• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBOAT's latest update

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I hope you aren't fans of 1080P on Xbox One.When hardware is released you'll see what I mean about issues. Upclocks too risk everywhere, 2014 was a better idea."

Sounds like there'll be problems a-la Xbox 360 with reliability and it was rushed out to be in 2013 rather than 2014 when planned.

Whoa...

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
#TeamCBOAT

I have always been a believer, and I will listen to when our Lord speaks.

I've given up trying to sway my friends into getting a PS4; all of them are deadset on the Xbone. I honestly just can't justify the purchase of one when a PS4 is $100 cheaper and has many more exclusive games that I want over Xbone.

Hearing this only reaffirms my belief. MS done royally screwed up. The 360 arguably won the last gen console war, and their mistaking delaying for perfection is 'resting on their laurels' is only gonna make them realize they are wearing assless chaps while sitting on top of great-grandpa's handcrafted wooden chair that's rife with splinters and rusty nails.
I am right in the middle of a whole bunch of college friends that took extreme personal offense to the original XB1 policies. I believe the expressions were " Bridges Have Been Burned ". And then the 2-3 Xbox Fanatics were forced to go along. Maybe if you hold your ground, they'll see and join over. That's a hard "if" though. You have to do your own brand of manipulation.
CBOAT doesn't understand that 900p is a design choice.
Hah.
I have nothing constructive to say. But, this made me laugh.

• Development started later (compared to PS4)
  • Reveal event pushed back
  • Driver/OS not up to par
  • THIS looks just like a bunch of HTPC components thrown together
  • Launch list of countries reduced
  • 3rd party title footage severely limited
  • Unclear policies, messaging
It's all starting to add up.
Huh. It was, wasn't it?. That has been reported. I thought that was just classic Microsoft Engineering. Yes. Yes?, That's not just incompetencey? We did make them change a lot. But yes, I hold firm in believing MS should have launched next year. Let's see if goes down in history as a disaster, or an unmitigated disaster. Cause it ain't gonna go well.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If he works at MS I would expect 100% accuracy

I like to think he works in PR. He loves his job, but feels horrible about it at the same time, which prompts him to speak truth to the masses!

I have thousands of theories, each more absurd than the other!

HariKari

So TRUE, also MS is literally sitting in mountains of cash!

Just because the parent company has massive reserves does not mean that the Xbox division can draw on it to spend. Since the Xbox hasn't proven to be a major net revenue generator, they might actually be looking to spend as little as possible. There are investors waiting in the wings that do not care for the Xbox division and want it gone.

Dynze

Banned
Just a question, but has he ever gotten anything wrong? Most of his E3/XBO reveal predictions were spot on IIRC.

Upclocks shouldn't be a risk unless voltage was also raised. The upclocks are not big enough to cause issues related to RROD. RROD were hardware issues. If you try to force extra performance out of a power envelope that cannot support it, you get soft crashed.

Also, a 1080p framebuffer easily fits in 32MB of eSRAM. So unless it is bandwidth starved (which it shouldn't be), I don't see that as an issue either.

The fact that MS has up-clocked AT ALL at this point in the game and been very public about it should be concerning to anyone trying to analyze this with an objective eye. Hardware decisions should have been finalized a year ago, not trying to "bolt shit on" when you're 3 months out from launch.

This could be a colossal disaster in the making.

IN&OUT

Banned
If I'm being honest this just seems like another Cboat statement that qualifies as an obvious one.

We've already heard about BF4 being 720p, and even Killer Instinct is 720p. It's not hard to imagine plenty of other XB1 launch games are gonna be the same.

He is implying that X1 is not capable enough for 1080p games due to Chip design limitations. or that what I get from it.

Nuklear

Banned
So TRUE, also MS is literally sitting in mountains of cash!

The big problem is MS is a gigantic company and the company just moves slow. You see it with their phone OS. They moved so slow to make Win 8 phone that they may never be able to get any sort of critical mass and never be a major player in the market.

This is why a lot of critics want the company to be broken up into smaller pieces so they can move quicker.

Apath

• Development started later (compared to PS4)
  • Reveal event pushed back
  • Driver/OS not up to par
  • THIS looks just like a bunch of HTPC components thrown together
  • Launch list of countries reduced
  • 3rd party title footage severely limited
  • Unclear policies, messaging
It's all starting to add up.
Microsoft's XBOX division has been a complete fucking disaster. How they could fuck something up to a perfectly amazing degree is beyond me.

It's like the movie How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, except it's how to implode your market share ASAP.

mishakoz

Its pretty obvious Microsoft is launching ahead of schedule, which hopefully wont be their downfall. It would be a shame if some of the early games (or hardware) were subject to some unfortunate technical problems.

That Feb. 20 event must have been killer.

ramb0211

Banned
The fact that MS has up-clocked AT ALL at this point in the game and been very public about it should be concerning to anyone trying to analyze this with an objective eye. Hardware decisions should have been finalized a year ago, not trying to "bolt shit on" when you're 3 months out from launch.

This could be a colossal disaster in the making.

Yea, not really. It's pretty standard and I'd be surprised if Sony hasn't done the same thing, but they've been tight-lipped about which specs they put out for some reason.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Just a question, but has he ever gotten anything wrong? Most of his E3/XBO reveal predictions were spot on IIRC.

He had a lot of misses in his last set of posts, though one of the biggest ones was the PS4 launch date and he's never been a Sony insider anyway. The E3 predictions were spot on, though.

It depends how partitioned the employees are.

Internal conversations may not be as comprehensive as you think they might be.

Some of the things CBOAT reports to us are just rumors that came down from the grapevine.

Just because the parent company has massive reserves does not mean that the Xbox division can draw on it to spend. Since the Xbox hasn't proven to be a major net revenue generator, they might actually be looking to spend as little as possible. There are investors waiting in the wings that do not care for the Xbox division and want it gone.

If Xbox One underperforms, that's exactly what you can expect now that Ballmer is on his way out. A quick and short death of the historically unprofitable Xbox sector.

Ballmer's replacement will reorganize the company around profitability, not around sentimentality.

N.Domixis

Banned
Lol, Microsoft could have killed ps4 if they launched last year, they should have too. they had an extra year to make a console. They should be the ones that are ahead.

The way CBOAT sounds at times makes it feel like he's a 3rd-party contractor/agency working with MS.

Those type of people are privy to a ton of confidential stuff, in preparation for future product-specific events/launches/executions, and even if they aren't shown everything, they tend to be friendly enough with the internal teams that the actual MS guys would casually tell the agency people stuff 'off-the-record.'

CoG

If there are reliability problems due to the upclocks, MS should just shoot themselves in the head now.

UNCMark

Banned
MS can go one of two ways. Start eating a lot of cash to fix their own problems or choose the nuclear option and start paying huge wads of cash to make Sony gamers' lives miserable by buying up exclusives etc. My guess is that many of the execs inside the company think the nuclear option will solve the other problems.

nib95

Banned
Translation of his second post.

Cboat Translation App said:
I never mentioned anything about Forza 5 not being 1080p. They should be able to make it.

However, hitting 1080p here is going to be more of an exception and not the rule, throughout this entire next generation. Never mind trying to match eye candy. Thanks to Esram, 720p to 900p will be the norm on the Xbox One.

You watch.

You just watch.

RoKKeR

I've become less and less caught up in CBOAT's posts as we've moved past E3. Everything is out on the table, I'm not going to start panicking my Xbox is going to fail because what, the upclock is too risky?

Brofield

What's their reasoning? Most of my friends were Xbox fans but are switching to PS4...

I still don't know, they haven't been very clear. Mostly Titanfall, but I can get that on 360. They're still hyped on Ryse, and I don't know why a QTE fest would excite anyone, but whatever. I feel that they just haven't heard enough of what's been going on behind the scenes (not GAFfers), or what they have heard isn't enough to sway them otherwise.

Only game I would personally look forward to is Sunset Overdrive, so if Xbone manages to haul ass and turn themselves around like PS3 did (and actually not be the butt of 180 jokes), I could probably be tricked into picking one up real late end-game.

He had a lot of misses in his last set of posts, though one of the biggest ones was the PS4 launch date and he's never been a Sony insider anyway. The E3 predictions were spot on, though.

yeah, basically ignore Cboat's Sony posts and pay attention to the Microsoft ones

Nuklear

Banned
If Xbox One underperforms, that's exactly what you can expect now that Ballmer is on his way out. A quick and short death of the historically unprofitable Xbox sector.

Ballmer's replacement will reorganize the company around profitability, not around sentimentality.

I believe if the Xbox One underperforms and fails to get #1 in the market this will be the last Xbox. I could be totally wrong though.

Cboat has been wrong before. He didn't get the PS4 release date correct, iirc.

Piggus

Sounds like Nintendo fanatics and their idiotic "graphics don't matter/HD games aren't needed!" schtick during the Wii era. And of course they are now eating up those tasty Nintendo HD games and boasting about upscaled 720p games and whatnot.

Exactly.

They were not "spot on." PoP didn't happen. The MS moneyhats to not show PS4 versions of things have not been verified.

Please don't spread disinformation via poor wording.

I understand the "So real it's real" ad, but what does this even mean?

No Idea. Quite unreal that they actually used the slogan in an ad.

Unless it means MS invented time travel, sent XB1 to the future, beta-tested it in the future, and then sent it back to the present

B.O.O.M

I think DA BOAT is trying to say that they should have launched in 2014 instead. Don't think he is trying to hint that they were going to launch next year at the beginning and changed plans

Either way.. TEAMCBOAT all the way,

The XB1 feels just rushed... Who knows maybe after this new gen is over MS might admit to it releasing at an earlier date then what they truly attended

On Friday, November 15, 2013 by 8:00pm I'll be able to play a game on a next gen console in 1080p. According to CBOAT, I'm not sure when that will happen, if ever, for Xbone only owners, and that is one messed up thought. In all honesty, it's hard to believe.

Apath

MS can go one of two ways. Start eating a lot of cash to fix their own problems or choose the nuclear option and start paying huge wads of cash to make Sony gamers' lives miserable by buying up exclusives etc. My guess is that many of the execs inside the company think the nuclear option will solve the other problems.
They can start by firing the people responsible for the DRM, Kinect requirement, the console being under powered, $500 price tag, a controller that is allegedly worse than the 360's, a reveal that focuses on media rather than games, etc..

Should also get rid of anyone who thought it was a good idea to stop investing in big exclusives outside of Halo, Gears, Forza, and Fable while they're at it.

Card Boy

Banned
Keep on ratting out the company that writes your paycheck. Good work

1126.gif

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I've become less and less caught up in CBOAT's posts as we've moved past E3. Everything is out on the table, I'm not going to start panicking my Xbox is going to fail because what, the upclock is too risky?

Yeah I don't buy the up-clocks being an issue since they aren't huge up-clocks that should require a voltage increase. The box seems to have room for tons of airflow as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom