• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was ready to strangle Iwata through my screen for explaining how Miiverse works to Wii U owners watching the stream.

Then The Wonderful 101 was given a new trailer and I was like "yay I got what I wanted".

Then a Bayonetta 2 dev diary which was a welcome cherry on top.

Then a whole bunch of shit happened that I don't remember but I sure am sticky.

I was staring at the time on my phone around the 2:24pm point, getting annoyed with Iwata wasting my time, and then HOLY SHIT

-"Xenoblade 2"
-Yoshi's Land
-Wii U Party
-Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
-Wind Waker HD
-New TW101 Trailer, new Pikmin screens
-Virtual Console (with discounts)
-Bayonetta stuff
-3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash 4 news @ E3
-Aonuma talking about the Next Console Zelda
-Promise of 3DS/3rd party Nintendo Directs in the future
-Patch talk
-Improving Miiverse

My body was not ready. I underestimated the awesome.

My body was ready for more Wii U frustration, then Iwata grabbed me and brought me to beautiful places I could have never imagined.
Definitely less interested in Nextbox/PS4 now, especially the former whose predecessor has an exclusive library less impressive than the list above after 7 years. Probably gonna get a PS4 for 3rd parties though... or a PC.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So I missed the whole thing for a work meeting and just caught up.

I told you so :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wonderful 101 , zelda wind waker remake, wiiu party for the newly announced games

Not sure if i miss any thing.

I thought Wind Waker was fall?

I wonder if the Wii U Virtual Console titles will transfer over from 3DS/Wii.

edit: nevermind, just saw the "Special Discounts" feature. Huh.

guit3457

If the show the new Mario 3D and the new Mario Kart U in the E3 at least one of them will be released Q4 2013. No doubt about it....

I would say Mario Kart U in November 2013.

Nintendo Direct happens on a regular basis.

I predict the sun will rise in the East tomorrow morning!

This one was clearly in reaction to poor sales, they almost never use it to show games that are over six months off. There was plenty of "We know you want an announcement, so we'll tell you we're working on this, just wait for E3 and buy the system now, okay?" in there.

This was a panicky Nintendo Direct and that's pretty great.

If Nintendo keeps this up, it might convince me to get a Wii U down the road. Now that I primarily game on my PC, any console I get will be down to exclusives and exclusives alone. Off-screen play sounds nice, too.

-"Xenoblade 2"
-Yoshi's Land
-Wii U Party
-Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
-Wind Waker HD
-New TW101 Trailer, new Pikmin screens
-Virtual Console (with discounts)
-Bayonetta stuff
-3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash 4 news @ E3
-Aonuma talking about the Next Console Zelda
-Promise of 3DS/3rd party Nintendo Directs in the future
-Patch talk
-Improving Miiverse

My body was not ready. I underestimated the awesome.
Somebody would laugh at you if you made this prediction beforehand and said your expectations are unrealistic lol

DaBoss

This one was clearly in reaction to poor sales, they almost never use it to show games that are over six months off. There was plenty of "We know you want an announcement, so we'll tell you we're working on this, just wait for E3 and buy the system now, okay?" in there.

Yup, you got it right.

Somebody would laugh at you if you made this prediction beforehand and said your expectations are unrealistic lol

But the crazy thing is some people speculated about lots of those things listed, and speculated about Mother 2.

Though there is one thing that needs to be looked at now:
ibwrOOFJAo8xCw.jpg

I still suspect Majora's is getting the 3DS treatment, makes me wonder if we'll get a unique Zelda game on 3DS now that it sounds like they're focused on the Wii U ones. I just assumed 3DS one would be next on the list.

Possibly a partnership? Someone else doing it? The guys that did OoT 3D given the freedom to make their own one?

Mojojo

After this Nintendo Direct, I am assured their E3 will be stunning. More on those games, Mario Franchises galore, SSB4, probably the new Retro game *drools*, maybe next Zelda.. aww god.

Unless Nintendo enters crazy mode again, and demo for 2 hours Wii Fit U and Wii Music U with Miyamoto conducting a fake orchestra.

SS4Rob

Wow. I wasn't ready for any of that jelly. I've been refreshing the eShop to start my 30 cent VC downloads, nothing yet, argh. Been looking for the US equivalent of this page too:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/famicom30th/index.html
Bring it!

Edit: Instead of looking for a non-existant promo banner, I typed "Balloon" into the search box and purchased from there - my first GamePad VC game, w00t! #partoftheproblem

Gambit

Agreed. He clearly changed the original stratetgy. This was especially evident with the slide shows.

In any case, I couldn't be happier.

As expected this was an awesome ride. ND threads always deliver but this was just... Oh my god. I am glad I took a ride in the hype train. It was worth it!

Best thread in a while, since the hacked Miiverse thread! Which I guess the Yoshi game can now be confirmed a real leak from back then!

GimMick

Finally caught with the Direct after the stream crapped on me midway through.
Holy shit, expectations shattered. The second half was incredible, seemed like one of those crazy fanboy lists.

THAT YOSHI GAME IS REAL DAMNIT !!! :D

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You know, for all that Nintendo gets shit for never talking about their plans, the flipside is that they can generate ridiculous amounts of hype with stunts like this.

It may be why they continue to operate this way. In spite of our best efforts to deny it and insist everything would be better if they adopted a totally different tactic, they retain the ability to turn everyone's head in unison. And make those heads, in general, explode.

DJ88

Just finished watching. My faith in Wii U has just been reassured many times over. Can not wait for these games to start coming out! And the Monolith bomb at the end was E3 Megaton levels of power. Iwata pulled a "one more thing" out of Jobs' book. Such an awesome way to close out the direct!

Mael

Not too thrilled about Yoshi being more Yoshi's Story than Yoshi's Island and it being another outsourced affair....
So...
we got our Resident Evils, Yoshi's Land and Super Mario WiiU.... What is missing from that Master of Miiverse list?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
You know, for all that Nintendo gets shit for never talking about their plans, the flipside is that they can generate ridiculous amounts of hype with stunts like this.

It may be why they continue to operate this way. In spite of our best efforts to deny it and insist everything would be better if they adopted a totally different tactic, they retain the ability to turn everyone's head in unison. And make those heads, in general, explode.

as usual, great post ther and completely true

watching the Direct now. Those Pikmin 3 details are gorgeous

Kyon

Banned

While I'm SCREAMING and CRYING. The fact that most all these games will come out in like 3 years is a mess.

BowieZ

Banned
I am wondering whether Retro's second team is working on New Legend of Zelda.

And their strained resources between TWO games explains their delays.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Iwata really trolled us.

"Let's talk about Miiverse and system updates. Now, slowly rereleasing Virtual Console titles. Now, games you already know about. Hmm, but what if I said Mario and Mario Kart at E3? Oh? You already expected those? Well then... YoshiSMTxFEWindWakerHDZeldaWiiUdetailsXenobladesequel, alright."

"How was it?"

Portugeezer

While I'm SCREAMING and CRYING. The fact that most all these games will come out in like 3 years is a mess.

3 years? I don't know what you guys are smoking. Most of these will come out 2013/2014, the only questionable one is Super Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom