• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Fractured but Whole |OT| Asses of Fire Emblem

Ooccoo

How is the ps4 version of sot for those who got it?

Perfect so far. There was a lot of screen tearing with SOT on Xbox 360 so I'm glad the game is very fluid. However, there are more loading times (pretty fast ones) this time.

I'm at about 14 hours in. The game is pretty solid, but there are things I liked better in SOT. I'm not really a fan of the Yaoi pictures, Chinpokomon was better. Also, taking selfies isn't as interesting as completing special quests to befriend characters from the show.

I like how some battles have twists and special objectives. But I think it's too easy, I'm on Mastermind and honestly it's a cakewalk. Also, I thought they'd get rid of scaling, but no, if you fight 6th graders or others as you level up, they do to. Should have just changed to other mobs or thrown something new into the mix.

I also noticed the cinema is way less fun this time. It's like they didn't even try. You could have been able to watch little cutscenes or something. Also, I think they should have included DVDs/VHS around town letting you watch parts from the show in your room or something. I feel there's a huge, untapped potentiel there.

jrcbandit

They likely don't have clips from the show because of the exclusivity deal with Hulu.

The summons seem pretty weak in the game. When you get access to more heroes later in the game, too many of them have summoning moves, making me not want to use them.

'Heaven Sniper

Neo Member
I'm far enough in the game where I have two Timefart abilities, glitch and pause. When I try to do Timefart glitch in the overworld or during battle, it doesn't work. Timefart pause works just fine. Am I missing something? I'm trying to rotate the sticks like it says but nothing's happening. Anyone else run into this issue?

'Heaven Sniper

Neo Member
I'm far enough in the game where I have two Timefart abilities, glitch and pause. When I try to do Timefart glitch in the overworld or during battle, it doesn't work. Timefart pause works just fine. Am I missing something? I'm trying to rotate the sticks like it says but nothing's happening. Anyone else run into this issue?

Figured it out. Turns out you have to push both sticks to the left to activate the glitch. The motion in the prompt looks like you have to rotate them. Hope this helps!

HiiiLife

Figured it out. Turns out you have to push both sticks to the left to activate the glitch. The motion in the prompt looks like you have to rotate them. Hope this helps!

You probably confused the logo with the yellow arrowheads. The spinning line just represents it rewinds. The pause seems useless in fights though.

Played about 6 hours yesterday, wow what a great game! So many amazing details..the combat is a lot better than in Stick of Truth too from what Ive played of that.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Just beat it.

Pretty god damn good. I hope these guys keep making these every few years. They really nailed it this time.

Ravelle

Played up to where you get your second powerset, what a fantastic game! Everything is so much more polished than the first one. The writing seems way more natural and less forced too.

Mendrox

I imagine this is completely inappropriate for an 8 year old? My son would love it just because it's an RPG

...except it's South Park...

Dunno. Anyone around me watched it back then and we were all around 9 and 10. Stayed up pretty late to catch it on German TV RTL lol After a few years the show was shown every evening and sometimes midday on Viva.

Mendrox

It might just be my memory but I remember the first seasons of the show being a lot more child friendly than this game.

South Park was always hardcore. Imo even more in the first 10 seasons.

E.g. Episode 7 Season 1

"Pinkeye" is the seventh episode in the first season of the American animated television series South Park. It originally aired on Comedy Central in the United States on October 29, 1997. In "Pinkeye", Kenny is killed and, through a freak accident, he is brought back to life as a zombie and starts terrorizing South Park residents, who believe the rise of the living dead is an epidemic of "pinkeye".

The episode introduced the recurring character Principal Victoria when Cartman dresses as Adolf Hitler. Victoria removes Cartman's costume and attempts to dress him as a ghost, but inadvertently makes Cartman resemble a member of the Ku Klux Klan. The costumes initially worried Comedy Central executives, but the negative feedback received was minimal.

Ehm... Also Kenny gets killed in almost every episode till Season 5 (?)

Floody

It might just be my memory but I remember the first seasons of the show being a lot more child friendly than this game.

Doesn't the first season of South Park have Cartman get kidnapped and anal probed by Aliens? It's always been pretty fucked up.

Raxious

Got the platinum trophy after 19,5 hours. Although the game was 'alright', didn't feel as great as Stick of Truth did.

- I feel a lot of the jokes just aren't funny. It's as though they're trying to force as many jokes into the game as they can which just doesn't work.

- The world feels empty, it's as though the world from Stick of Truth felt a lot more alive. I always had quests in my quest log, whereas here, either they're just hidden, or there aren't a whole lot of em.

- The fact that they took out the gear and gave us Might just doesn't work. The gear always showed progression in your damage output, whereas Might feels as though it does nothing. I ended up with 811 Might, and most of my abilities only ended up doing 20 damage more then they did when I just started.

- I ran into quite a few issues with the game. I had a black screen show up after a cinematic which could be fixed by going into the menu, but I've also encountered quite a few problems during battles. When some of the bigger enemies would get on top of my own characters, they'd end up getting stuck resulting in the enemy not doing anything as it's trying to target a character it can't reach. This would either create an infinite loop where the game would get stuck in the enemies turn and I'd had to reload a checkpoint, or it would fix itself by bringing in a different character close to the enemy for it to target.

I've also had a few moments where I defeated the enemy and the game just doesn't progress further, as if it's unable to load the cinematic or whatever ought to happen. (Happened a lot during the
mutant nephew
boss fight.)

- Although I played on Mastermind the game was still way too easy. Never had a moment where I thought i was going to die.

Overal if I'd give this game a low 7/10. Would not recommend this game for the full price.

c1d

Got the platinum trophy after 19,5 hours. Although the game was 'alright', didn't feel as great as Stick of Truth did.

- I feel a lot of the jokes just aren't funny. It's as though they're trying to force as many jokes into the game as they can which just doesn't work.

- The world feels empty, it's as though the world from Stick of Truth felt a lot more alive. I always had quests in my quest log, whereas here, either they're just hidden, or there aren't a whole lot of em.

- The fact that they took out the gear and gave us Might just doesn't work. The gear always showed progression in your damage output, whereas Might feels as though it does nothing. I ended up with 811 Might, and most of my abilities only ended up doing 20 damage more then they did when I just started.

- I ran into quite a few issues with the game. I had a black screen show up after a cinematic which could be fixed by going into the menu, but I've also encountered quite a few problems during battles. When some of the bigger enemies would get on top of my own characters, they'd end up getting stuck resulting in the enemy not doing anything as it's trying to target a character it can't reach. This would either create an infinite loop where the game would get stuck in the enemies turn and I'd had to reload a checkpoint, or it would fix itself by bringing in a different character close to the enemy for it to target.

I've also had a few moments where I defeated the enemy and the game just doesn't progress further, as if it's unable to load the cinematic or whatever ought to happen. (Happened a lot during the
mutant nephew
boss fight.)

- Although I played on Mastermind the game was still way too easy. Never had a moment where I thought i was going to die.

Overal if I'd give this game a low 7/10. Would not recommend this game for the full price.
Thanks for the review, hit a few points I was worried about so I think I'll end up waiting for a sale, cheers!

RPGCrazied

Finally getting it today. So whats the consensus? Is it as good as Stick of Truth? Worse?

Its the game longer or shorter?

Stuart444

Although I played on Mastermind the game was still way too easy. Never had a moment where I thought i was going to die.

I must be pretty bad at the game then considering I've had several incidents of almost being wiped and so far one boss has caused 2 or so wipes.
Boss in the Police Station.
If you don't have the right abilities, you'll get wiped by the one shot attack. If your character dies, that's it and my character had no moves to get out of it quickly when surrounded. I sorted that out with the Assassin swap move thankfully but it was still annoying >_<

I'm on Heroic as well.

If you don't know what boss you're going up again and what powers may work well (or you have a lack of items), that can affect the difficulty and how easy battles are so /shrug

Does any of this affect dialogue or gameplay at all? I assume at least the character would be weaker to Ninjas, but is there anything else?

Well I'm a female and it has been mentioned or hinted at throughout the game by your parents, by one of the heroes when the first pop up to save you and the others have said a few times that they can't tell if I'm a boy or a girl. (and perhaps one or two other comments like that)

Also stuff like Race was brought up once by my parents at night, like I chose Scot and our dad I think pops their head in and goes "We're proud Scots" (one time they wrote this with two Ts, for shame >_> before that, they had consistently used it with one T)

Finally getting it today. So whats the consensus? Is it as good as Stick of Truth? Worse?

Doesn't seem like there is a consensus yet, some say it's better, some say it's worse/not as good as Stick of Truth.

It is longer though.

phant0m

I would say as good, not better, not worse. Each have their strengths. I like the grid-based combat much more in FbW, but the overall game design and story more in SoT. Voice work and humor is top notch in both.

Would recommend at Prime/GCU price (47.99)

Stuart444

I just had my first bug that forced a reload, went down a ladder, and at the bottom, it just the animation locked and it looked like it was still trying to go down and no other button would work outside of pause (which allowed me to reload)

Thankfully it autosaves every new screen.

The game is a lot more buggier than Stick of Truth was, I think we all can mostly agree on that.

Anyone else playing speedster? I sort of want to start over because I feel like I do the same stuff as Jimmy.
You can change classes at any time by sitting down with Cartman.
Not sure if this is available right off the bat but you should be able to change after you get your second class.

Flipside

Which seasons should I watch to get the most out of this game (references to the series etc.)? Except for a few random episodes, I haven't watched the series in a while so it seems like a good idea to catch up before starting my first playthrough.

Which seasons should I watch to get the most out of this game (references to the series etc.)? Except for a few random episodes, I haven't watched the series in a while so it seems like a good idea to catch up before starting my first playthrough.

Only the coon & friends episodes and there are only like 4 or 5 of them :)

Just had a weird bug in battle where I used my character's ultimate ability, then everything stopped. The characters still played their idle animations, but the HUD disappeared and no buttons did anything. Almost like it was loading something, but it just hung there. Only thing I could do was pause and restart from the last checkpoint which sucked, but ah well.

Stuart444

Ok so near-end game spoiler:

Just gone back in time and we see a snapshot of our character from before I modified their hair/etc (I changed her hair a little after the start of the game) all the way back at the beginning of the game. Found it awesome to see. Also those Christmas Critters continue to freak me out.

Hahaha:

"It appears you are in an alternative timeline. Coonstagram does not yet support activity feeds from multiple time streams"

so I ordered the PC physical edition on amazon and they completely failed to get it to me, making me accept something that says I'm cool with it send it when its available.

It irked me and I planned on complaining about it to try and get some free time added to my Prime, but I wasn't in a hurry regardless since I have a million things to play.

Today though unprovoked I get an apology email with a code for the full game digital on uplay with them saying they will still send me the physical copy later.

So uh, 2 copies for the price of one, minus prime discount.

Ooccoo

There's a pretty annoying bug in the ruins near sodosopa

If you use farkour to reach the top of the building then go back, you won't see the prompt to do so and you are stuck there. I had to go back to fetch one of Big Gay Al's cat, but the bug had me reload.

Ooccoo

So how do you engage the fight with
Morgan Freeman?
I hit him but nothing happens, is it bugged?

I thought it was a joke about him being
god
in of his movies, but maybe there's something I'm missing too, hit him like 10+ times and it did nothing.

saunderez

So how do you engage the fight with
Morgan Freeman?
I hit him but nothing happens, is it bugged?

I only had to
go behind the counter and hit him 3 times and he strolled out and proceeded to destroy my whole team in a single move. Maybe you have to have a certain level of might or have a certain number of team members for it to trigger.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Anyone know if Stick of Truth is getting a standalone release on PS4? Or is this only for owners of Fractured But Whole? I can't find Stick of Truth as standalone in the store for some reason...

ChazGW7

I just realised 'But Whole' is a play on 'butthole'

giphy.gif

ya don't say

I only had to
go behind the counter and hit him 3 times and he strolled out and proceeded to destroy my whole team in a single move. Maybe you have to have a certain level of might or have a certain number of team members for it to trigger.

I am might level 800+ and have finished the main quest, was the same prior to finishing main quest too. He just says "ouch" when i hit him and when i watch some youtube video of it he says "watch it" and so on when you hit him. Seems bugged to me.

Stuart444

Okay so completed it.

End-game spoilers:

Everything from the Mutant section to the end was hilarious. I was dying from laughter with some of the stuff near the end, traveling back in time, fighting the stick of truth guys, taking a selfie with yourself oh and the bit at the end with Butters and how your dad always fucked your mum.

I did think the ending pre-credits was a little sudden. I also wished we could have said "Screw you guys, I'm going home" again, just because they kept blaming us for everything

I do think the story was a lot more focused? I guess in this more than in the Stick of Truth.

I also LOVE the fact that costumes are just that, cosmetic. Means I don't need to change my look just to up my stats.

Complaints:

1. It feels like there is a lot less side quests than in Stick of Truth

2. You are restricted a lot more from wandering around due to hazards that you need buddies for.

3. The fact that
The others kept blaming us a lot near the end for everything.
Ever since the whole "New Kid is an asshole" after the whole betrayal incident.
I just wanted our character to tell the others "Fuck off" multiple times but silent protag and all
. (spoilers for certain stuff but to sum up what I said, I wish we weren't a silent protag so we could tell some of the others to fuck off at certain times throughout the game)

4. We didn't get to
go to Canada and there wasn't any Canadians at all outside of the vending machine... idk, just disappointed me

5. Both a complaint and a not-complaint. Namely, the fight battle was too easy but at the same time, it felt more like a bonus battle after the ones we went through previously. I'm not to bothered by it but some might be. (final boss spoilers):
The King battle was pretty epic feeling so I was satisfied by it but people might have preferred the final final battle against "Mitch" to be tougher

6. Humour during the early part of the game is hit or miss. I laughed a lot but most of it was from the second half of the game.

7. I wish we could have blocked during battles instead of the X to up ultimate meter thing.

8. It's a lot more buggy than Stick of Truth was

All in all, I can't say this is better or worse than stick of truth. Both have their ups and downs. I would recommend playing both if you're a South Park fan though.

I know it looks like I have a lot of complaints but honestly, I really freaking enjoyed the game. It was a lot of fun and I hope to see another one in a few years.

Stuart444

Really? Anyone else didn't realize it was "butthole" all along?

I remember seeing an video with the creators talking about how they were told "The Buttwhole of time" wouldn't be allowed so when working on a new title, one went "Buttwhole" a lot until they got to "But Whole" lol.

Really? Anyone else didn't realize it was "butthole" all along?

I mean how do you even manage to not realize it, maybe if you dont understand english and word play very well. But even some one who isnt native in english like me got it the first time i saw the title when it was announced.

The microaggression mechanic is hilarious as well.

Top Bottom