• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

XShagrath

Still sounds way to expensive for what is essentially a pack of cards in the expansions and a set you will play once? I could see the appeal if this shit was cheaper, like Sherlock gives you about 15-20 hours of entertainment in the box before you are done with it.
I've been mildly interested in TIME Stores as well, and just like you, the price has definitely put me off. However, I'm looking for them via the BGG math trades, as I think that's a decent price to pay, and shouldn't be hard to offload either, as I'm sure others have the same train of thought.

zulux21

Time Stories, is this even worth investing in. Base game is $50 and once you beat the included scenario you pretty much wont want to play it again? And the expansions are $30 each? This seems way over priced for what you get
it's a bit over priced, but if you can get your friends to agree to split it it's not to bad.
I mean it plays 5 players just fine. $10 a person to start with and $6 per expansion each of with takes longer than a movie to go through so in comparison isn't terrible. luckily I had a friend that just bought it all.

I get them cheap online, I think I got the base game for $30ish and get the other games below $26. They are fun and feel really well planned out. I hear rumors of a connected storyline and being at the third one, more stuff is popping up. Each story does something a bit different and they are becoming more apparent how they are differing.

I am going to have to disagree here.
the base game is fun and really well planned out.
the first expansion is fun and pretty well planned out
the second expansion is decent but was lacking in depth in general
the third expansion is okay and very poorly planned out including leaving you paths to get cards that don't have rules defined until you go down different paths (even though you can use the cards as soon as you get them ect)
the fourth expansion was back to being fun and but a bit lacking again.
the thing is they clearly rushed the later expansions where the base game and first expansion still give you quite a bit to think about and decent different paths to take the later ones are all far more straight forward and just lack the same depth.

I am hoping the new wave of cases will be better and deeper again. Beyond that really want the final expansion to be a super expansion that has you revisit everything story spoiler
ideally to correct all the things you screwed up as we are convinced that Bob is actually a bad guy and the twist at the end will be that we have been working for the bad guys and now need to help the good guys :p

either way.... Bob's a dick.

zeeaykay

Just got a photo of my Crokinole board from the Hilinski Brothers. It's an homage to the Milwaukee Bucks, but also planet earth. I see he named it Arid World in recognition of that. What do you guys think of it?

Arid_World.jpg

sneaky77

We love Time Stories, and I think the good time with friends laughing for a few hrs is worth the cost for sure, obviously because the type of game it is, mileage may vary.

EYEL1NER

Just got a photo of my Crokinole board from the Hilinski Brothers. It's an homage to the Milwaukee Bucks, but also planet earth. I see he named it Arid World in recognition of that. What do you guys think of it?

Arid_World.jpg
It looks great and is sure to play great.
One of these days I'll get them to make me a board.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I had some QA issues with the new Star Wars: Destiny Spirit of Rebellion boosters, I got a Chewbacca dice with no card and I also got an R2-D2 card but with no dice. So I talked to Fantasy Flight and Asmodee about the issue, they were able to send me a Chewbacca card and a free booster pack for Spirit of Rebellion. I got the Chewbacca card a couple weeks ago but the booster pack finally arrived today, as soon as I opened it I saw that I got an Emperor Palpatine card and dice! He's one of the cards that I've been wanting the most (especially since his single price is in the $60+ area). Very happy about this.

Palmer_v1

Time Stories, is this even worth investing in. Base game is $50 and once you beat the included scenario you pretty much wont want to play it again? And the expansions are $30 each? This seems way over priced for what you get

We have a group of friends that time stories passes among. It's a pretty interesting game. I haven't played anything quite like it.

Edit: Fuck Bob.

joelseph

That Wasteland Express tray is next level. Gonna force other companies to up their packaging game. God damn.

So hot. If I win it at Geekwy P2W I will purchase a second copy and gift someone on gaf!

On the family front we have had a few games of Braintopia. This is essentially brain training the card game, mixed with snap.

We had to remove the snap component because Miss 6 was getting upset about not solving the puzzles first. Instead we just hold our thumbs up when we "get it" and everything stays friendly.

The highs:
* Almost all the puzzles are fun, like picking the colour name that is in the right colour, finding the most of something and the mazes.
* The tactile cards are really fun with the kids trying to guess what they are feeling.
* It is relatively cheap and a small box

The lows:
* The finger based cards are dumb
* There simply are not enough cards. I think they basically needed double for the same price point.

It is pretty solid overall and fun for the family. However there just isn't quite enough "stuff in the box" to give it a full recommendation. Pick it up on sale.

fenners

Tonight's game was Yokohama, freshly delivered KS funded "goodness" from TMG.

Mixes things from Istanbul, Guilds of London, etc, with more engine building, and kitchen sink victory point generation. 4 player game, all new players, took ~3 hours, and most of us had switched off at hour 2, I think. I ended up winning by a good margin, didn't see it coming, as I was repeatedly blocked throughout the game.

It'll go faster with more familiarity of the tiles & problem space, but fundamentally, because of the movement mechanism, you can't plan too far ahead - you will get messed up by other players' turns. So you end up sometimes doing a lot of thinking just as your turn starts because the board has changed so much.

Meh.

I'd play again, but wouldn't suggest it.

fenners

Everytime I see the "board" for that game my eyes just don't even know where to look there's so many symbols everywhere.

It doesn't help that they've got this mishmash of English & Kanji everywhere. But yes, the "board" looks ridiculous, especially if you follow the exact layout of where to put the scoreboard + progress boards, which is dumb as it's a waste of table space.

I didn't hate it. I can see why people would love it. Just not for me.

My mate got me Legendary: Alien for my birthday. Looking forward to giving it a go!

I'm going to give him Arctic Scavengers, if I can't find Shadowrun: Crossfire.

chifanpoe

It doesn't help that they've got this mishmash of English & Kanji everywhere. But yes, the "board" looks ridiculous, especially if you follow the exact layout of where to put the scoreboard + progress boards, which is dumb as it's a waste of table space.

I didn't hate it. I can see why people would love it. Just not for me.

I know exactly what you mean. I played it yesterday for the first time. 2p game took over 2 hours. It was just ok. I think I had it built up more in my mind, I was a little disappointment.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Dang after listening to rahdo talk about Gloomhaven on the latest Dice Tower (new format for the podcast is so good without all the unnecessary contributors) I really want to pick it up. Problem is I'm already playing ALCG and have other campaign-style games like Shadowrun CG and the like on the table. I could fit it in if I could play it w/ my wife, and the complexity isn't an issue at all but she just doesn't like edgelord themes enough to sit through that heavy and long of a game with them. :/ (And frankly neither do I, but I tolerate them better if the underlying games are great.) Really wish there were fewer edgelord games with campaigns -- I think this was a big part of the appeal of Pandemic is that it's really an untapped market (though obviously it's not on par w/ fantasy).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh and I should phrase that properly: I wish there were more deep campaign-style games with themes other than fantasy or something pretty edgelordy. :p Make all the fantasy games you want! (But maybe mix in a different theme and vibe (i.e., non-dark) once a while.)

Karkador

Banned
Oh and I should phrase that properly: I wish there were more deep campaign-style games with themes other than fantasy or something pretty edgelordy. :p Make all the fantasy games you want! (But maybe mix in a different theme and vibe (i.e., non-dark) once a while.)

I feel like the modern board game can only either appeal to some kind of european ethnocentrism or a inner 12 year old.

joelseph

My down state play group are losing their collective minds over Gloomhaven. Think they have played many many hours of it over the past 5 weeks? Looking forward to trying it for the first time at Geekway.

XShagrath

Really wish there were fewer edgelord games with campaigns -- I think this was a big part of the appeal of Pandemic is that it's really an untapped market (though obviously it's not on par w/ fantasy).
I don't understand this comment. What is an example of a campaign game that is "edgelord?"

joelseph said:
My down state play group are losing their collective minds over Gloomhaven. Think they have played many many hours of it over the past 5 weeks? Looking forward to trying it for the first time at Geekway.
I've logged 9 plays of it so far, with each play probably clocking in at 90+ minutes. I definitely enjoy it, and the story/campaign elements are great. The designer really nailed the difficulty, as every scenario feels extremely tense and down to the wire. I definitely have some criticisms of the game though, such as the fact that you can't finish picking up any loot you've left behind after you've killed every monster in the scenario. Being able to do that might have thrown off the character progression though, so it's probably warranted. Doesn't mean I don't feel a little miffed leaving behind chests and stuff though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gloomhaven? A lot of us don't enjoy those fantasy settings. He probably means games with a wider audience in mind.

Yeah haha that was mostly an admittedly cheap shot at Gloomhaven and Descent. But if you look at the best campaign games you're talking those two, ALCG, Pathfinder, Legends of Andor (iirc), Imperial Assault, etc. All insanely nerdy stuff. Like Magic-level nerdiness. I was just saying I only have room for one such game in my life unless I can actually expand out to non-nerdy people like my wife and friends, so please give me more games I can do that with. :D

I mean
pic3438433_md.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone been keeping up on Descent with the app? I haven't played in a while but I'm craving some dungeon crawling. Does it still play well with any random assortment of classes?

XShagrath

Gloomhaven? A lot of us don't enjoy those fantasy settings. He probably means games with a wider audience in mind.
Okay. The term "edgelord" to me means something totally different. I can completely understand someone not really being into fantasy. Sci-fi is like that for me, although I can get into some sci-fi games if the gameplay is good enough.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Okay. The term "edgelord" to me means something totally different. I can completely understand someone not really being into fantasy. Sci-fi is like that for me, although I can get into some sci-fi games if the gameplay is good enough.

Yeah it was more of a general point and then I just dropped in that slur for Gloomhaven specifically. And honestly I don't mind edgelordy stuff at all just that it limits playerbase for me at least.

pic2686662_md.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
My girlfriend isn't super nerdy, but even she's been fine with playing Gloomhaven scenarios. I think the "choose your own adventure", "update the map", and "enhance your own character" appeal to her.

Blizzard

Banned
Astrolad, I just noticed you posted a picture of the cultist. Of course that enemy is going to be crazy and knife-wielding. :p

But yeah, I'm not sure I've ever heard edgelord or edgy used in the sense you were using it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
And to be clear I'm not disparaging! I'm guess I'm using the term maybe just as a proxy for something fantastical and hyper-masculine in both cases (yes I know some of these games have "cool" women characters).

I was going to back Gloomhaven, then I came to my sense and realize I will never in a million years complete a campaign. I got Brass: Lancaster instead.

As a tangent...

The box for Terminal Directive is large. Like completely, ludicrously, and unnecessarily large.

I was going to back Gloomhaven, then I came to my sense and realize I will never in a million years complete a campaign. I got Brass: Lancaster instead.

We struggle to complete a Descent or IA campaign, we are never gonna get players together long enough to play through all of Gloomhaven. The whole legacy game aspect and length of it just does not fit despite it sounding so cool... know its gonna go to waste on us.

We struggle to complete a Descent or IA campaign, we are never gonna get players together long enough to play through all of Gloomhaven. The whole legacy game aspect and length of it just does not fit despite it sounding so cool... know its gonna go to waste on us.
Yeah that's the conclusion I came to. If you can get a group together to complete the thing, more power to you. Imma be here playing a hundred other games.

EYEL1NER

This is an edgelord

tumblr_inline_nbrsu7NzrX1r3swmi.jpg
Adam X makes me want to be an edgelord. I wish I was half as awesome as him.

Is there a Tabletop Day thread anywhere? I was looking around and didn't see anything posted in Off Topic recently. Does anyone actually want to make one, or even think one should be made? I can make one but it will be pretty bare-bones. I'm on an iPad for the rest of the evening, so any thread I make won't even have a cool banner or anything. I just thought it might be good to tip off the larger GAF community that doesn't venture in here to the fact that tomorrow is TT Day and if they are looking to have some fun, heading to their nearest game store might see them have a good time.

I initially planned on taking a ton of games to the closest good store, which is an hour away. I wanted to take Catacombs, Flick Em Up, PitchCar, and other dexterity games that no one in my weekly group will play with me. I was also planning on taking a few regular games and definitely taking my favorite Alien Frontiers, a game I was introduced to at TT Day a few years ago. Now that I've gotten into Armada, I'm going to take all of that in. The local Armada group will be meeting there to play some beginner or noob-friendly games and I still have a lot of rules and thing to learn in regards to the game. Saturdays are usually my X-Wing days too, so I'm taking all of my X-Wing stuff in; two guys from my X-Wing group will be heading there later in the day to play and I'll get some matches in. I'm not sure I'll take much else game-wise though. I don't want to take so many things and then only play Armada or X-Wing, or take things no one else wants to play, or see a bunch of things others brought that I really want to play and then decide to throw all of my stuff back in the car.
I still hope to join in the demo for Champion of Midgard that happens at 10 and the Deception: Murder in Hong Kong demo later in the day. I'm also hoping someone brings Food Chain Magnate and Captain SONAR, I'd love to try both of those out (though trying FCM and loving it might tempt me to buy the copy they have, and while buying it before it's gone for years is a good idea, I'd rather wait and see if one of the online stores puts it on sale one last time before inventory is gone; I know CSI was doing it at like $79.99 a couple times recently).

Got my copy of Mega Man Pixel Tactics decks (mega man, protoman, bass, and staroids expansion). I really like how they managed to make most of the characters feel like you'd expect them to from Mega Man.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I can't even be upset with anyone passing on Gloomhaven for length. We are well over 100 hours into our campaign and it feels we are about 2/3rds done.

Blizzard

Banned
Yep, and though Isaac originally wasn't planning on using a pledge manager, a pledge manager will apparently be added in the future since he has so many orders.

On another note, I got a comment from the Millennium Blades designer so that was cool. It turns out the solution to weird cases with Next vs. Play effects is that the player chooses which to use first. That is what they did in playtesting, and it makes a lot more sense than the hard "Play>Next" text in the rulebook.

Millennium Blades + Set Rotation sleeving status: 298 done.

Top Bottom