• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filming begins on Godzilla 2, synopsis and cast revealed

Damn, what a cast.
And I can't wait to see what Mothra and Ghidorah will look like. I just need some Pacific Rim robots in the third one and this might end up being my favorite cinematic universe, as much as I hate myself for saying that, lol.

Some of you seem to think the monsters won't get adequate character development. That makes me giggle.

lol, I want my Mothra backstory, goddamnit! I want to see him growing up on the farm and then flash forward to just after Daddy dies and he has to step up to be the man of the house and eventually prove himself against Godzilla. I mean what does it all really matter if we don't know his motivation? :)

I must know the origin story and psychological motivations of these monsters. In particular, I want to see every stage of of the metamorphosis of a giant silk worm sack of shit into the majestic beauty that is Mothra.

The reason Kong was so good was that they didn't explain shit about the island. Just giant monsters fucking shit up, go!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Please don't ruin Millie Bobby Brown's career. Just don't.

Sean C

Somebody in the casting department for this universe clearly likes Straight Outta Compton, as O'Shea Jackson Jr. is the third of the main castmembers to appear in one of the monster films (Corey Hawkins and Jason Mitchell were both in Skull Island).

Tansut

As a massive Godzilla fan I'm finding it hilarious that some of y'all think any of these monsters have some lengthy, deep lore that takes anything more than like 20 minutes total to set up.

Kusagari

As a massive Godzilla fan I'm finding it hilarious that some of y'all think any of these monsters have some lengthy, deep lore that takes anything more than like 20 minutes total to set up.

Ghidorah and Rodan don't need shit. Mothra does depending on how they handle her.

Pretty much the concept is nothing new.

p32536_p_v8_ab.jpg
GMK is one of the more recent films that didn't suck and did just that.

Ridley327

Shit, the movie that people are hoping this would be, Destroy All Monsters, has one of the thinnest setups for why all of those monsters were present, considering that a good chunk of them have never been in a Godzilla film before. King Ghidorah's role in that film is a total ass-pull, too!

And it didn't matter at all, because Shit. Got. Wrecked. in a glorious way.

Not in the second film though. They need to establish the franchise a little more first. Then do a big multi-monster battle.
Establish what?

There are giant monsters. Godzilla fights/kills them. Human are fucked when they're caught in the middle

That's all you need to know

Damn, what a cast.
And I can't wait to see what Mothra and Ghidorah will look like. I just need some Pacific Rim robots in the third one and this might end up being my favorite cinematic universe, as much as I hate myself for saying that, lol.

Godzilla 2014 is the GOAT Godzilla design by far, so I'm pretty excited to see the designs for the new monsters.

Odoul

The sequel should have been Anguirus + Rodan

Building to the third with Kong and Ghidorah. Call it Three Kings.

Sounds good. Had two monsters+Godzilla in the first one so making it 3+Godzilla should work since one of them will probably not be in the movie much.

With all due respect to fans of Rodan and Mothra, they're not exactly ripped from the pages of a Tolstoy novel. One's a giant pteradactyl and the other is a giant moth.
Nothing in these movies is from a Tolstoy novel. One of the main reasons people like Godzilla movies is because of the outrageous, dumb backstory for each of the monsters.

Tizoc

Don't see the issue with having 3 monsters. It's not like they need character development and shit.

What i found odd about it is that godzilla is going against 3 monsters that can fly. If theyd replace at least rodan with a different ground based kaiju itd be more balanced

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Rodan and Mothra's standalone intro movies are two of the weakest Heisei era kaiju films, so I have no idea why anyone is asking for that. What do you need to know about either of them, especially Rodan? The two rodans are barely a presence in the original movie. Skipping to the big battle royale with Ghidorah before the Kong crossover kills the franchise is the correct move.

What i found odd about it is that godzilla is going against 3 monsters that can fly. If theyd replace at least rodan with a different ground based kaiju itd be more balanced

It will almost certainly be the three of them against Ghidorah.

Nothing in these movies is from a Tolstoy novel. One of the main reasons people like Godzilla movies is because of the outrageous, dumb backstory for each of the monsters.

I kind of get that for Mothra (even though her backstory takes two minutes and should never be a full movie), but Rodan? Rodan is a giant prehistoric flying monster. End of story. There's no crazy backstory for him, he's just Godzilla with wings and a tiny lifebar.

I imagine the average person going to see this just wants to see monsters fighting, humans caught in the middle, and destruction, and couldn't care less about the backstories for monsters. They matter as much as the backstories of the monsters in Pacific Rim.

I imagine the average person going to see this just wants to see monsters fighting, humans caught in the middle, and destruction, and couldn't care less about the backstories for monsters. They matter as much as the backstories of the monsters in Pacific Rim.
But the backstory of the monsters in Pacific Rim is really cool, and it plays a part in the story of Pacific Rim and explains who the Kaiju are and why they're there.

Lucumo

Godzilla 2014 is the GOAT Godzilla design by far, so I'm pretty excited to see the designs for the new monsters.

That abomination? Not at all. I would love for American companies to stop messing with the franchise but I guess as long as Toho gets enough money, it's fine.

I could see Mothra or Rodan (probably Rodan) getting taken out early by King Ghidorah to show how much of a threat he is. Probably going to be a Mothra + Godzilla vs King Ghidorah showdown.

Top Bottom