• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do people do on their vacations?

Laws00

Can you not just go back to work and take your vacation days at a later point when you're actually going to do something useful with them? Instead of wasting them on Gaf and drinking by yourself. That just sounds so sad.

Funny enough my company and department we have to plan everything out the 2nd month of the year.

2 weeks of vacation time and 1 week of holiday
Even if we don't know what could happen between the 12 months we have to have everything planned for the year

And I don't drink by myself. I only drink socially with people in real life. I find if I did start drinking by myself I might develop a problem with it

Servbot24

Banned
I've never gone on a purposeless vacation. Whenever I take time off it's to travel to a convention or something like that.

Fbh

I allways go somewhere. To another country if I can afford it or to some new place near me when I can't (the beach or the woods or some city I haven't been before).
One time I also took a week long course I was interested in.

On random free days (like a single day holiday and stuff like that) I either do something with friends/family or if nothing comes up I stay home drinking beer and playing videogames.

Taking time off without planning anything you want to do beforehand does seem like wasting vacation time to most people.

I've been saving my PTO for our honeymoon at a resort (only a few weeks away now). There will be drinking, trying new food, checking out tourist sites/attractions and beautiful views, hanging out by the beach/pool listening to music or reading, and all of those include spending one on one time with my new wife. All things I couldn't do during a typical week at work.

That's what vacations are for, a break from the normal routine.

My job mandated we take the 4th of July off, they told us this a couple weeks ago so I am with ya OP. I have no idea what to do that week.

Thoughts so far.

Catch up on games I have been meaning to play
Meet up with some family for lunch
See some friends
Take some walks
Drive to the beach and relax, maybe under an umbrella with a nice drink
Eat lots of awesome food, maybe grill a time or two

Another thought I have is somehow converting my house to something different that week. Change SOMETHING to make it different and fresh for just that week. Not sure what yet.

Hope you enjoy your time off OP, main thing is to just relax and unwind!

StayDead

When I'm on vacation, I usually just sit at home and play video games. Eventually I'll do some productive things that I usually don't want to do during the work week (cleaning, laundry, etc). I also go and visit people if possible (I mean usually they're working tho)

But mainly, just chill and play games.

Vacations where you go out of town are fun, but they're also expensive and can be stressful :p

This is me in a nutshell.

br3wnor

I'm assuming you're single?

If I wasn't married and had a week off of work I'd buy a fuckton of weed and booze, wake and bake in the morning, watch TV/Movie or play video games, go out and get an amazing lunch, come back, start day drinking, probably smoke again, play more video games. Once I was nice and buzzed walk to the beach w/ a book and some beer (I live close to beach so this isn't realistic for everyone), read for a few hours, come back around 7, order Pizza or Chinese or some other really good dinner for delivery, smoke again before dinner, keep drinking and cap the night off w/ TV and/or Movies since at that point I'd be too fucked up for video games.

I would do some variation of that plan every day. Mix in nights where I uber into town and drink w/ some friends or have friends over for a few of the nights and get rowdy.

Laws00

I'm assuming you're single?

If I wasn't married and had a week off of work I'd buy a fuckton of weed and booze, wake and bake in the morning, watch TV/Movie or play video games, go out and get an amazing lunch, come back, start day drinking, probably smoke again, play more video games. Once I was nice and buzzed walk to the beach w/ a book and some beer (I live close to beach so this isn't realistic for everyone), read for a few hours, come back around 7, order Pizza or Chinese or some other really good dinner for delivery, smoke again before dinner, keep drinking and cap the night off w/ TV and/or Movies since at that point I'd be too fucked up for video games.

I would do some variation of that plan every day. Mix in nights where I uber into town and drink w/ some friends or have friends over for a few of the nights and get rowdy.

yes im single

smoking an't my thing plus they do random testing at job

i do need to do a drinking thing. i had planned on something like that one day lol

cr0w

Old Member
My wife and I usually drive up to visit my Dad and enjoy some peace and quiet in the country for a few days. Does wonders for the psyche when you're used to the city. It's nice to be able to step out after 9 p.m. and see stars, hear nothing but crickets, and watch the fireflies among the trees.

When I was single I'd usually reserve a camping spot and go out with a tent and some supplies for a little while, just enjoy the time alone in the woods.

Vacations is when I get to catch up on all the shit I've been wanting to do but haven't had much time for, for me that's making music or writing or dredging out a videogame project to work on. Or just straight playing games and reading.

But my partner usually manages to combine it with renovating something or a trip away. Occasionally overseas, otherwise to the beach or mountains.

hoserx

I always go somewhere. I'm a hiker and a camper so I go backpacking or car camping, maybe mixing in some hotel stays on the road, with some nice dinners. I just like being on the road, and luckily my girlfriend does, too.

I had a day off this year when the kids were in school.

I got tons done around the house, and I even got to take an almost nap. It was great.

But proper vacations require a little bit of effort and expense. We did Disney this year, and boy oh boy was it trickier traveling with two young kids. We're going to Maine in a few weeks to kick it in a lakeside cabin for a week. It's great, though there's child management and food to think about.

If it were just me, I'd be sleeping in and relaxing on the beach. It's not ever just me though, so none of that for a few years. Once the kids get older, there'll be lots more flexibility.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
We usually travel. Mostly internationally lately.

But for staycations (not really planned, just 3 or 4 day weekends around holidays--more for my fiance than me as I'm a professor and have a pretty flexible schedule year round) we usually just sleep in, chill at home, drink, I catch up on games, fiance catches up on TV etc.

We're pretty active on a regular basis of seeing shows, new exhibits and museums, hiking etc. in our city and surrounding area so we don't really need staycations for that stuff. Though we'll sometimes do some of those things too.

shandy706

Leaving on vacation tomorrow actually.

My girlfriend and I haven't been together long, so this will be my first vacation with her. We split the cost and will be going for about 9 days.

First 4 days will be just us at the beach (about 5 hour drive from here) in a resort Hotel. We'll probably spend a lot of time in the bedroom, then drinks by the pool/ocean, then we'll probably go out in the evening to get some good food/drinks. Maybe a walk on the beach here and there, and a lot more hours in the bedroom before passing out, haha.

On Monday we'll leave the resort and head North to meet my mother and daughters at a beach house we rented for the rest of the week. Monday - Saturday will be spending time with family/girlfriend and playing on the beach, putt-putt, ice-cream, restaurants, shopping, etc.

I'm looking forward to this a lot. My first vacation without my ex-wife (was married 10 years), and she always made the vacations suck (horrible attitude and selfish on trips). So basically, my big/longer vacations are planned out.

As for staycations, I'd probably take the kids out to parks, go to zoo (haha), and I love sports so it's not unusual for me to take them to baseball/football/hockey games.

Try a baseball game maybe?

I also play a lot of video games if I stay home, although I try not to overdo it. Try some new food or restaurant too ;). Call up an old friend, or newer friends, and go do something. Invite them over for a movie maybe. Going to a theater is fun too.

Doesn't sound like you're on vacation, sounds like you took a couple of days off work and didn't plan anything. Vacation to me, is planning a trip away that extends several days and requires travel. I plan that first, then take the days off to accommodate the trip.

You just took a couple days off and are sitting at home trying to figure it out in reverse. That isn't really vacation.

edit. To answer you question about what I do on vacation? This year I've been to New Orleans, LA, Orlando, FL, Austin, TX, Yosemite National Park, CA, and 2 camping trips. Next month I'll be going to Hardford, CT and New York, NY.

azyless

Just do things you enjoy. What a weird question.
I have a lot of vacation time, so I just chill at home/in my garden. I read a lot. If the weather is nice I go to the beach or take a walk or something.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It sounds like you're home and just have time off?

Just enjoy the time off and do whatever you want to do. If that means going out to check out something you've wanted to see for a while, do it. If that means staying home, playing games and eating pizza all day, then do that. Nothing wrong with spending your time however you like.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like you're bored with your life or depressed.

If you can't find ways to relax on your days off there are larger issues at play.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I plan events before going on vacation... Otherwise I would waste my vacation sitting around doing nothing

Stay home

Say I'm gonna work on some shit

Don't

Sit around and watch videos instead

Alternately visit my parents or friends or go somewhere cool (I have travelled woefully little in my life, never left my tri-state area)

I used to do the "staycation" and freaking loved it, years ago. At my old job, working in Academia, I'd get 5+ weeks off a year for paid vacation (plus school vacations), and so I'd have several weeks off during the summer... Typically I'd plan it around a new game coming out for half the week (NCAA FOotball the last week of July for instance, or Madden the first week of August), and then usually plan a long weekend at the beach or somethin with friends for the later part of the week. Most of my friends had typical corporate jobs and only a few weeks off a year, so the staycation was my favorite.

I'd so shit tha tI'd usually have to do on the weekends and it'd just free up my time... So I'd do laundry and play videogames, do some household stuff. Each day I'd usually go for a long bike ride or go down to the court and play basketball and hope there was pickup going on.

After leaving cushy Academe, I went to corporate and now have my standard ~15 days off and so I'm more protective of my vacation time. Now, I usually take just like one full week off and it's usually to go somewhere. My wife and I are going to the gulf coast of Florida in August for a week, and we'll end up relaxing at the beach, the resort, and doing plenty of day drinking, plus some excursion acivities (kayaking, wave running, etc).

since you made this topic i'm sure you don't really wanna spend a bunch of money, i don't get much time off for trips so what i do is find local cool nature places, sometimes abandoned places, just try to find new places within an hour or max two drive to go see. doesn't have to be a pay thing just find some awesome parks or go see hidden waterfalls you can find with google or whatever your area has. i live in ohio so i feel like i never run out of cool nature/free places i haven't seen yet, and most people i know have been to more states and countries than me but i hardly ever meet anyone that's really explored the area around them as i have which is just as cool since i guarantee there's really awesome hidden places and parks or just ones you've never checked out. the internet is full of easy ways to find this stuff that years ago you needed to hear by mouth to mouth.

instagram is really good for finding things that are lesser known like this, follow photographers in your area and you will no doubt find beautiful hidden gems that aren't well known nearby that are worth checking out

when i see a cool places i go into google maps, and drop a landmark there which saves on your account. you can give it a label too, then when you get some free time you can easily nab multiple places you've had on your radar, i wish i started using that feature years ago. gives you a nice rolodex of places you can take friends and family later too since you won't forget the locations

Razorback

Open up google maps and find someplace near you that looks interesting and you haven't explored yet. Might be a park or museum or whatever.

I love getting to know my own town this way and I like taking photos of the places I visit. Also, I find that these little trips can be enhanced with a little bit of alcohol, or you know, anything that will get you out of your own head for a few hours.

What people often want from vacations is a vacation from themselves, and they plan these expensive trips to the other side of the world only to realize when they get there, that there they are.

Laws00

Sounds like you're bored with your life or depressed.

If you can't find ways to relax on your days off there are larger issues at play.

not depressed just bored lol

Leaving on vacation tomorrow actually.

My girlfriend and I haven't been together long, so this will be my first vacation with her. We split the cost and will be going for about 9 days.

First 4 days will be just us at the beach (about 5 hour drive from here) in a resort Hotel. We'll probably spend a lot of time in the bedroom, then drinks by the pool/ocean, then we'll probably go out in the evening to get some good food/drinks. Maybe a walk on the beach here and there, and a lot more hours in the bedroom before passing out, haha.

On Monday we'll leave the resort and head North to meet my mother and daughters at a beach house we rented for the rest of the week. Monday - Saturday will be spending time with family/girlfriend and playing on the beach, putt-putt, ice-cream, restaurants, shopping, etc.

I'm looking forward to this a lot. My first vacation without my ex-wife (was married 10 years), and she always made the vacations suck (horrible attitude and selfish on trips). So basically, my big/longer vacations are planned out.

As for staycations, I'd probably take the kids out to parks, go to zoo (haha), and I love sports so it's not unusual for me to take them to baseball/football/hockey games.

Try a baseball game maybe?

I also play a lot of video games if I stay home, although I try not to overdo it. Try some new food or restaurant too ;). Call up an old friend, or newer friends, and go do something. Invite them over for a movie maybe. Going to a theater is fun too.

funny enough i have tickets/giftcard to go see the phillies

thinking about doing that next month when im on vacation

Laws00

since you made this topic i'm sure you don't really wanna spend a bunch of money, i don't get much time off for trips so what i do is find local cool nature places, sometimes abandoned places, just try to find new places within an hour or max two drive to go see. doesn't have to be a pay thing just find some awesome parks or go see hidden waterfalls you can find with google or whatever your area has. i live in ohio so i feel like i never run out of cool nature/free places i haven't seen yet, and most people i know have been to more states and countries than me but i hardly ever meet anyone that's really explored the area around them as i have which is just as cool since i guarantee there's really awesome hidden places and parks or just ones you've never checked out. the internet is full of easy ways to find this stuff that years ago you needed to hear by mouth to mouth.

instagram is really good for finding things that are lesser known like this, follow photographers in your area and you will no doubt find beautiful hidden gems that aren't well known nearby that are worth checking out

when i see a cool places i go into google maps, and drop a landmark there which saves on your account. you can give it a label too, then when you get some free time you can easily nab multiple places you've had on your radar, i wish i started using that feature years ago. gives you a nice rolodex of places you can take friends and family later too since you won't forget the locations

This.

I should go to exploring more. I usually regulate like 30 min to 1 hour distance trips to places not to mention I don't like usually the turnpike and paying tolls

And again spending a lot of money is something I don't really want to do for places

muteki

I don't get a lot of vacay time and is a hassle to use, so I don't use it unless I'm going somewhere. Usually beaches, mountains, or theme parks.

Used to be that I'd go with my parents and sister to a rented beach house and just chill out. Not an option now. On my last vacation I watched YouTube until FFXV arrived, then I played that. I ate a lot of pizza. On my next vacation... stumped, no ideas on what to do. I even get two this year, which is has me worried.

Catdaddy

Just back from a week and a half in the Monterey and San Francisco CA area. We made a list of places and things we definitely wanted to see and a second list of things to see if we had time. Find local places to eat or chains we don’t have at home, find an area close by and bar hop.

Since we are now empty nesters, we stopped doing the annual beach/theme park stuff and go to places we want to see and explore, we’re going to skip a year do a Staycation one year and a more expensive vacation every other year.

cHaotix8

If I'm out of town, work out, find some good places to eat (No chains!), find something local to enjoy like a museum, shopping district, park. Just really try to experience what makes the location I'm at unique.

I don't usually take extended home vacations, usually just the sporadic "mental health" day or maybe an extra day during a company holiday period like 4th of July or Thanksgiving. Those days I play be ear and end up treating them like I'd do on the weekend for the most part.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
explore

drink & eat edible weed

eat delicious food

see museums & local music

for a staycation? mostly the same. living in nyc helps.

Top Bottom