• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

99%

He's good yeah, but all classes seem really powerful.

Witch Doctors can pull 60/70 dps no probs with soul harvest, one shotting multiple mobs at the same time ^^

Teknoman

The voices after rescuing Cain/starting the cutscene where you first see Leoric summon skeleton soldiers are also really low compared to everything else prior to it. Even when talking to normal npcs after this section starts, their voices are really low. For comparison, I turned the voice volume down to 20, and everyone you could talk to prior to rescuing Cain, had a decently loud voice. Now everyone speaks at a much quieter level.

The lore entries are still very loud though, no matter what volume setting/part of the beta.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lore questions: Can anyone describe to me what the black soulstone is,
how Leah posses it
and
why Azmodan wants it? Can it perhaps be that Azmodan doesn't want the resurrection of Diablo?

lordy88

The voices after rescuing Cain/starting the cutscene where you first see Leoric summon skeleton soldiers are also really low compared to everything else prior to it. Even when talking to normal npcs after this section starts, their voices are really low. For comparison, I turned the voice volume down to 20, and everyone you could talk to prior to rescuing Cain, had a decently loud voice. Now everyone speaks at a much quieter level.

The lore entries are still very loud though, no matter what volume setting/part of the beta.

Not to mention that the music volume in general is super low compared to everything else. Bothers me quite a bit.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Sounds like he wants to be the one and only prime evil in existence, and isnt worried about brotherly love.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Azmodan

Also never knew about Tathamet and Anu. were they ever mentioned in game?

Tathamet and Anu is new lore. It's included in the Book of Cain.

how Leah posses it
and
why Azmodan wants it? Can it perhaps be that Azmodan doesn't want the resurrection of Diablo?

We don't know exactly what the Black Soulstone is yet, and we probably won't until the game is released.

And yes, Azmodan definitely does not want the resurrection of Diablo. Azmodan and Belial were the ones that lead the rebellion against the Three and caused the Dark Exile.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thanks for the answers, guys! Really can't way to see how the games story folds up...

forrest

formerly nacire
I am confused at this, what exactly does it unlock? Does it actually use the banner you create in-game, or does it just add an icon?

By creating a banner liking others banners, sharing them and participating in the art contest the community can unlock different goodies leading up to the release. Most likely the unlocks will be media, lore, etc leading up to a cool video as the 10th unlock. I think it was al datamined from the site and posted on diablofans.com

As far as individual unlocks go, each class has a sigil you can unlock by creating a banner for said class during the week long window when that class becomes available for banners. There will be a short grace period before release for those who may have missed a class. The sigil you unlock is associated with your battlenet account and will be useable in game.

Matchew

Battle tag -- beVo8504#1610

Just a quick question. If I bought the CE on amazon.com can I still download the game and enter the key when release? And if so where?

Thanks

99%

how Leah posses it
and

Wtf I thought you were spoilering BETA content not datamined shit.....

WTF DUDE NOT COOL

Battle tag -- beVo8504#1610

Just a quick question. If I bought the CE on amazon.com can I still download the game and enter the key when release? And if so where?

Thanks

You can download it from Bnet after you enter the key.

WTF DUDE NOT COOL

That's stuff all known from the Black Soulstone cinematic they showed at Blizzcon. It's not particularly spoilery unless you've been keeping yourself completely in the dark.

Robot Pants

I really think the Title for the Diablo 3 OT should be

Diablo 3 |OT| "I Want My Fucking Life Back!"

Straight from the Memento quote. I can't find the clip on youtube, but that doesn't mean the OT creator can't upload it!
:)

lordy88

Straight from the Memento quote. I can't find the clip on youtube, but that doesn't mean the OT creator can't upload it!

Speaking of the OT, who's going to take care of it?

Yoshichan? You my guy?

Teknoman

WTF DUDE NOT COOL

You can download it from Bnet after you enter the key.

Its not datamined. It was in a cinematic recently released by Blizzard on the main page. No one really knows anything that substantial about this part of the story.

Yoshichan

WTF DUDE NOT COOL
? They weren't even spoilers, it's common knowledge.
Be glad I at least fixed his broken spoiler tags. ;)
Thanks! But how were they broken, I honestly don't remember what I did wrong :3?
Speaking of the OT, who's going to take care of it?

Yoshichan? You my guy?
CarbonatedFalcon, but if ever needs any help (as if that's needed now that OT's been nerfed to hell), he can PM me anytime :3

maharg

idspispopd
? They weren't even spoilers, it's common knowledge.

Thanks! But how were they broken, I honestly don't remember what I did wrong :3?

CarbonatedFalcon, but if ever needs any help (as if that's needed now that OT's been nerfed to hell), he can PM me anytime :3

Your open
tag was actually a close spoiler tag on the second one.

Yoshichan

Oooh, sorry about that ._.

Raide

Diablo 3 |OT| "Hell Its About Time For Fresh Meat!"

Yoshichan

Diablo 3 |OT| Don't touch this game, Metzen!

99%

Sorry for my reaction, despite playing the Beta for 40 hours I'm keeping myself in the dark story wise.

But now I might as well watch that trailer :)

Yoshichan

Do it! They even cut the spoilery-parts of the Black Soulstone-trailer :3

Yoshichan

Daaaaaaaamn that was good.
Hell yeah, and the best part is that it's not even that spoilerish! It's the perfect amount of content to become super saiyan-hype!

CarbonatedFalcon has it claimed.

Yup. I've started sketching out some things and I'll definitely be in full-on design mode by next weekend. I'd rather finish or be mostly done early and have it well put together rather than rushing something out, especially for such a big game with a thread that's going to get a lot of hits.

The one thing I worked on today was a quick sketch for a PvP section, which at release will have the header graphic plastered over with a sign that says "Coming Soon (TM)". That's the plan right now anyway.

And I plan to modify my avatar with a Diablo theme (though I've already got the black and red going on). I was also thinking about making avatars for other people to take, but that's just sort of extra busy work that doesn't add much. Unless someone else wants to devote time to that.

Barbarian video is up:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/04/09/diablo-iii-barbarian-spotlight-video

Looks like IGN gets these videos first.

Was just about to post that after watching it...

Meet the Barbarian!

It is weird that IGN gets them first before they display on the official Blizzard site. And I don't know if it was just because it was freshly uploaded or what, but I couldn't make the IGN player display more than 360p or switch to fullscreen or the large player.

The demons with the giant arms are pretty neat. I don't think we've seen those before.

The_Monk

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I'm not following this thread at all.

Did the beta was playable on the Mac side too or was it for PC only?

I would like to try on my Mac or know if someone played the beta on a Mac. Having an Intel HD Graphics 3000 is probably what's going to stop me buying this game... Not enough power.

Wolfie5

Was just about to post that after watching it...

Meet the Barbarian!

It is weird that IGN gets them first before they display on the official Blizzard site. And I don't know if it was just because it was freshly uploaded or what, but I couldn't make the IGN player display more than 360p or switch to fullscreen or the large player.

The demons with the giant arms are pretty neat. I don't think we've seen those before.

Hmm, I got 720p first time I watched it, but can´t get it to switch to 720p now. Fullscreen works every time.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I'm not following this thread at all.

Did the beta was playable on the Mac side too or was it for PC only?

I would like to try on my Mac or know if someone played the beta on a Mac. Having an Intel HD Graphics 3000 is probably what's going to stop me buying this game... Not enough power.

Yeah, the beta has been both platforms from the start and cross-platform. Mac client is kind of fucked now in the beta though with technical issues - way worse performance than the PC client, which with some people experience similar issues, though apparently not as severely or widespread. It should (hopefully) be fixed in an upcoming patch or by launch, but they're cutting it close. It's really nigh unplayable for me on OS X at the moment compared to Windows, which plays (mostly) fine except for an odd graphics error I occasionally get.

I'm not sure about your integrated graphics there. Just off the cuff, it may work if it's a machine from the past year or two, beyond that I wouldn't hold much hope. There are plenty of resources out there to check that will have a more in-depth/accurate answer though.

The_Monk

Yeah, the beta has been both platforms from the start and cross-platform. Mac client is kind of fucked now in the beta though with technical issues - way worse performance than the PC client, which with some people experience similar issues, though apparently not as severely or widespread. It should (hopefully) be fixed in an upcoming patch or by launch, but they're cutting it close. It's really nigh unplayable for me on OS X at the moment compared to Windows, which plays (mostly) fine except for an odd graphics error I occasionally get.

I'm not sure about your integrated graphics there. Just off the cuff, it may work if it's a machine from the past year or two, beyond that I wouldn't hold much hope. There are plenty of resources out there to check that will have a more in-depth/accurate answer though.

Thanks a lot for the great answer and info, yeah my laptop is a MacBook Pro from mid 2011 I believe:

- 2.3 Ghz i5
- 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
- Intel HD 3000

So I believe to be out of luck... Shame that the Mac version got those problems, I hope they can fix that even if I'm not going to be able to play the game.

Thanks a lot for the great answer and info, yeah my laptop is a MacBook Pro from mid 2011 I believe:

- 2.3 Ghz i5
- 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
- Intel HD 3000

So I believe to be out of luck... Shame that the Mac version got those problems, I hope they can fix that even if I'm not going to be able to play the game.

I was checking for you quickly, here are some responses I found in regards to the HD3000 playing D3 (your other specs are fine):

On the Macbook Air i7 with Intel HD 3000, I managed to get 25-30 FPS on med-high.

You CAN use HD3000 to play Diablo 3, but you will need to decrease resolution and details. Anyway, the gaming experience is a complete failure with it. Consider getting a cheap dedicated video board.

Intel HD 3000 is on the low-mid range, wich is the same consumer range as the minimum spec video cards you mentioned. You should notice however that your card has a bit lower 3DMark (which is a benchmarking tool, by the way) scores than those mentioned. For example, the GeForce 7800 has around 12% in 3DMark 05 and your card has 20%, even though it has lesser scores in 3DMark 03 and 3DMark 06 for example. You probably will have to sacrifice in the video settings to play the game decently but I would guess it's playable.

For comparison, I have a Radeon HD 6570 (which is midrange) with a 46% 3DMark 05 and running Diablo 3 (with Mooege) on maximum settings can crawl a lot when a lot of ragdoll mob physics are ocurring on screen. So expect to make sacrifices in the graphics department but I think you should be able to play D3.

These are taken out of context, but they all relate. In short, you can probably run Diablo 3, but you will probably have to make graphical sacrifices, possibly even resolution sacrifices (lower than your screen's native res) to get it to work. Even then, there still may be FPS drops at times.

The_Monk

Awesome, thanks a lot kind sir.

Seems it's not worth it. I won't get the full or even half the experience. Maybe later when I upgrade. Thanks again!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
And I plan to modify my avatar with a Diablo theme (though I've already got the black and red going on). I was also thinking about making avatars for other people to take, but that's just sort of extra busy work that doesn't add much. Unless someone else wants to devote time to that.
I can make some avatars, although they probably don't have to be included in the OP

lordy88

In the spirit of release only 5 weeks away, I went back and checked out the Skill Calculator, and fine tuned the build I'll be most likely going with at launch for my Demon Hunter:

THE ULTIMATE CRITICAL HUNTER

Essentially focusing on getting as many critical hits a possible with multishot and rapid fire, with hatred regeneration companion to keep the damage pump alive, vaulting to get out of sticky spots, and a caltrops that adds 10% chance to crit. This build does have a decent dependency on items, but because of that, it makes it more fun IMO.

What cool builds have you guys come up with? Which ones will you plan on using first?

SteveWD40

Awesome, thanks a lot kind sir.

Seems it's not worth it. I won't get the full or even half the experience. Maybe later when I upgrade. Thanks again!

This summers Macbook refresh should have the HD4000, which I hear is 30-40% faster, on top of that the beta is badly optimized full stop right now, windows client and OSX. I think D3 will be playable on entry level hardware, it's one of Blizzards strategy's to make sure their target market is as large as possible via scaling and making the games windows and mac native on day one (same version too).

99%

I still can't decide which class to pick after playing so much beta it's ridiculous.

Witch Doctor
Seems to have the most potential as far as different builds and playstyles go. Play with pets, or without. The issues I see are a dependence on Soul Harvest, which seems to be OP almost. Also I don't really like the voice of the character, his posture and his sounds. But besides that this class has much variety and I love it (the armor progression is sweet ass too).

Wizard
Great, great feel while playing this one. Every skill and sound just has the right feeling to it. Very powerful, Arcane Orb seems a bit too much even... But I dont like the armor progression looks and I think the gameplay might be a bit one sided. Also everyone and their mother will roll a wizard it seems.

Demon Hunter
Love the fact that he has traps and is ranged, class has a nice feeling to it. But until level 13 there isn't a skill that I just love of firing like Dire Bats for WD or Arcane Orb for Wizard. Rapid Fire lacks the UMPF factor for me.

Barbarian
Best itemisation so far in the game, feels very nice to run around and smack things. I fear being forced into a tank role later on and as with Wizard everyone will have a Barbarian it seems too.

Monk
Lame class, please delete and replace with something else.

99%

Yeah something like Templar would have been nice as a playable class. Monk doesn't seem popular at all in the Beta, it's an odd choice imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom