• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Ace Combat 7 on PS4: First Look + Tech Analysis + Frame-Rate Test

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Holy shit DF, that's NOT okay.
No, but that's also not common for it to drop so sharply. It averages around 47fps and it's still almost a year away.

That's why you cannot pass judgement too harshly when talking pre-release software. If it launches like this then, yes, it's a problem but at this stage you can only hope for improvement.

Sevenfold

It was very typical of PSVR on the base system. Not excellent but sufficient. The VR experience was generally quite good here and the game is well suited to it.

I can't help but think that because the dev interviewed isn't sensitive to frame rate drops the game will release with vanilla PS4 having an uncapped and therefore wildly fluctuating frame rate. I know you said it's early code, but his attitude doesn't inspire confidence. For something that surely can't be hard to implement, that will please a large number of customers and will in fact be barrier to purchase for others.
In the footage you provided there seems to be enough overhead for locked 30, and with the dev saying framerate in a (twitch shooter?) game such as this isn't important, 30 has to be an option right?
I find it odd that in 2017, a dev can be seemingly tone deaf to what gamers like, and that for every game that makes an effort to give console players a touch of what makes PC stand out (options) a load still don't get it. I could understand 10 years ago, but in the days of HDR, 4K tvs, checkerboarding and variable resolutions, developers' reluctance to allow their customers to tailor the experience is bizarre.

Or am I just too used to being around enthusiasts?

I'd like to see a (React type I guess) video where non-gamers are introduced to the villains of bad frame pacing/input lag/low frame rate, with no prior knowledge, just to see if they even pick up on the problems while playing.

KageMaru

Yeah but they also suggested that they're aiming for 60fps on Pro and Xbox X. I think they should cap it at 30 on PS4/Xo and go for 60 on the more powerful machines.

Obviously I hope they hit 60fps on all consoles but if they go this route, I wonder if Sony would cap the Pro version at 30fps to keep parity, at least for the MP. I may have to double dip on this for the Pro and PC.

Great work as always John.

nkarafo

They could at least lock it at 30fps. It's pretty bad.

Things like this make me feel glad i skipped consoles completely this gen in favor of a gaming PC.

This is super disappointing. I'm really not buying the PS4 version for VR AND the PC version for regular play.

It's hardly surprising though given we're in an era where most people think a 4K30 smearfest is the pinnacle of gaming experiences.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's really disheartening knowing that they're not for certain aiming for 60fps, because the trailer from January suggested they were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zxB1ahoz_M

Even though it's mostly cut-scenes, the parts that are clearly gameplay or replay camera work, are 60fps.

Again, game is WIP right now. We don't know how far into development it is. It's running at an average FPS of 45~47 in its current WIP state. They could always do more optimization before release or implement a dynamic resolution scaling method or something to get it upto 60 FPS.

In either case, even if they keep the unlocked frame rate, at least Pro and XBX will be much closer to 60 FPS at all times. Not that it excuses OG PS4 and XB not getting 60 FPS.

I'm glad they're prioritizing visual fidelity over framerate. Japanese devs don't often provide visual enhancements on PC over console level (apart from resolution and framerate of course), so having the highest graphics baseline possible on console gets me an even prettier PC version at 60+ fps.

remembering the times when japanese developers were state of the art in realtime graphics and seeing how they now rely on third party engines sadens me greatly :,(

Top Bottom