• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Minsc

Gold Member
Did they ever say how this was coming to windows? I'm still leaning towards the xbox360 version since my wife seemed annoyed when she realized I was thinking of getting the PC version.
Still though, depending how it's released I may consider it.

Post #51 has all the info I could find so far about the windows release. Steam may come later, seems unlikely it will be on Steam when it launches going by what they said. I imagine they are simply incorporating their own system for the DLC initially, so they don't have to pay Steam or someone else the 30% cut. Though that does seem trivial when they're already paying it to Sony/MS/Apple/etc, so perhaps not? They did say pricing of the tables would be higher on certain platforms where the 99 cent / lower prices won't fly. Probably referring to the console versions.

They do plan on looking in to supporting some pretty neat stuff on the PC, virtual pinball machines with 3 displays and motors, and I'm sure if there's any sort of community for mods/custom builds, it'll be on PC. I don't know how likely that is though, given they generally don't want people changing stuff under the hood iirc.

They do plan on looking in to supporting some pretty neat stuff on the PC, virtual pinball machines with 3 displays and motors, and I'm sure if there's any sort of community for mods/custom builds, it'll be on PC. I don't know how likely that is though, given they generally don't want people changing stuff under the hood iirc.

That´s awesome, superstoked for the pc version, i´ve been planning how to make my own custom pinball machine for a while, i already bought the MDF, the lcd monitors, pc components, etc, but the hardware it´s not the problem here, the software is, with this game, every concern automatically dissapears to me.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just bought this for the iPad 2. It's great, except for the Facebook connect stuff. I don't want to annoy people with pinball-related posts to my wall.

I'm a total pinball scrub by the way, I just got a score of 62,879,290 on TOTAN, and am feeling quite pleased with myself.

jvm

Gamasutra.
If anyone (like me) is waiting on the Kindle Fire version, someone asked on Facebook and got a more detailed answer. Basically, Amazon's App Store doesn't have in-app purchasing yet, but it is in beta testing and they are working with Amazon to get it done. Once that feature (in-app purchases) is deployed by Amazon, the Kindle Fire version can go up.

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
Can't wait for this to come to XBLA! Would love to see Cyclone added to the list of upcoming tables.

The one at the top of my wish list is the Star Wars pinball game from Data East but the chances of that one making it are probably slim with the double whammy of the Star Wars license and the fact that they aren't doing any Data East machines as of right now.

stuminus3

Just bought this for the iPad 2. It's great, except for the Facebook connect stuff. I don't want to annoy people with pinball-related posts to my wall.
Then... don't post them to your wall? Your high scores go on the leaderboards whether you share them on your Facebook wall or not.

Have you checked out the Williams Collection? Some of the best ball physics I've seen. I enjoy Zen Pinball despite its physics, I enjoy WC because of them

I have that on ps3 and I liked it when I got it, but I can't go back to it anymore. All of the emulated Pinball I've seen just way too easy compared to the real thing. It's fun to see the table emulated but I don't have the interest to play them anymore unless it's a real table.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Then... don't post them to your wall? Your high scores go on the leaderboards whether you share them on your Facebook wall or not.

Ah, I figured that it would automatically spam people with annoying messages once I linked up my Facebook account. Does it ask you every time?

Wish the PS3 version came out sooner, but oh well. Over the last year and a half, I have become addicted to these pinball adaptations and to Zen pinball as well. Can't get enough. Hope Monster Bash is out quick, been waiting for that forever.

Tobor

Ah, I figured that it would automatically spam people with annoying messages once I linked up my Facebook account. Does it ask you every time?

Yeah, if you top the high score on the table, it asks if you want to post it on your wall. Nothing gets posted without your permission.

BiggNife

If anyone (like me) is waiting on the Kindle Fire version, someone asked on Facebook and got a more detailed answer. Basically, Amazon's App Store doesn't have in-app purchasing yet, but it is in beta testing and they are working with Amazon to get it done. Once that feature (in-app purchases) is deployed by Amazon, the Kindle Fire version can go up.

I know you responded to my last message, but I'm just letting you know that the version of Pinball Arcade on the Android Market works perfectly on the Fire.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I know you responded to my last message, but I'm just letting you know that the version of Pinball Arcade on the Android Market works perfectly on the Fire.
Yep, and I appreciate it. It makes me happy that it will be just fine when it arrives through the Amazon store, but I'm holding off on rooting for now. I'm just old-fashioned that way. :)

Thanks.

Got this at launch and have put a lot of time into it on my iPad 1. I picked up Theatre of Magic and TOTAN. I like Theatre of Magic more, to the point where I want to buy one. Too bad they run for about $4,000 on eBay :(

My only complaints are that the game was clearly NOT optimized to run on an iPad 1. I was in the middle of putting up my best high score on Theatre of Magic when an iOS notification banner popped up and crashed the game (NOOOOOOO!). I've had email dings and other iOS notifications result in noticeable slow-down in the game which more often than not results in my draining the ball. Also, logging into Facebook is impossible on the iPad 1. The memory required to swap to the FB app and login always causes iOS to kill Pinball Arcade so when it swaps from FB back to the game it boots from start and you are not logged in. Same thing happens when trying to post your high scores.

It works perfectly on my iPhone 4S but the screen is so small that it makes playing very difficult and I can't put up good scores.

I really hope they add Twilight Zone and Whitewater to this game eventually, I was saddened to see that neither is on the list of confirmed tables. I can see how it might be hard to get a TZ license but Whitewater is an original and it's very popular so I'm surprised it didn't make the cut.

Cardigan

I really hope they add Twilight Zone and Whitewater to this game eventually, I was saddened to see that neither is on the list of confirmed tables. I can see how it might be hard to get a TZ license but Whitewater is an original and it's very popular so I'm surprised it didn't make the cut.

I bet that they will release Whitewater at some point in time, but they can't announce all of their table plans yet.

edit: Hello Mike. I was reading the PA Facebook page and saw a post that looked quite similar to the one you wrote, makes sense now ;)

Shearie

TOTAN is so damn hard for me because of how easy it is for the ball to go down the outlanes. The shooting stars are barely a help either. My highest score for that table is somewhere in the 40 millions and that was just a fluke because I can't even get close to that now.

Shaneus

Some of the wizard goals are such a bitch. Hell, even the odd basic goal proves to be a right bastard. Case in point: Score 250,000 on the sub-playfield on Black Hole :(

Cardigan

Some of the wizard goals are such a bitch. Hell, even the odd basic goal proves to be a right bastard. Case in point: Score 250,000 on the sub-playfield on Black Hole :(

Yeah, that one took me a while to get. You just gotta try and get the 5x bonus multiplier along with the accelerator and then be patient. I believe the the Wizard Goal is 500,000 :(

Shearie

Got my new high score of 128 mil. on TOTAN. I can't remember the last time I concentrated so hard in anything in life as I did trying to keep the ball in play there. I think I'll concentrate for the time being on trying to up my ToM score since playing that table is a lot less tense, and also because its awesome.

Can't wait for new tables. This has pretty much taken over my gaming life.

Askani

I was navigating the Twitters and I didn't see anything about a PC version yet. Is it still on tap for this month? Has anyone seen any new news about it?

Cardigan

I was navigating the Twitters and I didn't see anything about a PC version yet. Is it still on tap for this month? Has anyone seen any new news about it?

The only thing I've seen from Farsight is a PC launch in March. I'm hoping that since they haven't said "late March" that it will release earlier than the console versions. Then again, I'm only really considering buying this on PC if it's released on Steam.

Askani

The only thing I've seen from Farsight is a PC launch in March. I'm hoping that since they haven't said "late March" that it will release earlier than the console versions. Then again, I'm only really considering buying this on PC if it's released on Steam.

Damn...it does say March. All this time I've had it in my head that it was this month. Reading fail.

Minsc

Gold Member
The Pinball Aracde Facebook said:
We are very proud to announce that in the two weeks since it was launched The Pinball Arcade has been downloaded over A MILLION TIMES! Thanks very much to all of our Facebook fans- it couldn't have happened without you!

1 million and counting! :) Hopefully there's enough paying customers from all the eventual platforms to keep TPA alive and putting out new DLC for years and years.

1 million and counting! :) Hopefully there's enough paying customers from all the eventual platforms to keep TPA alive and putting out new DLC for years and years.

I hope the sales do well enough on the platforms that have buttons for controls to make them worthwhile so they don't only focus only on touch screen versions... I'm worried though since I know it's so much easier to sell things on phones since it's a super impulse purchase for people.

T-Matt

I hope the sales do well enough on the platforms that have buttons for controls to make them worthwhile so they don't only focus only on touch screen versions... I'm worried though since I know it's so much easier to sell things on phones since it's a super impulse purchase for people.

Yeah, I know the touchscreen versions will sell well and that is great because I want companies that make pinball games to have sustainable business. But, I want xbla/steam/psn versions to do well so I can enjoy them that way.

Minsc

Gold Member

I always imagined it as sorta an all-for-one / one-for-all deal. By having success on any or multiple platforms, it will keep it alive for all of them.

I'm sure they'll be very successful on PC (since the genre is very under-represented there), and I expect the consoles and handhelds to do well for them also. Good news all around. :)

I bet they could even get a kickstarter or two going for certain tables, though I doubt they'll have to in the long run given all the platforms it will be selling on (which I see as a big strength for the product). A bunch of crazy pinball fans would probably spend quite a bit more than the $4 price slot if it meant covering the licenses to get certain tables in the game.

Edit: Actually I believe they were supposed to have released a video of it running on the Vita a few days back, never saw it yet though. Probably looks really nice!

Teppic

Two tables I like to see is Addams Family and Elvira Party Monsters. Some nostalgic moments from these. Addams Family is the only real pinball machine I've ever played, and I only played it once.

Shaneus

Two tables I like to see is Addams Family and Elvira Party Monsters. Some nostalgic moments from these. Addams Family is the only real pinball machine I've ever played, and I only played it once.
There's an Addams Family IRL at my local :D Pretty average condition (not as bad as the Medieval Madness next to it) but it's a heck of a lot of fun. I'd played it before, but I'd only really given it a good crack a few months ago. Great game.

I wonder what the chances are we'd get a digital version of Pinball Circus. It'd be a great opportunity for them to bring to the public a real manufacturer couldn't.

pachuco

The controls on iPhone suck. I think I need some tactile inputs for this to be worthwhile. I will wait for the Xbox version to actually buy the game.

Shearie

The controls on iPhone suck. I think I need some tactile inputs for this to be worthwhile. I will wait for the Xbox version to actually buy the game.

You may prefer tactile buttons for your video pinball but the iPhone/iPad controls do not suck at all. I love playing this on my iPad and to a lesser extent, my iPhone (because of the smaller screen), and even though I have a PS3, iOS is my platform of choice for this game because I can play it anywhere and I have a feeling the tables are going to be more expensive for the console versions.

Aselith

Downloaded today and the game seems pretty good. Nice and smooth on my Droid X although downloading tables makes phone flip the fuck out. Not sure what's up with that in their programming.

I bet that they will release Whitewater at some point in time, but they can't announce all of their table plans yet.

edit: Hello Mike. I was reading the PA Facebook page and saw a post that looked quite similar to the one you wrote, makes sense now ;)

Haha yeah I figured I'd let them know more directly rather than just on GAF.

Ikopi

Haven't seen a price drop yet for the 'Table of the Month' in March. Does the promotion start the first of the month or later?

Minsc

Gold Member
They posted an update on facebook:

The Pinball Arcade Sorry: we've been hard at work getting the Xbox 360, PlayStation3, and Vita versions into submission, as well as finishing the Mac version and manning the kiosk in Barcelona. We're exhausted! But we'll try to release some new material in the next week.

This is probably as crunch-time as any ever for them. I am not expecting the normal monthly sales/DLC to start happening regularly until May, if the console launches are essentially April (last days of March). I hope they get things together sooner, but preparing all these platforms for launch has got to be eating all their free time.

The question the quote above was in response to was when are new tables coming, they say they'll try for next week, but use the word material, not table, so it could be anything, maybe just a trailer for them. I also feel like they're really poor at letting people know there's new videos out, so it they do release DLC table trailers, hopefully people notice them!

Also, they said they're looking in to Ripley's slowdown. The table/chipset emulation requires twice as many cycles or something as all the other tables, so it's the most CPU heavy one, and they're seeing what they can do to optimize it.

Wonko_C

What happened to the Vita version being released around the hardware's launch window? I bought a $20 PSN card instead of Microsoft Points because I thought the Vita version was going to come sooner than the console versions. Hopefully buying it off PSN gives us both Vita and PSN. (wishful thinking)

Bog

Junior Ace
They posted an update on facebook:

This is probably as crunch-time as any ever for them. I am not expecting the normal monthly sales/DLC to start happening regularly until May, if the console launches are essentially April (last days of March). I hope they get things together sooner, but preparing all these platforms for launch has got to be eating all their free time.

The question the quote above was in response to was when are new tables coming, they say they'll try for next week, but use the word material, not table, so it could be anything, maybe just a trailer for them. I also feel like they're really poor at letting people know there's new videos out, so it they do release DLC table trailers, hopefully people notice them!

Also, they said they're looking in to Ripley's slowdown. The table/chipset emulation requires twice as many cycles or something as all the other tables, so it's the most CPU heavy one, and they're seeing what they can do to optimize it.

Man, that says nothing about the 3DS. After playing Zen Pinball and seeing the 3D effect actually work amazingly well for pinball, it's the only platform I want the game on.

Cardigan

Does anyone feel like Farsight is a little in over their heads with all of these releases? The more I play TPA on my iPad the more I realize how buggy it is. I hope they have these issues sorted out for the console/computer releases, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. It also seems like they are releasing the Mac version before the PC. What gives with that? They had indicated earlier that the PC version would be released mid-March or around then. Their lack of clear release dates makes it pretty obvious that they're flying by the seat of their pants and probably not giving the games as much QA as they need.

It works amazingly well on 3D TVs, too...

Neat. Hopefully, you guys manage an on-screen preview of any strength sliders you provide. I hate blindly adjusting settings only to find myself back at the setting screen adjusting with little clue as to how I should proceed. Console games have this issue far too often, with screen settings not having a game-specific corresponding image to fine tune with in real-time.

Minsc

Gold Member
So there's some recent talk of the PC version being delayed until June and not being on Steam (due to valve). From TPA's facebook:

The Pinball Arcade: We haven't made a final decision about the PC distribution channel. The folks at Valve seem a little skeptical that Steam users want to play pinball. We might post an email address a little later for anyone who disagrees :)

There's a dozen or so screens of the PS3 version on their facebook page (not even 720p though, weird), nothing too special though. Definitely looks better than what they have on iOS so far, but they said they plan on updating the game for the iPad 3, so things should get better.

And they also said they should have videos of the first DLC tables soon. So at least some good news in all this.

Aselith

So there's some recent talk of the PC version being delayed until June and not being on Steam (due to valve). From TPA's facebook:

There's a dozen or so screens of the PS3 version on their facebook page (not even 720p though, weird), nothing too special though. Definitely looks better than what they have on iOS so far, but they said they plan on updating the game for the iPad 3, so things should get better.

And they also said they should have videos of the first DLC tables soon. So at least some good news in all this.
Steam users love Peggle but hate pinball? Come on, son. Valve makes some odd decisions sometimes.

Valve's approval process is getting too subjective these days. Maybe the devs should submit a build with some Steamworks integrated features (ahievements, leaderboards, etc.) or wait until it has gained some recognition from XBLA/PSN. Valve seems to really like that.

I bet Zen Pinball/Pinball FX would get approved...

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Fingers crossed that one day we'll see Truck Stop, Earthquake and I think it was a Sega Star Wars game? Early to mid 90s, Dot matrix display. Can't remember if it was the triology or not as it's been over 12yrs since I seen one.

Shaneus

Even though it was almost unanimously agreed to be an average table, I would love to see Apollo 13 just for the 13-ball multiball.

Top Bottom