• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 : First Screens (from Alpha Build]

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
If I was seeing alpha cel-shading, comments about "SHURRUP ITS ALPHA" would be bang on. I'm looking at models made for traditionally lit environments though and theres no magic 'now its cel-shaded!' switch in-game that wouldn't be gigantically resource intensive.

As for the "cost" of 2D sprites:

Mighty No. 9: $3,845,170
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero: $776,084

This is why Kickstarters without a representative prototype just feel like bullhonkey. You go from this:
a4d2477d01ae7a44bffec74b42906c0d_large.jpg

to the above. Of course people are gonna feel let down when all those 2D art visuals were what were heavily hitting the Mega Man nostalgia gland.

I also remember this song and dance from the Unreal Engine prototype they showed a while back, with the same sort of "wait and see" merry go round.
But they made it very clear back then in the Kickstarter that that was ART, not what the game was going to look like. It even says right underneath those images "Note: All images on this page are concept art and not actual in-game screens." They even explained outright that it was going to be sidescrolling 3D with polygons and had the target render which this actually looks pretty close to, aside from Beck not being as big on-screen as he was in the target.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
But they made it very clear back then in the Kickstarter that that was ART, not what the game was going to look like. It even says right underneath those images "Note: All images on this page are concept art and not actual in-game screens." They even explained outright that it was going to be sidescrolling 3D with polygons and had the target render which this actually looks pretty close to, aside from Beck not being as big on-screen as he was in the target.

I knew that, hence why I personally didn't back it. No prototype, no go.

A lot of other people however wont be as acutely aware of the gulf that exists between concept art and reality, especially in an age of perfected cel-shading on show in titles like Guilty Gear Xrd and Naruto Ninja Storm.

If Capcom were smart, they'd have a 2D HD Megaman in dev right now to capitalise on disappointment, much like the Ouya hero-to-zero getting replaced by the real next gen consoles. They're not though, so lulzords.

Bururian

When someone shows an Alpha of a game, why do people always say "I hope it looks better than this" That's a really stupid thing to say. It's an Alpha, it's always going to look better in the final stages. Especially from the people making this.

epmode

When someone shows an Alpha of a game, why do people always say "I hope it looks better than this" That's a really stupid thing to say. It's an Alpha, it's always going to look better in the final stages. Especially from the people making this.

Quite a few of the crowdfunded projects I'm following have shied away from very early footage precisely because of silly reactions like these. Even explaining exactly what to expect in an alpha doesn't keep people from complaining.

Kinda disappointed it's not hand drawn art instead of 3D, but it's looking pretty good in this early build. Can't wait to see more.

injurai

Banned
Kinda disappointed it's not hand drawn art instead of 3D, but it's looking pretty good in this early build. Can't wait to see more.

Cost and scale probably have something to do with it. With 2D art you have to make a whole bunch of redundant resolution assets to fit different frame buffers. It's much easier if you are doing pixel perfect art on say a single handheld platform.

TheMink

"We deserve to know about the dev process every step of the way cause we paid for it!!!"

"Ewww pre alpha graphics look pre alpha...."

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Mesoian

I knew that, hence why I personally didn't back it. No prototype, no go.

A lot of other people however wont be as acutely aware of the gulf that exists between concept art and reality, especially in an age of perfected cel-shading on show in titles like Guilty Gear Xrd and Naruto Ninja Storm.

If Capcom were smart, they'd have a 2D HD Megaman in dev right now to capitalise on disappointment, much like the Ouya hero-to-zero getting replaced by the real next gen consoles. They're not though, so lulzords.

I don't think there's anyone at Capcom interested in making a Megaman game. I think that, if you were to get such a thing, it would end up being done by someone like Yahct Club games or Way Forward, something I would love but Megaman fans see as some unholy deal with satan for some reason (I honestly don't get this, Might Switch Force was great).

Zalman

I'm hoping for a more colorful look, but honestly I don't care too much. I know the gameplay and the music will be excellent. That's what I'm excited about.

I think the game looks fine and roughly what I expected.

I warned people the concept art wasn't a screenshot when the kickstarter went up and people told me I was being unnecessarily negative.

Funny, that.

DedValve

Banned
Game looks terrible. Whats up with the horrendous bloom? wheres the 2D cel-shaded overlayed onto 3D art? Why is there no playable demo yet? release date? what the fuck inafune, I placed all my trust and money on you and this project and I'm extremely disappointed.

I demand a refund, a hand written apology and maybe even some compensation in the form of plushies. Go back to capcom you lazy bum.

I think I've about summed it all up in one post right?

There is a reason why game developers are so hesitant to communicate with their fans because a lot of people lack the ability to read and common sense.

As a backer,I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Those screens look way too early to pass any judgement on, sorry. Just glad they are letting us in on the process.

Even if it did go for that 'look', I would still give it the benefit of the doubt because I know the gameplay will most likely be solid, it is Inafune guys remember that.

well this game looks like a less cute powered up to me and that's not a bad thing

mega-man-powered-up--20060223112809.jpg

223812-mega-man-powered-up-psp-screenshot-mega-man-firing-turretss.jpg

megamanpoweredup01.jpg

Nope... I liked Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X but the 3D look didn't really suit the game in my opinion. I prefer 2D in any side scrollers because it just looks better, more colorful, detailed and crisp.

I wish companies wouldn't do this 3D stuff just for the sake of mainstream acceptance. 2D visuals can look so much better and more creative than bland and washed-out 3D... I know these M no.9 pics are too early to judge, but I'm a little sad they are going for the 3D-look instead of the nice and sharp 2D look they shows in the KS

a1d0e45fc7a68f4c962f2ebcd7a2210c_large.jpg

Megaman X4 was absolutely beautiful and still looks great:

6a00d83452033569e200e54f60fecf8834-800wi.png

This Megaman X7 or X8... UGLY as fuck:

Megaman+X8+Snapshot+2.jpg

studyguy

The reactions in this thread are disappointing.
Game looks fine to me for an alpha build, looks like they'll stack up to the PSP Megaman games. Those were solid.

I love the 3D models for the characters. I was worried that the characters would be 2D sprites, but it seems my fears were unfounded.

People who're up in arms about this clearly haven't read shit.

Directly from the Kickstart FAQ:

We realize it can be hard to envision the project, since everything we’ve shown so far are mockups made for design documents. We do want to be clear this is no retro de-make; the fidelity we based our budget on to set our initial Kickstarter goal is for a game in-line with AAA current-gen console (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U) 2D download titles. We can also safely say the plan is to use what is often called the “2.5D” setup: 3D models for characters and most objects, with the gameplay in 2D.

But maybe a better way of thinking about it is this: No matter what, Mighty No. 9 won’t be pushing the technological envelope of what the hottest AAA next-gen games are doing, but that’s not the point; the point is it’s going to look awesome—at least so awesome, in terms of both design and tech, that you won’t be thinking about how many polygons or shaders or GURPS or whatever that it’s pushing or not pushing. If you’re still wondering, you could look at the two developers working on Mighty No. 9, look at their previous games, look at the early art and overall production value you see evident on this page, and decide for yourself what they are capable of. Either way, we are confident that, if you were interested enough in the game to read this far into the page, you don’t need to worry about this.

If you backed this without really comprehending, you have my sympathy but not my patience. And that last sentence is kind of funny in retrospect.

Isn't anyone else pleased to see what looks like a dash move in the 2nd screen?

mdamman

Neo Member
The real question here is why is he watching his employees on a TV that has PS3 icons on the bottom?

I think that's the most telling part of this. Clearly Mighty Number 9 is just a smoke screen for the AR version of Game Dev Story that they're really developing. Diabolical.

While I agree in principle, I do feel obliged to point out that most fans I've spoken to understand the realities game dev worse than most publishers. Most publishers, at least. There are some...

True, we can be clueless at times like being pretentious budget analysts ever since that whole Skullgirls thing.

-PXG-

I'm upset I never donated towards this. My mouth is watering over this game. I have nothing but great confidence that Inafune and his team will knock it out.

I want a demo. I don't care if it's a shitty alpha build with placeholder junk. I just want to know how it feels.

Midou

The reactions in this thread are disappointing.
Game looks fine to me for an alpha build, looks like they'll stack up to the PSP Megaman games. Those were solid.

Early reactions for a kickstarter are always kind of funny to watch. Everyone was super mad at the first bit of Pillars of Eternity art, now it looks better than could have been expected.

This is the double edged sword of early reveals.

Azure J

*cries about mega man for years on end*

*rejects new mega man game on a couple alpha screens*

Seriously. :lol

These guys made the fucking Mega Man Zero series and anyone's worried about how the game will look/play from Day -730 footage? This stuff will get sorted out down the line. I'm just happy to see more experimentation with the game engine.

sn00zer

If anyone has ever wondered why devs keep all of their development secret from the rest of the world...this is why....
It is truly amazing how many people are shitting on alpha/prealpha footage..... you guys are ridiculous (not all of you obviously)
EDIT: Also lol at people comparing alpha footage to concept art

Vibranium

Banned
Looking good so far, it's alpha of course. Hopefully they give it some more time to show off another look at the game so people can be more impressed. I'm happy as a backer still.

This is partly why there is so much secrecy in the industry with upcoming projects; they might not be presentable enough.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm honestly surprised at the negative responses to this. These pictures are pretty much exactly what I expected at this stage. For anyone backing the project without doing the proper research, you have no one to blame but yourselves. If you think concept art = alpha (or even final) build, you're uninformed.

I think it looks good.

KoopaTheCasual

Nope... I liked Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X but the 3D look didn't really suit the game in my opinion. I prefer 2D in any side scrollers because it just looks better, more colorful, detailed and crisp.

I wish companies wouldn't do this 3D stuff just for the sake of mainstream acceptance. 2D visuals can look so much better and more creative than bland and washed-out 3D... I know these M no.9 pics are too early to judge, but I'm a little sad they are going for the 3D-look instead of the nice and sharp 2D look they shows in the KS
Phew, that's a relief. Thankfully, I don't think Inafune is purposefully shooting for bland and washed-out 3D. IMO, 3D has the capacity to look infinitely better than any 2D sprite. Look at Guilty Gear Xrd for an example of matching that color and vibrance, while still adding an entire new dimension. The only shame here is that there is no sign of them attempting cel-shading. But pre-alpha gonna pre-alpha. I'll wait till their further along, or sound off on the official forum, if I'm really bothered by the direction (which I'm sure many people have already done, when these screens surfaced).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Looks promising outside of the bad design for the protagonist. The art somehow makes it less grating though.

Will probably pick this up on whatever console/PC I own around that time.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Leave it to GAF to whine about incredibly unfinished early alpha graphics. They're literally just testing the lighting, engine, and momentum.

Here's the actual quote from the forum:

So, I now have to appear here in the forum as my true identity: Nick the Producer™.

Alright enough messing around, let’s get down to business.

As some of you may know, last week we had the α2 ROM delivered on the dot by Inti Creates.
Inafune has played it and he LOVES it.

Let me repeat that, Inafune LOVED the α2 ROM.

It’s still rough visually, but the core feeling of a great side scrolling action game is sooo there.
Let’s just say that I can already picture people posting time attack videos on Youtube. It’s that well made!

Top Bottom