• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

So I woke up today with a problem.
My PC was on and I can't shut down.
When I power off via menu or hard press the physical button the monitor goes to sleep,and the m/kb shut off as does the power button LED...however my actual PC is still going.

My inner LEDs, my motherboard is lit and cpu fans spinning. My GPU is also lit up and my case fans are going strong.

I'm still relatively new to PC gaming so I have no clue what's going on. Help GAF!

When I power off via menu or hard press the physical button the monitor goes to sleep,and the m/kb shut off as does the power button LED...however my actual PC is still going.

My inner LEDs, my motherboard is lit and cpu fans spinning. My GPU is also lit up and my case fans are going strong.

I'm still relatively new to PC gaming so I have no clue what's going on. Help GAF!

Some program may be stopping your computer from shutting down. See if you can reboot and whether that solves the issue.

Some program may be stopping your computer from shutting down. See if you can reboot and whether that solves the issue.

A simple restart?
Tried already.
Hard reset.

Ran Windows update. Oddly after flipping the power switch on the back of my PC of course it all shuts off, but after flipping it back on everything turns on at once.

Would you recommend resetting entirely and reinstalling windows?

kmfdmpig

should I be concerned about using an H100i V2 as my new cpu cooler. First AIO and i'm kinda paranoid about leaks

Also, from what I've read in the rare cases in which there is a leak that causes damage Corsair will make things right, which I haven't heard about competing companies.

Arment

My 6 year old PC is finally showing it's age. 2500k with a GTX 770 (originally a 560ti). Been going solid for a long time. The 2500k was truly a spectacular CPU. I've had it OC'd to 4.2 Ghz on the original thermal paste and the temps are still amazing. That's probably thanks in large part to the aftermarket heatsink but still. Out of all my builds, this one has been by far the best. I hate to see her go, but my fiance will still use her to play CS:GO and PUBG (though it putters on PUBG) and do her grad school stuff.

But man, what a crappy time to want to build a new one, eh? This video card shortage is kind of frustrating. I'm going to ride it out and wait for this new generation of cards. I'm not a cheap man, but stubborn enough to refuse to pay jacked up prices for cards that were going for much less not long ago.

This time around I'm jumping on the SSD train. I've never had one. I think I totally underestimated their effectiveness when they were coming out and kind of balked at them. The reports of them failing often put me off as well, but it seems like that problem is gone.

And gsync. I saw one in action the other day and it was like finding your true love all over again.

Alright I need to know what I can do about this issue with my system I built recently. I've checked the seating of my AIO (Kraken X62) and things look good, but I'm getting some seriously WTF temperature spikes and lots of heat of this PC. It's blisteringly hot to be around when I play a game and spikes over 80c+ randomly. The pump is functioning and you can feel liquid moving through the pipes. The software for it gets a bit wonky and doesn't show up for time to time.

Here are some pictures
h1JKizf.jpg

0XqUS19.jpg
Top temperature is ambient from the same room. It's blowing out heat at over 100F. I feel it's not safe to operate this PC and I've never felt so helpless about a PC ever.

Specs:
Intel i7 7700K
GA-Z270X-Gaming-K7
Corsair 64gb 4x16gb 3200mhz ddr4
EVGA 1080Ti SC2
EVGA G3 650w PSU

I'd add that I've also made sure Bios and drivers are all up to date.

repost-

A simple restart?
Tried already.
Hard reset.

Ran Windows update. Oddly after flipping the power switch on the back of my PC of course it all shuts off, but after flipping it back on everything turns on at once.

Would you recommend resetting entirely and reinstalling windows?

kmfdmpig

Alright I need to know what I can do about this issue with my system I built recently. I've checked the seating of my AIO (Kraken X62) and things look good, but I'm getting some seriously WTF temperature spikes and lots of heat of this PC. It's blisteringly hot to be around when I play a game and spikes over 80c+ randomly. The pump is functioning and you can feel liquid moving through the pipes. The software for it gets a bit wonky and doesn't show up for time to time.

Here are some pictures

Top temperature is ambient from the same room. It's blowing out heat at over 100F. I feel it's not safe to operate this PC and I've never felt so helpless about a PC ever.

Which way are the fans moving air on the radiator? I have a fairly similar setup (S340 Elite) with a Corsair h100 and the fans are set up as intake (unorthodox, but that's the way they fit) while the other fans are blowing out. Do you have it the reverse?

Which way are the fans moving air on the radiator? I have a fairly similar setup (S340 Elite) with a Corsair h100 and the fans are set up as intake (unorthodox, but that's the way they fit) while the other fans are blowing out. Do you have it the reverse?

2x intakes on the front and 2x exhausts on the rear. All of them are 140mm

kuYuri

By any chance, did you ever update your motherboard bios?

Which one is the better budget B350 Mobo?

- GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3
- ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4
- MSI B350 TOMAHAWK
- ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS

I'll be paring that up with a 1600 and GTX 1060 when they become affordable again lol.

By any chance, did you ever update your motherboard bios?

im not even sure as to how id go about such a thing.
would i do this via MSI's website?

i never even considered it may be the mobo.
i was wondering if id have to reinstall windows as ive come across alot of shutdown issues related to win 10 however none exactly match my issues. (fans LEDS cpu gpu still running)

kuYuri

im not even sure as to how id go about such a thing.
would i do this via MSI's website?

i never even considered it may be the mobo.
i was wondering if id have to reinstall windows as ive come across alot of shutdown issues related to win 10 however none exactly match my issues. (fans LEDS cpu gpu still running)

The only reason I ask is because when I first built my current PC, my PC didn't want to reboot, for example, after a Windows Update. If I chose to reboot from within Windows or if I press the reset button, it would never actually reboot Windows. I had to manually press the power button to shut it down and manually press it again to turn it back on since that was the only way I could "reboot". This was also on an MSI motherboard that I'm still using (MSI Z87-G45). This reminds me of what you're going through.

I decided to update to the latest bios on the motherboard and that seemed to magically fix it, I was able to reboot my PC like normal. Now it may not necessarily fix your issue, but worth a shot I guess?

What are your PC specs?

The only reason I ask is because when I first built my current PC, my PC didn't want to reboot, for example, after a Windows Update. If I chose to reboot from within Windows or if I press the reset button, it would never actually reboot Windows. I had to manually press the power button to shut it down and manually press it again to turn it back on since that was the only way I could "reboot". This was also on an MSI motherboard that I'm still using (MSI Z87-G45). This reminds me of what you're going through.

I decided to update to the latest bios on the motherboard and that seemed to magically fix it, I was able to reboot my PC like normal. Now it may not necessarily fix your issue, but worth a shot I guess?

What are your PC specs?

16gb
i5 6500
MSI Z170 A PRO MOBO

when i shut down my monitor goes to sleep and my kb and m as well as my power button LED all shut off...however literally everything in my pc is still on.
Cpu and cpu fans.
gpu and its fans are running as well as its LEDS.
the LEDs on the mobo are lit.
its like how in the hell is this remotely shutdown?
also ive never updated the bios before and im kind of afraid of frying it.
is there an easy built in tool?
or is this a manual process?

Azzurri

Any news on Threadripper? I'm getting that upgrade itch :D My PC is only about 2.5 years old, but you know how it goes.

kuYuri

16gb
i5 6500
MSI Z170 A PRO MOBO

when i shut down my monitor goes to sleep and my kb and m as well as my power button LED all shut off...however literally everything in my pc is still on.
Cpu and cpu fans.
gpu and its fans are running as well as its LEDS.
the LEDs on the mobo are lit.
its like how in the hell is this remotely shutdown?
also ive never updated the bios before and im kind of afraid of frying it.
is there an easy built in tool?
or is this a manual process?

Bios updates are relatively simple. But for now, let's leave it as a last resort.

Try posting this issue in Tech Support GAF? Can't think of anything honestly.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377301

Here are some pictures

You know, I've been having exactly the same issue since I bought my AIO (temps in the high 70s on a stock 6700k, and mine is only a 140mm push-pull), tried everything I could think of, and after a year I've just given up and bought an NH-D15.

I know my post isn't super helpful, but I feel your pain man :/

E: maybe get a $30-$40 air cooler and see if it makes a difference? At least that way you'll know whether your AIO is actually the problem.

If I have a crap i5-4670k ("sillicion lottery"-wise), ie. it doesn't overclock that well as is (barely 4.2GHz), should I just delid the bastard at this point (and fully replace the TIM) and see what happens? Thoughts? I'd really want to future-proof my PC for as long as possible and OCing to 4.4-4.6GHz seems like the cheapest way to go...

plushyp

For reference my original post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241734849&postcount=5287

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I just have a few questions:

1) Which SSD should I go for? The Samsung 960 M2 512GB is around the same price as a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB.

2) I'm looking at 1440p G-sync monitors and the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q seems to be one of the best. But its nearly 2 years old now and doesn't have any HDR support. Any chance of it receiving a refresh like the new 4K addition by Asus any time soon?

3) Which motherboard is the best choice for i7700k if I don't want to overclock and stick to air cooling? Don't need any good looks but need a solid and useful feature filled one.

4) 32GB RAM is overkill, right? Would anyone recommend Kingston for RAM/storage?

5) CPU cooler suggestions? Kind of lost on this one.

Thanks.
Pls help. Pls.

For reference my original post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241734849&postcount=5287

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I just have a few questions:

1) Which SSD should I go for? The Samsung 960 M2 512GB is around the same price as a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB.

2) I'm looking at 1440p G-sync monitors and the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q seems to be one of the best. But its nearly 2 years old now and doesn't have any HDR support. Any chance of it receiving a refresh like the new 4K addition by Asus any time soon?

3) Which motherboard is the best choice for i7700k if I don't want to overclock and stick to air cooling? Don't need any good looks but need a solid and useful feature filled one.

4) 32GB RAM is overkill, right? Would anyone recommend Kingston for RAM/storage?

5) CPU cooler suggestions? Kind of lost on this one.

Thanks.

1) The M.2 will be faster, but if you want to use your SSD for gaming the 1TB SATA is a fine compromise. Will still be speedy as hell.

2) New monitors (4K HDR G-Sync) were shown at CES and will release by the end of the year. I'd hold off.

3) if you're getting a 7700K, get the Z series mobo. You may want to OC in a couple years to extend the life of your CPU and it's a pretty straightforward process.

4) Don't know Kingston too well as a brand, but 16Gb will do fine for now. Given ram prices, I'd put what you'll save on 16Gb towards a better mobo or GPU.

5) Can't go wrong with Noctua or the Cryorig H7 for air. If you want liquid, look at the Corsair H100/H110. Remember the 7700K is a HOT CPU, so I'd invest here.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Which one is the better budget B350 Mobo?

- GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3
- ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4
- MSI B350 TOMAHAWK
- ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS

I'll be paring that up with a 1600 and GTX 1060 when they become affordable again lol.

Built 1600 system for a friend ended up picking out the MSI PC Mate it's the same as the Tomahawk just cheaper no shitty RGB crap. VRM and features are exactly the same as the Tomahawk. After hours of research it was best B350 board for the money. The Asrock Board really pissed me off that they ended up going with no USB 3.1 support even though the freaking Ryzen supports it fully.

Paired it with Corsair Vengeance 16GB LPX (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) kit runs wonderfully ver of the kit is 5.30.

I'd recommend using beta bios VA.53 and following this simple guide to flashing might seem excessive but the board is rock stable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVnQqC3LIyk

Link to AGESA 1.0.0.6 Bios.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=283344.msg1615507#msg1615507

plushyp

1) The M.2 will be faster, but if you want to use your SSD for gaming the 1TB SATA is a fine compromise. Will still be speedy as hell.

2) New monitors (4K HDR G-Sync) were shown at CES and will release by the end of the year. I'd hold off.

3) if you're getting a 7700K, get the Z series mobo. You may want to OC in a couple years to extend the life of your CPU and it's a pretty straightforward process.

4) Don't know Kingston too well as a brand, but 16Gb will do fine for now. Given ram prices, I'd put what you'll save on 16Gb towards a better mobo or GPU.

5) Can't go wrong with Noctua or the Cryorig H7 for air. If you want liquid, look at the Corsair H100/H110. Remember the 7700K is a HOT CPU, so I'd invest here.
Thanks a lot. I'm honestly not feeling like dumping so much into the monitor especially since the new HDR 4K monitor tech will no doubt seep into the 1440p range soon enough.

Thanks a lot. I'm honestly not feeling like dumping so much into the monitor especially since the new HDR 4K monitor tech will no doubt seep into the 1440p range soon enough.

Now that Sony's making HDR 1080 TVs it's a distinct possibility :)

E: so this is weird. Got rid of my AIO because temps were in the high 70s, fitted an NH-D15, ran some Prime95: 70C. It's better, but nowhere near as low as what some people are reporting.

2 theories: mobo is drastically overvolting my CPU, which doesn't look to be the case (I'm at stock, normal profile, only XMP is activated, HWMonitor reports 1.25V), or I've got a bum sensor on my mobo :/

E2: God DAMN this thing is quiet though !

E3: I must be crazy, I'm now idly wondering whether delidding would be a good thing to do.

Sorry to repost for new page, but:
Still getting weird noises from my new machine. One's like a mechanical 'beep' (not a note/tone) that happens sporadically, maybe every hour or so?

It sounds like a hard drive noise, but a) the HDD is brand new and b) It's practically unused (all files + OS are on SSD). What could be the culprit? I can hardly sit with my ear to the case waiting for a noise that occurs at random.

knitoe

Übermatik;241942987 said:
Still getting weird noises from my new machine. One's like a mechanical 'beep' (not a note/tone) that happens sporadically, maybe every hour or so?

It sounds like a hard drive noise, but a) the HDD is brand new and b) It's practically unused (all files + OS are on SSD). What could be the culprit? I can hardly sit with my ear to the case waiting for a noise that occurs at random.

Since the HDD is unused, unplug / disconnect and see if the sound goes away.

Übermatik;241942987 said:

Is your HDD a Samsung by any chance? I have one and it gives off clicks semi-regularly (CrystalDiskInfo reports all is well). Researching this online I learned that it's an issue with newer Intel motherboards and nothing to worry about.

MANGOD

Banned
Finally getting my pc, thanks to those who helped back when I asked this thread has been very helpfull. Starting off with an i5 7600k, gtx1060 16bg ram which im not looking to go over 1080p at the moment. Not had a pc in nearly 10 years and even at that it wasnt for gaming.
For virus protection is it still best to use Microsoft security essentials? Is that even still a thing?? Or avg is what ive used also. Not really using the pc for anything other than gaming but need something for protection.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Finally getting my pc, thanks to those who helped back when I asked this thread has been very helpfull. Starting off with an i5 7600k, gtx1060 16bg ram which im not looking to go over 1080p at the moment. Not had a pc in nearly 10 years and even at that it wasnt for gaming.
For virus protection is it still best to use Microsoft security essentials? Is that even still a thing?? Or avg is what ive used also. Not really using the pc for anything other than gaming but need something for protection.

You need a firewall (through your router), run a browser with a no-script (javascript blocker) and an ad blocker, maybe a flash blocker too (flash is dying anyway). Disable cookies universally too.

Then whitelist sites like GAF, Google, Amazon, Youtube, etc. As long as you don't download pirated software or shareware from sourceforge or tucows or whatever, you'll be fine.

tick221

If there a go to z270 board out there? One that has all the necessary bells and whistles while not breaking the bank and looking like a Saturday night disco. When I last built it was an Asrock but I've been out of it for a few years.

TokiDoki

And you'll need a 1080Ti to be comfortably running 4k . I really hope they make more 1440p monitors with fast refresh rate , rather than gunning for 4k .

b0bbyJ03

can anyone make a recommendation for a good place to buy Windows 10? I've seen people post links with prices as low as $20 on here.

kuYuri

And you'll need a 1080Ti to be comfortably running 4k . I really hope they make more 1440p monitors with fast refresh rate , rather than gunning for 4k .

I think there are already some 1440p monitors in the market now or later this year that are reaching 200+hz.

Is your HDD a Samsung by any chance? I have one and it gives off clicks semi-regularly (CrystalDiskInfo reports all is well). Researching this online I learned that it's an issue with newer Intel motherboards and nothing to worry about.

It is not, it's a WD Blue 1TB. SSD is a Samsung EVO though.

Since the HDD is unused, unplug / disconnect and see if the sound goes away.

Duh! Great suggestion, should have thought of this. I'll give it a go, thanks!
I can't locate the noise when it happens, but I've always suspected it to be the hard drive. PSU and GPU are brand new replacements, so it's not either of those (the sound occurred before too) - any chance it could be anything else?

AXE

Whats the best 1080 TI out there?

I've had good experiences with MSI, but how do you reckon ASUS ROG STRIX will compare to the MSI?

PizzaFace

Banned
Thinking about upgrading to an SSD and moving windows and a select few games to it. Think a 128GB will do be nicely for the foreseeable future, does anyone have any recommendations for what I should be going for?

Also, I imagine doing a fresh install of windows on it would be best. I upgraded to windows 10 from 7 a fair while ago, I'm not sure how that process would be, do I need an activation key etc?

Now that Sony's making HDR 1080 TVs it's a distinct possibility :)

E: so this is weird. Got rid of my AIO because temps were in the high 70s, fitted an NH-D15, ran some Prime95: 70C. It's better, but nowhere near as low as what some people are reporting.

2 theories: mobo is drastically overvolting my CPU, which doesn't look to be the case (I'm at stock, normal profile, only XMP is activated, HWMonitor reports 1.25V), or I've got a bum sensor on my mobo :/

E2: God DAMN this thing is quiet though !

E3: I must be crazy, I'm now idly wondering whether delidding would be a good thing to do.

What case do you have? How many fans and how are they set up? How did you apply your thermal paste? Whats your ambient temp?

Actually 70 in p95 is not bad at all for a 6700k. Delidding will drop your temps around 10 deg. Using a delidding tool is recommended.

kuYuri

Thinking about upgrading to an SSD and moving windows and a select few games to it. Think a 128GB will do be nicely for the foreseeable future, does anyone have any recommendations for what I should be going for?

Also, I imagine doing a fresh install of windows on it would be best. I upgraded to windows 10 from 7 a fair while ago, I'm not sure how that process would be, do I need an activation key etc?

Depending on what select games you are putting on it, nooooo. You want 240GB at the minimum.

Whats the best 1080 TI out there?

I've had good experiences with MSI, but how do you reckon ASUS ROG STRIX will compare to the MSI?

You can never go wrong with EVGA, but most 3-fan cards are fine from what I gather.

What's people's beef with the MSI Armor series btw, does anyone know? Seen lots of people online calling them shit cards. I've got a 1080 Armor and I'm super happy with it. Is it the lack of a backplate?

What case do you have? How many fans and how are they set up? How did you apply your thermal paste? Whats your ambient temp?

Actually 70 in p95 is not bad at all for a 6700k. Delidding will drop your temps around 10 deg. Using a delidding tool is recommended.

Fractal R5, 2 fans in front, one at the back, all 140mm, all at 1000RPM at the time, applied Noctua thermal paste using pea method, ambient temps around 25C.

Thanks for the info :)

kmfdmpig

Go for 250 if you can swing it. 128 will be tight with Windows + Office + a few games. 250 will give you much more breathing room.

dcx4610

Übermatik;241959745 said:
It is not, it's a WD Blue 1TB. SSD is a Samsung EVO though.

Duh! Great suggestion, should have thought of this. I'll give it a go, thanks!
I can't locate the noise when it happens, but I've always suspected it to be the hard drive. PSU and GPU are brand new replacements, so it's not either of those (the sound occurred before too) - any chance it could be anything else?

It's probably the sound of the heads of the HD "crashing" when they shut down. It makes a weird almost tonal type sound. It drove me crazy on my Seagate. I went HGST and don't hear it on those. You can also use something like CrystalDisk to disable the drive from shutting down. It's a power saving feature.

dcx4610

128GB is too small. I have zero games installed on mine and it can drop to 50-60GB free space. Considering a lot of games are 50GB now, you'll want 250GB minimum.

Built 1600 system for a friend ended up picking out the MSI PC Mate it's the same as the Tomahawk just cheaper no shitty RGB crap. VRM and features are exactly the same as the Tomahawk. After hours of research it was best B350 board for the money. The Asrock Board really pissed me off that they ended up going with no USB 3.1 support even though the freaking Ryzen supports it fully.

Paired it with Corsair Vengeance 16GB LPX (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) kit runs wonderfully ver of the kit is 5.30.

I'd recommend using beta bios VA.53 and following this simple guide to flashing might seem excessive but the board is rock stable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVnQqC3LIyk

Link to AGESA 1.0.0.6 Bios.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=283344.msg1615507#msg1615507

Thanks for the tips!

I'm currently running a Gigabyte board for my FX-8320 and I never had any issues with it in the last 4 years so I'm sorta leaning towards the Gigabyte but if the MSI is better, then I'll definitely go for that instead.

What site should I use to determine how much wattage i need for my PSU?

the plan part lists are either:

CPU: Intel i7 7700k (with O.C.)
GPU: MSI gtx 1070
Cooler: H100i v2
Motherboard: MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC
RAM: 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V Series 3200
SSD/HDD: Hyperx Savage 240 / 2TB Seagate

or:

CPU: AMD R1700 (with O.C.)
GPU: MSI gtx 1070
Cooler: Stock (most likely)
Motherboard: Biostar x370 GTN
RAM: 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V Series 3200
SSD/HDD: Hyperx Savage 240 / 2TB Seagate

Not sure if it matters: will be using Corsair HD120s for the fans

Carm

Alright I need some help and I'm hoping someone can look at these pictures and tell me everything is okay.

First up, using a ASUS MB, comes with Q-Connector for system panel functions. Looking at the bottom pics do I have the pled, power SW and reset SW in the right places?

https://imgur.com/gallery/EimUZ
https://imgur.com/gallery/UGyIl

The second question has to do with the I/O panel you install in the case. Does everything look fine in the picture below? The audio ports are off center and the other ports are deeper than I expected. It does looks look like there is padding in the panel. I had to push the MB towards the panel when inserting the screws, normal?

https://imgur.com/gallery/75FrO

Appreciated if anyone has an answer.

Here are some pictures

Was the 7700k running without the AIO at some point (and performing normally in terms of temps) or did you buy it with the AIO and put it on immediately?

Take the AIO off, clean the shit out of the IHS and cooler, use some good thermal paste and give it another try.

If you have capable hands and can follow directions (I'm being sarcastic, I'm sure you do/can), I'd suggest a de-lid and re-lid. Kit is $38 from Rockittool and about another $14 for Coollabortary Liquid Ultra, plus like $7 for gasket maker to stick the IHS back on. I had never done it before and it was easy and well worth it. You'd have to be blind to fuck it up. If you want more info, let me know.

Otherwise just start with my first suggestion above. Unless your AIO is busted in some weird way, this is either a contact or thermal paste issue.

Alright I need some help and I'm hoping someone can look at these pictures and tell me everything is okay.

First up, using a ASUS MB, comes with Q-Connector for system panel functions. Looking at the bottom pics do I have the pled, power SW and reset SW in the right places?

https://imgur.com/gallery/EimUZ
https://imgur.com/gallery/UGyIl

The second question has to do with the I/O panel you install in the case. Does everything look fine in the picture below? The audio ports are off center and the other ports are deeper than I expected. It does looks look like there is padding in the panel. I had to push the MB towards the panel when inserting the screws, normal?

https://imgur.com/gallery/75FrO

Appreciated if anyone has an answer.

Everything looks fine. With respect to I/O panel: they can be off a bit sometimes depending on what happens while you're securing it.

Top Bottom