• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo recommends opening Wii U and perform system update before gifting to others

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
tbkkV.jpg

That's terrible lol...I can't believe they'd use 'protip', and I can't believe they'd suggest that either. If it's a deluxe system, you'll have to somehow explain why your gift has fingerprints all over the damn system too.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Can people just start playing Nintendoland out of the box without an internet connection?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
To be fair this advice is valid for a pretty large selection of consumer electronics. You sure aren't gonna be playing online on a new PS3 without waiting for an update first.

Maybe if the recipient is older they care if it's been opened or whatever, but a kid just wants to play with it ASAP.

Here's my protip Nintendo! How about YOU get your manufacturers to have the Wii U already updated to the latest firmware before they get shipped out!

big_z

WTF, who wants to open an already opened gift? I want to smell the newness. Terrible advice.

Yeah Nintendo hardware has the best smell. Sony for some reason smells bad and Microsoft falls between.

Here's my protip Nintendo! How about YOU get your manufacturers to have the Wii U already updated to the latest firmware before they get shipped out!

They will do this but people have to actually buy the console so they can move through the launch stock. Could be a while.

jgmo870

Banned
It's hilarious but I did the same the thing for a friend. Bought him GT5 and couldn't let him go through that install being excited and all.

Hiltz

Reggie: Hey mom, I got you a gift.

Reggie's mom: What it is?

Reggie: See for yourself.

Reggie's mom: Oh, it's a Wii U. Thank you son.

Reggie: You're welcome. I know you liked white so I got that for you with a copy of Nintendo Land.

Reggie's mom: So can I play it right away ?

Reggie: Yep. It's great.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Selling #WiiU as a gift? Pro-tip: Perform system updates before shipping so it’s good to go as soon as it’s opened!

flippedb

Banned
Well it did suck opening my PS3 and having to wait for it to update before being able to put some game in and having to update it as well.

This is a good advice actually.

Breaking the seal on the box or waiting for the update to download for hours as everyone else and their new WiiUs try to update on Christmas day? I would really appreciate someone doing it beforehand if they got me one.

Good advice, but it's sad that it even needs to be said. They need to do something about those update file sizes, cuz that shit took for-fucking-ever.
Edit: Also, people being gifted black Wii U's: prepare for fingerprints.

Fredrik

That's terrible lol...I can't believe they'd use 'protip', and I can't believe they'd suggest that either. If it's a deluxe system, you'll have to somehow explain why your gift has fingerprints all over the damn system too.
Fingerprints can be removed, and I don't think all that many will complain if they don't have to spend Christmas Eve looking at an incredibly slow moving progress bar.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Gahiggidy Tip: Make an Mii of the person you are giving it to ahead of time (or transfer it from an old Wii/3DS). That way the first time they boot up the machine they will see themselves in the center of Wara Wara plaza with hundreds of other Miis running past to the those game and app tiles.

As bad as it is to have to do this, it's really good advice. Who wants to have their kid wake up on Christmas morning only to be greeted by a 2 hour download or worse.
Then you cant return it.

My god.

Genius.

What kind of places are you shopping at?

To be fair this advice is valid for a pretty large selection of consumer electronics. You sure aren't gonna be playing online on a new PS3 without waiting for an update first.

Maybe if the recipient is older they care if it's been opened or whatever, but a kid just wants to play with it ASAP.

I agree - the amount of updates I go through on the 360 is frustrating, particularly if getting a game after release.

Eric C

Breaking the seal on the box or waiting for the update to download for hours as everyone else and their new WiiUs try to update on Christmas day? I would really appreciate someone doing it beforehand if they got me one.

Wii U boxes have no seal.

Can people just start playing Nintendoland out of the box without an internet connection?
If you have no internet, I think so.

You can also play while it's downloading the update.

Toki1776

is it easy to repackage? Once I pull shit out IT never goes back right. The kids will know, they will know.

Well, so what if they do? I doubt they'll refuse the gift because you opened it, and if they do, you definitely have bigger problems ;)
I think it's good advice.

Malio

#Nintendo Shipping Wii U? Pro tip: Don't ship a product that requires a friggin' 1gig update as soon as you turn it on, so that it's good to go as soon as it's opened!

Pharros

This just reminded me that my ps3 under the tree is definitely going to need some updates before I use it Christmas Day... Crap:(

Top Bottom