• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold 250k, Xbox One 100k in Germany

Sony are probably pushing as many units as they can into the UK as they want to dethrone Microsoft. I have a feeling that mainland Europe will remain supply constrained for PS4 much longer because of this. Over the next year Sony's lead in mainland Europe could improve somewhat because Microsoft is already satisfying demand. Sony also spread much thinner, launching in more countries.

The posts saying neighboring tier two countries are choosing to import from Germany is very interesting. Microsoft should expediate their tier two launch really, there's no reason to delay it further.

Uk next gen market already 2:1 over Germany. Ratio is pretty much as expected. MS has an uphill battle with a higher pricing combined with few Kinect games to justify it.

Dinda

Well, that's exaclty the number they provided, there is absolutely no chance to get one here out in the wild.

And to be honest i don't know what i should think about that knowing that the UK with a population of about 20 million less did get over 500.000.

Didn't Spain also sell around that Number? (with a bit more than half the Population of Germany)

Really Sony, you are right that we won't buy Xboxes just because we can't get a PS4, but that's still a bit questionable.

Oh, here you are.

Do we have how much Wii U sold from launch to the end of 2012?

P.S. See my post in the thread about UK 2013 numbers ;)
I'm at work, so I can only refer to a picture I posted in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725491&highlight=

wiurk3cq5.png

Wii U in UK was around 155.000 - 160.000 (mid of November 2013), so it probably managed 30.000 units in December + half of November (with the newest numbers from the UK thread).

If it sold that much in UK it managed 20.000 - 30.000 units in Germany, therefore, LTD should be 180.000 - 190.000 units.

France was at 175.000 (mid of November), so it could be around 180.000 - 195.000 too.

So, Wii U LTD in those countries should be around 570.000 units. (as of Dec. 2013)

Hopefully we'll get some exact numbers.

Skeff

Is there any part of Europe where the Xbox One did better?

Perhaps somewhere due to importations, The only way I see it happening is is if 5/6 unlaunched countries import their XB1's from another small country, But I don't know which country that could happen in.

To be honest it seems Likely that of that 100k sold in Germany it includes a lot of exports to neighboring countries.

Sony are probably pushing as many units as they can into the UK as they want to dethrone Microsoft. I have a feeling that mainland Europe will remain supply constrained for PS4 much longer because of this. Over the next year Sony's lead in mainland Europe could improve somewhat because Microsoft is already satisfying demand. Sony also spread much thinner, launching in more countries.

The posts saying neighboring tier two countries are choosing to import from Germany is very interesting. Microsoft should expediate their tier two launch really, there's no reason to delay it further.

That's probably EXACTLY what's happening.

They know the mainland will forever be loyal to the PS4. They're trying to establish early dominance in the UK so they can practically steamroll the rest of the gen.

S¡mon

Banned
Many people from the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark etc are buying/ordering their Xbox one consoles in Germany because its not available there (Tier 2).
This is a good point. For those countries, Germany is basically the easiest country to get the Xbox One from. It's the nearest, languages are similar.

There will be a good amount of 'German' sales by users who are not from Germany.

Nibel

Did not see a single PS4 on a shelf while Xbox One is available almost everywhere, so yeah those numbers seem pretty accurate

I'm surprised about the Xbox numbers. I thought it would be worse.

It's going to get a lot worse now that the pent up demand for next gen Xbox has been cleared. The demand in January has most likely been significantly reduced, while PS4 is still out of stock everywhere. 2014 ratio could go > 4:1.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, PS4 counter would be much higher here in Germany if there would be more PS4s.. So many people want to buy one, but its not available

Sigh don't tell me about supply problems.

I can buy Xbox One any moment at no markup but when PS4 gets available it is sold out in few hours despite being priced into 500 EUR range.

And that's Poland when Xbone is not offcialy launched.

Honestly after all the bad press Microsoft got this year and the 11:1 preorder estimates that were coming in, this is actually much less of a gap than I would have thought. In fact it's really a victory for MS if you think about it, sure they still have some work to do but you can't count them out yet like some people were saying!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm at work, so I can only refer to a picture I posted in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725491&highlight=

wiurk3cq5.png

Wii U in UK was around 155.000 - 160.000 (mid of November 2013), so it probably managed 30.000 units in December + half of November (with the newest numbers from the UK thread).

If it sold that much in UK it managed 20.000 - 30.000 units in Germany, therefore, LTD should be 180.000 - 190.000 units.

France was at 175.000 (mid of November), so it could be around 180.000 - 195.000 too.

So, Wii U LTD in those countries should be around 570.000 units. (as of Dec. 2013)

Hopefully we'll get some exact numbers.

So, Wii U sold 85,000 from launch to end of 2012, right? That's not that far from Xbox One's debut. And it was available for one more week compared to Wii U.

KDR_11k

Not surprised, the stores I've been to mostly had normal stocks of XB1s (roughly the same numbers as the older consoles) but I've never seen a PS4 box in a store.

Skeff

Honestly after all the bad press Microsoft got this year and the 11:1 preorder estimates that were coming in, this is actually much less of a gap than I would have thought. In fact it's really a victory for MS if you think about it, sure they still have some work to do but you can't count them out yet like some people were saying!

Instead of thinking of it 2.5:1, try to think of it like this:

XB1, sold 100k units, to multiple countries thanks to imports, No supply issues, all early adopters have had the chance to purchase. More XB1's are just sat in stores waiting to be sold.

PS4, sold every unit of the 250k shipped.

The gap is going to widen considerably.

ymmv

Banned
Åesop;96952004 said:
To be honest, PS4 counter would be much higher here in Germany if there would be more PS4s.. So many people want to buy one, but its not available

Sony's lead on Microsoft will dramatically rise in the coming months. There are so many retailers still sitting on Xbox One stock that there's no real damand for more consoles from MS. Sony on the other hand could easily sell 1 (maybe even 2) million consoles just to fill current pre-orders. In two months time Sony will have sold at least 5 million consoles by then, MS will remain at slightly more than 3 million consoles sold.

Chobel

You're getting too good at this, I don't know if you're trolling or not.

Is Germany one of the European countries where they were giving away free copies of FIFA to those that preordered?

Yes.

vpance

The gap will only grow from here...

NA:
PS4 1.14 million
Xbox One:909,132

UK:
PS4 530,000
Xbox One: 364,000

Spain:
PS4:134,000
Xbox One:28k

France:
PS4:100k *first 2 weeks
Xbox One 50k* first 3 weeks*

AU:
Xbox One:65,917

Germany:
PS4 250K
Xbox One 100K

Good stuff for collating this information. I wasn't aware we had solid sales figures for North America yet (although I may have missed it as I just got back from holiday)? I'm sure Titanfall and Halo this year will help MS catch up, but I think for them all territories except North America are already a lost cause.

dorn.

So Sony only shipped 250k consoles? That explains a lot, I don't think PS4 has been in stock anywhere anytime since launch, pretty much the only way to get one has been ordering from France/UK AFAIK. Curious why they did that, maybe they thought UK is the more important battlefield since Germany is already PS-biased?

vpance

I think so. People are desperatly waiting for more PS4s. The Xbox One however is available in most places.
Once there is enough stock outthere we will know how large the gap really is.

Exactly. We're just measuring the jump off the starting line of a looong race.

I suspect in a few months out, true sales ratios will level out around 2.5-3:1 WW. It won't be pretty for MS.

ps3ud0

Is there any disadvantage to buying a German XO if you arent in Germany but one of the surrounding German speaking countries? Wondering how much of that 100k isnt attributable to Germans.
Sigh don't tell me about supply problems.

I can buy Xbox One any moment at no markup but when PS4 gets available it is sold out in few hours despite being priced into 500 EUR range.

And that's Poland when Xbone is not offcialy launched.
Wow thats pretty damning!

ps3ud0 8)

SaucyJack

Instead of thinking of it 2.5:1, try to think of it like this:

XB1, sold 100k units, to multiple countries thanks to imports, No supply issues, all early adopters have had the chance to purchase. More XB1's are just sat in stores waiting to be sold.

PS4, sold every unit of the 250k shipped.

The gap is going to widen considerably.

Agree, XBO is in ready supply everywhere it has launched, which less than 2 months after launch is bad news, especially as the launch was scaled abck.

PS4 looks like it could easily be in short supply for quite some time to come, possibly all the way round to the next holiday season?

Loudninja

Good stuff for collating this information. I wasn't aware we had solid sales figures for North America yet (although I may have missed it as I just got back from holiday)? I'm sure Titanfall and Halo this year will help MS catch up, but I think for them all territories except North America are already a lost cause.
The NA PS4 number is not official since we get them form the usual source on gaf.

Top Bottom