• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sega master system appreciation thread of SegaScope 3D!

Dammit. I don't have the real estate to pull out the master system and find an outlet for it. Now I've got more work to do in the mancave, though I wonder....

I have the converter for the Genesis. If I can hook that into my multi-cartridge player I'll be golden.

SMD

^I had Game Gear Ninja Gaiden. How does the SMS one compare? I heard they're actually different games.

I think they're different, never played them but the differences are covered here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...=wbn5aDPK4o4&feature=player_detailpage#t=907s

They don't mention the Game Gear version but pretty much every one was done differently, you can see the first level of the GG one looks and sounds nothing like the Master System: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3DN6Ty6PVY

Can you imagine that today, buying the same game on different formats and having completely different levels?

IrishNinja

looking to see the price of Ninja Gaiden SMS (just missed some cheap ones the other day), i saw the unfinished beta of the Genesis one on the cheap...videos of it dont make it look promising though

looking to see the price of Ninja Gaiden SMS (just missed some cheap ones the other day), i saw the unfinished beta of the Genesis one on the cheap...videos of it dont make it look promising though

Yeah, don't bother with that one. Interesting they made it play more like the original arcade game, but it really is an unfinished mess.

stuminus3

Here's a story that'll make some of you sick. Back in the day I got a Master System with two regular controllers, the joystick controller, 3D glasses, light phaser gun and about 10 or so games - for a grand total of £15. It had belonged to one of my Dad's friend's brothers who was a serious alcoholic that desperately needed the cash. It didn't occur to me at the time how sad the whole story was, I was just thrilled to get all these awesome gaming goodies for practically nothing. I loved it dearly, but I eventually sold the whole lot in 1989 for about £200 and bought an Atari ST.

One thing I remember is that the Master System version of R-Type is the only version I've ever been able to 1CC.

Here's a story that'll make some of you sick. Back in the day I got a Master System with two regular controllers, the joystick controller, 3D glasses, light phaser gun and about 10 or so games - for a grand total of £15. It had belonged to one of my Dad's friend's brothers who was a serious alcoholic that desperately needed the cash. It didn't occur to me at the time how sad the whole story was, I was just thrilled to get all these awesome gaming goodies for practically nothing. I loved it dearly, but I eventually sold the whole lot in 1989 for about £200 and bought an Atari ST.

One thing I remember is that the Master System version of R-Type is the only version I've ever been able to 1CC.

I have a bizarre fondness for SMS R-Type. Fun fact, the SMS port was actually programmed by Compile of Aleste and Zanac fame!

IrishNinja

that doesn't surprise me, Compile does quality work...i should get that port one day.
didn't they also do Golvellius?

Shion

that doesn't surprise me, Compile does quality work...i should get that port one day.
didn't they also do Golvellius?

Yep.

They also did Power Strike 2 (aka one of the best shmups of the 8-bit era).

sxSeBje.png

Roq12

Neo Member
<3 The SMS was my first console, and the reason for me to get into gaming, game design school and now game development. I love it. Still got one, even though i never play on it.

SMD

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

IrishNinja

^that is a gorgeous collection, man

Yep.

They also did Power Strike 2 (aka one of the best shmups of the 8-bit era).

sxSeBje.png

DAMMIT
another one i wanna say i remember seeing in the quarterly-or-so Team Sega newsletter (so sad i lost most of those in a flood) and wanted to play, but was never sold near my place. i still blame you, Aztec fucking Adventure

Oemenia

Banned
I still dont get the love for Alex Kidd, its simply a game of trial and error.

I have a bizarre fondness for SMS R-Type. Fun fact, the SMS port was actually programmed by Compile of Aleste and Zanac fame!

Its a lot slower though so its not quite as fun. Its also hugely popular for some reason, probably in EU since the SMS did so well here. The system was really good for SHMUPs though, then again the NES probably had a better SHMUP library than the SNES.

ascii42

I was sick of losing auctions, so I went ahead and did a Buy It Now.

I got the system, 3D glasses, 2 controllers, light phaser, manuals, 10 games

Games are:

Hang on/ safari hunt (box, manual, game)
Thunder blade( box, manual, game)
Alien syndrome
Missile defense 3-D ( box, manual, game)
Blade eagle 3-D ( box, manual, game)
Zaxxon 3-D ( box, manual, game)
Global defense ( box, manual, game)
Chop lifter ( box, manual, game)
After burner
R type

for $115

IrishNinja

nice! you gotta get space harrier 3D now...actually i dont know if you gotta, i never got to play it but you totally should and let me know how it is!

also, europe apparently got their own Outrun 3D. how fair is that?!

ascii42

nice! you gotta get space harrier 3D now...actually i dont know if you gotta, i never got to play it but you totally should and let me know how it is!

Yeah, Space Harrier 3D sounds like it would be interesting. I already have it and Afterburner on 32x, but at least with Space Harrier, 3D would be something new.

ascii42

The 3D glasses only work on a crt i assume? :(

Generally, that's correct. I believe they use the nature of interlaced display to function (one eye gets even lines, other eye gets odd lines), so when an LCD display deinterlaces the video input, it'll merge the two parts together.

I've heard people say the 3D works fine on their HDTV, however. It might depend on the tech. I have a DLP TV, when I get my system I can try it out on that.

I regret to say while I do own a Master System, I dont have any games. I traded away quite a few games for the system and a ton of games, and I decided stupidly to get rid of them, Phantasy Star included :( I've considered getting them again, but I just don't want to be caught in the trap of buying MORE games I wont play.. but that copy of Power Strike at my store sure is tempting..

I've got all the 3D games, Space Harrier is great and I think it's different to the non 3D version, different enemies. Outrun 3D is the same, There's a cheat to play Outrun 3D in 2D mode if you don't have the glasses.

jay

I am an SMS pro, ask me anything.

Ys 1 has the best soundtrack on the SMS.
Fantasy Zone 2 is far better than the original.
Zillion 2 was a bizarre waste of the original game's concept.
Wonder Boy 3 has a much better soundtrack on SMS than PC Engine, of which, Sidecrawler's Dance is the best song.
Phantasy Star 1 is better than Phantasy Star 2.
Rescue Mission is a lot of fun, damn our fancy TVs.
Black Belt has really impressive one on one fights for its time.
Kung Fu Kid isn't near as bad as a lot of people seem to think.
Quartet is only two players.
If you angle yourself at a diagonal, you will not get hit in After Burner for the first dozen stages.
Captain Silver is bad, you've been lied to.
Golvellius is excellent and has very good music.
Miracle Warriors is far less excellent and has really good music.
Alex Kidd in Miracle World is an overrated piece of crap.
The seizure inducing stages from Thunder Blade are sort of fun.

OK, I'm spent.

320px-StheSegaMagazine_UK_01_cover.jpg

How about this? S the Sega Magazine we got in the UK. Dedicated to the Master System with really great cover art. So happy when I got these as it meant I was no longer buying blind and had really good player guides too. I have a full set and they are very treasured.

IrishNinja

What irks me is it's sitting there at $29, begging me to buy it, but something always gets traded in that I'm looking for. Last time it was Spike Mc Fang CIB

aw what? buy that shit and sell it to me on buy/sell, or ebay! you'd make a profit man

I've got all the 3D games, Space Harrier is great and I think it's different to the non 3D version, different enemies. Outrun 3D is the same, There's a cheat to play Outrun 3D in 2D mode if you don't have the glasses.

i thought you had to beat it to unlock 2D mode though, oddly?

Fantasy Zone 2 is far better than the original.

having just got Super Fantasy Zone in the mail, i am intrigued by your words...was trying to trade for it with a fellow gaffer, might have to track this down otherwise now

Zillion 2 was a bizarre waste of the original game's concept.

Zillion 1 came in the mail today, for like $5 woo hoo! i loved the crap out of this one, and yeah looking at YT im absolutely puzzled that they dropped the fun bits and just did that

Phantasy Star 1 is better than Phantasy Star 2.

YOU ARE A GODDAMN MANIAC JAY but i do wish to hear details here

Rescue Mission is a lot of fun, damn our fancy TVs.
Black Belt has really impressive one on one fights for its time.
Kung Fu Kid isn't near as bad as a lot of people seem to think.

never played any of these, damn

Alex Kidd in Miracle World is an overrated piece of crap.

it gets props for being pre sonic mascot, and i think it's alright (my hatred for its difficulty aside) but seeing comparisons to mario 3 are insane

The seizure inducing stages from Thunder Blade are sort of fun.

but impossible as they go too!

uhm...you can shoot the guy's hat in Gangster Town to continue

Rambo 3 is only doable with the kind've memorization you build as a kid with a free copy of it one boring summer

Aztec Adventure was that gen's Tail of the Sun

i will add more positive things later!

Oemenia

Banned
while this is true, its also fair for way too many of my favorite 8-bit titles
Well every game requires a little bit of failure but it seemed that playing that game you pretty much had to follow a path since it was brutally unforgiving. No way to kill your enemies unless you use a ring and a single touch means death. Its regarded a masterpiece of the 8-bit era.

Black belt was an amazing game. The boss that counters all your attacks had me stuck for AGES and the final fight after was flat out great.

Also QTEs to finish fights without the QTE bit!

fabprems

Another amazing game was the second Mickey Mouse game, Land of Illusion.

The grapics where beautiful and the gameplay was great

loi1.jpg
mqdefault.jpg

Such a beautiful and good game ! I remember the first time using the rope, and the battle with a boss made of cards :love:

This thread bring back so many memories, as the Master system II (with alex kidd inside) was my first console ever ! I had an original Master system few years later too...

My most played games must be :
Tennis Ace
1432341-tennis-ace-sega-master-system-0.jpg

teacms010.jpg

Wasn't even that good but I played with my older brother all the time

Aerial-Assault-MasterSystem-EUR.JPG

aerialAssault_00.jpg

Never finished it, the last boss was too damn hard..

When I was young, it seems that I had a lot of time on my hands, since I spend hours trying to find cheatcodes, shortcuts and hidden places in the few games I had. And I must say I still remember exactly these moments today :D
I found a kind of Konami code in the Jungle Book (during the "Virgin" screentitle, but I can't remember what it did...)
In Batman returns, in the first level
barems023_m.jpg

if you lose a life against this truck (I always thought it was a train ! Mind blown...), you can use you 5 seconds of invincibility to jump on the truck and walk on the roof of it, and it will take you to the middle of the last level directly if I remember correctly...
In Alex Kidd, in the last castle, I remember that I found a block (?) by punching a wall (on the right of the screen), but I can't remember what was the benefit of it :F

I don't know if these few tricks are well know, but now I remember that cheats were a big part of the fun I had with videogames when I was younger...

Well every game requires a little bit of failure but it seemed that playing that game you pretty much had to follow a path since it was brutally unforgiving. No way to kill your enemies unless you use a ring

Uh, except for punching them with the punch button.

The first boss in Alex Kidd is trial and error, sort of. None of the rest of it is, because of the easily-accessed Telepathy Ball right before you fight Scissors-Head.

It's a great game.

320px-StheSegaMagazine_UK_01_cover.jpg

How about this? S the Sega Magazine we got in the UK. Dedicated to the Master System with really great cover art. So happy when I got these as it meant I was no longer buying blind and had really good player guides too. I have a full set and they are very treasured.

I never had any of these but I have lots of Sega Power and all of Master Force, which I posted scans of on SMS-Power as "User of Illusion".

Wish I had scans of S.

JamboGT

Fantasy Zone 2, Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion were the first two cartridge games I got for my Master System as well as Hang on and Ghost House on the cards. Both Fantassy Zone 2 and Castle of Illusion still rank up there in my list of greats. Loved that console!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I was about to buy this game. It had a cool cover, and it was the most expensive Master System game in the shop. I never had the money, so I finally bought Wonder Boy :)

The cover art was definitely the best thing about the game :lol At least I didn't pay all that much for it, got it for cheap from a store that was closing down IIRC.

Trakdown

All it takes is someone to mention Alex Kidd and that first level theme is in my head. I just searched for it and found this, which made my day.

It still gets stuck in my family's head and I was the only one who played it.

Assault city looks awesome.

Great thread! Subscribed!

Maybe you can help me with some doubts guys.

First of all, I live in Brazil and the Master System was great here and was one of my late childhood memories. I really like the console and I am planning to start a MS game collection.

The problem here is that while MS was really well developed in my country, the early releases (which ate the ones in my memory) were published here by TecToy in not so great cardboxes. They are really dificult to find in average condition, and I really like my games pristine, with all the manuals, posters and inserts. Most of retro stuff being sold here are overpriced and in poor condition. Living in a tropical country means that paper usually get stained (fungus). If I find somwthing good it is always 10x more expensive than the same thing in US/Europe.

I thought to start buying gamws from US because our tvs support NTSC but not PAL-G but US did not get most of the Master System Games. So I started to look on the European releases.

My questions are:
1 - Can I play PAL games on a US console? I do not think MS is region protected, right?

2 - Will I face problems with the 50/60 Hz thing? Will any game run slower than it should be or whatever?

If I really need a PAL consolw to play the games due to 1 or 2 it will be difficult for me, since mw only tv that accepts PAL-G is an old LCD. It will probably scale the games like crap and I would prefer a CRT for old school gaming (I have one 29" for my Genesis/Saturn).

Any ideas?

Top Bottom