• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X900E settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Alebelly

Terribly so far as my efforts to create custom resolutions have failed for tonight. Keep in mind however that despite possessing a degree in compsci I am still somehow a huge idiot and routinely fail to accomplish basic things.

Ive messed with custom resolutions quite a bit and have had success. What exactly are you trying to do and with what?

Ive messed with custom resolutions quite a bit and have had success. What exactly are you trying to do and with what?

Already solved it, as above. My cable wasn't high speed, so setting the input to Enhanced HDMI Format (which is required to get CRU custom resolutions to work properly) caused major visual errors which were unacceptable.

I have now replaced the cable with a high speed one and it works correctly on Enhanced Format and therefore the CRU stuff can be made operational without constant flickering and blanking of the screen.

Defunkled

Any owners of this TV have experience using a Framemeister on it? I already own this TV and I'm looking to dive into the world of upscalers pretty soon. How's the input lag? Does the TV struggle with the 1080p image sent by the Framemeister?

Got this TV yesterday, booted up Horizon on my PS4 pro, flipped on hdr, and...I do not see a difference. Only if I max out the color to the point where the sdr image is saturated and looks disgusting do I see that turning on hdr actually makes the image more bland (and thus palatable to look at). But on normal settings I literally can't tell a difference on or off. Same for FFXV, the only other game I tested it with.

That doesn't seem right. I kept hearing about what a dramatic difference hdr makes. I've been scouring for info on what might be the issue...made sure that enhanced hdmi is turned on and I'm plugged into the second hdmi port. I ordered a new cable in case that's the issue, but if it were then I would have expected the console to detect and warn me that hdr couldn't be displayed.

Anybody else experienced this? Maybe something else I'm missing or doing wrong?

Klotera

Got this TV yesterday, booted up Horizon on my PS4 pro, flipped on hdr, and...I do not see a difference. Only if I max out the color to the point where the sdr image is saturated and looks disgusting do I see that turning on hdr actually makes the image more bland (and thus palatable to look at). But on normal settings I literally can't tell a difference on or off. Same for FFXV, the only other game I tested it with.

That doesn't seem right. I kept hearing about what a dramatic difference hdr makes. I've been scouring for info on what might be the issue...made sure that enhanced hdmi is turned on and I'm plugged into the second hdmi port. I ordered a new cable in case that's the issue, but if it were then I would have expected the console to detect and warn me that hdr couldn't be displayed.

Personally I see a big difference. However, I'll note that you'll see less of a difference by turning it off on this TV versus actually looking at it on an SDR TV, especially if you have extended dynamic range on in SDR mode. Sony's HDR remastering and extended dynamic range do a good job of improving SDR content.

BR4DOKYBrazil

Neo Member
I was addicted to using the advanced contrast enhancer in High, but I'm trying to get to not using it. I'm using the original Game Mode setting on the TV. It is very close to what many sites indicate, is not it?

Does the advanced contrast enhancer spoil the image so much? Sometimes I feel that the image is lifeless without it activated.

TheBoss1

I was addicted to using the advanced contrast enhancer in High, but I'm trying to get to not using it. I'm using the original Game Mode setting on the TV. It is very close to what many sites indicate, is not it?

Does the advanced contrast enhancer spoil the image so much? Sometimes I feel that the image is lifeless without it activated.

That setting just makes bright elements appear brighter but it will be inaccurate and will sometimes crush whites. It will make the image pop more but you're better off adjusting the contrast slider if you want brighter whites. It will still crush the whites though.

BR4DOKYBrazil

Neo Member
That setting just makes bright elements appear brighter but it will be inaccurate and will sometimes crush whites. It will make the image pop more but you're better off adjusting the contrast slider if you want brighter whites. It will still crush the whites though.

Thank you very much! Which config are you using for games? Can you tell me if Sony's standard for Game Mode is ideal? It is very close to the configs that specialized sites are determining.

TheBoss1

Thank you very much! Which config are you using for games? Can you tell me if Sony's standard for Game Mode is ideal? It is very close to the configs that specialized sites are determining.

I have a slightly older Sony TV but the settings I've seen used over the years seem to be similar in regards to basic calibration. So yes, game mode will most likely have off all the post-processing effects and the default values for black level, contrast, and others should be fine.

The only setting that might need to change is the color temperature. Expert 1 is supposed to be the most accurate setting but if you're used to cool or neutral, it will be jarring for a few days. It will appear to have a yellow tint when watching bright whites but if you stick with it your eyes should get adjusted within a few days.

Make sure to turn on Auto Local Dimming so you can get deeper blacks and a better overall contrast. Just like the brightness setting, you can adjust this to your liking. High will give you the best contrast but this aggressive setting will cause blooming on dark scenes. I'd still use high though.

IPS trash

Every time I bring this up in the X800D thread, the defense force appears.

Mindman

Anyone had any luck getting the Dreamcast to work with this TV? I'm using a VGA cable and VGA to HDMI adapter, but get no picture. It works fine on another TV in the house. I'm using the "non-enhanced" HDMI ports, 1 and 4, but also tried 2 & 3... no dice.

BR4DOKYBrazil

Neo Member
I have a slightly older Sony TV but the settings I've seen used over the years seem to be similar in regards to basic calibration. So yes, game mode will most likely have off all the post-processing effects and the default values for black level, contrast, and others should be fine.

The only setting that might need to change is the color temperature. Expert 1 is supposed to be the most accurate setting but if you're used to cool or neutral, it will be jarring for a few days. It will appear to have a yellow tint when watching bright whites but if you stick with it your eyes should get adjusted within a few days.

Make sure to turn on Auto Local Dimming so you can get deeper blacks and a better overall contrast. Just like the brightness setting, you can adjust this to your liking. High will give you the best contrast but this aggressive setting will cause blooming on dark scenes. I'd still use high though.

Every time I bring this up in the X800D thread, the defense force appears.

Tks, The Boss! The Sony Game Mode standard has 25 backlight in SDR and Max in HDR. Contrast at 90. Black Level at 50. Black Adjust off. Advanced Contrast Enhancer Off. Local Dimming in Medium. X-Tended Range in Medium in SDR and High in HDR. Color Temperature in Advanced 1. Sharpness in 50. Reality Creation in Manual and 10.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.

Did you turn on enhanced hdmi on hdmi 2 and 3?

Nevermind - I see you did.

chaos789

Banned
How does PS3 and WiiU games look on the X900E? I am in the market for a new tv , but want something I can hook any of my older systems up too and the games will look great or good, not just games on my PS4 Pro. Trying to figure out if upgrading to a 4k HDR set has the same effect on older gaming systems that upgrading to a 1080p HD set did to PS2 games. I recall having to still play PS2 games on my CRT due to them looking off on my first HDTV set I got many years ago.

see5harp

Buying this from Frys this weekend. They got a "we pay the sales tax" promo going on and somehow this TV is included, which makes it cheaper than even Amazon or Best Boy.

TheBoss1

Tks, The Boss! The Sony Game Mode standard has 25 backlight in SDR and Max in HDR. Contrast at 90. Black Level at 50. Black Adjust off. Advanced Contrast Enhancer Off. Local Dimming in Medium. X-Tended Range in Medium in SDR and High in HDR. Color Temperature in Advanced 1. Sharpness in 50. Reality Creation in Manual and 10.

I've never seen Advanced 1 for color temp? Either way, Expert 1 is the way to go.

I would turn off Reality Creation. Also, since you've been wanting "life" in your picture, turn up the local dimming to high in SDR mode as well. The other settings I would leave as they are.

TheBoss1

Try Warm instead of Expert 1. Expert 1 makes everything too yellow.

Like I said, it will look like that at first. I would try it for at least a week and if it really bothers him then he can change it to whatever he likes. Expert 1 is closer to industry standard than any other setting so I just wanted to point that out to him.

I've used neutral and cool for most of my life but now that I've adjusted to Expert 1, anything below it looks too blue.

BR4DOKYBrazil

Neo Member
I've never seen Advanced 1 for color temp? Either way, Expert 1 is the way to go.

I would turn off Reality Creation. Also, since you've been wanting "life" in your picture, turn up the local dimming to high in SDR mode as well. The other settings I would leave as they are.

My TV is in Brazilian Portuguese and here it is as Advanced 1. It sure is the same as Expert 1. I think they changed the name in the newer model.

Try Warm instead of Expert 1. Expert 1 makes everything too yellow.

I thought about doing this, but wanted to get as close to 6,500k, that is, the ideal. As I was accustomed to using cool color temperature, it took me a little longer to get accustomed to the warmer tone.

Like I said, it will look like that at first. I would try it for at least a week and if it really bothers him then he can change it to whatever he likes. Expert 1 is closer to industry standard than any other setting so I just wanted to point that out to him.

I've used neutral and cool for most of my life but now that I've adjusted to Expert 1, anything below it looks too blue.

The closest to 6.500k is the Expert / Advanced 1 really?

TheBoss1

Do you think it would be nice to switch Local Dimming Medium to High? I did not notice great differences.

Yeah it should help with contrast, which helps the image pop more. What method did you try using to see differences? Like a paused scene or were you just toggling the setting while there was content playing?

Did you enable enhanced hdmi on the input? If you can't see a difference you've done something wrong.

BR4DOKYBrazil

Neo Member
Yeah it should help with contrast, which helps the image pop more. What method did you try using to see differences? Like a paused scene or were you just toggling the setting while there was content playing?

In both situations. I put the Forza Horizon 3, I left the car stopped in a forest where it had shadows and bright scenes and I was changing between High and Medium. Then I put Hellblade, which has plenty of dark and bright scenes at the same time and I was changing between High and Medium. On screens of loadings like Uncharted 4 I tested it too.

In Forza Horizon 3 I noticed that putting in High the clouds stay more bright than in Medium.

TheBoss1

In both situations. I put the Forza Horizon 3, I left the car stopped in a forest where it had shadows and bright scenes and I was changing between High and Medium. Then I put Hellblade, which has plenty of dark and bright scenes at the same time and I was changing between High and Medium. On screens of loadings like Uncharted 4 I tested it too.

In Forza Horizon 3 I noticed that putting in High the clouds stay more bright than in Medium.

You can also brighten the image to see brighter elements even more, but it should be lower at night so your eyeballs doesn't bleed and it will also raise black levels the higher you go.

psychotron

I have the 65" arriving this Thursday. I'm pretty excited. My Panny ST50 Plasma had 40ms of lag in game mode, so this should actually feel better.

What's the proper setup for this TV, the Sony HT-NT5 soundbar, and a PS4 Pro as far as getting the sound to come from the soundbar? I'm assuming HDMI from the PS4 to the soundbar and HDMI from the soundbar to the TV?

I'm planning to pick all three up in the next day or two and want to jump right in.

canocha

What's the proper setup for this TV, the Sony HT-NT5 soundbar, and a PS4 Pro as far as getting the sound to come from the soundbar? I'm assuming HDMI from the PS4 to the soundbar and HDMI from the soundbar to the TV?

I'm planning to pick all three up in the next day or two and want to jump right in.

This sounds about right.

I have a Yamaha YAS-207, but instead of connecting a PS4 (because i don't have one yet), i connect my bluray player and the soundbar is connected via HDMI ARC to the TV.

noomi

The 65X900E is on sale this week for $1800 at Best Buy/Amazon this week. This is the lowest I have seen it.

Woohoo! Glad I saw this comment, I bought the 900e from BB last month and was able to get them to price match the difference to what I paid. Sweet!

Love this TV!

kriskrosbbk

Thanks Klotera! It worked.

I have another question if anyone knows or have the same issue.
My TV is a week old now and since Monday I started getting a strange error notification as follows: "HueyModule has stopped working" .When I click OK it closes and I dont see any issues with the TV however this is popping up at least once per day. Any idea? I have PLEX,Spotify and KODI installed if that helps.
Google doesnt help much also.

Klotera

I wish I had known this sooner.

Are there other useful remote commands like this you know of?

That's the main one I know of. Necessary for me because I use Playstation Vue and there's no real "exit" button for it. It'll even play behind the homescreen. So, to save data/bandwidth when I'm done watching, I'll kill it.

Anybody playing COD beta? Turning felt a bit heavy to me. Concerned about input lag. I could be wrong though.

Haven't played COD specifically. However, it's probably just the game itself, if you haven't noticed it in any other games. I've played Wipeout Omega Collection without issue, and that would be a game pretty affected by input lag, especially at higher speed classes.

Honestly, I think very few people are sensitive to this level of input lag. While it's good to have all the information to make an informed decision, seeing the numbers can get into people's head. Anything less than 40ms is generally considered good, but 31ms looks bad on paper when you see it next to 20. I guess ignorance is bliss sometimes.

kurahadol

Just ordered this TV today. Very excited. I'm absolutely awful at setting up my own settings though (always tend to second guess myself); which setup would most people suggest, the AVS, Rtings, or another?

Mainly going to be using this as a PS4 Pro/Movie/Hockey TV.

Just ordered this TV today. Very excited. I'm absolutely awful at setting up my own settings though (always tend to second guess myself); which setup would most people suggest, the AVS, Rtings, or another?

Mainly going to be using this as a PS4 Pro/Movie/Hockey TV.
Don't calibrate colours. The rtings general settings are fine, but watch the HDTVTest video about x900e settings to understand what you're even doing

Use the expert1 colour setting. It's amazing.

psychotron

So I decided to put this tv directly up against my Panasonic ST50, which is calibrated using settings from the awesome D-Nice. I put on a few different games, including Uncharted: Lost Legacy, and expected differences to be negligible. Yeah, it's night and day. The 4K HDR presentation makes my ST50 look like dog shit. I've previously compared it to a Vizio M-Series (2015) and it was comparable.

So I'm keeping the 900e because I simply can't give up the detail of 4K and the incredible lighting of HDR. Believe the hype people!

Greenymac

Was hoping to pick this up from Best Buy today ahead of football season, but my local store has none in stock. The best I can do is order it for delivery Wednesday. Feels odd to have something that big and fragile delivered. Nervous as shit!

LegendX48

Was hoping to pick this up from Best Buy today ahead of football season, but my local store has none in stock. The best I can do is order it for delivery Wednesday. Feels odd to have something that big and fragile delivered. Nervous as shit!

I can get that, especially since my first 49" set developed an odd defect a day after delivery but I figure all TVs get delivered to stores in more or less the same manner they are to home.

edit: you can always exchange in store if something goes awry.

DieH@rd

Banned
Does anyone have impressions of the built-in USV DVR in X90E/XE9005? Is the video quality good, can it record in native res [or at least 1080] & 60fps with good bitrate, and can the videos be extracted to the PC?

Essentially, can it record in better quality than built-in DVR of PS4 Pro, and can those videos be copied?

I don't have a spare 18gbps cable to test, but the HDMI2 port seems to be resulting in intermittent signal drop. Has anybody had that happen other than me on one of their ports, whether on this TV or others? Basically the signal from my PC occasionally drops for about half a second then the TV picks it up again. It hasn't happened since I switched to HDMI3/ARC.

Additionally, does anybody else notice that the top right and top left corners are occasionally slightly dimmer/duller than everything else? I notice it a lot with web browser usage, and I wasn't sure if that was specific to my TV or whether it's the nature of the local dimming.

Top Bottom