• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official 1UP Podcast Preservation Society

Tadale

All of those 1up shows were very, very influential to me back in the day. There was a point where they were putting out one really quality podcast a day – it really was incredible how much fun those guys seem to be having.

I'm willing to be I wasn't the only one that sent it in, but I was at least one of the ones that spotted the now internet famous bit in GAF's Halo 3 review thread, where the guy seemed to be having a legitimate meltdown over the looming reviews. Still probably my favorite Heroes of the Web segment.

fatty

Do any of you guys have the Out of the Game podcasts? Mexicutedbyhepitacos went away and took them with it.

I have them but only up till ep. 16. But you should be able to download them here:

http://ooccommunity.com/media/out-of-the-game-archive/

Are people still able to download the podcasts from the 1UP site? They seem to be down.

No, I keep getting errors. Had better luck yesterday but now I got to the point where I'm not trying anymore.

CRS

Damn it. I hope people got the smaller podcasts too.

I was able to fully download In This Thread, Video Game Music Sound Cast, and some of Sports Anomaly.

tithin

Neo Member
Yep, I'm having the same issue. Trying to download and archive retronauts and the downloads cut off very quickly after starting to download.

CRS

Yeah, the higher ups finally pulled the plug on the podcasts. Left downloads running last night and they didn't finish.

tithin

Neo Member
Really really irritating.

I found a retronauts download torrent from 2008 right now, but that's still five years of torrents, with jose, jeremy, bob and others not responding to me on twitter.

:(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Well, while the torrents begin to come up here's a couple episode guides for the different shows, with the last 10 or so episodes for the Brodeo that I left out finally added in case you got it before I finished. I'm halfway done with 1UP Yours, so I'll link it when it's there. Like I said before, sorry if you hate the formatting, but it's purely for my own reference and I figured people might want copies too, especially for the humor in all the episode descriptions, hopefully those pages don't go down but this is just in case:

Retronauts

GFW Radio

What are you guys using to download the podcasts? I'm still going at it here with DownloadThemAll, now on Legendary Thread, and haven't had much issue.

Sometimes a download cuts out partway through, but I just hit resume and it finishes. Doesn't seem like they've been taken down quite yet. It's probably just that the servers are being hammered by us historians.

CRS

Using DownThemAll as well. I guess they had heavy traffic early in the morning cause I couldn't download a single file. Looks to be a little bit better now.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I'm really glad I took the steps I did:

http://area5.squarespace.com/blog/the-ultimate-fan-made-1up-show-box-set.html

2.jpg
1.jpg
4.jpg

I don't know about the podcasts, but rest assured the masters for the 1up Show are in safe hands.

antitrop

I'm willing to be I wasn't the only one that sent it in, but I was at least one of the ones that spotted the now internet famous bit in GAF's Halo 3 review thread, where the guy seemed to be having a legitimate meltdown over the looming reviews. Still probably my favorite Heroes of the Web segment.
That was Shawn at his best. Deservedly legendary.

OH GOD OH GOD GOD

Awww, man! I'm sure I was just making fun of myself, mostly. :) And if I really did make you sound like an asshole, it was just for comic effect. Nothing like that would actually ever bug me. So apologies for any psychological scarring there.

Anyway thanks for listening, and this goes for everyone at NeoGAF. The threads here and on Twitter have made a lot of ex1uppers, including me, feel better on this completely lame final boning by Ziff Davis.

Oh, and personal message from me to Ziff Davis: FUCK YOU, YOU GREEDY INCOMPETENT SHORT SIGHTED MOTHERFUCKERS.

I feel better now. :)

I had a good laugh from it. I felt like a misquoted celebrity reading lies on the latest tabloid magazine for a minute.

ape2man

Ok, so I found my 2007 podcasts folders with the following:

1UP Yours
EGM Live*
GFW Radio
Legendary Thread
Retronauts
Sports Game Guy's Sports Anomaly

Do people still want these made into torrents?

YES!!!!!!!!!!! please thank you

ape2man

Guys, if you can hold off a day or two I'm in the process of tagging all the 1UP Yours MP3s properly, adding album art and comments/descriptions in the tags. Also the files will be renamed to something like:

1UP Yours 2005-08-20.mp3

The reason for this is because the filenames will sort properly in this format.

If you have suggestions for a better filename format let me know. I'd be open to discussing it.

Also, the files will be separated into folders by years.

Once I'm done with this reorganizing and tagging I'll seed a torrent for it.

Here's an example of what the tagging will look like. I might change a few things, again suggestions are welcome. This will be a project of love :)

xdat8o.png

awesome

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
where and when?

Anytime, anyplace. Actually not really, I'm so married.

I had a few people inquire about making them copies but the cost of materials (and the time required for me to copy, like 40 DVDs on my one-drive system) made most folks balk. After all, if you can download the files, don't we live in an age when most folks could burn them to DVD themselves?

That said, I'd be happy to shared the .PSDs I made for the covers and the menu graphics. I just used NeroVision Express, so the menus are nothing fancy.

They're not allowed to sell it, legally. Wouldn't mind a massive torrent from those masters though.

No promises but a little bird told me there are some discussions going on that may land them somewhere on IGN, in high quality. We should all write IGN and demand this content be rehosted, with a significant fee paid to the original auteurs! ;)

CRS

Is that why Area5's page has been "SOON" for a while now? Was expecting a big announcement but nothing ever came of it.

Schrade

So are there still any torrents for the 1-up yours show?

I'm at work right now.. When I get home I'll double check to see that I did indeed finish every 1-Up Yours show tagging and descriptionining.

If I completed it all, I'll go ahead and make the torrent again.

It really is much nicer to have all the proper tags on the MP3s :)

So even though it was four years ago I am still here.

Ultima_5

Pretty sure I have all retronauts, 1up yours, egm live, broken pixels and 1up fm.

Was never able to get the 1up show sadly :/

Imbarkus

Is that why Area5's page has been "SOON" for a while now? Was expecting a big announcement but nothing ever came of it.

I'm not sure about that. I know they've been doing industrial video work, for publishers, etc. Payin' the bills.

tithin

Neo Member
Pretty sure I have all retronauts, 1up yours, egm live, broken pixels and 1up fm.

Was never able to get the 1up show sadly :/

If you could torrent retronauts I'd be super appreciative - I literally cannot download any episodes of it at all because the server shits the bed and cuts off any connections after about 60 seconds.

Schrade

Looks like I only have partial descriptions on them. Damn.

I hope someone archives the text so I can finish this.

2005 and 2006 are complete, 2007/2008 partial. That could be due to descriptions not being on the site at the time.. but I don't have time to check right now.

Edit: Never mind. I had the foresight to keep archives of the actual web pages using the ScrapBook extension in Firefox. All is safe.

I'll work on the 1Up Yours tagging project this weekend.

minc

We have them all and in the highest quality available. They just need to be web-compressed and put up. Working on acquiring permission.

Schrade

We have them all and in the highest quality available. They just need to be web-compressed and put up. Working on acquiring permission.

x264 using CRF switch please!

What format are they in anyhow? (spread across the years) DV and what else?

Jarnet87

Watched an episode of the 1up show yesterday (hope some of the content is still up) from back in 06 or 07. It was crazy seeing Sam, Mielke, Shane, Mark, Garnet, Kathleen, Che just to name a few. It really is incredible to look back at all the amazing content they made.

minc

x264 using CRF switch please!

What format are they in anyhow? (spread across the years) DV and what else?

They're on DV tapes. They'll need to be captured in real time and then re-compressed in about twice real time, so that's like 400 hours worth of work.

Doopliss

They're on DV tapes. They'll need to be captured in real time and then re-compressed in about twice real time, so that's like 400 hours worth of work.

With the result being 480p video? And higher quality compression than the MOVs or WMVs? That would be awesome! :D

voltron

Sort of having been keeping up with the news as much lately.... has there been any recent reunion type shows of any of the 1up podcasts?

GFW ...
'Yours ...

Anything?? :(

Or is this thread solely what it appears.... a barren wasteland.... a graveyard, if you will, of happiness, joy and nostalgia?

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Sort of having been keeping up with the news as much lately.... has there been any recent reunion type shows of any of the 1up podcasts?

GFW ...
'Yours ...

Anything?? :(

Or is this thread solely what it appears.... a barren wasteland.... a graveyard, if you will, of happiness, joy and nostalgia?

GFW Reunion show (live) in early planning stages---looking good so far. But don't quote me on it or put it on GAF or anything.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Here's guides for the main three casts in google docs, just straight dumps of the episode descriptions straight from the sites...if I messed up anywhere you can just edit it:

1UP Yours
GFW Radio
Retronauts

That segment is the thing that introduced me to NeoGaf. Was drinking a coffee in the study area when I heard the "Oh god, oh god, oh goooood" part and all of a sudden I was leaking coffee through my nose and I had fallen over in my chair, face completely red and coffee and laughing like a maniac.

Am I just missing something, or is the ListenUP era missing entirely from the site? 1UP has all of 1UP Yours, then about three episodes of ListenUP through 2/20/2009 and then it picks up at the 4 Guys 1UP feed on 10/23/2009. There are eight months of their headlining podcast just entirely missing from the site.

They're not in either of the 1UP Yours or 4 Guys 1UP feeds, nor do they seem to have their own feed. Did they just cull those eight months of podcasts entirely? I didn't just imagine listening to ListenUP in 2009, right?

Spending the evening downloading all of the 1UP Show and I even found my archived files for Retronauts and GFW Radio. Now.... If someone could torrent 1UP Yours, I'll be set.

Imbarkus

Where do you guys get all this hard drive space? Fuck.

Damn, it's going to take the better part of the weekend to download all of the 1UP Show. These servers are either bogged down with requests or just old as shit.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really glad I took the steps I did:

I don't know about the podcasts, but rest assured the masters for the 1up Show are in safe hands.

This is great news. I'm missing seasons 1 and 2 and a few episodes here and there after that. I've been watching what I have all afternoon and I'm hanging out to grab the ones I missed. Hopefully a torrent for the full collection will be up at some stage.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Might be a silly question but is there a torrent that contains ALL 1Up Shows(video show, not the podcast).

Top Bottom