• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First official screens for Matsuno's glorious entry into FFXIV - RETURN TO IVALICE

duckroll

2E5wtc9i35O-QDZ0fnctRhOZ34.jpg

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/patch/4_1

This morning, residents of Kugane woke to find above their city an airship unlike any ever seen. Yet while of Garlean design, the vessel distinctly lacked the bleak outfitting common in the Empire’s warmachina. No, this was the Prima Vista, private stage for the Majestic Imperial Theater Company─a troupe having won acclaim across Garlemald for their timeless work, “The Zodiac Brave Story.” Which begets the question...why are they here? The answer to that question and more lies in the selfsame legend of which they sing. The legend of Ivalice.

P88sZw7nthFIGMTFtQtP12XHiU.jpg

mLo9DVNsLJmU05aAafp0_r5gCU.jpg

vIKnFjTYE6ulDw07UzEZSITATE.jpg

Guess Who

Banned
My only hope is that I can appreciate what's going on even if I haven't played any of the previous Ivalice games. Crystal Tower in 2.x was fine, but so far Omega in 4.0 has felt like a lot of fanservice that fell flat for me for having not played FFV.

duckroll

My only hope is that I can appreciate what's going on even if I haven't played any of the previous Ivalice games. Crystal Tower in 2.x was fine, but so far Omega in 4.0 has felt like a lot of fanservice that fell flat for me for having not played FFV.

Matsuno isn't some shitty writer who only does fanservice, so you should be fine. He talked about how he plans on introducing the Ivalice concept into FFXIV earlier - the story of FFT will be the basis of a popular myth, and you will learn about it and get curious as to the truth behind it. As you uncover the truth behind the myth, the ties between FFT, FFXII, and FFXIV will naturally flow together. So yeah, like Crystal Tower.

DJIzana

The outfits on the blog (I can only assume that's the set you're trying to collect)... Missed opportunity if that's the case. Should be easy for something badass like judges gear.

Guess Who

Banned
The outfits on the blog (I can only assume that's the set you're trying to collect)... Missed opportunity if that's the case. Should be easy for something badass like judges gear.

The FFXII judges' gear was an extremely heavy influence already for a lot of the Garlean villains' armor.

duckroll

Those gear sets are not related to the Matsuno raid. They are just for the patch in general. There will likely be special Ivalice themed raid gear but the good stuff probably won't show up until the second and third installments of the raid next year.

DJIzana

The FFXII judges' gear was an extremely heavy influence already for a lot of the Garlean villains' armor.

Yeah. I guess it could conflict but I dunno. They have some pretty good plate designs. I just think it doesn't look impressive with what they went with. Maybe could've gone Rune Knight route?

Those gear sets are not related to the Matsuno raid. They are just for the patch in general. There will likely be special Ivalice themed raid gear but the good stuff probably won't show up until the second and third installments of the raid next year.

That's a relief then! The patch armor looks rather bland. Especially compared to how good everything else in the Ivalice raid looks in comparison haha.

Oh god. And I'm still stuck somewhere post main game and pre-Heavensward. I need to go back to 14 and grind though that shit fast, I fucking adore Ivalice.

Isotropy

So is the idea that an FFIX-esque theatre troupe is re-telling stories of Ivalice (perhaps a myth in XIV's world) and we the players are "acting" in those re-enactments? Like a fantasy type thing?

Because that would be such a perfect way to incorporate another FF's world into XIV!

EDIT: on closer inspection, Rabanastre appears to be in ruins. But would that suggest that it's literally *in* XIV's world? Because that would be super lame.

duckroll

So is the idea that an FFIX-esque theatre troupe is re-telling stories of Ivalice (perhaps a myth in XIV's world) and we the players are "acting" in those re-enactments? Like a fantasy type thing?

Because that would be such a perfect way to incorporate another FF's world into XIV!

EDIT: on closer inspection, Rabanastre appears to be in ruins. But would that suggest that it's literally *in* XIV's world? Because that would be super lame.

Rabanastre is in the FFXIV world. It's somewhere to the north of Doma. Damascus has been mentioned in the game before, especially in the JP script.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Dalmasca is in the XIV universe. It was already conquered by the Garleans. It's been referenced in the game several times, actually.

Dalmasca is in the XIV universe. It was already conquered by the Garleans. It's been referenced in the game several times, actually.

That and the fact that the Ivalice games never focused on world spanning adventures. Even with FFXII, all the conflict and adventuring in that game was focused on a few particular regions in a greater world (particularly Archadia, Dalmasca, Bhujerba and the Jagd area to the south). We are made aware of Rozarria, but it isn't part of the map we can explore (it is off-map). It would be like focusing in the Middle East in comparison to the rest of the world.

Looks nice. If it turns out great, it's the one thing that will get me to play XIV again. Just to experience it as I've been wanting to scratch that Matsuno itch for too long.

Lemme play as a Bangaa
I would totally pick any of Ivalice's races over the ones in FF14 now. :\

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ughhh i cant get sucked back into this wonderful game world again

fuck that FFIX reference ughhhh

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I have no idea where the Main Story is going after 4.0.

Really looking forward to all of this.

Asiratlan

After being on break most of the time while 4.0, I guess it's time to clean up the dust over my character and beat the crap down of everything over again :D

aceface

If you're talking about these:

They are the drops from the new dungeon, the Drowned city of Skalla. They haven't shown off the Ivalice gear yet as far as I know.

Reorx

isn't that Vaan on the artstyle?

also I thought the Prima Vista with the theater group was from FF IX, I'm confused ...

SkyOdin

Wait is this another expansion or an event?
It is the basis for the three-part 24-man raid series in the Stormblood expansion. Each raid in the set will have four or so boss battles and three or four smaller encounters. Of course, there will be a story to give context to the raid that will be elaborated on as each installment is added.

The 24-man raid for the 2.X patch cycle was themed around the Crystal Tower, and featured a lot of FFIII references. The raid for the 3.X cycle was more original, focusing on the lost civilization of Mhach and the ancient demon Diabolos.

We have good odds on seeing a bunch of the Lucavi/Scions from the Ivalice games show up as raid bosses in this new set of raids.

That looks really good. Damn I need to resub, it's been years since I've played. 😭 The game is really good and gets amazing support.

Top Bottom