• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC post-embargo impressions [30fps, locked 1024x720 internal framebuffer]

lexi

Banned
how is it ok? my god asking for a game to support a change in resolution is not a tall order, its the bare minimum.
I honestly cant think of any game, since maybe the DOS era, that you cant change the resolution on.

I played the game on ps3, and enjoyed it a lot, but such a port does not deserve my support. honestly people saying this is some sort of elitisim instead of having some standards are baffling to me

I love how this thread has mentioned multiple time that changing resolutions is bare minimum, a basic feature, etc. Really, it's beyond that. I was playing this game in 1996, and I could change the resolution in the settings menu.

quake1-1.gif.gif

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
whats shocking is the engine this game uses is the same as GRID and other games that are on pc

aFIGurANT

After trading in my PS3 version ~9 months ago, I'm just going to be happy to have this game again.

While the game is not what most people seem to consider a "2012 PC Game" since it doesn't allow resolutions to be anything you want (kind of sucks) and since it isn't running at 100 FPS on the new bulldozer crossfiring w/e, people need to realize that this is the correct response to give From.

E.G: THANK YOU for making a game that I will happily buy again even though I shelled out 70 bucks at midnight on launch night, at a gamestop, which I abhor doing. Did not mind that but I love paying you 30 bucks for the game again since you guys made something pretty damn special. Thanks for the full game on PC so quickly, thanks for the DLC that is packaged in your "discounted" product (already 25 percent off with the GMG codes + steam sales down the road), and the FREE multiplayer ( this applies to the 360 crowd) and definitely thanks for releasing with the DLC as an exclusive to the PC until October or whenever.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I love how this thread has mentioned multiple time that changing resolutions is bare minimum, a basic feature, etc. Really, it's beyond that. I was playing this game in 1996, and I could change the resolution in the settings menu.

quake1-1.gif.gif

To add to the point, you can play that game in 2016 and probably use your monitors native res by then as well. Which is one of the great pillars of pc-gaming if you ask me, the fact that the games scale with the hardware.

Eusis

E.G: THANK YOU for making a game that I will happily buy again even though I shelled out 70 bucks at midnight on launch night, at a gamestop, which I abhor doing. Did not mind that but I love paying you 30 bucks for the game again since you guys made something pretty damn special. Thanks for the full game on PC so quickly, thanks for the DLC that is packaged in your "discounted" product (already 25 percent off with the GMG codes + steam sales down the road), and the FREE multiplayer ( this applies to the 360 crowd) and definitely thanks for releasing with the DLC as an exclusive to the PC until October or whenever.
Some of that stuff should be standard ANYWAY though, and arbitrarily delaying DLC is never something to go "thank you" to. And it's not "correct" with your additions, I love the game but I was eager to rebuy it with the hope of at least a more consistent frame rate, with higher resolutions fully expected. They only matched the first with a more reliable 30 FPS, and the latter was botched entirely, so I'd rather wait until a deeper sale if I'm refunded.

To add to the point, you can play that game in 2016 and probably use your monitors native res by then as well. Which is one of the great pillars of pc-gaming if you ask me, the fact that the games scale with the hardware.
Admittedly this requires extra software, but it ran in any resolution you could reasonably expect at the time, and was open for future improvements. Said openness also ultimately gave us Team Fortress 2 along with other staples like Capture the Flag.

Durante

Indeed. A badly optimized game will be bad for a year or two. A locked down game will stay locked down forever (or until someone fixes it).

Adnor

Banned
While the game is not what most people seem to consider a "2012 PC Game" since it doesn't allow resolutions to be anything you want (kind of sucks) and since it isn't running at 100 FPS on the new bulldozer crossfiring w/e, people need to realize that this is the correct response to give From.

But the game isn't free, so it's not strange that people won't say thanks if it doesn't meet their standards.
Releasing the game on PC isn't a favor that FROM is doing to PC gamers, it just a way to make extra money, and to compete with the other games in the PC market they should have the bare minimum that the competition has in every aspect of the game, including the technical aspect.

aFIGurANT

Well which additions of mine are incorrect exactly? Opening the game up to the PC marketplace decreases the prices and allows for steamworks game codes to be put out, which is reliable and well-liked. The DLC thing would piss me off if I was a xbox or ps3 owner still, but just like with anything you are proud when your platform gets the new stuff months and months in advance - it's nice that we are not having to pay for the game now + Artorias of the Abyss in a month like the consoles. Resolution issues are going to be fun to watch - if the game is stable and we go back 5 years in textures and everything even still, it's going to be kind of surreal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

And therein lies the problem: Supporting the port may be the correct response to give From, but it's the incorrect response to give Scamco. All the latter will see is a bright neon sign that says, "Coughing up the resources for an acceptable PC port is not necessary."

lexi

Banned

Don't forget that same engine was also the basis for Half-Life :)

aFIGurANT

And therein lies the problem: Supporting the port may be the correct response to give From, but it's the incorrect response to give Scamco. All the latter will see is a bright neon sign that says, "Coughing up the resources for an acceptable PC port is not necessary."

Either way this game is still pretty niche though. NPDs will tell the story in a few months in terms of platform performances from the console launches vs the pc launch in a week.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Either way this game is still pretty niche though. NPDs will tell the story in a few months in terms of platform performances from the console launches vs the pc launch in a week.

Yeah, I'm just pointing out that the situation is double-sided.

NBtoaster

NPD wont tell you anything about the pc version. Best info you can get is the number of cuncurrent players on Steam at launch.

aFIGurANT

Oh really? I guess that makes sense for Steam games since Valve is the only one really "allocating" "inventory" - how does that even work when you try to cash in as a publisher then? I assume that Namco will get sales numbers to report sooner or later for the digital version, right?

TheD

The Detective
If you're talking about Codemasters' GRID, then you're wrong. They're using their own engine.

No, you are wrong.

EGO is based on Phyre.

This is even more stupid than the morons that made Alice:Madness returns and decision to framerate cap the PC version at 30FPS in a ini file for no reason.

But the game isn't free, so it's not strange that people won't say thanks if it doesn't meet their standards.
Releasing the game on PC isn't a favor that FROM is doing to PC gamers, it just a way to make extra money, and to compete with the other games in the PC market they should have the bare minimum that the competition has in every aspect of the game, including the technical aspect.

Damn right!

We do not owe from soft ANYTHING, if they want our money they should do a good job and at least support the basics!

Zzoram

NPD doesn't get detailed digital distribution numbers and Dark Souls is digital distribution-only for North America. NA doesn't have a retail package.

No, you are wrong.

EGO is based on Phyre.

NO YOU! :D

I didn't know that. Thank you.

But because it's based on it, it doesn't mean it's still the same engine. The CoD engine is based on the Q3A engine, as everyone knows, but I doubt the code looks similar.

I still get what you're saying.

yarden24

why is that the correct response? as far as im concered the correct response is,
I loved your game on the ps3 FROM, but as you dont see fit to put enough effort in your PC port to make it anywhere close to acceptable, you shall not be getting my money.

though I never really buy DLC anyway, so thats not big enough an incentive

Salsa

This is the kind of shit by wich people pull the "Master Race" meme from. Seems like for some people consoles just fuck up your brain on what you should rightfully expect from a company. You guys have way less freedom than what you get on PC so you dont feel entitled to nearly as much. Saying "Thank You" from this is fucking ridiculous.

You're even saying "thank you for releasing DLC as an exclusive to the PC", that shit is console business melting your brain. Exclusivity deals are ALWAYS utter crap and only harmful to the customer.

The Oliver Twist mentality of being happy with what you get still has a line that is VERY easy to cross. Just get with the times on what a PC port is since 15 years ago or so. People are not asking for much AT ALL and they still fucked it up.

Eusis

Exclusivity deals are ALWAYS utter crap and only harmful to the customer.
Well, maybe in some cases for full games it can allow them to fully use a system's quirks without worrying about the experience elsewhere, but that's PROBABLY been the exception rather than the norm, and only with a few examples has that been relevant for DLC. And by few examples, I mean PC stuff like TF2's constant updates versus Microsoft's setup that simply makes it impractical, at least when it was most relevant.

I can't believe that we're still not past that point.

"not a 2012 PC game"? Changing the resolution in a PC game has been a standard for almost two decades now.

Two decades.

If that doesn't make it clear how fucked up it is, then I don't know what would. I can't even come up with a console analogy.

Salsa

And by few examples, I mean PC stuff like TF2's constant updates versus Microsoft's setup that simply makes it impractical, at least when it was most relevant.

The reason why you dont get those TF2 updates on Xbox is because both you and Valve would have to pay for them

Eusis

The reason why you dont get those TF2 updates on Xbox is because both you and Valve would have to pay for them
Pretty much. DLC and patching policies made it impractical, and every other example of "acceptable" exclusive DLC is the same story: it's something that they couldn't do for the 360, and maybe not PS3 either.

Durante

This is even more stupid than the morons that made Alice:Madness returns and decision to framerate cap the PC version at 30FPS in a ini file for no reason.
Hey, Alice is a fantastic PC port. Having to change 2 characters in an .ini file is hardly a big deal.

If Dark Souls had an .ini entry for framebuffer resolution and framerate I doubt anyone would complain.

"not a 2012 PC game"? Changing the resolution in a PC game has been a standard for almost two decades now.

Two decades.

If that doesn't make it clear how fucked up it is, then I don't know what would. I can't even come up with a console analogy.
The best I heard is having to enter a 2 page alphanumeric code every time you want to continue your game instead of a save system.

The best I heard is having to enter a 2 page alphanumeric code every time you want to continue your game instead of a save system.

Oh, that's a good one. But maybe it's more like Microsoft and Sony dropping HD resolutions and HDMI in the next gen consoles and go back to 360p and 480p. The games are still going to be great and the resolution has no impact on that at all.

TheD

The Detective
Hey, Alice is a fantastic PC port. Having to change 2 characters in an .ini file is hardly a big deal.

If Dark Souls had an .ini entry for framebuffer resolution and framerate I doubt anyone would complain.

Still really stupid (and I have not even brought up what it does if you have a 16:10 monitor) and it is also an example of really stupid things some devs do to PC versions of games for no reason.

_machine

It's also worth repeating that the game should not have passed GFWL's requirements:
1.5 Support Multiple Aspect Ratios and Resolutions
Requirement
The game must support at least the following aspect ratios and associated screen resolutions:
4:3 normal (800×600 or 1024×768)
16:9 widescreen (1280×720)
16:10 widescreen (1152×720 or 1680×1050 or 800×480)
For screen resolution configuration and detection, the game must adhere to the following rules:
The game uses the desktop resolution of the display device by default if it is a supported resolution. The desktop aspect ratio must be used as a search criterion if the game chooses a different default resolution.
The game must prompt the user to confirm new display settings when a change is made. If the user does not accept within 15 seconds, the display must revert to the previous setting.
The game must not stretch pixels or center a 4:3 render window to support widescreen aspect ratios. However, letterboxing is acceptable.
Link

Because of the 1024x720 framebuffer the renderer stretches pixels whether your aspect ratio is 16:9,16:10 or 4:3 thus it doesn't meet the requirements of a modern pc game. I haven't seen any shots with any small text, but if there is small text it'll probably be unreadable on a 4:3 screen.

I still don't see how this is accetable in any way, much as I would finally like to be able to play the game.

This reminds me of the time the guy from JAW called us ninjas because apparently it took that kind of heightened perception to tell that he was ripping us off.

It's also worth repeating that the game should not have passed GFWL's requirements:

They let Bioshock 2 through without 360 pad support, which they had already implemented in the 360 version. Gfwl certificaion is worse than the Nintendo Seal of Approval.

_machine

They let Bioshock 2 through without 360 pad support, which they had already implemented in the 360 version. Gfwl certificaion is worse than the Nintendo Seal of Approval.
It doesn't seem to be necessary though:
1.4 Support the Xbox 360 Common Controller for Windows [Conditional Requirement]
Requirement
Games that support gamepad controllers must support the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows using the XInput API.
But even still, this game is missing a most basic feature that I can't remember seeing in my 14 years of pc gaming missing in any proper retail game.

accx

I touched on this earlier but i never got a response, and i'm not sure if it's been mentioned again.

Even though somebody would come along and mod the game, how would that work in an multiplayer environment?
I'm gonna go out on a limb that the game wont have mod support so it would probably work something like a hack instead of a mod, and in that case, wouldn't that consider "cheating"?

I'm not talking about cheating cheating, but rather that the servers would flag it as hacking and get you banned.
I mean, modders would most likely have to edit core files that would register as a hack/cheat.

I'd love some input from someone that could disprove my theory, or just insights from all of you.

EDIT:

Link

Because of the 1024x720 framebuffer the renderer stretches pixels whether your aspect ratio is 16:9,16:10 or 4:3 thus it doesn't meet the requirements of a modern pc game. I haven't seen any shots with any small text, but if there is small text it'll probably be unreadable on a 4:3 screen.

I still don't see how this is accetable in any way, much as I would finally like to be able to play the game.

While not acceptable, is there any list of games that has been denied for failing to comply with the rules that gfwl mention?
From my point of view i would look at those as guidelines rather than strict rules, because frankly, microsoft cares fuck all about gfwl.
It would be an interesting read to see which games that got denied because of failing to comply with the rules.

Kade

Got Darksiders II for PC and that game has even less options than Dark Souls PC. Fortunately, the game is nicely optimized, looks great, isn't framerate capped and renders at post-1996 resolutions.

If Dark Souls is anything like this (and it doesn't seem to be if previews are any indication), I'd be pretty satisfied.

QaaQer

Oh God, this argument again, it's like console owners cannot read. Nobody asked for 1:1 port, it is implicitly assumed a PC port will at least be tailored to PC in some way, the more the better.

Do you ask every time a new game is presented if there is a save system present? No, because things like that are fucking standard by now.

A save system would totally compromise the gameplay as designed by From. Not having saves makes the game better, strange but true.

zkylon

zkylewd

Graphics wise, I have no complaints, but it's almost unplayable with K&M, so I'd still call it a bad port. Seriously, I couldn't get past a fight in the game because of the shitty keyboard and mouse controls :p

Still, leaps and bounds of what Dark Souls promises to be...

_machine

Even though somebody would come along and mod the game, how would that work in an multiplayer environment?
I'm gonna go out on a limb that the game wont have mod support so it would probably work something like a hack instead of a mod, and in that case, wouldn't that consider "cheating"?

I'm not talking about cheating cheating, but rather that the servers would flag it as hacking and get you banned.
I mean, modders would most likely have to edit core files that would register as a hack/cheat.
It's impossible to say yet, but yes, if unlocking the resolution means hack that requires an outside dll or something like that then GFWL probably won't cooperate with it so multiplayer would be a no-go. But as I said, it's impossible to say yet if it's even possible to unlock the resolution at all.

aFIGurANT

Two decades.

The resolution being locked is bogus, not trying to deny that fact. I agree with that sentiment in all these posts that say I don't know what I'm entitled to etc., but my point is just that there are plenty of reasons to be excited for last year's GOTY of Forever actually getting a release for the pc - with extra goodies that were obviously NOT mailed in at all in the dlc, plus the intangibles of being able to access the damn thing without owning a console.

As someone who doesn't own a console anymore just like others out there in this thread and elsewhere, it's cool to know ill have DS in my steam library at this time next week, period.

Tess3ract

Banned
No, you are wrong.

EGO is based on Phyre.

Damn right!

We do not owe from soft ANYTHING, if they want our money they should do a good job and at least support the basics!
Not really, on lower end computer the game randomly goes between 60 and 20fps when you edit the ini, so capping it in an ini at 30 makes the game feel smoother.

Eusis

Got Darksiders II for PC and that game has even less options than Dark Souls PC. Fortunately, the game is nicely optimized, looks great, isn't framerate capped and renders at post-1996 resolutions.

If Dark Souls is anything like this (and it doesn't seem to be if previews are any indication), I'd be pretty satisfied.
Yeah, it's what the more sensible of us were mainly hoping for, just the same game running at a higher resolution and FPS, I wouldn't care if textures had to stay the same, or even if the UI were a bit blurry due to being stretched beyond its native resolution, which happens here anyway. Hell, I suspect most options desired are more about making the game friendlier with older computers, and some stuff can be forced on like AA and triple buffer v-sync anyway.

This game isn't really niche. If Day-Z (and Minecraft) can attract such a huge audience.. I don't think Dark Souls is niche at all, especially if they wake up the sleeping WOW crowd.

Shame they handled it in such an embarrassing and incompetent manner.

well I bought crysis 2 on pc and enjoyed it. There is zero fucking chance of me enjoying sub HD game upscaled to my monitors res of 2560x1600. So yeah it's not ok. Sales are being lost because of this so it's not ok for FROM either.

Roll 5-6 feet away from the screen. Problem solved.

Hypron

Greenmangaming support really takes ages to reply... I've emailed them 5 days ago regarding my Dark Souls pre-order and still haven't got a reply. Has anyone had experience buying a game listed as "NA edition" from them even though you don't actually live in North America? (when you click pre-order on their front page it just says "Dark souls prepare to die edition", without any mention of which edition it is, I only found out when I had already bought the game)

I live in New Zealand and would be pretty gutted it the key they'll send me is not going to work in my region.

omonimo

Banned
No, you are wrong.

EGO is based on Phyre.

Damn right!

The EGO wasn't based more on phyre just you can see from the better 360 version of codemaster's game... it wasn't even named Phyre at the time & the engine has been completely rewrite in favour of amd drivers & has abandoned its original roots of open gl libraries if I remember right..

TheD

The Detective
Not really, on lower end computer the game randomly goes between 60 and 20fps when you edit the ini, so capping it in an ini at 30 makes the game feel smoother.

Well they should have fixed that instead of limiting it to 30FPS.

The EGO wasn't based more on phyre just you can see from the better 360 version of codemaster's game... it wasn't even named Phyre at the time & the engine has been completely rewrite in favour of amd drivers & has abandoned its original roots of open gl libraries if I remember right..

No, it is based on Phyre.
Just because Sony had a hand in making it does not mean it would run better on the PS3, no one rewrites an engine for drivers and it has always had support for DX.

Any of that does not change the fact that Phyre supports any res you want it to and from soft is too lazy or stupid to implement the most basic of features.

Roll 5-6 feet away from the screen. Problem solved.

So 5-6 feet way from my PC desk, and 5 feet way from my keyboard and mouse.......
how 'bout NO! (anyone with normal vision could still see that it looks like crap anyway).

What about you stop being a self centered baby and grow up?

Just because you have very low standards and don't care , does not mean that others should go dumbster diving with you!

Top Bottom