• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale GTTV Video

Smash Bros was unique when it first came out, but it is not one of a kind anymore though. There are many similar games like it now. Digimon Rumble Arena, Turtles Smash-Up, Jump Superstar and DreamMix TV World Fighters, just to mention some examples, are games that have the same type of gameplay as Smash Bros.

shh, don't let anyone know those games exist. just think of all that paperwork that nintendo lawyers are gonna have to do.
some of the comments in this thread are just...i can't even describe them.
regarding the game, i think it looks okay. not a game i'd buy for 60$, but i'd totally try this when it drops to 30$ or less (just like super smash brothers games).

test_account

XP-39C²
shh, don't let anyone know those games exist. just think of all that paperwork that nintendo lawyers are gonna have to do.
some of the comments in this thread are just...i can't even describe them.
regarding the game, i think it looks okay. not a game i'd buy for 60$, but i'd totally try this when it drops to 30$ or less (just like super smash brothers games).
Honestly i didnt know about all these games before i did some research on it today, so i guess it easy to have missed many of those :) But yeah, i'm also surprised by some of the negative reactions to the Battle Royale game. It will probably have minimum impact on the sales of Smash Bros, so i dont think it is much of a threat to Nintendo.

linko9

There is no denying that Sony wants to try to captialize on this type of gameplay indeed. Afterall, look how succesful the Smash Bros serie is. It is no different than people trying to capitalize on making modern shooters, seeing how popular Call of Duty is. So it is understandable in my opinion.

Smash Bros was unique when it first came out, but it is not one of a kind anymore though. There are many similar games like it now. Digimon Rumble Arena, Turtles Smash-Up, Jump Superstar and DreamMix TV World Fighters, just to mention some examples, are games that have the same type of gameplay as Smash Bros.

And lets not forget that Smash Bros itself was preceded by The Outfoxies. However, Smash bros innovated a great deal over that formula, and it looks like Sony is not doing the same. On the one hand, I've got no problem with ripoffs; there are quite a few ripoffs that I like a lot! But on the other hand I'll never hold those games in the highest regard. Okami is an amazing game, but I'd never consider it to be one of the truly great games of last generation, simply because it wasn't fresh enough. And from the looks of things, this game is much less innovative than Okami. It's just a shame that with a large budget, they couldn't develop a brand-new (or at least relatively more new) formula for a fighting game.

Top Bottom