• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been asking this how many times has she retweeted them?

Monolith Soft has been on Nintendo Directs before so I am sure she must have tweeted those

As I said on the last page...three times:

1. One where Monolith Soft was announced to be working on a Wii U game

2. One where Iwata unboxed the Wii U and talked about Miiverse / Wii U system features

3. This upcoming one.

Kyzon

I need my gf to watch this too. If she gets hype enough, she won't be mad that Nintendo has prematurely broken into our wallets for the next few months.

AzaK

It's just random guesswork on my side, but I feel that if Nintendo want to reassure investors and customers, they need to announce something mainstream, something with mass-appeal and a big sales potential like a 3D Mario, and they would not rely too much on niche RPGs, that makes me wonder, what if MonolithSoft were working on something based on a Nintendo IP, like a Luigi/Mario action RPG?
That would be both big and unexpected.
You're right but I think even the enthusiast gamer is a bit like warm on Wii U. Get them hyped and that feeds to the press and gets marketing rolling a bit more. But yes, they need a killer app. Something like Mario can ride that line between casual like Mario Kart and enthusiast gamer. Less sales than Kart but still very solid and better sales than hardcore titles like Metroid.

B.K.

That'd be rather disappointing and depressing, yet another studio bought to work on their IPs. Might be their inevitable outcome though, but I doubt Takahashi will be working on anything Mario related so it'd be another series.

They should let Takahashi make a Zelda game. I haven't played Skyward Sword, but from what I've read of the story, it sounds like something he would have done.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's going to be Game and Wario, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, Lego City and then a little tease for Smash Bros.

zroid

Banned
I simply can't contain my hype for this, however unreasonable it might be

halp (._. )

So do we have any source for this being about new games, or could this just be Pikmin, Game and Wario, and Wii Fit U?

4y0AhoP.png

Thraktor

They should let Takahashi make a Zelda game. I haven't played Skyward Sword, but from what I've read of the story, it sounds like something he would have done.

Monolith worked on Skyward Sword, so the the fact that you think it seems like one of his games is not entirely co-incidental.

Darryl

Banned
this monolith game was one of the inevitable 2013 releases imo (along with Smash Bros). i can totally imagine a little bit of panic in Japan with the current sales and them needing something to steer them in the right direction over the next 6 months

I wonder if we'll see anything from Mistwalker.

i doubt they have the money or team size to push one out this fast. maybe in a year we'll start hearing about it

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
On the plus side, this Direct is now guaranteed to deliver in one way or another. Announcements or meltdowns.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
man i can't wait for another 45 minutes of one goddamn game in game & wario

Yup, and then finally a release date, their only game for Q1.

Monolith worked on Skyward Sword, so the the fact that you think it seems like one of his games is not entirely co-incidental.

Takahashi wasn't involved, all the MonolithSoft people are credited in the staff roll.

Thraktor

On the plus side, this Direct is now guaranteed to deliver in one way or another. Announcements or meltdowns.

I vote both.

this monolith game was one of the inevitable 2013 releases imo (along with Smash Bros). i can totally imagine a little bit of panic in Japan with the current sales and them needing something to steer them in the right direction over the next 6 months

I wouldn't say Smash Bros is guaranteed to come out in 2013, given the development timeframe and the fact that they're making versions for both Wii U and 3DS, it could well be pushed back to 2014. Monolith's game is pretty much a lock (for Japan, at least) for 2013, though, as it would have to exceed 3 and a half years of development time to run to 2014, which is excessive even by Nintendo's standards.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Huh, I don't think Smash Brothers is going to come this year to be honest.

if nothing about monolith gets announced ban everyone in the thread, lock the gaming forum, and destroy the servers with a sledgehammer

Goody

I could see a Monolith announcement. They may be thinking to save a Retro announcement for E3. What'd I'd really love to see is a Wii VC announcement.

I don't know, though. I'd be announcing the best I have now to earn some good graces and get some hardware sales before MS and Sony announce anything.

I don't expect Mario, Zelda, or Metroid.

Makonero

The recent Itoi/Mother comments. The Monolith Soft teaser. The possibilities!

MUST. NOT. HYPE.

Just think, a full on Earthbound Remake. Ness, Paula, Poo and Jeff, full HD glory. New sidequests, quirkier bosses, the same wonderful weird plot and lots of Mr. Saturns, boing!

Nintendude712

Neo Member
Wii U Virtual Console with free license transfers from Wii VC, please.

That would be enough for me, but some new game announcements sound cool too, and hopefully talk about a big system update. Maybe with a Photo Channel like the Wii, Wii mode improvements, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom