• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku(Jan23): Have official Orbis docs; Devkit: PS4- 8GBRAM,2.2GBVRAM, Controller

8GB memory probably DDR3 for the devkit - testing + debugging
2GB memory probably GDDR5 from the retail Southern Island GPU

256MB memory probably GDDR3 a relict from the PS3 and emulation purpose to ensure BC
Secret compute units are a mixture of Cell and/or RSX

Final design will be 4GB GDDR5 or DDR4 stacked at 192GB/s and a seperate 256MB onchip memory to have proper BC.

or Kotaku BS

Sounds good to me but it has to be XDR RAM not GDDR3

Elios83

These specs seem to point to a split memory architecture.
4GB DDR3 main RAM + 2 GB GDDR5 video memory for the final hardware.
Although the 4GB of total GDDR5 memory aren't necessarily excluded, afterall it's just a preliminary devkit.
At this point I'd wait for the Vgleaks article. About the controller, if they have to put a touch pad, put it on the front. The rear touch pad on the Vita hasn't worked really well so far.

8GB memory probably DDR3 for the devkit - testing + debugging
2GB memory probably GDDR5 from the retail Southern Island GPU

256MB memory probably GDDR3 a relict from the PS3 and emulation purpose to ensure BC
Secret compute units are a mixture of Cell and/or RSX

Final design will be 4GB GDDR5 or DDR4 stacked at 192GB/s and a seperate 256MB onchip memory to have proper BC.

or Kotaku BS

Wait... Are we suggesting PS4 might have full BC with PS3?

Holy f"#$%,

These specs are amazing.

0219_nnle.gif

LuuKyK

Wow, rumors overload. I cant even follow all this threads anymore. And its not like I understand this numbers and runes at all anyway. lol t_t I only hope its good in the end.

Wait... Are we suggesting PS4 might have full BC with PS3?

IF the ".2" is 256mb of ram, then yeah, it's very well possible. That "compute" module the VG Leaks rumor mentioned can mean it's a pack of SPE's that attatches to the Amd package. Having the 256mb of ram WITH the "special compute" module would be able to emulate the Cell that way.

That's assuming the compute module is what I think it is...

whats this talk about BC?

i would love to have proper BC on PS4... there's plenty of PS3 games i still want to play years from now, and my PS3 isn't gonna last forever :/

Wow, rumors overload. I cant even follow all this threads anymore. And its not like I understand this numbers and runes at all anyway. lol t_t I only hope its good in the end.

i know that feel
ing

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Whilst it may seem logical based on Vita's design that a touchpad would be on the back, the Kotaku article states that they don't know where it is on the controller.

onQ123

This also gave credit to the rumor new devkits with 8GB or 16GB of ram

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base

"Orbis, we were told today, is based on the AMD’s A10 APU series. An APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) is a combined CPU and GPU.

PS4′s APU was described today as a “derivative” of existing A10 hardware. The hardware is “based on A10 system and base platform”.

The “ultimate goal” for the hardware, we were told, is for it to be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D with “no problem,” to create a machine that’s powerful enough for “today and tomorrow’s market”.

The dev kits have “either 8Gb or 16Gb of RAM. Deduce from that what you will.” "

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

IF the ".2" is 256mb of ram, then yeah, it's very well possible. That "compute" module the VG Leaks rumor mentioned can mean it's a pack of SPE's that attatches to the Amd package. Having the 256mb of ram WITH the "special compute" module would be able to emulate the Cell that way.

That's assuming the compute module is what I think it is...

How much would it basically bumb the cost of the package? And are the extra memory and SPEs usable on PS4 games to do some extra work or are they pretty much idle? Or OS work?

How much would it basically bumb the cost of the package? And are the extra memory and SPEs usable on PS4 games to do some extra work or are they pretty much idle? Or OS work?
If the Cell makes a comeback it could be the rumoured compute unit and indeed be fully useable by the PS4.

Cost would go up but the whole going "retail" AMD hardware might help.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
This is a quick photoshop I worked up that could make sense. Removing the start and select buttons, moving the PS button down and smoothing over the bevelled edge between the edge of the controller and the center would give plenty of room for a touchscreen without being gimmicky.
QLXXD4G.jpg

The start and select buttons are somewhat irrelevant. Anymore the select button is just used as another face button, and the functionality of the start button could be folded into the PS button. One button press pauses the game, and a double tap of the PS button could bring up OS features. For backwards compatibility, the left side of the touch panel would be the select button, and the right side would be start.

yurinka

I'd say that 8GB may match with the 4GB info, if this is dev specs and the 4GB are final specs. As I know devkits use to had more the RAM than normal SKUs due to run debug tools + unoptimized code.
Regarding 2.2VRAM, I bet it's 2GB for the dedicated GPU, plus 256MB for the GPU part of the APU (for OS, Eyetoy, streaming etc) or EDRAM.
The controller will feature an RGB light. Does it means that DS4 = Move 2?
Regarding the touchpad, if they are going to do it why not to put a Vita inside the pad as if it was a giant VMU?
I'd like to see the 90 pages pdf btw

No idea on costs. I suspect the compute module is the "cell-like" packages that Sony patented in 2010. They "plug" into any x86 or PPC. They can either stack on top, or TSV the 256mb of memory to achieve the speeds that XDR had.

Doing this will allow for not only BC, but yes, processing for PS4 games. I honestly expect it to be used for things like post processing, anti aliasing, DSP (sound processing) and other PS4 media related functions.

I may have drank too much of the Jeff Rigby Koolaid, but that is the ONLY thing that makes sense to me...

We have a rumor of an extra unkown "compute module" + ".2"gigs of ram... add those two together and you get BC and extra PS4 horsepower.

This is a quick photoshop I worked up that could make sense. Removing the start and select buttons, moving the PS button down and smoothing over the bevelled edge between the edge of the controller and the center would give plenty of room for a touchscreen without being gimmicky.
QLXXD4G.jpg

The start and select buttons are somewhat irrelevant. Anymore the select button is just used as another face button, and the functionality of the start button could be folded into the PS button. One button press pauses the game, and a double tap of the PS button could bring up OS features. For backwards compatibility, the left side of the touch panel would be the select button, and the right side would be start.

start and select are still relevant because ps1, ps2, and ps3 games require them during gameplay. if sony wants to continue to sell them via the store they have to be there.

since the touchpad is rumored to be clickable, I can see getting rid of the PS button, (it has no gameplay use) and having the click pad take over that functionality, while keeping start and select.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
start and select are still relevant because ps1, ps2, and ps3 games require them during gameplay. if sony wants to continue to sell them via the store they have to be there.

since the touchpad is rumored to be clickable, I can see getting rid of the PS button, (it has no gameplay use) and having the click pad take over that functionality, while keeping start and select.

Like I said at the end of my post, they could be easily emulated by touching the left side of the pad for select, and the right side for start. In any case, I was just playing around during some downtime at work. I imagine I'm nowhere near what the Orbis controller will look like. I was just thinking of easy ways to get a nice flat touchpad on a familiar form factor without sacrificing much.

I don't own a Vita, what's the problem with it's touchpad, just that it's to big and gets touched accidentally? Or are there other issues as well?

Krilekk

Banned
All I've heard so far about Orbis sounds like total BS considering Sony's financial situation. Unless they want to just repeat all the mistakes that cost them this generation and start at $599. It just doesn't make any sense at all. Even if they would release a system that's almost 50 % more powerful on paper than Durango (and we know how it turned out with the more powerful PS3 against 360) all the games will be developed with Durango in mind. Especially if that console is $300 cheaper at launch.

So what do I make of all those rumours? Nothing but the current version of those infamous render trailers that Sony put up against Microsoft at E3 05. They are teasing a more powerful PS4 and in the end both systems will be on par. There's a reason why Sony says they will wait for the competition to put their cards on the table. So they can scale back their setup to what is necessary instead of going all in with an expensive console.

Sony has Gaikai. It doesn't make sense to put powerful tech in a box when it will be made redundant during its life cycle. Sony and Microsoft will want to be profitable from day 1 with their new consoles. Don't expect miracles.

B.O.O.M

No idea on costs. I suspect the compute module is the "cell-like" packages that Sony patented in 2010. They "plug" into any x86 or PPC. They can either stack on top, or TSV the 256mb of memory to achieve the speeds that XDR had.

Doing this will allow for not only BC, but yes, processing for PS4 games. I honestly expect it to be used for things like post processing, anti aliasing, DSP (sound processing) and other PS4 media related functions.

I may have drank too much of the Jeff Rigby Koolaid, but that is the ONLY thing that makes sense to me...

We have a rumor of an extra unkown "compute module" + ".2"gigs of ram... add those two together and you get BC and extra PS4 horsepower.

damn, that sounds too good to be true

Could be - a good idea especially because the SpursEngine features (256MB?) dedicated XDR Ram...

Their patent doesn't include the ram, I don't think... let me find it.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20100312969.pdf
Seems to use shared memory.

Here is Toshiba's presentation on SpursEngine, but I expect Sony to use their design to not have to use XDR.
http://sti.cc.gatech.edu/Slides2008/Maeda-080711.pdf

damn, that sounds too good to be true

It really does, but I like to think Sony isn't completely brain dead.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
These specs seem to point to a split memory architecture.
4GB DDR3 main RAM + 2 GB GDDR5 video memory for the final hardware.
Although the 4GB of total GDDR5 memory aren't necessarily excluded, afterall it's just a preliminary devkit.

No no no. It is a dev kit, a early one. What else can they cheaply put together, every PC worth while for games has dedicated VRAM. The final dev kit will be based on the final hardware, which doesn't exist yet. Early PS3 dev kits reportedly had 6800s in SLI.

B.O.O.M

Their patent doesn't include the ram, I don't think... let me find it.

It really does, but I like to think Sony isn't completely brain dead.

I have made up my mind about not having BC for PS4, so I won't be disappointed if they don't have it for real. BUT if they do this and actually get BC, I would be over the moon.

Now THIS could be a real awesome wizard's jizz lol

No no no. It is a dev kit, a early one. What else can they cheaply put together, every PC worth while for games has dedicated VRAM. The final dev kit will be based on the final hardware, which doesn't exist yet. Early PS3 dev kits reportedly had 6800s in SLI.

Yeah, you can't really buy GDDR5 RAM chips for the desktop...

Jack_AG

Banned
I'm of the mind that BC is a must due to PSN content. I would sob like a child if my PSN content didn't carry over and i'm sure the hardcore dedicated would take up pitchforks.

There's too much to lose with digital content to not contain BC.

I'm of the mind that BC is a must due to PSN content. I would sob like a child if my PSN content didn't carry over and i'm sure the hardcore dedicated would take up pitchforks.

There's too much to lose with digital content to not contain BC.

I agree, and I'm sure Sony realizes that. The question is, is it worth it, cost wise, to put BC in, so people can still buy the lineup of games that are already on PSN? I think the answer is yes.

By the time PS5 comes around, PS3 BC wouldn't be an issue, if they even really needed it.

Skilletor

I don't understand why you'd feel strongly about it. At worst it is meh... I don't think it breaks the system

Because any game that uses it has me accidentally triggering the pad. I hate it and any game with it is worse off for it. The only reason it doesn't break the system is because most of the games I play don't use it or make it optional.

Having any kind of touch pad will make devs feel forced to shoe-horn in mechanics that use it. That's bad for me. I don't want that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Controller details are interesting and doesn't sound like it'll be crazy expensive like it would with a screen.

paskowitz

I agree, and I'm sure Sony realizes that. The question is, is it worth it, cost wise, to put BC in, so people can still buy the lineup of games that are already on PSN? I think the answer is yes.

By the time PS5 comes around, PS3 BC wouldn't be an issue, if they even really needed it.

They could just have a BC and non BC model?

Top Bottom