• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

To be honest, it matters. Squatting in a lifting shoe is completely different than lifting in runners. Also, I get SO MUCH more out of my DL barefoot vs. in any shoe. As you progress later you'll make the best progress with proper footwear.

had to go barefoot the other day. it's probably because i switch between 2 shoes i can't figure out my footing (my shoes tend to run bigger because of wide feet)

Ugh, god, I'm right at my limit now with my cycling training. I'm starting to utterly dread every session because I know how much agony it's going to be.

Imagine having to do 5 sets of your 5 rep max for squats, with like, thirty second break, followed by another 5 sets of your 5 rep max for deadlift. Then when you've done that, maybe a couple of intervals.

That's how much dread these things are starting to fill me with. I've not failed one yet, but I don't know if my body can adapt fast enough to keep up with the program (they're not designed for people also doing weights).

JCX

To be honest, it matters. Squatting in a lifting shoe is completely different than lifting in runners. Also, I get SO MUCH more out of my DL barefoot vs. in any shoe. As you progress later you'll make the best progress with proper footwear.

By lifting shoes, do you mean the specialized ones, or do flat shoes like converses work?

BumRush

By lifting shoes, do you mean the specialized ones, or do flat shoes like converses work?

For me, the heel support in lifting shoes makes a world of difference. I'm sure it's different for everyone but it gives me a lot more stability / confidence.

SeanR1221

Im trying out that new gym on saturday for deadlifts...I took a tour today. 2 squat racks, a power rack, the bumper plates and a prowler are all pushing me over the edge.

I'll miss the staff at my current place, but it its what it is.

Im trying out that new gym on saturday for deadlifts...I took a tour today. 2 squat racks, a power rack, the bumper plates and a prowler are all pushing me over the edge.

I'll miss the staff at my current place, but it its what it is.

i need find a similar gym like that here. ;(

Teggy

Ugh, god, I'm right at my limit now with my cycling training. I'm starting to utterly dread every session because I know how much agony it's going to be.

Imagine having to do 5 sets of your 5 rep max for squats, with like, thirty second break, followed by another 5 sets of your 5 rep max for deadlift. Then when you've done that, maybe a couple of intervals.

That's how much dread these things are starting to fill me with. I've not failed one yet, but I don't know if my body can adapt fast enough to keep up with the program (they're not designed for people also doing weights).

Are you doing this with some goal in mind?

Chittagong

Gold Member
I've been doing the standard Starting Strength style barbell program for a while. Recently I have been thinking supporting it with a class based activity that would either improve my flexibility or strenghten my core, both of which help in compound lifts. At the risk of ridicule, which would be more useful, Yoga or Pilates?

Are you doing this with some goal in mind?

1: Kill self on bike to get faster.
2: ???
3: Profit.

In reality, I suppose I'm like some of the competitive guys here, but instead of with lifting, with cycling. I'm currently top 10% by most metrics (better uphill than down), but I want to see how far I can get.

Every year I plan on doing a ~24 hour independent time trial. Last year I was top 10. This year I want to be top 5. Next year I'd like to be top 3. Next year I also plan on entering, and finishing in the top half of one of the hardest mountain biking events on the planet (Leadville 100).

But yeah, I'll never be the 800lb Gorrilla when it comes to weights (would actually be counter productive), but I can definitely be a force to be reckoned with when it comes to endurance mountain biking.

At the risk of ridicule, which would be more useful, Yoga or Pilates?

Yoga. Do the right one and Yoga is fucking legit.

Teggy

1: Kill self on bike to get faster.
2: ???
3: Profit.

In reality, I suppose I'm like some of the competitive guys here, but instead of with lifting, with cycling. I'm currently top 10% by most metrics (better uphill than down), but I want to see how far I can get.

Every year I plan on doing a ~24 hour independent time trial. Last year I was top 10. This year I want to be top 5. Next year I'd like to be top 3. Next year I also plan on entering, and finishing in the top half of one of the hardest mountain biking events on the planet (Leadville 100).

OK, cool. I was wondering if you were training to do races or you were just a masochist ;)

The races are meaningless in reality (they're not worth anything, it's just personal achievement)... I'm pretty much a masochist.

Thing is, this all started with hating how badly it hurt to climb hills. It doesn't hurt quite as much any more, but I can do it somewhat faster.

Teggy

The races are meaningless in reality (they're not worth anything, it's just personal achievement)... I'm pretty much a masochist.

Thing is, this all started with hating how badly it hurt to climb hills. It doesn't hurt quite as much any more, but I can do it somewhat faster.

Personal achievement is still important. I have a friend who is #2 in the world in this crazy sport where you shoot pellets at targets with an air rifle. I don't think he gets anything significant financially out of it, but damn, that's cool and I'm sure he gets a lot of personal satisfaction out of it. Same for working out - it costs money and time, but if I look in the mirror and like what I see it's worth it.

Szu

Personal achievement is still important. I have a friend who is #2 in the world in this crazy sport where you shoot pellets at targets with an air rifle. I don't think he gets anything significant financially out of it, but damn, that's cool and I'm sure he gets a lot of personal satisfaction out of it. Same for working out - it costs money and time, but if I look in the mirror and like what I see it's worth it.

You tell your friend to aim at #1.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Awesome. I can see it increase flexibility which helps massively in squats (hips, hamstrings) and deadlift (hamstrings). And maybe it even helps to be more focused on the lift.

I have terrible hamstring flexibility, maybe I should take yoga classes. I hated the one I took a year + ago, but I was much fatter.

Teggy

You tell your friend to aim at #1.

Definitely sounds like something he can shoot for.

I'm sure he is, I'm sure he is. World Championships are in August in Portugal this year, so we'll see how he does. Guy is also an intestinal cancer survivor.

And look at the crazy-ass guns these guys use

ft9001-750x220.png

Squats are already going back up.
Been doing them three days a week and feel my stamina is picking up.
I am coming off a month break, working back up from a back strain. Was able to hit 335 for three reps at my peak, working back, slowly. Hit 265 for three, comfortably. I could hit 335 for 1 rep, I am sure, but I am working slowly back up. My legs feel strong, though.

My motto with the squat: go as low as you can where you still feel it in the thighs. Once you go TOO low, your knees get a lot of stress on them. Well, that's the case for me.

mdsfx

My motto with the squat: go as low as you can where you still feel it in the thighs. Once you go TOO low, your knees get a lot of stress on them. Well, that's the case for me.
Same here actually. I lose tightness and can feel my knees taking the weight.

Szu

I'm sure he is, I'm sure he is. World Championships are in August in Portugal this year, so we'll see how he does. Guy is also an intestinal cancer survivor.

And look at the crazy-ass guns these guys use

Well, it nice to know that he's got the guts for this sort of thing.

Mr. X

When the only people complimenting you are old men :(

One of then asked me to visit their boxing/kickboxing gym if I was interested so I guess my plan of a fighting physique is working. Would be fun goal to earn a boxing license I think.

Hi FitGAF!

Szu

When the only people complimenting you are old men :(

One of then asked me to visit their boxing/kickboxing gym if I was interested so I guess my plan of a fighting physique is working. Would be fun goal to earn a boxing license I think.

Hi FitGAF!

Hey, welcome back.

Kickboxer + old dude training =

vlcsnap-2015-08-24-17h15m28s3.png

SeanR1221

I do my brother's programming and yesterday after a 3x3 with 495 he pulled it for an amrap of 8. Back in January his max was 545, that amrap translates to a 620 deadlift. I think after another strength block and a peaking block he definitely will pull over 600. He competes at 183 lbs and right now probably weighs 193.

Amrap set: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Jsfqe1mum8OEc2R3lPNVJIdms/view?usp=drivesdk

Nice lifts! And I'm lol'ing at you guys just taking up a corner of the gym with your bags and chalk.

I squeezed every accessory movement for 1 second on each rep and my god the pump...the pump! It was pretty crazy.

Hey FitGad, semi-irregular poster here, but wanted to update you all.

On March 11, I posted that I wanted to (semi-seriously) have sick abs by the time I turn 30 in August. I think I can get there before if I keep focusing and trying. In all reality, I want to hit around 185lbs and just look cut for one of the first times in my life. I got close a few years ago, but really took the "bulk" too far for quite awhile.

So, this was me on March 11:

nYfx9b4.jpg

This is me today:
Progress.png

I'm down almost 15lbs. I still have a long way to go and some days I do better than others, but I'm really happy so far with the progress I've made. Additionally, I have put 10lbs on my front squat (305lbs now) and kept all my lifts steady.

Here's to August!

This cut I've decided to improve three major things...

1: Sleep. Unless absolutely forced to, no less than 7.5 hours a night.
2: Water. Second thing in the day (after my coffee) I'm drinking a pint of water, and then another shortly after that.
3: Supplements. I'm going to be adding some zinc and vitamin D to my normal multivit, having researched possible benefits. Half tempted to try CQ10... but I'd like to do it in such a way that I could tell if it's making a difference or not (it's quite expensive).

Only problem so far is if I drink too much water too late in the day. Obviously getting up to take a leak isn't conducive to a decent sleep.

This cut I've decided to improve three major things...

1: Sleep. Unless absolutely forced to, no less than 7.5 hours a night.
2: Water. Second thing in the day (after my coffee) I'm drinking a pint of water, and then another shortly after that.
3: Supplements. I'm going to be adding some zinc and vitamin D to my normal multivit, having researched possible benefits. Half tempted to try CQ10... but I'd like to do it in such a way that I could tell if it's making a difference or not (it's quite expensive).

Only problem so far is if I drink too much water too late in the day. Obviously getting up to take a leak isn't conducive to a decent sleep.
What are your thoughts on Carnitine, frequency and dosing? I'm researching interaction with my meds, currently. If it helps I might add that starting my cut next week.

For me I'd say it's probably unnecessary as most of my protein comes from meat. I usually eat red meat at least every other day. For those that don't get a lot of red meat, I guess you could consider adding up your carnitine sources and seeing where you are with it.

That said... the benefits of L-Carnitine supplementation are, well, ehh. Unless you're trying and failing to make babies. :)

For me I'd say it's probably unnecessary as most of my protein comes from meat. I usually eat red meat at least every other day. For those that don't get a lot of red meat, I guess you could consider adding up your carnitine sources and seeing where you are with it.

That said... the benefits of L-Carnitine supplementation are, well, ehh. Unless you're trying and failing to make babies. :)
Thanks dude!

Top Bottom