• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump pitched Republican leaders on a solar-paneled border wall

Kurdel

Banned
Sounds exactly how a 70 year old businessman sees compromise.

"How can I, smartest guy on earth, trick liberals into liking the wall?"

Before entering the thread I honestly thought I was about to read a pitch for solar panels to power the wall.

Me too. I was thinking, "What does a wall need power for?" Next thought was, "Does he want the wall to be electric in order to shock Mexicans who touch it?"

I can't even imagine what the cost would be of a 40' to 50' wall going somewhere between, I don't know, 750 miles to almost 2,000 miles, covered in solar panels would cost.

theaface

Literally a comic book villain

Or a Simpsons one. Time to embrace your new sun, America!

article-1300967207614-0b51086100000578-330784_636x336.jpg

FStubbs

I heard people mention that as a joke, like "LOL I'll support solar panels".

The solar panel part will make the GOP reject it. They like the racist part.

I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow he wanted to have a pyramid built in his honor. That mentally challenged mf'er...
And it'll be covered in solar panels. Most pyramids you hear about are engineered so that one or two sides are exposed to the sun, but this one will have all sides in the sun at all times. It'll be like no other pyramid you've ever seen.

mike6467

Me too. I was thinking, "What does a wall need power for?" Next thought was, "Does he want the wall to be electric in order to shock Mexicans who touch it?"

I can't even imagine what the cost would be of a 40' to 50' wall going somewhere between, I don't know, 750 miles to almost 2,000 miles, covered in solar panels would cost.

The O&M would be completely and utterly insane. I can't even imagine.

Guevara

Oh I see how it is: yesterday you liberals LOVED green energy but now that it's the president's idea everyone is suspiciously quiet.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Trump told the lawmakers they could talk about the solar-paneled wall as long as they said it was his idea

I like how egotistical this is. Trump obviously thinks his idea is so brilliant that he wants to make sure he gets credit for it.

darscot

I think this is a great idea, might as well make the wall super expensive, that way when people smash it they can really do some damage.

Most of the wall runs fairly east to west with varying amount of SW / NE as well. It will be the last efficient solar array possible. Unless he sticks them all at the top where he can direct the panel more efficiently. It would also balloon the cost of this thing. Electricians make more than concrete guys. They would also have to tie into the local municipalities power system and that would cost a ton too. Copper isn't cheap

Ithil

His idea for getting the wall that is too expensive for congress to pay for built, is to propose an idea that will double the cost of it.

Meier

This man is outrageously stupid. As if the wall isn't expensive enough as just a wall.

I work in PV research so yes, I'd love it if we covered more things with PVs, but it's not as if they're free the purchase or operate. From a practical point of view, who would replace the damaged panels if they were on the Mexican side of the wall as well? Who would cover the operational costs from the theoretical Mexican side or get the potential revenue from the Mexican side? Would we sell that energy to Mexico? That doesn't even take into account the directional aspect of solar panels and the difficulty in mounting them on a flat vertical face like that.

btags

If the panels are on the south side, like someone suggested they should be, maybe they can use them to redirect sunlight on those pesky mexicans that attempt to cross the border. You know, like a modern Lighthouse of Alexandria.

SigSig

He's, like, a toddler, right? A small child. In another universe he's writing his own Axecop-esque webcomic.

Top Bottom