• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Ships 4 Million Copies Worldwide (At 500K/2M FY goal by March 2018)

Jawmuncher

Wasn't RE6 shit? Then, good.

Even if it didn't hit that original forecast it's still selling good with it's recent re-release.
First RE port this gen (Not counting the new HD ports of REmake and 0) to hit a million + copies. So for such a "shit" game as you say, apparently enough people still want to buy it and play what it has to offer.

Dunno why RE6 always gets equated to some sort of Dino Crisis 3 fiasco where it was a bad game AND didn't sell well. At worst RE6 is a middling game that didn't sell as well as capcom wanted but has proven itself that there is a decent amount of fans who want that sort of style to continue in some form.

Thankfully capcom seems to know that between Vendetta and one of the RE titles in dev (Either RE2make or the third unknown title) being action oriented.

Also it only missed it's 7 million goal by 200K. Could potentially be closer since they only update every report and every 100K.
Resident Evil 6
Release : Oct 2012
Platform : PS3, Xbox 360, DL
Units : 6.8 million units

silva1991

Deserved and I hope it continues to sell alot more. best thing happened to this series since RE4.

I hope RE8 is exactly like 7, but with third person camera and known protagonist

It's time for Barry to shine in a mainline game.

1895220-barryburton.jpg

CLEEK

My three favourite RE games are RE2, RE4 and RE7, so I've enjoyed each of the three game styles. I would be more than happy if RE7 is the start of a first person trilogy. Plus the more people who get to experience RE in VR, the better. It's truly a mind blowing experience.

The RE Revelations games tick the "Action RE" box for me, so I don't see any pressing need for the mainline games to revert back to that style of RE5/6 any time soon.

Shifty

It's mostly Madhouse sounds really cool, but having to play the game an second time to get to the part I really want to see suck the excitement out of it.
It doesn't help that I rarely replay games unless I really, really like them.

I think you should ask yourself what this 'part you really want to see' actually is.

Because your first few posts make it sound like you're disappointed over 'hard mode' being a conscious remixing of the game rather than the lazy standard fare of weaker player character + spongier enemies.

What's to say the base game experience won't satisfy your desire for challenge just as well as this hypothetical hard mode that you want to see? Normal mode is plenty difficult.

It's time for Barry to shine in a mainline game

YES

RevenWolf

My three favourite RE games are RE2, RE4 and RE7, so I've enjoyed each of the three game styles. I would be more than happy if RE7 is the start of a first person trilogy. Plus the more people who get to experience RE in VR, the better. It's truly a mind blowing experience.

The RE Revelations games tick the "Action RE" box for me, so I don't see any pressing need for the mainline games to revert back to that style of RE5/6 any time soon.

Honestly I feel that if they keep doing cycles it would be best for the series. It started with the slow third person style for three games. Then three games with the heavy action emphasis.

I think 2 more of the first person slow horror style and then switching to something entirely different could work.

I feel i helps keep the series fresh and avoids getting stuck in a rut. Also so far every time they've switched style they've pulled it off incredibly well so I don't see why that should stop.

Jawmuncher

I don't think another Action RE title needs to be mainline. But it definitely needs more of a budget than either Rev 2 or Umbrella Corps had. Aside from that though i'm in the camp that disagrees about Revelations 1 or 2 carrying the action banner. Maybe if we're talking just Raid where the elements stick out most. But their campaign structure is a far cry from the blend RE4 presented in offering both or the extra action that RE5 and RE6 excelled at.

IMO, with the mainline back to horror more than likely. Whatever is next for a spinoff should just embrace the action. That's not to say it can't have atmosphere and such. But trying to do a middle ground of elements to please both camps I don't think is what capcom should go for from here on out. At least not in the main campaigns themselves. Something like Not a Hero where a DLC gives a different experience style would be fine though. Basically they should be aiming for a good action game first and then go for the rest. Since that's what I feel RE4 is.

synce

Hmm, RE6 sold millions more copies, yet I get the impression 7 was way more profitable so I'd hardly call it a flop. On that note, would it really kill Capcom to make another classic survival horror game? Give it a low budget, I don't care, I'm sure there's a market of old gamers that would eat it up. RE7's title could've been changed to anything else and no one would assume it's in the same series

Capcom responds with : “Our projections were closer to 10+ million. We will be putting the franchise on the back burner to figure out how we can get in touch with our roots again.”

Jawmuncher

Hmm, RE6 sold millions more copies, yet I get the impression 7 was way more profitable so I'd hardly call it a flop. On that note, would it really kill Capcom to make another classic survival horror game? Give it a low budget, I don't care, I'm sure there's a market of old gamers that would eat it up. RE7's title could've been changed to anything else and no one would assume it's in the same series

This is a weird post because it's all over the place despite being right in some regards.

Capcom making a straight up classic RE (Fixed Camera and all) I don't see happening. Even with a cheap budget. Yeah there's RE2make on the horizon but we still don't know the scale of that game. Could be they took the sales of REmake and RE0 more as "people want to revisit the old game time periods" rather than "people want this exact gameplay still". Since depending on budget it could be something more akin to FF7R. I do think if they ever straight up attempted a classic RE style w/ fixed camera and all it would definitely be something with a cheaper budget. Much like how Rev 2 was.

As for you second post I agree. With the shift in perspective and towards more realistic style. It definitely can easily be ignored as a RE game until the final moments if you're not up on your lore. Which is a benefit or a detriment depending on where you're sitting from. I'm in the camp where I felt it kinda hurt it. They could've done a lot better fitting it in throughout the game rather than just going with some light references. I'm assuming it was intentional though much like with RE4. Since even with that games better ties to the series as a whole the product itself is very standalone.

Capcom responds with : “Our projections were closer to 10+ million. We will be putting the franchise on the back burner to figure out how we can get in touch with our roots again.”
If Capcom puts RE on the backburner they'll having nothing left but Monster Hunter. And that's not enough to sustain the company

JDdelphin

I wouldn't say RE7 is overtly scary, but I actually thought the middle section of the game was the scariest part of the game, not the beginning.

Middle of the game spoilers:
The house battle with Marguerite followed by entering the attic/children's area.

Scariness is subjective, but I thought that was the 'highlight' of the game in terms of how scary it got.

I like how it naturally hits on a lot of scary 'hot buttons' it manages to wrangle in a really nice rainbow of various things that creep people out and sets them up naturally.
Like -if this part doesn't creep you, chances are there's a part coming up that will.
Not just jumpscare bits either- they just did such a good job with the vibes I'm glad the game is still doing well.

My favorite RE game (although I've yet to complete 2 and 3).

Deserves way more sales. Hopefully the holidays are good for it, but I highly doubt it'll meet Capcom's expectations for the FY.

Um... I still don't know what you're trying to say here. I assume you're saying that Capcom's word is gospel in all situations?

It's very different from RE6. RE7 hit its target 6 months later than Capcom anticipated. The game is actually showing similar signs of legs as past RE games, relative to its expectations.

RE6, meanwhile, still hasn't sold its initial forecast of 7 million copies over 5 years later. It's hit that mark if you count the HD versions, but that wasn't part of Capcom's original target.

I guess only you magically always have problem understanding what i say then i will help you and make it too straightforward , Yes you want to imply words like "Vague" " PR Talk" " just one man" " Out of context" "Small man in small office" when i post any direct source from capcom because they don't prove your point ........ but you don't imply the same with things you post from Capcom or even things without valid source because they prove your point , you take a random twitter post or a random thought that proves your point more valid and clear than a statement directly from capcom that doesn't prove your point and you label any example outside capcom with similar cases as irrelevant while at the same time you want us to take your thoughts and words as a fact even thought you aren't a capcom employee so your talk is irrelevant going by your own logic

.............. ok , guess you don't like sources as everybody else , RE6 hit its 5M Target at its time , Revised or not , no company puts a target at a loss or not at their satisfaction , they overestimated the target and then lower it to normal levels , Also RE7 hit its low target after 9 months after release not 6 months , check the date of this thread and the game release if you don't believe me , it was 3.7M 6 months later and here is a link .... oh wait I'm afraid that if i posted a link then you will say it was a PR talk and it was 4M in disguise but for some reason normal people won't understand they didn't reveal it at the time

Also RE6 don't have DLCs or a Gold Edition while RE7 had a gold edition 11 months after release , if you want to erase the remaster of RE6 then at the other side erase the gold edition of RE7 then do the math

I bought 7 day one and it was my last push to upgrade from my good old 270X to a 1060.
It's kinda sad how little it sold compared to how much better it is, the previous entries.

lupinko

I guess only you magically always have problem understanding what i say then i will help you and make it too straightforward , Yes thats you want to imply when i post any direct source from capcom because they don't prove your point ........ but you don't imply the same with things you post from Capcom or even things without valid source because they prove your point , you take a random twitter post or a random thought that proves your point more valid and clear than a statement directly from capcom that doesn't prove your point

.............. ok , guess you don't like sources as everybody else , RE6 hit its 5M Target at its time , Revised or not , no company puts a target at a loss or not at their satisfaction , they overestimated the target and then lower it to normal levels , Also RE7 hit its low target after 9 months after release not 6 months , check the date of this thread and the game release if you don't believe me , it was 3.7M 6 months later and here is a link .... oh wait I'm afraid that if i posted a link then you will say it was a PR talk and it was 4M in disguise but for some reason normal people won't understand they didn't reveal it at the time

Also RE6 don't have DLCs or a Gold Edition while RE7 had a gold edition 11 months after release , if you want to erase the remaster of RE6 then at the other side erase the gold edition of RE7 then do the math

RE6 had a lot of dlc, what are you talking about?

Taggen86

How much did the game cost to produce compared to 5 and 6? If the production costs was lower for the game it might be seen as a success even though it sold less. I bet their costs for 6 was higher given how large that game was.

How much did the game cost to produce compared to 5 and 6? If the production costs was lower for the game it might be seen as a success even though it sold less. I bet 6 cost s lost to make given how large that game is.

For development , No one knows but Capcom , From the look of it it looks lower but by how much ?

As for marketing budget , then Resident Evil 7 Marketing director says that RE6 and RE7 are pretty similar

https://www.videogamer.com/news/cap...-or-10s-but-im-sure-well-see-a-few-8s-as-well

Koyuga

Deserved, and I hope it sells a few million more. I wouldn't mind seeing this game on other platforms to come. After seeing DOOM and Wolfenstein scaled down to run on Switch, I wonder if RE7 could be possible on it? Would be great to boost the sales a bit. I just love this game a whole lot.

Sayad

Deserved, and I hope it sells a few million more. I wouldn't mind seeing this game on other platforms to come. After seeing DOOM and Wolfenstein scaled down to run on Switch, I wonder if RE7 could be possible on it? Would be great to boost the sales a bit. I just love this game a whole lot.
Probably yea, and it would suffer less from a framerate downgrade than Doom and Wolfenstein would.

lupinko

Did it have anything like " Not a hero " , " End of Zoe" , " Separate ways " , " Lost in nightmares " , " Banned footages " ? Only multiplayer modes and some mercenaries maps

RE6's focus was multiplayer, hence the dlc being all that. Stop moving goalposts.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
No one knows but Capcom , From the look of it it looks lower but by how much ?

As for marketing budget , then Resident Evil 7 Marketing director says that RE6 and RE7 are pretty similar

https://www.videogamer.com/news/cap...-or-10s-but-im-sure-well-see-a-few-8s-as-well

I would be very careful with wording from anything Capcom UK related. I've been there personally in their offices and the marketing and related division (was there a few years back with a game related press preview playing Resident Evil 5 before release) and the communication between offices and that then don't really inspire confidence of having full details and understanding. It's weak.

"pretty similar" could be marketing budget for this country and promotion wise here wasn't really much to be seen here outside a few outlets and some dodgy cheap social advertising. They would be focused local and not international with their preview related events.

He's the Marketing director for UK and Europe and doesn't speak for overall divisions on a international scale.

- Direct management of the EMEA / UK PR, marketing and community teams
- Marketing management and coordination of all local European marketing teams including Capcom offices and distributors across EMEA & ANZ markets
- Oversee execution all UK advertising, PR, trade, community, CRM, events and social media activity, including creative sign off and media planning
- Marketing budget responsibility across all Capcom IPs

The people associated to these related articles and said points from where the dialogue is coming from doesn't give me confidence to take it factual outside from the horses mouth. I.E Capcom Japans fiscal results and official statements.

That has always been the usual forefront for years with them. It's not good going tunnel vision with specific regions and associating their wording as gospel and facts when you look at all the evidence and Capcom Japan official press and finance as the status quo factually.

I guess only you magically always have problem understanding what i say then i will help you and make it too straightforward , Yes you want to imply words like "Vague" " PR Talk" " just one man" " Out of context" "Small man in small office" when i post any direct source from capcom because they don't prove your point ........ but you don't imply the same with things you post from Capcom or even things without valid source because they prove your point , you take a random twitter post or a random thought that proves your point more valid and clear than a statement directly from capcom that doesn't prove your point and you label any example outside capcom with similar cases as irrelevant while at the same time you want us to take your thoughts and words as a fact even thought you aren't a capcom employee so your talk is irrelevant going by your own logic

cvxfreak knows what he is talking about. He's been around a long time and wouldn't fabricate any false pretenses with the company and the facts and statements that are out there with Capcom Japan . I have provided you some insight and logic from Capcom UK and how they focus on domestic and not international views. You can't take interviews as full grasp because of translation and other factors to consider.

Context is for kings.

RE6's focus was multiplayer, hence the dlc being all that. Stop moving goalposts.

?

4 Full Campaigns and the focus is on multiplayer ,Yea Sure thing

I would be very careful with wording from anything Capcom UK related. I've been there personally in their offices and the marketing and related division (was there a few years back with a game related press preview playing Resident Evil 5 before release) and the communication between offices and that then don't really inspire confidence of having full details and understanding. It's weak.

"pretty similar" could be marketing budget for this country and promotion wise here wasn't really much to be seen here outside a few outlets and some dodgy cheap social advertising. They would be focused local and not international with their preview related events.

He's the Marketing director for UK and Europe and doesn't speak for overall divisions on a international scale.

The people associated to these related articles and said points from where the dialogue is coming from doesn't give me confidence to take it factual outside from the horses mouth. I.E Capcom Japans fiscal results and official statements.

That has always been the usual forefront for years with them. It's not good going tunnel vision with specific regions and associating their wording as gospel and facts when you look at all the evidence and Capcom Japan official press and finance as the status quo factually.

I will play along and pretend he is talking only about the UK Branch or EMEA/ANZ at most ( Although nothing in the article says that ) , That Still makes the only Official Word said from Capcom is that the UK marketing budget for RE7 is the same or even higher than RE6 , and Still other than that , we don't have any Official direct budget comparison between RE6 and RE7 either in development budget or non-UK marketing

And All what I was doing since the beginning is posting Official Capcom statements either in Press or Interviews , but I get countered with Random Twitter posts and Random thoughts and " Common Sense "

So by your logics ,any Non-JP Person in Capcom is nearly non-existant and doesn't know what they are saying and Capcom doesn't mind them telling False information and they employ them out of charity ?

cvxfreak knows what he is talking about. He's been around a long time and wouldn't fabricate any false pretenses with the company and the facts and statements that are out there with Capcom Japan . I have provided you some insight and logic from Capcom UK and how they focus on domestic and not international views. You can't take interviews as full grasp because of translation and other factors to consider.

Context is for kings.

So ? I am sorry to say this With All Respect to him , Shall I believe a non-Capcom person and discredit the Official Capcom statements whether in Press releases or interviews ?

Deserved and I hope it continues to sell alot more. best thing happened to this series since RE4.

I hope RE8 is exactly like 7, but with third person camera and known protagonist

Revelations 2 is more mainline to me than 5 and 6.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
?

So by your logics ,any Non-JP Person in Capcom is nearly non-existant and doesn't know what they are saying and Capcom doesn't mind them telling False information and they employ them out of charity ?

From your understanding how do you think Capcom operate to you from its organization as a whole? Because I can tell you right now that Capcom Japan is in charge and has final say on their course of action with the company and where their projects go and timing with this. Capcom USA and Europe are imported to their related geographic locations. They make sure they have the best throughput of making their games sell as much as possible. I know from past people that worked in Capcom USA they would video conference all over and listen to what Capcom Japan directs and liaises with the others with on matters that can affect their product.

So ? I am sorry to say this With All Respect to him , Shall I believe a non-Capcom person and discredit the Official Capcom statements whether in Press releases or interviews ?

You're putting words in my mouth. Read my response again and how I point to Capcom Japan on their fiscal comments and press statements . The logistics here is the most fundamental part and how they act and respond upon good sales and reception.

Look at the pattern in all their history and how they act and treat success. cvxfreak has provided plenty enough examples with evidence on the core issue on this mundane argument with what I have explained above.

We have had experience involved with Capcom on a personal level and seen some of how they operate and work from past products with this brand. There's a good history on how they act and work in combination with everything to use a fair bit of common sense with everything to combine with what has been said about 6 and 7 in this thread already.

I am not going to keep repeating myself and running in circles here with what's already been said and done. This is just grasping at straws.

From your understanding how do you think Capcom operate to you from its organization as a whole? Because I can tell you right now that Capcom Japan is in charge and has final say on their course of action with the company and where their projects go and timing with this. Capcom USA and Europe are imported to their related geographic locations. They make sure they have the best throughput of making their games sell as much as possible. I know from past people that worked in Capcom USA they would video conference all over and listen to what Capcom Japan directs and liaises with the others with on matters that can affect their product.

So at the end of the day , Can Capcom UK say any information from their minds without Capcom Japan Giving them this information ?

You're putting words in my mouth. Read my response again and how I point to Capcom Japan on their fiscal comments and press statements . The logistics here is the most fundamental part and how they act and respond upon good sales and reception.

Look at the pattern in all their history and how they act and treat success. cvxfreak has provided plenty enough examples with evidence on the core issue on this mundane argument with what I have explained above.

I am not going to keep repeating myself and running in circles here with what's already been said and done. This is just grasping at straws.

I didn't mean you in person , I was replying in general on several occasions that happened where what I said about believing non-Capcom person and discredit Capcom or downgrade what they said officially even in interviews , For example Kawata saying RE6 is a success suddenly became a " PR Talk"

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
So at the end of the day , Can Capcom UK say any information from their minds without Capcom Japan Giving them this information ?

Capcom USA and Europe can talk and give feedback based upon data from their respected locations to make sure their products sell as best as possible and pass it onto whoever is managing said project. You have your usual business divisions with HR, PR and related that will get involved to make sure everything goes fine (common sense). Capcom top honcho and senior management (and I mean this in the important of terms) are mainly based in their Japan counterpart and have the final shot and do whatever feels best to them.

I can't say if anyone in USA or Europe has any weight among with any senior members in Japan to help make any significant changes. I don't work for them and not going to be arrogant or foolish to say otherwise that I know their business operations and related now outside the little snippets I have heard and been told. I don't work for them and only know of some people who did a few years back.

Capcom (Japan) has to answer to their share holders and investors as a public company and over the past few years (especially this generation) they've been very careful on budgets and their costings to try and get the most profit they can from their best and successful IPs as cheap and risk free as possible (publishing deals and exclusivity, staff allocation, endless ports you name it). This generation they have had some major cock ups with what they could have got revenue wise if they played their cards smart but that's Capcom for you.

I didn't mean you in person , I was replying in general on several occasions that happened where what I said about believing non-Capcom person and discredit Capcom or downgrade what they said officially even in interviews , For example Kawata saying RE6 is a success suddenly became a " PR Talk"

Resident Evil 6 become a successful title for their catalogue. It doesn't mean that it was the "success" Capcom seniors and shareholders vision and wanted with this brand (failed growth and its lukewarm reception plus net revenue). When you look at how they had responded and acted from its year release with its fiscal statements and initial post interviews, they saw fit to for its next mainline title to enter another paradigm shift.

This was their reaction.

Kazuhira

They should let you switch between views tbh,there're tps that already do this like MGS4/V.
I really like the first person view from 7 though,you really have search the area for resources instead of just looking for shiny objects.
I can't believe how many times i've missed ammo and herbs,they're very well hidden sometimes.

Top Bottom