• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2017 (Apr 10 - Apr 16)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Bloodborne did extremely well for a new IP early on in PS4's lifespan though. You can't tell me that's not a successful venture for From and Sony just because it sold less than the 3rd entry in a popular multiplatform IP.

If it was sold multiplatform I assure you it would have sold better. It's sales on the steam alone would ensure it since Dark souls is a million seller on steam. Bloodborne is way too similar to Dark souls for the fact it's a new IP would be a substantial hindrance.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Which games did that happen with?

People weren't really trashing the PS4 they were trashing the XB1 and Snake pass and Lego city. Lego city actually has a higher resolution than the xb1 version which made people loose their shit (since resolution is all that matters).

Kyoufu

If it was sold multiplatform I assure you it would have sold better. It's sales on the steam alone would ensure it since Dark souls is a million seller on steam.

Well, that's obvious and applies to anything and everything. Doesn't mean you can't find success on a single platform, or in SF5's case, two platforms.

SF5 was on two platforms and bombed because of Capcom's failure in appealing to a casual audience through the lack of content. Simple as that, really.

cheesekao

I think it's a reasonable expectation it's near and or long passed that mark. 4G actually charted well in the NPD it launched in.
I have no idea how to access archived pages for MH4U but based on the data we have from MHX.

3.3 million (before WW release)
4.2 million (after WW release)

Before you say "But it's a spin-off!", MHX sold better than 4U overall so I think it's a good point of comparison. That would put WW sales at >900k and western sales further below that.

Oregano

I think it's a reasonable expectation it's near and or long passed that mark. 4G actually charted well in the NPD it launched in.

Where's that brain tapping gif.

Over 2 million

edit: Consumer's followed it's lead have a look at the Vita's Ltd and compare it to the PSP

Damn I missed the 2 million bit, touche.

That's kind of my point though, MH was relevant only to Playstation Portables. They're dead now.

Well yeah, they all decided to drop support for the Switch once they saw Disgaea 5 bombing after all. Inevitable consequence.

Well NIS' new games all seem to be skipping Switch, including the UE4 Crafting game.

More importantly there's no third party game which is making people buy a Switch. Switch's success so far is all down to Nintendo alone.

The fact the sales hasn't been reported since then doesn't exactly help your point. 2 million is the cap so far we've seen for Japanese exclusives on the PS4 or there about. Mainline MH games sell 4.1 million in Japan alone. If your talking about Xb1 PC and PS4 then yes I agree though at that point they may as well port to switch.

2 million in 6 months, and you think Bloodborne wouldn't do another million 18 months later after a new expansion and numerous sales.....

You're cap makes little sense considering how an IP's significance has a clear role to play: for instance FFXV shipped near 5 million on PS4 in a couple of months while Persona 5 shipped 1 million in its first month overseas. Both are still notable successes concerning overseas sales.

Also no. Capcom's very own page shows WW sales of MH titles being 4.1-4.2 million.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well, that's obvious and applies to anything and everything. Doesn't mean you can't find success on a single platform, or in SF5's case, two platforms.

SF5 was on two platforms and bombed because of Capcom's failure in appealing to a casual audience through the lack of content. Simple as that, really.

Finding success and loosing out on a million plus sales doesn't strike me as a worthwhile tradeoff unless your really skint as a publisher. It's why these sorts of exclusives are becoming more and more rare.

People weren't really trashing the PS4 they were trashing the XB1 and Snake pass and Lego city. Lego city actually has a higher resolution than the xb1 version which made people loose their shit (since resolution is all that matters).

Seriously ? Ho I think I missed a fun thread.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
2 million in 6 months, and you think Bloodborne wouldn't do another million 1.5 years later after a new expansion and numerous sales.....

You're cap makes little sense considering how an IP's significance has a clear role to play: for instance FFXV shipped near 5 million on PS4 in a couple of months while Persona 5 shipped 1 million in its first month overseas. Both are still notable successes concerning overseas sales.

Front loaded sales for these sorts of games exists. If it had sold 4+ million do you not think it would have been mentioned somewhere. Your argument relies entirely on hypotheticals.

What?? The Switch version is higher res than the XB1 version? Lmao

Not that I care about that stuff, but that's hilarious since so many people care about that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

That's kind of my point though, MH was relevant only to Playstation Portables. They're dead now.

Well NIS' new games all seem to be skipping Switch, including the UE4 Crafting game.

More importantly there's no third party game which is making people buy a Switch. Switch's success so far is all down to Nintendo alone.

So, if I get this correctly, you're implying that, due to Disgaea 5 results, NIS has already dropped the potential Switch they had in the pipeline for the near future, ignoring the healthy state of the platform as a whole?

sense

If you can get 1.5 on the 3DS and its not enough for Capcom, why would 1.5 on the PS4 be good?

I'm just confused as to what people think a good result is if the plan is to "grow" the series.
Not sure how much more clear I can be. I am not saying 1.5 would be good. That is just my prediction on what it could do. Capcom on the other hand will go in expecting 2 to 3 million with a PS4 port. Whether they meet that or not is an altogether different conversation. Capcom is not going to go i saying we did 1.5 on 3ds let's put in more money and make a PS4 port and expect the same amount of sales.

Front loaded sales for these sorts of games exists. If it had sold 4+ million do you not think it would have been mentioned somewhere. Your argument relies entirely on hypotheticals.

I said 3 million and pray tell why we would be getting game sales update for every million sold lol

No:

LordKano

NIS already dropping support because two games that will bomb far worse than D5C aren't on Switch. I'm sure they regret these claims in Famitsu, at a time where they believed D5C would set the charts on fire.

On the breaking news side, it seems like Nintendo games sells Nintendo consoles, especially when there aren't anything else than Nintendo games on it. Must be a scoop from Kotaku.

Monster Hunter 4G is at 2.6 million in Japan. According to capcom 4G/4U sold 4.1 million world wide. So unless my math is incorrect yes it did sell over a million in the West.

What's the sauce on the 2.6m? I have it at 2.55m on Media Create by the end of 2015. I'm assuming digital sales are not 50k, so I'm struggling here.

NIS already dropping support because two games that will bomb far worse than D5C aren't on Switch. I'm sure they regret these claims in Famitsu, at a time where they believed D5C would set the charts on fire.

On the breaking news side, it seems like Nintendo games sells Nintendo consoles, especially when there aren't anything else than Nintendo games on it. Must be a scoop from Kotaku.

Honestly, I can't tell who's being serious and who's being sarcastic. Lol

Kyoufu

Finding success and loosing out on a million plus sales doesn't strike me as a worthwhile tradeoff unless your really skint as a publisher. It's why these sorts of exclusives are becoming more and more rare.

Sometimes it makes more sense to start with a single platform and then branch out from there if you gained any kind of momentum. I'll use Demon's Souls as an example here. A PS3 game which even Sony didn't think would do well enough to publish the damn game ended up gaining tons of momentum through word of mouth, which set the stage for From Software to land a hit with a multiplatform Souls series. Look at Nioh, it's done far better than Koei Tecmo had hoped for and now they could go with a sequel on more platforms which I'm sure will do really well too.

Monster Hunter is a tricky one. A PS4 exclusive game wouldn't be the most terrible idea. They do need growth in the western market. Setting the scene with a strong MH5 that appeals to the west could prove to be successful going forward on other platforms.

What's the sauce on the 2.6m? I have it at 2.55m on Media Create by the end of 2015. I'm assuming digital sales are not 50k, so I'm struggling here.

I should have just used ~2.6m since I was referencing the 2015 totals by media create also. Shoud have used the exact number though. Yours is the correct value.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So, if I get this correctly, you're implying that, due to Disgaea 5 results, NIS has already dropped the potential Switch they had in the pipeline for the near future, ignoring the healthy state of the platform as a whole?

Don't you remember? The sales of Disgaea 5 and I Am Setsuna was literally the only relevant metric for Japanese Third Parties at the Switch launch.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I said 3 million and pray tell why we would be getting game sales update for every million sold lol

No:

FF franchise already sold more than 2 million worldwide which is why I ignored it and the 2 million cap is important because regardless of relative success for a franchise of MH sales power it's very important. The fact you can't definitely show me a single Japanese game that has over 2 million world worldwide without already managing to do so in a previous gen says it all.

I should have just used ~2.6m since I was referencing the 2015 totals by media create also. Shoud have used the exact number though. Yours is the correct value.

Ah. So we're talking > 2.55m since that number is sold to consumers not shipped and doesn't include any digital.

Mpl90

Seriously now, if you really want to see a Nintendo platform's launch that was both successful and that had minor third party contribution, see the Wii.

Oregano

I'm just saying NIS clearly isn't as gung-ho on the platform as they were implying if they're now skipping it, even for a game which is a pretty good fit.

NIS ignored the overall of the 3DS.

NIS doesn't exactly make smash hits so you can't exactly get picky.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Sometimes it makes more sense to start with a single platform and then branch out from there if you gained any kind of momentum. I'll use Demon's Souls as an example here. A PS3 game which even Sony didn't think would do well enough to publish the damn game ended up gaining tons of momentum through word of mouth, which set the stage for From Software to land a hit with a multiplatform Souls series. Look at Nioh, it's done far better than Koei Tecmo had hoped for and now they could go with a sequel on more platforms which I'm sure will do really well too.

Monster Hunter is a tricky one. A PS4 exclusive game wouldn't be the most terrible idea. They do need growth in the western market. Setting the scene with a strong MH5 that appeals to the west could prove to be successful going forward on other platforms.

See that makes no sense. 1 it would be a very large contraction in sales for the franchise at an exorbitantly more expensive cost, 2 markets are competitive by the time they get round to expanding that fan base could have it's needs serviced else where (look at the contraction in MH XX fanbases don't just wait around forever for the next entry. They can lose interest and move on. It's very rarely your scenario ends up positively in comparison to if it was multiplatform on the onset which would have actually allowed them to acquire the fanbase then and their rather than hope they'd still be interested in the future,

Oregano

What platform are they meant to expand to from PS4? Just PC?

What's making up the domestic millions they'll lose?

Vena

Oregano, I'd recommend you follow up on anihawks appraisal before making some of these posts. He knows a lot more than you do.

sense

I think it's a reasonable expectation it's near and or long passed that mark. 4G actually charted well in the NPD it launched
I like how you are optimistic about mh4g but on the same token think Bloodborne is front loaded and at a standstill at 2 million before it's expansion.

Kyoufu

See that makes no sense. 1 it would be a very large contraction in sales for the franchise at an exorbitantly more expensive cost, 2 markets are competitive by the time they get round to expanding that fan base could have it's needs serviced else where (look at the contraction in MH XX fanbases don't just wait around forever for the next entry. They can lose interest and move on. It's very rarely your scenario ends up positively in comparison to if it was multiplatform on the onset which would have actually allowed them to acquire the fanbase then and their rather than hope they'd still be interested in the future,

Capcom needs MH to grow in the west and PS4 is the number one platform in the west. This doesn't mean they can't re-use assets or even make a Switch/PC/Xbox port, but either way, an attempt at gaining a strong fan base on PS4 needs to happen.

Oregano

Oregano, I'd recommend you follow up on anihawks appraisal before making some of these posts. He knows a lot more than you do.

All I've seen is that he thinks Disgaea 5 Complete will be relatively more successful in the west.

Capcom needs MH to grow in the west and PS4 is the number one platform in the west. This doesn't mean they can't re-use assets or even make a Switch/PC/Xbox port, but either way, an attempt at gaining a strong fan base on PS4 needs to happen.
Why would it be exclusive to PS4?

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware [3rd month] (28 days) - 230000
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [2nd month] (28 days) - 285000
[PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (4 days) - 11000
[NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (3 days) - 14000

Another MH discussion. The more things change...well they don't change.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I like how you are optimistic about mh4g but on the same token think Bloodborne is front loaded and at a standstill at 2 million before it's expansion.

Optimistic about MH4g? We actually got figures from it and I remember being impressed by them. We also know for fact it sold 1.5 million world wide not including Japan there's no optimism simply figures. Even a generous estimation would but Asia at 500k. Where do you think the rest of the sales came from?

That's literally the least effective way of doing it. Multiplatform by far sell more than exclusives in the west it's not even a competition.

Kyoufu

What platform are they meant to expand to from PS4? Just PC?

What's making up the domestic millions they'll lose?

Switch, PC and Xbox? I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for here. MH5 on PS4 wouldn't mean they can't make a Switch version or another game entirely, like they did with PSP/Wii.

Oregano

Switch, PC and Xbox? I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for here. MH5 on PS4 wouldn't mean they can't make a Switch version or another game entirely, like they did with PSP/Wii.

If they're making a PS4 exclusive those assets won't be usable on Switch.

EDIT:

Of course everyone knows these kinds of strategic decisions are made in the span of 10 days.

People were doubting NIS' commitments months before and it was obvious long before launch Disgaea 5 was going to bomb.

sphinx

the piano man
sorry for the offtopic-ness...but I don't know where to ask...

are we getting official NPD numbers today? I think I read it somwhere.

if so, what time?

People were doubting NIS' commitments months before and it was obvious long before launch Disgaea 5 was going to bomb.

You want a secret? They probably knew it wouldn't do so hot. The purpose of the game was not to set the world on fire.

But OK, go on, you're also becoming a parody of yourself, dude.

Calm Mind

Fallacy.

see SFV.

Toni

If it was sold multiplatform I assure you it would have sold better. It's sales on the steam alone would ensure it since Dark souls is a million seller on steam. Bloodborne is way too similar to Dark souls for the fact it's a new IP would be a substantial hindrance.

Absolutely false.

The way you play both is vastly different.

Not to mention they both posess literally nothing that connects one with the other.

Mpl90

Continuing my post where I mentioned the Wii

Launch Japanese third party sales

Source: MediaCreate Top 500 2006, Top 500 2007

First five weeks {Week 48, 2006 - Week 52, 2006)

Ennichi no Tatsujin - 38,943
Swing Golf Pangya - 35,185
Bleach: Shattered Blade - 31,237
SD Gundam: Scad Hammers - 25,384
Elebits - 23,815
Tamagotchi Party On! - 23,376
Crayon Shin-Chan: Saikyou Kazoku Kasukabe King Wii - 17,426

First year since launch / LTD {Week 1, 2007 - Week 52, 2007}

Ennichi no Tatsujin - 61,184 / 100,127
Elebits - 42,419 / 66,234
Crayon Shin-Chan: Saikyou Kazoku Kasukabe King Wii - 39,003 / 56,429
Swing Golf Pangya - 34,553 / 69,738
Tamagotchi Party On! - 33,714 / 57,090
SD Gundam: Scad Hammers - 22,898 / 48,282
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz - 21,377 / < 38,658
Kororinpa: Marble Mania - 20,356 / < 37,637
Bleach: Shattered Blade - < 19,653 / < 50,890

I didn't say it would be.
If they want to make MH5 more "western" oriented I don't get why they would limit themselves by keeping is PS4 exclusive at first like you keep suggesting. If anything it should beon Xbox One along with PS4 if they want to give it a more western appeal.

Top Bottom