• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prototype 2 |OT| There's a Prototype 2?

george_us

Man I'm not sure about the changes that were made from P1. The control changes to jumping and gliding are just...odd and makes it hard to get a good flow running. Getting rid of strong attacks entirely is pretty disappointing as well as the targeting being worse than P1s.

Kind of disappointed with the game so far.

Ahasverus

I'm liking it. It's an Activision game so I have the lowest of quality bars for it, but asides the horrendous graphics and simple gameplay, I think it could be good in small chunks.

Also, story is GOOD, like, really good. A surprise for sure!

I'm liking it. It's an Activision game so I have the lowest of quality bars for it, but asides the horrendous graphics and simple gameplay, I think it could be good in small chunks.

Graphics for the 360 were quite surprising. In a good way. Being a PC gamer I dont have high expectations so I am quite happy.

Im glad they added in the catch up thing. I played number 1 on hard and got stuck at mission 17 or something sigh. Sad I never finished it but with my backlog I wasn't prepared to start again.

I liked the story as well, finished it today, got a lot of lairs and blackwatch missions so i was HIGH POWERED.. the last battle was an interesting rock paper scissors match.. i actually liked J.Heller despite his tropes, would love a third but co-op or don't bother.

Xander51

I'm actually pretty impressed at how good the graphics are in this. I always liked the look of the first game though.

The only thing that has bugged me in the gameplay so far is only having one attack button. It feels a little limited compared to the other game, and most other character action games that have two or more attack buttons.

Gamespot gave it a
iz99N4DSGe6Y6.jpg

ibhKOovmUfHpJ9.JPG

http://www.gamespot.com/prototype-2/reviews/prototype-2-review-6373248/

Yo Gotti

Banned
Game is all around awesome.

Graphics aren't the greatest but it looks damn good for all the action, lighting and particle effects happening on screen at once. Playing the PS3 version the framerate barely ever drops.

The controls are a bit different than P1, and are awkward at first but after a while you get used to them.

Lots of bias against the game for some reason, and the lame comparisons to Infamous don't help. If this game were billed as a Wolverine based open-world game people would be calling it one of the best superhero games ever. Which it really is. Everything related to the traversal and combat is so damn satisfying and fun to do. Obviously the story lacks in "depth", realism or whatever but it's entertaining. Heller and the antagonists you hunt throughout the game have made me laugh more than a few times with their deliberately over-the-top commentary.

If I had one complaint about the game it's that the unlocks are basically tied to the story and sidequests. So no going apeshit and gathering a bunch of XP just to level up abilities. Also, I wish there was more people hunting using the Sonar, that part of the game reminds me of Crackdown 1 a bit, and I wish it was more prominent.

Playing 360 version.

Graphic is pretty awesome compared to the first: nice lightining effects, better faces, more detailed.
I have played only a couple of hours but the gameplay seems a polished version of Prototype, i miss the jump charge though.
The ones who enjoyed the first will like this, but i feel like the developers put much effort in refining the engine than in creating new gameplay elements.

Sojgat

I don't remember it even have fog...

It did, but what seems to be the difference in Prototype 2 is that the street level is totally obscured from great heights, but the tops of the buildings are all still drawn in more detail. As you can see in the pictures posted above, in the first game everything was fogged in lower detail but you could still see down to street level.

Jaroof

Gotta say, I really hate what they've done to the lock-on system.
It kinda ruins the game for me, at times.
The enemy has to be on the screen in order for you to lock on; even if they're right off the edge of the screen, you can't lock onto them.

Also, I've found that it will lock on to someone completely far away from me, when I'm trying to lock on to someone right next to me..
Changing targets isn't even smooth!
It really needed more work.

Lock-on issues aside, I'm having with a blast with this game.

So how is everyone feel about the difficulty in the game? In the first, it got to a point where I didn't feel very powerful against enemies and a lot of the encounters were frustrating (especially some of the boss/bigger enemy battles.) Overall I found it a tad difficult for my personal taste/skillset.

I watched the gamespot review and they pretty much said that you walk around destroying everything like a badass and that the game is pretty easy, "almost no challenge", but that actually sounds like a fun time to me.

Just curious, thinking about picking this up on the way home from work today, need something to tide me over to Diablo 3.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
So how is everyone feel about the difficulty in the game? In the first, it got to a point where I didn't feel very powerful against enemies and a lot of the encounters were frustrating (especially some of the boss/bigger enemy battles.) Overall I found it a tad difficult for my personal taste/skillset.

I watched the gamespot review and they pretty much said that you walk around destroying everything like a badass and that the game is pretty easy, "almost no challenge", but that actually sounds like a fun time to me.

Just curious, thinking about picking this up on the way home from work today, need something to tide me over to Diablo 3.

The game can be frustrating at times, especially when you have
Infected, Evolved, and Brawlers
all trying to kill you at the same time. If you liked the first Prototype, then this game is pretty much up your alley.

Zabka

The game clicked for me once I got the tendrils and loaded up on movement upgrades. The changes to jumping work just fine.

The RADNet system is ridiculous though. Locking away skill challenges for used game buyers is one thing. Making them date-based unlocks is just dumb.

If I had one complaint about the game it's that the unlocks are basically tied to the story and sidequests. So no going apeshit and gathering a bunch of XP just to level up abilities.
Not good. That design choice right there discourages free roaming fun, the thing I had the most fun in with Prototype 1.

Jac_Solar

Gotta say, I really hate what they've done to the lock-on system.
It kinda ruins the game for me, at times.
The enemy has to be on the screen in order for you to lock on; even if they're right off the edge of the screen, you can't lock onto them.

Also, I've found that it will lock on to someone completely far away from me, when I'm trying to lock on to someone right next to me..
Changing targets isn't even smooth!
It really needed more work.

Lock-on issues aside, I'm having with a blast with this game.

Agreed. I posted here earlier regarding that issue, and the cinematic 'events' where the camera shifts to a mob while pausing the gameplay, along with the extreme amount of slow mo's during/after a move or combo. It totally breaks up the flow of the fighting, and is extremely annoying.

*minor spoilers*

I just finished the game, and I found it to be somewhat disappointing. I expected many more 'moves, or mechanics, and stuff to do. I think they implied that there would be many more abilities and such, but then the new stuff turns out to be +10% dmg to rifle, or an ability, or whatever. Simple ability modifiers. I might have misread an article/preview or whatever, though. But I did expect the game to offer many new mechanics.

But, didn't the first game have buff modifiers for the abilities?

And all the moves, except the Tentacle one (I think.), are copied directly from the first game. Why didn't they make an entirely new set for a new game?

Ie; Why didn't they do more stuff with the shield? I expected them to let you upgrade your shield, perhaps move around with it, running through the streets pushing away cars like a truck, or even some combat animations for it.

I also expected the move/weapon upgrades to change the graphics of the weapon type.

You basically have a couple of abilities/moves (weapons.), and that's it -- you can slightly upgrade the range and damage, but that's it. Based on previews/interviews, I expected FAR more, like new graphics per upgrade, or perhaps a combination system that lets the user combine various abilities for unique effects.

Static world, static combat system; it's incredibly shallow. The world looks quite nice, but it's completely empty and boring, cause, besides the quests themselves and the 'side quest' types that last for 20 minutes per island, there is nothing else to do. Even the main story feels empty cause of the generic and repetitive quest types -- the entire SP game is built around (More or less.) 2 quest types; consume someone, infiltrate a base. There are also a couple of 'tasks', like fighting mobs, picking up packages -- probably some more as well, but I can't remember at the moment.

Exploration is also pointless cause it doesn't seem like there's any bonus content, or any content outside of the side quests/quests whatsoever. During the beginning of the game, the game establishes its gameplay rules: it shows you the weapons you can pick up and use, the types of objects you can interact with and throw, and how some of the basic abilities work. You can also fly 2 different types of helicopters (A personell carrier type and a fighter helicopter.), and drive 2 different types of 'tanks' (An APC and a tank.). That is it, and there does not seem to be any additional 'content' hidden anywhere based on how the game plays.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Not good. That design choice right there discourages free roaming fun, the thing I had the most fun in with Prototype 1.

Don't get me wrong. The side quests are much more interesting this time around, they're woven into the story nicely and there are quite a few of them, but there are little to no other activities you can do purely for XP. You can free-roam if you'd like, but I feel obligated to do them whenever I see them. The game does a better job of making you want to progress with the promise of entertaining story bits and power-ups.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is there any way to look for all the skill up consumes in an area? I'm pretty sure I got them all, but there doesn't seem to be a list for it or anything like the collectibles have.

I've been playing for awhile now, and it's become EXTREMELY annoying. Why, WHY would they implement such an awful feature in a game that's all about fighting? It breaks the flow of the fighting completely, it's pointless and just all around awful.

I found that slow-mo useful because those brief snippets let me see what should be concentrated on next or where rocket fire is coming from, etc. I felt much more in control of the combat in P2 over P1.

I'm not getting the complaints about the fog either, but that might just be me. Same with the difficulty level. I really don't understand that. If you want a super challenge set the game to "Hard." Sheesh!

1UP - C+ http://www.1up.com/reviews/prototype-2-review

Prototype 2 allows you to indulge in the amazing fantasy of embodying a Superman-esque protagonist with a massive chip on his shoulder. Instead of protecting Metropolis from the forces of evil, you are the embodiment of chaos whose sole goal is to cause as much violence and destruction as possible, which would be great if the game didn't trap you within the confines of a boring and uninspired playground.
ih854DBnmOT0O.png

Official Xbox Magazine - 8.0 http://www.oxmonline.com/prototype-2-review

CheatCC - 4.3 out of 5 http://www.cheatcc.com/xbox360/rev/prototype2review2.html

Graphics 4.1 - This isn't the best looking game out there, but the graphics have seen a tremendous improvement since the original game.

Control 4.3 - It isn't perfect as Heller doesn't always respond as quickly as he should, but causing chaos has never been so visceral and so much fun.

Music / Sound FX / Voice Acting 4.1 - The voice work is solid, and never has slicing through dozens of unsuspecting soldiers sounded so good.

Play Value 4.6 - There's a meaty campaign with a great selection of minigames and side quests to break up the pace.

Gamefront - 80 http://www.gamefront.com/prototype-2-review/

Pros:
Open world is fun to explore and move around
Lots of things to do and enemies to kill
Does well to provide you a pretty constant means of becoming stronger and unlocking new abilities
Difficulty, while kind of light, arcs well to make sure you’re always at least somewhat challenged
Cutscene presentation is pretty cool
James Heller is a great, no-bulls–t character

Cons:
God-awful targeting system
Side missions get a touch repetitive
Earlier areas of the game are a lot less cool than its final area
Enemies are pretty dumb and stealth system is hardly stealthy

Eurogamer - 7 http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-25-prototype-2-review

Radical's refined Prototype, in other words, but it hasn't tamed it. This is still an explosive, exhilarating and sometimes rather exhausting game in which the heroes have sharp hands and bottomless appetites for innocent bystanders and the villains expire in floods of gore and take whole city blocks with them as they go. By this point, Prototype doesn't feel like a sandbox series in its own right so much as the mad, babbling id of the entire open-world genre - with all the inconsistencies and extravagances that implies.

EGM - 8.5 http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-prototype-2/

SUMMARY: The rough controls of the first Prototype have been tweaked and revamped to allow for a more user-friendly experience. The story also flows a lot more smoothly than the more conspiracy-driven first game. Unfortunately, even with Heller’s different powers, Prototype 2 does become tedious at times as there is little variety in mission parameters, but you should still find some fun in blowing up everything that gets in your way.

THE GOOD: Many of the rough edges from the first game have been smoothed out
THE BAD: Lack of game play variety
THE UGLY: All non-human bad guys look like something you would puke up.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I go back and forth on hating/liking Heller. All the swearing's ridiculous, but then he'll say something like he did to
Galloway
about how their friend isn't even a grease spot on the floor anymore.

surly

Banned

I'm a third of the way through it playing on normal. If you like a challenge, you'll definitely find normal too easy. Normal in this game is like easy in other games IMO.

kamspy

If this game is priced right on PC when it launches ($29.99 for being late and basically map pack for P1) I'll pick it up. I'm a sucker for open world games and I had some fun with the first one.

This game looked so much better in the early previews though.

So, can you be The Guyver in this one?

too serious mode reply:

sadly, the manga and anime appear to be somewhat too niche for people to consider making a game from it, even though it would fit the medium a lot better than most conversions between media.
but that's not how investors reason, unfortunately. :(
(although I can imagine several studios may have tried the concept and failed to produce one worth playing, as we see only a small fraction of the total amount of ideas and concepts studios try or work on)

/ too serious mode

The Darksiders complete armor came close though. The collector armor from ME2 is also somewhat Guyver-ish.

too serious mode reply:

sadly, the manga and anime appear to be somewhat too niche for people to consider making a game from it, even though it would fit the medium a lot better than most conversions between media.
but that's not how investors reason, unfortunately. :(
(although I can imagine several studios may have tried the concept and failed to produce one worth playing, as we see only a small fraction of the total amount of ideas and concepts studios try or work on)

/ too serious mode

The Darksiders complete armor came close though. The collector armor from ME2 is also somewhat Guyver-ish.

So, full armor like in the first is out?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's most likely in. Your d-pad up is weapons, left is disguise, and right is normal Heller. Bottom d-pad hasn't been used yet, and that's where it was in the previous game. I have no idea what it looks like though.

SimplyJah

So bored of my current games right now I was planning on buying this today. Until I came here and read that they're holding onto the PC version until July? By July I will be beyond caring about this game, unfortunate to say the least. Does this whole schtick of holding onto the PC version to foil the pirates actually work?

Xander51

I played a good chunk of the first Prototype today (never actually finished that game when it first came out, but I've always meant to get around to it) and WOW the second one is a huge improvement. The graphics are much better, as are the pacing of the story and the feel of the combat. Really not getting the hate on this game. Those saying it's identical to the first should go back and check out the first like I did, the differences are impressive side-by-side.

EDIT: Also, I completely love the tendrils. The physics on them are really cool.

Claude

Catalina's bitch

Thanks. Updated the OT.

Also, on a side note: I was exploring the Midtown rooftops in the Red Zone. I see this pedestrian, one of the very few I've seen in the Red Zone. Anyways, he's standing on the edge of the roof, facing me. He slowly spreads his arms out and drops down. I go to grab him, but I was too late.

Not very significant, but I thought it was a nice little thing to discover.

BurningNad

Also, on a side note: I was exploring the Midtown rooftops in the Red Zone. I see this pedestrian, one of the very few I've seen in the Red Zone. Anyways, he's standing on the edge of the roof, facing me. He slowly spreads his arms out and drops down. I go to grab him, but I was too late.

Not very significant, but I thought it was a nice little thing to discover.
That's pretty awesome.

Top Bottom