• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT2| NHL ratings up 50%; GAF ratings down 90%

7 years I believe.

Jesus Christ is this shit drags out for 7 more years. I cant see how the BoG would even be okay with that. It looks terrible for the league to have the national sports shows making jokes about how the Yotes cant draw in the regular season. I really wish Bettmann would just admit it was a mistake and let the team go somewhere that it would flourish.

so... this did not happen. There were a shit ton of Flyers fans there though. All disappointed

I thought that they came out with good jump and effort, but once they gave up the pp goal they looked shell shocked. Last round when the Pens would score it woudlnt phase them in the least, now every Devils goal totally deflates them. If they would just match the Devils in shots they would be fine.

Marvie_3

Banned
Jesus Christ is this shit drags out for 7 more years. I cant see how the BoG would even be okay with that. It looks terrible for the league to have the national sports shows making jokes about how the Yotes cant draw in the regular season. I really wish Bettmann would just admit it was a mistake and let the team go somewhere that it would flourish.

You're assuming Jamison would keep the team for 7 years. If he bails and no owner is found to keep the team in Phoenix(sounds familiar), then someone can step in, buy them, and move them.

So a year or 2 from now the league will likely be in the exact same spot? I wish they could just end this already. Find someone that will defnitely keep the team there and try to build a following, or move the team where they know there will be a huge following.

gcubed

I thought that they came out with good jump and effort, but once they gave up the pp goal they looked shell shocked. Last round when the Pens would score it woudlnt phase them in the least, now every Devils goal totally deflates them. If they would just match the Devils in shots they would be fine.

They had a smidgen of jump after that power play goal. They still only ever made it into the zone, made one play, and were out of the zone. They can't sustain pressure, they can't accept passes cleanly and they are getting outworked on every battle against the boards (seriously, there was one play where there were 2 flyers players on 1 devils player and the devils player SKATED away with the puck). Its tough to watch the lack of effort game in and game out. That game was like Game 2(i think?) where the only reason they even had a chance was because of Bryz.

I would like to volunteer my services to the Flyers. Once they lose the series I will gladly drive Matt Carle wherever he needs to go... away from this team.

Yeah they are getting crushed in the effort department. I bet the Pens are kicking them selves big time for not trying to dump the puck in and forecheck the Flyers. Even when the Flyers get the puck in their own zone, they look so nervous with it and they try to make these blind outlet passes which lead to turnovers like 99% of the time. Energy and Efort are fixable problems at least.

hubes

They had a smidgen of jump after that power play goal. They still only ever made it into the zone, made one play, and were out of the zone. They can't sustain pressure, they can't accept passes cleanly and they are getting outworked on every battle against the boards (seriously, there was one play where there were 2 flyers players on 1 devils player and the devils player SKATED away with the puck). Its tough to watch the lack of effort game in and game out. That game was like Game 2(i think?) where the only reason they even had a chance was because of Bryz.

I would like to volunteer my services to the Flyers. Once they lose the series I will gladly drive Matt Carle wherever he needs to go... away from this team.

well if you live in the philadelphia area i don't think you're gonna have to drive far. from everything i've heard about how much the flyers love carle and really want him back, theres probably a 90% chance he's back next year.

gcubed

well if you live in the philadelphia area i don't think you're gonna have to drive far. from everything i've heard about how much the flyers love carle and really want him back, theres probably a 90% chance he's back next year.

i'll volunteer to drive him off a cliff.

I dont see them re-signing him with the new Grossman deal

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
phoenix deal is tentative... meaning... it allows NHL to blame someone if they move

but glendale has shown their stupidity is epic so it may still happen

Marvie_3

Banned
So a year or 2 from now the league will likely be in the exact same spot? I wish they could just end this already. Find someone that will defnitely keep the team there and try to build a following, or move the team where they know there will be a huge following.
Pretty much. The team hasn't come anywhere close to turning a profit in any year since the move to Phoenix. Nobody wants to sit there year after year and bleed money.
phoenix deal is tentative... meaning... it allows NHL to blame someone if they move

but glendale has shown their stupidity is epic so it may still happen

Exactly.

Oh, so the reason Giroux got so angry was because Brodeur clearly played the puck outside the trapezoid but the refs let it go as a birthday present for Marty.

Taking that frustration out on Zubrus was really dumb.

Did he actually say that in an interview or something? Dude is an even bigger moron if that's his reaction to no penalty outside of the trapezoid.

t0mp

That's just passion, man. He's a fiery leader. It shows how much he cares and how dedicated he is to winning.

I know you're just joking/trolling/whatever the fuck people call it anymore, but do I really need to remind you of Neal? it was just 2 weeks ago..

It's embarrassing, and no one on the flyers or flyers fans encourage such behavior.

I'm in favor of a suspension. Compared to the other suspensions, 1 is on par. If it's anymore then all I can do is smh

and fuck, maybe it'll get the flyers to play with an edge.. Simmonds needs to park himself in front of the net and create havoc (which I haven't seen yet...)

Last night, it was nice to see some fire under some of them (obv not the giroux hit) but they need to fucking come out like it was against the pens. They need to hate this team and show no mercy - on the scoreboard at least.

As good as the devils have been, Marty isn't that good anymore. The devils gameplan/style is so effective right now it's unbelievable that lavy hasn't sat the team down to watch gameplay all night and come out as a whole new team. Instead, he gives them days off and doesn't adapt.

It's hard to hate this devils team. Marty is the only one I hate, everyone else is full of heart and grit and gets shit done. So simple, so effective.

Curufinwe

Did he actually say that in an interview or something? Dude is an even bigger moron if that's his reaction to no penalty outside of the trapezoid.

No, I saw Keith Jones break it down on the NBC highlights this morning. He was obviously enraged by the refs swallowing their whistles, so he put himself above the team and conceded a penalty while attempting to injure the other team's player. It was disgraceful.

Assuming Zubrus is fine then 1 game ban would be fair, if you ignore the ludicrously light treatment that repeat offender Neal got because Shanahan actually believed his nonsense story about why he jumped into Couturier. If Giroux can lie well enough then he might get away with just a fine.

Curufinwe

It's hard to hate this devils team. Marty is the only one I hate, everyone else is full of heart and grit and gets shit done. So simple, so effective.

I think when Brodeur and JVR shake hands Marty will dive to the ice and appeal for another interference penalty.

Really am loving Richards and Carter moving to the next round and the flyers still sucking ass. If the Devils don't win, I hope its LA just for the laughs.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL at the Coyotes news.

That guy must be the worst businessman ever.

Donald Fehr needs to fight against this in the new CBA negotiations. I want the Nordiques, the Toronto Toos, Seattle Totems and the Halifax Sundaes damn it.

Alucard

Banned
Lulz Neal, Asham, Adams, Orpik etc

I'm not defending their actions, nor did I when they went nuts in round 1. What Asham did was embarrassing, and Neal's hits were equally frustrating to watch as a Pens fan. However, what we're talking about now is Giroux. He's a great player, but I think it's become more and more apparent that the guy also has a bit of a short fuse, and doesn't take well to losing. He definitely deserves at least a game.

Alucard

Banned
Really am loving Richards and Carter moving to the next round and the flyers still sucking ass. If the Devils don't win, I hope its LA just for the laughs.

LA is basically the only team left I'd actually like to see hoist the Cup, outside of Nashville, and maybe the Devils.

fallout

I'm not defending their actions, nor did I when they went nuts in round 1. What Asham did was embarrassing, and Neal's hits were equally frustrating to watch as a Pens fan. However, what we're talking about now is Giroux. He's a great player, but I think it's become more and more apparent that the guy also has a bit of a short fuse, and doesn't take well to losing. He definitely deserves at least a game.
Why couldn't you have just said this in the first place, instead of acting like people are excusing Giroux's hit?

Curufinwe

Why couldn't you have just said this in the first place, instead of acting like people are excusing Giroux's hit?

Must still be salty from Giroux's other notable hit in this year's playoffs.

giroux.gif

Man, things sure seemed a lot rosier for the Flyers two weeks ago.

BUT SHEA WEBER ONLY GOT...

Not sure if you're making a joke or not, but what you didn't finish saying is why I'm actually pissed off.
There IS a double standard, so why doesn't it apply to Giroux?
Not saying he shouldn't be suspended, but based on the precedent set by not setting a precedent(with the Weber incident and others) he should only be fined.

Rulings have been inconsistent (Weber's being the most egregious, Neal walking out w/ one game given his prior and two incidents in one game...ugh,) but he made a dumb play and should face an actual consequence over a fine.

Hopefully the team'll use this as a wakeup call they've needed to actually show up when they hit the ice.

Neal got suspended for one elimination game, so the precedent is there (though you could argue that Giroux is a bigger star than Neal).

EDIT: forgot Neal is a repeat offender and Giroux has no history. The NHL is consistent in its inconsistency?

gcubed

Neal got suspended for one elimination game, so the precedent is there (though you could argue that Giroux is a bigger star than Neal).

EDIT: forgot Neal is a repeat offender and Giroux has no history. The NHL is consistent in its inconsistency?

Apparently Giroux's excuse wasn't as rock solid as Neals.

I have no problem with the suspension, the only problem i have is with the inconsistency. Neal's half game per hit still pisses me off.

gcubed

Can we work as a group to eliminate automatic penalties for clearing the puck into the stands?

NHL-GAF needs to stand together on this one, its an absolutely ridiculous rule

t0mp

Can we work as a group to eliminate automatic penalties for clearing the puck into the stands?

NHL-GAF needs to stand together on this one, its an absolutely ridiculous rule

I like it. There'd be too much grey area if they were to change the rule and make it, "intentionally cleared the puck into the stands"

gcubed

I like it. There'd be too much grey area if they were to change the rule and make it, "intentionally cleared the puck into the stands"

there's gray area now of "did it deflect". I'd rather go back to the "did he mean to"

I suppose. The refs have a hard fucking job. I wouldn't want to be in that position, ever.

I think the problem is more that, particularly in a playoff game, the Refs are letting a ton of stuff go. Hit, fight, trip, whatever - calls are way down unless the two teams have just broken down into wall-to-wall fighting. ("Playoff Hockey(tm)") But if you clear it by accident, it's a penalty, even if it's Game 7 2OT.

I'd rather they just stick to calling games properly (or at least "regular season proper", whatever that means) but it just comes off poorly when some calls are out of the refs hands but not others.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Apparently Giroux's excuse wasn't as rock solid as Neals.

I have no problem with the suspension, the only problem i have is with the inconsistency. Neal's half game per hit still pisses me off.

The fact that Neal blatantly did it twice on consecutive shifts and only got one game is mind-boggling.

Curufinwe

Giroux let himself and the team down. Hopefully he'll learn from this and never do something so dumb and pointless again.

It would be nice if Shanahan and the league admitted they screwed up at the start of the playoffs by being way too lenient on Neal and Weber, but I guess we can take that as given based on this ruling.

Top Bottom