• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBOAT's latest update

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the CBOAT doubters only have to look at his E3 thread.

He called World of Tanks, Dead Rising 3, Mirror's Edge (though it didn't show up till EA conference), and I assume he mistook halo 5 for prince of persia.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=62291087

dead rising 3 and world of tanks were already known through leaks before cboat or e3.

December 2012

ource indicates that Dead Rising 3 will feature a new hero: Rick, an orphan -- presumably that matters for some reason -- and auto mechanic.
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...nts-to-california-setting-auto-mechanic-hero/

I think DA BOAT is trying to say that they should have launched in 2014 instead. Don't think he is trying to hint that they were going to launch next year at the beginning and changed plans

Either way.. TEAMCBOAT all the way,

I think they didn't want to give Sony too much space and head start.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Sorta becoming hard not to believe XBO was intended for a 2014 release as this stuff piles on. But, man, it still seems so wild that MS would think they could have waited that long in the first place. 9 years! NINE!

He had a lot of misses in his last set of posts, though one of the biggest ones was the PS4 launch date and he's never been a Sony insider anyway. The E3 predictions were spot on, though.

His bigger misses has been on the policy-related stuff, which we'll never know what the true story is due to all the 180s.

He's still pretty good though, the major ones from his last few sets still came true.

- launch countries reduced from 21 to 13 ( he didn't reveal this, but he put his shoe down on it.)
- launch will be later than PS4 launch.

The rest are mostly 'further-in-the-future' claims and stuff. :/

StoopKid

Keep on ratting out the company that writes your paycheck. Good work

salt_0310.jpg

Gonff

Banned
The way CBOAT sounds at times makes it feel like he's a 3rd-party contractor/agency working with MS.

Those type of people are privy to a ton of confidential stuff, in preparation for future product-specific events/launches/executions, and even if they aren't shown everything, they tend to be friendly enough with the internal teams that the actual MS guys would casually tell the agency people stuff 'off-the-record.'

I've been in similar positions and told straight lies.

I've learned quick in my career that the internal rumor-mill is almost always the most ridiculous and the farthest from the truth.

jwk94

So if xbox One has problems doing 1080p, is that something that can be fixed with a hardware revision down the line?

Wizman23

Banned
On Friday, November 15, 2013 by 8:00pm I'll be able to play a game on a next gen console in 1080p. According to CBOAT, I'm not sure when that will happen, if ever, for Xbone only owners, and that is one messed up thought. In all honesty, it's hard to believe.

it will happen 7 days later with Forza 5. Sorry to crush your console war dreams

HariKari

Keep on ratting out the company that writes your paycheck. Good work

Are we pretending that multinationals have any sort of loyalty towards their employees? Because they don't, so more power to CBOAT.

I've learned quick in my career that the internal rumor-mill is almost always the most ridiculous and the farthest from the truth.

Microsoft has probably fed selective lies and tidbits to certain groups in an effort to smoke CBOAT out. He is smart enough to only report what isn't compartmentalized.

His bigger misses has been on the policy-related stuff, which we'll never know what the true story is due to all the 180s.

He's still pretty good though, the major ones from his last few sets still came true.

- launch countries reduced from 21 to 13 ( he didn't reveal this, but he put his shoe down on it.)
- launch will be later than PS4 launch.

The rest are mostly 'further-in-the-future' claims and stuff. :/
He also said PS4 was launching in October..

It depends how partitioned the employees are.

Internal conversations may not be as comprehensive as you think they might be.

Some of the things CBOAT reports to us are just rumors that came down from the grapevine.

If Xbox One underperforms, that's exactly what you can expect now that Ballmer is on his way out. A quick and short death of the historically unprofitable Xbox sector.

Ballmer's replacement will reorganize the company around profitability, not around sentimentality.

I think all those Achievement addicts will have a breakdown

netBuff

Yea, not really. It's pretty standard and I'd be surprised if Sony hasn't done the same thing, but they've been tight-lipped about which specs they put out for some reason.

Sony put out the exact TFLOPS ratings for the PS4, so, no - they haven't been tight-lipped and certainly haven't seen it necessary to upclock their significantly more powerful machine this late in the game.

nib95

Banned
Yeah I don't buy the up-clocks being an issue since they aren't huge up-clocks that should require a voltage increase. The box seems to have room for tons of airflow as well.

I don't think the yields were ever heat related. Something to do with the Esram wafer efficiency from what I can remember. But no one really knows for sure.

He also said PS4 was launching in October..

Not that surprising a Microsoft employee was misinformed about a PS4 insider titbit.

I really really want to be a fly in the wall into the whole Xbox One process. It's like they fumbled everything. Did they think Sony would just stumble out of the gate again? Horrible PR. Unable to get their message across without being complete asses. Who knows what's going through their minds anymore.

It seems pretty evident at this stage that MS hugely underestimated Sony at nearly every turn.

gaming_noob

What a disaster of epic proportion. Now they're going to have to write more blank checks to get exclusive games just to get people to notice this console. MS is not too smart with their money.

Doodis

Sigh...it's so difficult right now to be an Xbox fan. Really, I'm more of a Halo fan than anything. But as stalwart as I have been up until this point, I'm really thinking of at least canceling my pre-order and waiting things out for a bit to see how things shake out. I kind of don't have the money for it anyway.

Sad panda. :(

Kuro

Upclocks shouldn't be a risk unless voltage was also raised. The upclocks are not big enough to cause issues related to RROD. RROD were hardware issues. If you try to force extra performance out of a power envelope that cannot support it, you get soft crashes.

Also, a 1080p framebuffer easily fits in 32MB of eSRAM. So unless it is bandwidth starved (which it shouldn't be), I don't see that as an issue either.

Not at 60fps and that's also only for games built for current gen. You don't know what framebuffers will evolve into for next gen. Killzone Shadofall's tech slides from months ago showed a framebuffer of 40mb+. It may even be larger now.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
They were not "spot on." PoP didn't happen. The MS moneyhats to not show PS4 versions of things have not been verified.

Please don't spread disinformation via poor wording.

The PoP thing was a probably a Halo mistake, but yeah, who knows about the PS4 thing. I should have written "pretty much spot on." I'm a cboat skeptic myself, so it's not like I'm intentionally trying to spread misinformation. IMO, his credibility has slipped since E3, and the nature of his posts makes him seem a bit like a playground bully, so I doubt I'll ever be a cboat follower like some here. The posts are fun to follow, though.

hawk2025

They were not "spot on." PoP didn't happen. The MS moneyhats to not show PS4 versions of things have not been verified.

Please don't spread disinformation via poor wording.

Now we know that at least dedicated servers for Call of Duty is something that Mark Rubin literally cannot mention directly.

cchum

• Development started later (compared to PS4)
  • Reveal event pushed back
  • Driver/OS not up to par
  • THIS looks just like a bunch of HTPC components thrown together
  • Launch list of countries reduced
  • 3rd party title footage severely limited
  • Unclear policies, messaging
It's all starting to add up.

Yeah, the ps3 launch was just like this. Agent Phil knows how to launch consoles I guess.

I believe if the Xbox One underperforms and fails to get #1 in the market this will be the last Xbox. I could be totally wrong though.

Cboat has been wrong before. He didn't get the PS4 release date correct, iirc.

It's just not going to be the last Xbox...I'm willing to go even farther.

If Xbox One doesn't perform very successfully the market, I expect Microsoft to just shut it down prematurely and get out of the console gaming market in one fell swoop.

When you look at the financials, Microsoft just hasn't been able to accomplish much with Xbox. Ballmer could write some of the frustration off to "growing the brand" and "expanding Microsoft's presence to the living room," but with investors focused on smartphones / tablets as the future, the Xbox One has to prove that it has built sufficient brand loyalty to actually be worthwhile for the company to keep around.

Lots of people work at IEB...lots of people that Microsoft could use in other, more profitable divisions.

Being underpowered is not particularly newsworthy -- however, if there are reliability issues, that's a colossal fuck up, especially after what they allegedly learned from the current generation.

However, I'm a little surprised that they would do these upclocks unless they were absolutely certain it wouldn't lead to problems. And I doubt we could be looking at over-heating issues -- the One is the size of a trailer home and the components are weaksauce. It has to be something else.

But the Powerpoint slides that MS shares with them wouldn't be. :)

And you're right on the 'off-the-record' stuff, there's always the possibility that you tell your 3rd-party people lies or half-truths.

But being in a similar position myself, I gravitate more towards truth than lies, because when we're in a 'deep shit' situation, we want the 3rd-parties to be even more aware, responsive and agile in responding to potentially bad situations that will arise from the internal team fucking up.

todd360

On Friday, November 15, 2013 by 8:00pm I'll be able to play a game on a next gen console in 1080p. According to CBOAT, I'm not sure when that will happen, if ever, for Xbone only owners, and that is one messed up thought. In all honesty, it's hard to believe.

They will be able to play some Xbox one arcade games in 1080p I imagine.

Apath

What a disaster of epic proportion. Now they're going to have to write more blank checks to get exclusive games just to get people to notice this console. MS is not too smart with their money.
If the current generation is anything to go by, they will all be timed exclusives with the sequels being multi-plat from the get go.

HORRORSHØW

Sigh...it's so difficult right now to be an Xbox fan. Really, I'm more of a Halo fan than anything. But as stalwart as I have been up until this point, I'm really thinking of at least canceling my pre-order and waiting things out for a bit to see how things shake out. I kind of don't have the money for it anyway.

Sad panda. :(
If you're a fan, and there're games that you'd like to play, I'd say keep your preorder, finances permitting.

What a disaster of epic proportion. Now they're going to have to write more blank checks to get exclusive games just to get people to notice this console. MS is not too amart with their money.
If they end up doing more of this and their sales go well. I'm worried that devs will just focus on the lowest common denominator and not push (stress) the better hardware at all :(

Basically you choose either 60 fps or 1080p for the Xbone in my opinion. Can't have both (except for Forza)

The big test will be what resolution Halo 5 and Titanfall are.

reKon

Banned
Being that underpowered is pretty disappointing, but as long the Xbone doesn't breakdown, it isn't a complete disaster for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom