• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 DEMO up in Asian PSN store

firen

After playing through the demo I have to say I am very optimistic about the game. Initially, after reading through all the comments, I was a bit afraid of what I might experience. This level puts my fears to rest. That is to say, this game is less of the Michael Bay Resistance 2 and more of the horror elements from Resistance 1. There was almost a Half Life 2 (the noises the come from the Goliath especially) feel to this level.

I am really happy that R3 wont force me to use iron sight all the time. The hip fire is amazing! I also liked the overall feel of the weapons, especially the redesigned Bullseye.

Additionally the down time between the fights is great because it increase the anticipation for each conflict with the Chimera. Also, I am not sure why people are complaining about the graphics. I think they are fine.

Three year break after R2 and people are saying the graphics are still disappointing? Man, I thought Insomniac would have figured out the PS3 architecture at this point, same way ND has. Doesn't sound like it though going by people's impressions. RotM was such a good game, too. How are they struggling to get back to that? Was it just luck the first time? I don't get it.

Needless to say, my expectations have now been severely lowered, but maybe that's a good thing.

Straxus

Thanks.

Deactivated.
Just remembered that I used a profile for Killzone 3 demo (I think), and I'm not sure I deactivated it before the shutdown.

netguy503

Straxus said:
Thanks.

Deactivated.
Just remembered that I used a profile for Killzone 3 demo (I think), and I'm not sure I deactivated it before the shutdown.

You don't need to for demos. Don't worry about it.

Hazelhurst

.la1n said:
Iv'e played a current build, it is amazing. Really takes me back to the original in terms of sheer fun. Graphics are also a huge leap above the first two games. You don't have to take my word for it.
I've never understood why even release a demo if it's not representative of the final product? These early impressions are disappointing.

In my eyes, Insomniac has a lot to prove. Killzone 2, not to mention Killzone 3, destroyed R2 both in terms of graphics and gameplay. Seriously, play about 30 minutes of KZ2, then go play 30 minutes of R2 and it's clear, R2 looks and feels generic. One of the few things it has going for it are the highly imaginative weapons, but that can only go so far. I really enjoyed R2, both single player and multi (coop), until KZ2 came out four months later.

It sounds, from these impressions, that not much has changed. I know this is only a demo, but this is not a good sign. Sorry for the rant.

Irish

Hazelhurst said:
Seriously, play about 30 minutes of KZ2, then go play 30 minutes of R2 and it's clear, R2 looks and feels generic. One of the few things it has going for it are the highly imaginative weapons, but that can only go so far.

It sounds, from these impressions, that not much has changed. I know this is only a demo, but this is not a good sign. Sorry for the rant.

Wut? R2 took out a lot of the highly imaginative weapons and replaced them with standard military shooter fare like a chain gun, assault rifle, and grenade launcher.

Anyway, the gunplay is ridiculously good in the demo. You really need to try it out for yourself. If you liked R:FoM, I really find it hard to believe you won't like what is in the demo. Now, I'm not saying there aren't fans out there who didn't like the demo, but it definitely reminded me of all the fun I had playing through the R1 campaign (which I played through a ton of times, half co-op and half SP).

Now, I admit, I think it would have been better if the demo took place during that Haven level that we have seen in videos before, but there is one large advantage the boat level brings us-- infinite ammo. Just treat the demo like a firing range to test out all of the weapons. I've gone through it several times just to really fool around with all the guns and their alt fire capabilities. Using only hipfire is my preferred method (just as accurate at long range as the sights, which is the way I like my arcadey shooters).

woolley

I really liked the atmosphere of the demo. I liked the listening to the radio transmissions and how people have to communicate with each other to get their messages out and the state the world is in. I really liked in the beginning the family was looking for their young daughter and then someone contacted the radio saying that they found the girl.

I would think most people would probably just ignore this but I found it really cool. And I also like being able to look around the world and take it in but I guess a lot of people find that boring.

I liked how the weapons worked but I would like a little bit more power feeling of the weapon in my controller, it didn't seem strong enough to me.

Norml

The video quality of opening cutscene was very bad.Comparing to R2 the enemies have less detail in texture and game looks less sharp maybe less resolution,but does have some nice anamorphic lens flares.Only thing I really liked was the sound the winged type chimera make.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why do I get this huge flicker on the top whenever I press the HOME button to go back to the XMB, is the demo even initialized for the PS3?

It feels really weird and jarring or is that just me and my PS3 showing signs of fadeness ; ;

Loved the feel of the gunplay, is it me or does it feel more r1 than r2 in the gunplay stakes. I can only imagen how sweet this will be in mp. Did anyone play about with the screen size thing, looked a bit strange when i set it to fit my 1080p tv. Cant wait though, on the demo alone im sold on the gunplay can only hope the mp goes back to r1.

woolley

I think that the boat level would've just been easier to make a demo. With the Haven level people have so much more freedom to move around and that means more opportunities to run into major bugs. It would probably take less development time to make an on-rails section a demo because the can easily control what the player has access to.

I could be completely wrong but that's what make the most sense to me.

Stoffinator

Metalmurphy said:
There's also 2 accounts going around so it should make things easier.

For the new page:

Account 1 by 3borgman
Made a Dummy account

quote to reveal!

and please dont change the password

Account 2 by AwesomeSauce

Since there's no limit to activate it just quote this post to see the account info

It asks me for date of birth info. What is it for the second account?

iNvidious01 said:
dunno, but use singapore. thats where the demo is and setup is english
I did that one, but it wasn't there

Graphics:

People are saying it doesn’t look good? I’d love to know on what grounds? It’s perhaps not quite KZ 3, but it’s no dog either. It looks great – really evocative. Sure it doesn’t have the gritty realism you might be used to from the likes of COD. But in no way does it look bad. You could pick out individual elements such as the ice being a bit hokey. But overall it looks clean and more than a touch alluring. The step up from R2’s weird lighting and diabolical texturing is immense. Some of the incidental effects are great, the fog, the lens flare from the light on the boat and the way the enemies disintergrate from the shot gun were highlights for me. I’m sure none of them are technically cutting edge, but the level of polish makes them stand out. In general the art direction is a LOT more assured than the weird mix bag in the last game and it certainly no longer feels like they sold the farm to pay for SCALE, SCALE, SCALE.

Gameplay:

Feels smooth and crisp – certainly the feeling of control is a notch above the likes of killzone. It feelings pleasingly arcade-y in some respects. The revolver is damn cool and the shotgun is super-satisfying. Really looking forward to giving this a blast with PS Move too.

Sound:

Weapon effects seem to have the appropriate kick and the explosions are nice and throaty. I turned the sound up, not down, for the demo – a good sign. Hoping the music will no longer be MUZAK.

Overall:

This demo washed the bad taste of R2 away completely... I remember playing the R2 beta and thinking OMG i hope this is early... and the game came out barely changed. With this I’m thinking the complete opposite – give it to me now, it’s goooooood! Insomniacs, I salute thee. Next stop overstrike!!!

Atruvius

I liked the demo. Gunplay felt good (some more visual feedback would be nice), atmosphere was great and all the guns felt different. There were some fps drops and water wasn't as interactive as in R2 but I didn't really mind.

By the way, it wouldn't if you could adjust x-axis' and y-axis sensitivity separately. Y-axis' sensitivity is in the demo lower than the x-axis' and it feels a bit janky to me. Otherwise the controls are great.

spats

I liked it too. Guns felt good and the section had a nice mood to it. On-rails sections usually suck but the one in the demo was alright. How the rest of the campaign will shape up is going to be the selling point for me. Don't care one bit about MP so if they take the story to some genuinely interesting places and keep the shooting intact then I'll definitely buy this.

brunoa76

2 details (easy to fix) I don't like in the demo :

- the crosshair is ugly and too big, I hope they will get back to the original crosshairs and reduce them.
- I don't like the red cross when you shoot at ennemies, I hope it will be deactivable (the more options the better).

For those who don't like the demo, try to use hip fire, I find it much more satisfying than iron sight in this game (well it would be even more satisfying with an appropriate crosshair :D).

R3 will certainly be my 6th (and maybe not last !) Insomniac game of the gen, that's just crazy !!!

lunlunqq

Where the hell is this demo? I've created a Taiwan account as well as a Singapore account. Couldn't find it anywhere in the stores.

MPW

NinjaFusion said:
Graphics:

People are saying it doesn’t look good? I’d love to know on what grounds? It’s perhaps not quite KZ 3, but it’s no dog either. It looks great – really evocative. Sure it doesn’t have the gritty realism you might be used to from the likes of COD. But in no way does it look bad. You could pick out individual elements such as the ice being a bit hokey. But overall it looks clean and more than a touch alluring. The step up from R2’s weird lighting and diabolical texturing is immense. Some of the incidental effects are great, the fog, the lens flare from the light on the boat and the way the enemies disintergrate from the shot gun were highlights for me. I’m sure none of them are technically cutting edge, but the level of polish makes them stand out. In general the art direction is a LOT more assured than the weird mix bag in the last game and it certainly no longer feels like they sold the farm to pay for SCALE, SCALE, SCALE.

Gameplay:

Feels smooth and crisp – certainly the feeling of control is a notch above the likes of killzone. It feelings pleasingly arcade-y in some respects. The revolver is damn cool and the shotgun is super-satisfying. Really looking forward to giving this a blast with PS Move too.

Sound:

Weapon effects seem to have the appropriate kick and the explosions are nice and throaty. I turned the sound up, not down, for the demo – a good sign. Hoping the music will no longer be MUZAK.

Overall:

This demo washed the bad taste of R2 away completely... I remember playing the R2 beta and thinking OMG i hope this is early... and the game came out barely changed. With this I’m thinking the complete opposite – give it to me now, it’s goooooood! Insomniacs, I salute thee. Next stop overstrike!!!

i remember giantbomb saying it looks like crap

StuBurns

Banned
MPW said:
i remember giantbomb saying it looks like crap
They still think it looks like crap, they said that about what was shown at the PS3 show. I think the demo looks really bad, but I don't know how old the build is, how far they've come etc. There's some static AI in there, some missing audio cues, it's not finished certainly.

Ashes

Banned
woolley said:
I think that the boat level would've just been easier to make a demo. With the Haven level people have so much more freedom to move around and that means more opportunities to run into major bugs. It would probably take less development time to make an on-rails section a demo because the can easily control what the player has access to.

I could be completely wrong but that's what make the most sense to me.

I think this one is for showing the atmosphere... But I could be wrong...

Totobeni said:
I don't blame them, they "lost it" after R:FOM, I think it's Sony fault, they should have hired another and actually good developers for Resistance 3 some guys who can actually make damn first person shooter that is not an utter mess like this piece of poop demo,SCEA should know after Resistance 2 abomination that Insomniac is a lost cause.

How is this Sony's fault? There aren't many good developers out there who aren't already working for something for other publishers. That said, the weapons don't feel as imaginative since Nate Fouts left.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Loudninja said:
The title music is so sad :(
Im on media blackout but goddamn it if i dont want to play this demo.
What should i do? :(

Fersis said:
Im on media blackout but goddamn it if i dont want to play this demo.
What should i do? :(

Play it.

It doesn't spoil any of the wider plot and is a marvelous taste of the game... play this and go back to your backout a happy man!

The only downside is it will make the wait terrible.

GO GO GO!

:D

Wait for the full game. The demo hints at some strong gameplay, but does a shitty job of DEMONSTRATING it. It's a freakin' shooting gallery ride.

BeeDog

revolverjgw said:
Wait for the full game. The demo hints at some strong gameplay, but does a shitty job of DEMONSTRATING it. It's a freakin' shooting gallery ride.

Agreed, and the very unpolished nature of the demo won't help you retain your hype for the finished product.

Loudninja

At the post conference hands-on event, we got to play the game in 2D on one of the kiosks and it seems as if Insomniac is running with an uncapped frame-rate. Indoors things seemed to be a buttery smooth 60FPS; outdoors, general performance is much closer to 30FPS. A closer look at the image seemed to suggest implementation of 2x MSAA, but with very inconsistent coverage. In common with previous Resistance titles, the game is v-synced.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-e3-sony

StuBurns

Banned
I know plenty of people on GAF who hate the even suggestion that 60fps isn't God, but I'd really prefer they lock it at 30 than have it be so variable depending on area. Fluctuation in framerate and this narrow FoV are going to have me playing with a bucket on hand at all times.

delta25

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
Three year break after R2 and people are saying the graphics are still disappointing? Man, I thought Insomniac would have figured out the PS3 architecture at this point, same way ND has. Doesn't sound like it though going by people's impressions. RotM was such a good game, too. How are they struggling to get back to that? Was it just luck the first time? I don't get it.

Needless to say, my expectations have now been severely lowered, but maybe that's a good thing.

The graphics are nowhere near as bad as what some people are making them out to be.

Loudninja

StuBurns said:
I know plenty of people on GAF who hate the even suggestion that 60fps isn't God, but I'd really prefer they lock it at 30 than have it be so variable depending on area. Fluctuation in framerate and this narrow FoV are going to have me playing with a bucket on hand at all times.
I dont think you going to be indoors that often.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
MalboroRed said:
How is this Sony's fault? There aren't many good developers out there who aren't already working for something for other publishers. That said, the weapons don't feel as imaginative since Nate Fouts left.

Well ...They should search harder for a better developer(Even SEGA got Gearbox, so why can't SCEA get someone decent), with the demo as bad as this garbage, Insomniac will definitely kill what left of Resistance brand and there will be no way for Sony to revive it after R3.

That said, the weapons don't feel as imaginative since Nate Fouts left

Wow, so that why even the guns in OverStrike CG trailers were copy and paste of R&C guns, man Insomniac is all over the place, I kinda feel sorry for them.

StuBurns

Banned
Sony shouldn't even be making FPSs, they have CoD, Battlefield, Respawn's game and they have Bungie now, there is no room for an additional AAA shooter franchise, and they certainly don't need to be trying to make two with Resistance and Killzone.

Put that effort into making 3D platformers or RPGs or something.

Ashes

Banned
Totobeni said:
Well ...They should search harder for a better developer(Even SEGA got Gearbox, so why can't SCEA get someone decent), with the demo as bad as this garbage, Insomniac will definitely kill what left of Resistance brand and there will be no way for Sony to revive it after R3.

Lol. Are you for real? Have you seen their metacritic scores? How many titles have they released for the ps3 now? dear me, if only I had a horse in my stable that could churn out a title every year. And had one of the best launch titles on the console. And if it were not gaf upsetting them or something, they would not have taken a rest last year niether.

Shurs

delta25 said:
The graphics are nowhere near as bad as what some people are making them out to be.

Aliasing, shimmering, rough textures for most of the stuff inside of the boat. You remember those bad looking cars from Resistance 2? They're here.

As JStevenson said, it's an early build, but there's nothing in this demo that I'd call impressive.

Loudninja

Razor 81 said:
When you shoot the magnum there is a red bar on the side of the gun going up, anyone care to explain what it's for?
Hit R2 and you will set off the charges thats the number of charges that are active.

Top Bottom