• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: The Last Knight |SPOILER THREAD| The worst movie about cars this year

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
How many cameos from current Chinese stars was there?

I just got around to watching Independence Day: Resurgence last night and the China pandering was shameful. Not as bad as Age of Extinction but pretty bad.

Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.

Guess he doesn't consider a lot of beings sentient.

He frees faces from heads. It doesn't get freer than that.

So ehm, I had made a 'could be' plot synopsis from the trailers in the Boxoffice threads, how close was I?
I want to say I was pretty close, but I forgot about 'it's true, all of it' as a suggestion.

challenge accepted!

From the trailers or whatever. Also some names from the community thread, so if you give a shit about these movies (WHY?): ACTUAL POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD (Or at least some characters. Just so nobody will bitch about it )
- Optimus in space: gets blown the fuck up and has to make a deal with quintessons in the form of one -oh goody, another Lilith archetype- Quintessa, getting turned into not-Galvatron in the process.
- artifact can bring back life to Cybertron, so that's basically Unicron (I think they showed a horn in one of the trailers), and you know, planet showing up in the world's worst flat shot 'oh yeah we have this in the movie' ever to attack Earth. So yeah, that's Unicron in Bay-vision. Wanna bet?
- artifact is held by humans (epic backstory, bro! Also featuring British Person as Immortal Merlin, presumably by the power of said artifact ), waste an hour trying to 'resolve' how not-Galvy Optimus gets artifact.
- turns Cybertron into shitty grassmold (ooh, Beast Machines, that show nobody watched but me- oh), grassy-not-unicron goes ID4-2 copy-paste on Earth
- waste another fucking hour on fights that happen in this context, featuring everyone's favorite shitty character: Wheely! (fuck that guy! Me Grimlock smash shitty character! I wish that would happen) But this time as a retarded old-timer bike, because you know, Bay.
- finale of half an hour where Hot rod and Rodimus somehow get involved into the plot (apparently they're in it), blowing mossplanet the fuck up while saving Earth again with no consequences at all. "what about half the planet being sucked dry" NO CONSEQUENCES AT ALL.
- actual plot progression of ten minutes (like every single other Bay movie): Not-Galvy breaks free of control, violently murders Megatron again because why not, goes off to fuck off into space again. Who kills Quintessa? A HUMAN! What a twist!
- oh, and I think that picture with like three dragon heads is literally what Bay would think of when hearing the name Trypticon, but that image is surprisingly absent from the trailers, so they probably ditched it because too expensive. Because then they would need Metroplex too ( G1 rule: one guy shows up, the other guy shows up too. No exceptions) , which would lead to Bay going 'but hooooow', so that's not happening.
oh right, and depending on human "character" filler this stretches the actual plot from roughly 60 minutes tops to three fucking hours. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will get a sink in the face while yelling 'Martha!' but that's not gonna happen.

Also, watch the movie be a lot dumber than the somewhat (okay barely) sensible plot events I described.

Also, I'm fairly sure I mentioned
Unicron
was in this one based on the first poster. Have to search for it a bit. Edit: nope, I did not. Only chatter about other shows in the franchise.
Kind of sad they went the small route, but it's expected given Bay always goes small. Not sure why he does the geography boogaloo though.

Oh, and speaking of which, how DOES the movie explain Beast Machined Cybertron (as seen as the least glorious flat shot ever in the trailers) exactly?

Edit: THE transformers wiki page to read is the one on scale. Seriously, reeeeaaaad iiiit. That's a joke someone should have put in one of the live-action movies ages ago.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
It sounds really bad.

Dude

I've worked on a lot of objectively "bad" movies (last transformers to pan to kong)

This one is the first time that even in the raw dailies I knew it was just a different kind of awful hence why I'm telling people to not watch it

I'm sure a studio could make a GREAT Transformers movie that delivers on action, interesting, well paced story, great characters and a memorable experience WHILE appealing to an audience that just wants to be entertained. I don't think that will happen under Bay, nor if he producers future installments. Fuck me for sounding old, I wouldn't mind a cool, fun Transformers movie with heart.

Cuburt

KuCWflX.gif

So robots have blood coming out of their head now when they get their brains blown out?

aznpxdd

Thread is hilarious, like clockwork GAFfers are freaking out and over exaggerating everything. I mean come on, its the fuckin' 5th Bayformer movie, what are you guys honestly expecting by now. Smoke some weed, turn your brain off, and enjoy the dumb pretty movie.

I'm actively watching this movie in theaters rn (I'm in the back row and the theater is almost empty so in not bothering anyone).like I saw pirates a few days ago and it was fucking awful but this movie is probably the most points thing I've ever seen. It started at 10:30 eat and it's 12:00 am and I couldn't tell you what the plot is of this movie

Timu

Thread is hilarious, like clockwork GAFfers are freaking out and over exaggerating everything. I mean come on, its the fuckin' 5th Bayformer movie, what are you guys honestly expecting by now. Smoke some weed, turn your brain off, and enjoy the dumb pretty movie.
I guess we expected Micheal Bay to put out a good movie for once, in which he hasn't done that in years.

This is honestly one of my favorite transformers flicks. It continues the trend of odd number transformers being the good ones
The 3rd one wasn't that good, but compared to 2 and 4 it was definitely better and had a decent 2nd half at least.

I guess we expected Micheal Bay to put out a good movie for once, in which he hasn't done that in years.

The 3rd one wasn't that good, but compared to 2 and 4 it was definitely better and had a decent 2nd half at least.

1 and 3 are the best transformers flicks and 5 has now entered that convo.

Oh god this bullshit is spreading here now.

This was supposed to be a safe space.

It never quite reaches the insane highs or insulting lows of the previous movies. I mean there is still plenty of insane and insulting shit going on, but it feels different. Kind of like it's just going through the motions.

It has the dual task of reintroducing Duhamel and glorifying the military while continuing AoE's "some shady military dudes hate all aliens" plot. Marky Mark is a jaded Autobot protector and temporary father figure to a orphan teenager that Bay still can't help but treat like eye candy sometimes. We know our female lead is tough because she plays Polo with men. And she is single because she is a smart Oxford professor who only hangs out with her family. Anthony Hopkins plays his character like if Basil Fawlty was right about everything, but he got fat and reliant on a smarter Manuel. Megatron is introduced squatting in a dilapidated building. He helps release some badass Decepticons that are almost all killed in their first battle. Prime disappears for large parts of the movie. They never let him go full psycho besides being temporarily brainwashed. One of the more 3D moments is an impaled guy in the foreground slowly dying. Merlin is a drunk and Tucci completely hams it up.

Hopkins and Tucci felt like they were the only ones having fun making this. Wahlberg's missing the enthusiasm from AoE and is now just a standard gruff sort. Female British lead is pretty much Bay's hangups with Kate Beckinsale. The action's not as great as the others, which is a shame because this may be the best looking of the movies.

You don't think we know this? Sometimes it's not an exaggeration and a movie is just that bad. This movie is just that bad.

Apharmd

this was a legit fucking bad movie

i mean

casual racism and sexism aside like

holy shit, i never thought that "an aggressive wasting of my time" would be such an appropriate description of anything

if you're in the movie theaters and it hasn't started yet

get out

right now

okay wait until metal gear gekko shows up, then you can get out

You don't think we know this? Sometimes it's not an exaggeration and a movie is just that bad. This movie is just that bad.

Nah bro, its your expectations that are all fucked up, see? You're expecting things. That's dumb. Just make yourself as fucking stupid as possible before you go in the theater, and smear your corneas with shit. It's fun. You'll have fun. You just have to be in the right mindset. That's your fault, not the movies.

what did you expect

Nah bro, its your expectations that are all fucked up, see? You're expecting things. That's dumb. Just make yourself as fucking stupid as possible before you go in the theater, and smear your corneas with shit. It's fun. You'll have fun. You just have to be in the right mindset. That's your fault, not the movies.

what did you expect

This made me feel like I was too hard on Alien Covenant lol

Speaking of which: did that thing, with its constant presence in the trailers, amount to anything substantial?

No. But it was sure trying to trick me into thinking what I was seeing was cool.

...what thing

because "something that was shown in trailers but doesn't actually fucking do anything substantial" can apply to a lot of things in this movie

Think he's talking about the shit with the kids at the beginning that made it obvious that Bay played Guns of the Patriots.

The Light

Just came back from the movie. I won't say it is bad as I was entertained by it. Although it was all over the place. Decepticons basically took a back seat for the majority of the film. Main villain wasn't really there. The little girl and the other guy were basically nothing characters. Optimus plot was basically wasted and would've been better to introduce him back in the beginning

Positives I was entertained by the action sequences. Butler robot was funny along with bumblebee.

LotusHD

Banned
this was a legit fucking bad movie

i mean

casual racism and sexism aside like

holy shit, i never thought that "an aggressive wasting of my time" would be such an appropriate description of anything

if you're in the movie theaters and it hasn't started yet

get out

right now

okay wait until metal gear gekko shows up, then you can get out

What were the casual racist/sexist parts?

And is Optimus really not in the movie for that long?

Positives I was entertained by the action sequences. Butler robot was funny along with bumblebee.

I was never into the action because the characters sucked and most of the butler humor was obnoxious like when it was building the music up around an important bit of information during that painful exposition and it was just the butler bot playing an organ or some shit.

At that point I knew Bay was just fucking with me. That part with the decepticons where it would introduce them with their names as text on the screen told me for a fact that Bay was just doing it to see what he could get away with.

The entire movie felt like bored obligation for some reason and he just wanted to see how much he could fuck with it.

Apharmd

women can't drive, ethnic stereotype robots, take your pick

also i swear to god he was only in this movie for fifteen minutes

three was spent being evil and doing dick-all

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
The Transformer bits in this were great. All Decepticons talked, the Autobots were fun. Second act, much like ROTF's second, was a slog. Too many humans brought too much cringe.

I absolutely loved
"we were brothers once." Very, very on point - felt like actually Transformers shit.

Did this movie even bother to explain what the fuck Optimus Prime was doing during the final battle? He just appears on the back of that dragon (which essentially does nothing) toward the end after everyone else spends 5 minutes getting crushed.

Did this movie even bother to explain what the fuck Optimus Prime was doing during the final battle? He just appears on the back of that dragon (which essentially does nothing) toward the end after everyone else spends 5 minutes getting crushed.

GOD, THAT MADE NO DAMN SENSE! Optimus makes a big deal about "I'LL OPEN A PATH" and logically you take that to mean he'll like clear the way for the good guys, maybe HE could have drawn the fire of the same generic Decepticon ships that we saw from the last film instead of the US Air Force's ships, but nope, he apparently flew around in circles to wait for the 3-headed dragon so he could land on it and fly valiantly in at the VERY LAST SECOND.

Even after watching this a couple of times, I' still not entirely sure what's happening, thanks to the 'fantastic' Transformer designs.

Megatron really needs to stop making his whole right arm a gun.

~

John Turturro's cameo return was nice. Stanley Tucci getting to be Merlin was OUTstanding, Anthony Hopkins was basically doing the "HARRRGGGGGHHHH" from Thor but for the entire movie, it has become apparent that Marky Mark is basically Michael Bay's self-insert lead (The hair being identical finally gave it away), and did anybody stay to the end of the credits to see if they pinned another stinger? I left after the bit with Gemma Chan as Human!Quintessa.

A more ambitious story probably would have had Optimus live out the Nemesis bit up to the final battle, and THEN he turns good again and sacrifices himself to finish off Quintessa, and from his crumbling body the Matrix of Leadership flies up and Bumblebee gets it, because no fucking way Hot Rod does in this film universe.

Speaking of Hot Rod, motherfuckin' Singularity bullets. "I STOP THE TIME!" That was swell.

I wasn't just hearing things, right? That was Steve Buscemi as the other rotund Autobot?

Also, STARSCREAM'S HEAD HAS NO BUSINESS BEING INTACT. SAM SHOT THAT BIONIC COMMANDO CLAW INTO ONE OF HIS EYES, AND THEN STABBED THE OTHER EYE WITH A BOMB THAT BLEW HIS FUCKING HEAD APART! The only reason why his head should be intact is if HE's also subconsciously repairing himself like how Megatron's head wasn't completely dead, so then we can see Starscream return to backstab Megs one last time.

You know what would have kicked ass? Grimlock flying in on the dragon in his Autobot form, and then Grimlock turning back into a T-Rex and the dragon splitting back apart into 12 Autobot Knights. Grimlock should have said some shit and done more shit.

THAT FUCKING AMULET TURNS INTO THAT SWORD AND THEN RIGHT AFTER OPTIMUS SAYS HIS LINE, THE SWORD JUST VANISHES FROM CADE'S HANDS, LIKE DID THEY THINK WE WOULDN'T NOTICE THAT?!

My review of this movie;

What the fuck was this movie lol

i sincerely mean that in a positive way, kinda! i have a particular affinity for this series and Michael Bay as a filmmaker in general, this was probably the best one of the series, (of course you rate that on the Transformers Scale) and even the most that felt like the original G1 series, lots more robot interaction and screentime it seemed

but man, the Bayman saw this was his Totally For Sure Gonna Be His Last One and pulled out all the stops and got real WEIRD with it. Shit is bananas.

This a movie that has
Anthony Hopkins being part of a secret society who helped Transformers on Earth
Anthony Hopkins with a cane thats actually a machine gun
Anthony Hopkins with a Watch Transformer who is referred to as "The Watch That Killed Hitler" (the actual line in the movie)
Anthony Hopkins in general
Hot Rod being french
Megatron negotiating with lawyers (which leads into....)
.....Suicide Squad but with Decepticons
A psychotic ninja butler C3PO who fights off his urges of wanting nothing more than to murder things
Marky Mark becoming a member of a secret intergalactic order of Knights and able to will a giant-ass sword into existence that he only does once
Drunk Stanley Tucci as Merlin the wizard in ye olde times
Harriet Tubman being part of that Secret Society Who Helped Transformers On Earth
Steve Buscami as a Autobot salesman
Optimus Prime being EVILLLLL, for like 5 minutes

i might be making this sound wayyyyyyyyy cooler than it might actually be to some people, idk i'm just weird and enjoyed the hell out of this for it's absurdness

What is clockwork is people saying to turn off your brains and go into a coma before you go see a movie. The movie doesn't want you to turn your brain off with all these convoluted plot threads, characters, dialogue, and overwhelming sensory material that you have to make sense of for 150 minutes. Also, this might harsh your weed considering how un-relaxing this movie.

Toa TAK

Banned
Real thoughts tho:

-Anthony Hopkins and his butler are the best characters this movie
-Megatron negotiating with the lawyers is the best scene in this movie
-The story and characters are bad, BUT, you already know that. What you don't know is how badly this movie fails on a fucking editing level. I don't know who the fuck cut this movie up and edited it, but it's jarring as some characters are in one spot in one shot, and in the next are suddenly 10 feet away and are performing some kinda action all while what's supposed to be a few characters standing around spouting exposition.
-People fucking clapped when Bumblebee spoke to Optimus Prime. I don't know why, either. You can guess, of course, that it wasn't earned whatsoever.
-People clapped at the end of the movie. That in of itself isn't what's mind boggling, it's that it got a rounding applause for this film. Maybe they were just happy it was over?
-Action is still cool, for the 5 seconds the Transformers actually engage each other.
-Loved that "Arrival to Earth" theme came back.
-If this actually IS Bay's last movie... it really does feel like it. There's a sense of finality to it all with John Turturro coming back and the clearly heartfelt (for Bay, anyways) cameo of Shia LaBeouf. He's throwing everything and the kitchen sink into this fucking thing. Despite the mid-credits stinger with Quintessa, I wouldn't doubt that this is his final go. Of course, you can easily make the same argument for Dark of the Moon.

That said, if you were walking into this movie expecting something decent or anything that wasn't a total abomination, you're a fucking fool.

In terms of this being Bay's final movie (even if it isn't, it will be the last one I ever see), I thought it was somewhat interesting that he destroys major locations from at least the last 3 films when Cybertron drags its hooks (?): the pyramids, the moon landing location, and Hong Kong.

My god. You must've hated The Mummy more than I hated this.

And that's unhealthy.
That's a tough one. I think the lows in TF5 are worse, but I was cackling like a maniac at essentially everything Anthony Hopkins said and did. I don't remember the exact dialogue, but his brief scene in the submarine had me in tears.

OMFG so Shia does make a cameo? Wonder what dirt Bay has on him.

Does he have a "I do NOT want to be here!" look like Bill Murray in Ghostbusters 2016 did?

Top Bottom