• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"This Is What Superheroes Would Look Like With Realistic Bodies"

Are they role models? Or meant to match the body of the average viewer?

Because those aren't the same thing.

I'll keep my "maximum human potential" and beyond superheros, thanks.

adj_noun

7HosA6q.jpg

Earth X beat 'em to that one.

ISOM

I find this change to realistic bodies unrealistic. How are superheroes any different than athletes? They need to be in shape to do their job right? So why would they be out of shape fighting bad guys everyday?

And that Black Panther one is extra terrible.

kswiston

Because beyond peak human condition like Black Panther = 6'0", 260 lbs.

They have a point that a lot of supporting characters who are supposed to be powerless, regular people tend to look like supermodels in comics, but most of these are like suggesting that soccer players don't have realistic bodies.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
"Realistic" Batman would just be a fat rich dude with dead parents. The villains would all just run away and he wouldn't have the stamina to catch anyone.

Like, I get the idea, but there's no reason that Gamora would look like that.

For that matter, neither should Carol Danvers. Both of these women are strong, fierce fighters, and considering both of their professions(Galactic Assassin and former US Pilot) they realistically can't be fat.

Forearms

This is ridiculous, even if it is well intentioned. Comic book characters aren't real people and are capable of feats "normal" people wouldn't be, so making them look fat is stupid. Their time would be better spent showing the before and after pictures from magazines that contain shopped photos of real people.

Bladenic

Oh Christ I thought this fucking bullshit of realistic = fat had stopped. Even if that is the goddamn reality of America, it shouldn't be encouraged.

And it's moronic that they always use superheroes as the scapegoats for this stupid ass shit when I would expect a real life superhero to be buff af too.

meow

I can't wait for people to start advocating for others to start wearing fat suits so that their bodies are more "realistic" and "relatable"! yay progress

Black Panther looks like he's been eating out at an "all you can eat African restaurant" for the past two weeks.

Also realistic though, I guess everyone is meant to be fat then.

So by "realistic" you mean "fat"? Sure the average person doesn't like Superman but the average person isn't obese either. Not only that but there are people who are fit, it's not that crazy.

Besides, they're superheroes, they're designed to do physical feats that are impossible for the average person. They're called superheroes for a reason.

L Thammy

I never understood why realistic meant fat. Like are you calling people who are in shape unrealistic? That just seems like faulty logic.

It's also weird if you're the type who doesn't gain weight easily. I'm not sure I'd look like any of these superheroes if I ate a McGrittle every day.

I laughed at those cheeks on Black Panther.

These types of articles have popped up before and I'm interested in applying realistic proportions of an athletic or in-shape human body to comic book characters, but then it's always this.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
may as well call them normal heroes, there's nothing super about those characters they transformed into.

My body is realistic and looks fitter than all of these. Realistic does not equal obese.

Edited after reviewing the evidence, and yeah I look fitter than all those guys.

Superman and BP both actually look closer to what an actual Strongman would look like.

Functional muscle and Model Muscle are quite different.

I find it kind of odd that everyone is looking at those images and saying they're unfit.

Example:

2017 World's Strongest Man Eddie Hall
eddiehall60uwt.png

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
It's also weird if you're the type who doesn't gain weight easily. I'm not sure I'd look like any of these superheroes if I ate a McGrittle every day.

why are you eating a mcgriddle every day?

"people who don't give a shit about their health except for new years resolutions" doesn't equate to "realistic bodies"

Superman and BP both actually look closer to what an actual Strongman would look like.

Functional muscle and Model Muscle are quite different.

I find it kind of odd that everyone is looking at those images and saying they're unfit.

Example:

2017 World's Strongest Man Eddie Hall
eddiehall60uwt.png

functional muscle? You mean like rich froning?

or chris spealler

or camille leblanc-bazinet

Top Bottom