• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever tried Minoxidil for beard growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKasual

Banned
Be happy you are immune to razor bumps and embrace ya babyface. If you aren't balding, be happy you still grow hair on your head.

Although I can't be mad at balding because going completely bald is the easiest and cheapest it's ever been for me to look good. :)

Hydrus

FALSE. Stop spreading bad information. If you stop using it, all your hair you grew as a result of Rogaine will fall out. This is not an item that is debated - google it. You have to keep using it to keep the hair.

https://www.realself.com/question/boston-ga-true-stop-minoxidi-hair-fall

I'm talking about your BEARD growth. The hair that goes the grows on your head gets thin and falls out because of DHT. Your beard is not affected by DHT. If you stop using the minoxidil after the vellus hair has gone terminal you don't lose it. Your beard cant go bald.

Be happy you are immune to razor bumps and embrace ya babyface. If you aren't balding, be happy you still grow hair on your head.

Although I can't be mad at balding because going completely bald is the easiest and cheapest it's ever been for me to look good. :)

Lol. For the millionth time, I have facial hair. I want to use this to fill in the patchy areas that aren't growing in yet. I don't have a baby face or else I wouldn't even bother with this stuff. I'm tired of shaving, but also tired of not having a full beard.

There are 3 phases that facial hairs go through: vellus (thin/wispy), transitional (thicker), and terminal (permanent).

Vellus, almost for sure, and some transitional hairs will stop growing if you discontinue use, but terminal hairs will not.

Yeah but isn't facial hair based on genetics, and your genes determine which follicles are sensitive to androgens?

I feel like if you literally don't have the follicles there, it won't do shit except grow glorified peach fuzz. Maybe if you have the follicles and they just haven't been activated, it might work.

I'm pretty sure I simply don't have the follicles on most of my face. I'm 30 and it's baby smooth except for the fu Manchu area, which is quite common for a lot of Asians.

Jzero

I need something like this for my moustache, I have a full beard but the stache is a reverse Hitler at the moment.

jstripes

Banned
OP, I can reach your 6 month photo in 5 days.

(The only reason I have a beard now is because our power was out for 5 days, ice storm, no hot water to shave, and I decided my beard looked good.)

Yeah but isn't facial hair based on genetics, and your genes determine which follicles are sensitive to androgens?

I feel like if you literally don't have the follicles there, it won't do shit except grow glorified peach fuzz. Maybe if you have the follicles and they just haven't been activated, it might work.

I'm pretty sure I simply don't have the follicles on most of my face. I'm 30 and it's baby smooth except for the fu Manchu area, which is quite common for a lot of Asians.

Yes, if you don't have the follicles or they aren't receptive to DHT, then minoxidil won't help you. Essentially, minoxidil acts as an alarm clock to activate dormant follicles that your genes haven't "switched on" to grow hair. A lot of guys I have been watching using minoxidil have used supplements to increase their DHT production. But your genes are the determining factor on where you can get new growth.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The grass really is always greener.

Shaving is a hassle. I'd prefer not to grow facial hair.

Falchion

What the fuck.....? I look like his 6 month pictures if I don't shave for a week. I just usually vacillate between a little stubble and clean shaven since it suits my face well.

Seesaw15

Do you have no facial hair or just patchy growth? You can do what this guy did and just fill in the patches with eye shadow.
beauty-trends-blogs-daily-beauty-reporter-2016-03-07-beard-before.jpg

beauty-trends-blogs-daily-beauty-reporter-2016-03-07-beard.jpg

Hydrus

Do you have no facial hair or just patchy growth? You can do what this guy did and just fill in the patches with eye shadow.

I have hair, just patchy growth. If I don't shave it at least every other day, you can really notice all the empty patches with the stubble. Which is why I stopped shaving and just decided to grow it out and see if I can get it to fill in.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
They make steroids for your beard? I guess you learn something new every day.

Laieon

I've never tried growing a beard, but I bet after 6 months mine would look like "start". Takes me like 2 weeks to grow a pencil mustache.

Violet_0

Banned
it's cheap so hey, just try it. You have to apply it every day and can't stop, it doesn't work for many people and the resulting hair growth, if any, can be mighty unimpressive

Rayis

Many of you clearly don't know what its like to be so feminine you actually pass as a girl more than a man.
Do you want to trade bodies? Because I'd kill to have your curse, looking masculine is not all that, besides body hair is incredibly annoying.

RS4-

Lol that's how my beard looks at times, I'll try the eyeshadow thing.

But yeah, I'm Asian and in HS I had a moustache, and some hair on my chin. Eventually I could do the whole goatee thing. I don't even remember when I was able to actually grow a beard though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, this thread makes me feel really good about my beard. Been able to grow a beard since I was like, 19. Always been nice and bushy.

The only downside is that I lost the hair on the top of my head at 21 :(

Artanisix

I'm talking about your BEARD growth. The hair that goes the grows on your head gets thin and falls out because of DHT. Your beard is not affected by DHT. If you stop using the minoxidil after the vellus hair has gone terminal you don't lose it. Your beard cant go bald.

Lol. For the millionth time, I have facial hair. I want to use this to fill in the patchy areas that aren't growing in yet. I don't have a baby face or else I wouldn't even bother with this stuff. I'm tired of shaving, but also tired of not having a full beard.

seems like u already made up ur mind seeing as ur ignoring every single post talking about horrible health problems associated with rubbing minoxishit on your face so go for it bro

Man, this thread makes me feel really good about my beard. Been able to grow a beard since I was like, 19. Always been nice and bushy.

The only downside is that I lost the hair on the top of my head at 21 :(

Supposedly there is a link between balding and beard growth. Anecdotally, I couldn't grow a beard until I started balding.

iFirez

It's tough for me to grow a beard because for the first week it looks like this weird light fluff on my face due to being naturally ginger it comes through as really light blonde to begin with and then darkens. If I leave it for about a month I have a crazy neck beard and a thick moustache. I'd totally use this stuff to make it grow on my face at the same pace as my upper lip and neck though. I've also wanted to just leave it to grow for a year... but working in an office makes that tough... one day maybe!

Kyzer

Banned
I still look young af but im not gonna worry about it till im older. Just turned 26 and still cant fully connect the beard but Im gonna ride it out and look young, ill take it

I'm not seeing accelerated growth in the photos??? It'd be easier to give an accurate opinion if there were side-by-side comparisons between the both of them, but after the same length of time. Overall, it just seems like regular hair growth lol.

I have to take a trimmer to my beard once a week or else I look like a mountain man. Haven't actually been clean shaven in 7 years. I feel sorry for you guys who can't grow a beard, must suck to have to shave patchy stubble. I remember that when I was 16.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It'd be nice to not grow beard hair; never wanted facial hair.

why did they never come up with a Veet equivalent for beards? Surely there would be huge money to be made for that - I'd buy it in a shot to only have to remove every week or two, and no irritation from razor burn.

I find it difficult to comprehend someone that doesn't have a lot of facial hair and wanting it so badly that they'd turn to a drug for it.

Bit-Bit

Earlier this year I came upon this study. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02275832

I immediately bought a 6 months supply on amazon for about $30.

I've been using it for two months now.
-I'm 29 years old.
-I'm Asian.
-Last year I didn't shave for almost the whole year and only got hair on my upper lip, chin, and side burns.

After two months of applying minoxidil once a day I've got hair growth on my cheeks that I've never seen before. My chin hair and my upper lip hair finally connected visibly on both sides.

So I say keep doing it OP.

Kyzer

Banned
So umm OP

That thread. Looks like it was locked because moderators determined they couldnt remain neutral against monoxodil and do not recommend it?

Earlier this year I came upon this study. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02275832

I immediately bought a 6 months supply on amazon for about $30.

I've been using it for two months now.
-I'm 29 years old.
-I'm Asian.
-Last year I didn't shave for almost the whole year and only got hair on my upper lip, chin, and side burns.

After two months of applying minoxidil once a day I've got hair growth on my cheeks that I've never seen before. My chin hair and my upper lip hair finally connected visibly on both sides.

So I say keep doing it OP.

can anybody confirm this? Would be really nice if i could grow a real beard

MilkyJoe

maybe i will run the experiment. 35 here and can't grow shit. might be fun. only if there's little health risk to slathering it on my cheeks.

If it's not water, i wouldnt fuck with it.

I have more growth inn 4 or 5 days than that dues 2 - 3 months.

It'd be nice to not grow beard hair; never wanted facial hair.

Yeah i'm with you there. Shaving pre-6am is one of the shittiest of life's experiences.

I didn't bother today, so far no one has said anything

Bit-Bit

can anybody confirm this? Would be really nice if i could grow a real beard

I'm contemplating applying twice a day instead of my current once a day.

I've since looked at a bunch of youtubers who previously had facial hairgrowth that was worst than mine become full on viking beard-man after their journey.

Just go on youtube and search for minoxidil beard vlogs.

Be warned of websites marketed specifically to sell over-priced minoxidil and other "beard supplements". Just go on amazon and buy a generic 6 month supply for $30.

Edit:Also a lot of humble bragging in this thread from people who takes beard growing for granted.

Silvard

Why do people keep posting useless shit like:

1) Oh I can grow that guy's 6 months in 15 minutes.

2) Shaving sucks, I don't know why you would want to.

If you can grow a full beard in 10 seconds then obviously this isn't for you, but you surely realize that other people can't and yet may want to. And the fact they can't grow a full beard doesn't mean they don't have to shave, specially if their growth is patchy. Some/many people suffer the hassle of having to shave and being unable to grow out a full beard.

Please stop it with the useless comments. Nobody gives a shit that you or your husbands or brothers or whoever have no problems growing a beard and hates shaving, this is about using minoxidil to help those who want, but can't grow one.

You can state health concerns or advocate caution, but that's that and talking about your full natural beards isn't it.

RulkezX

Why do people keep posting useless shit like:

1) Oh I can grow that guy's 6 months in 15 minutes.

2) Shaving sucks, I don't know why you would want to.

If you can grow a full beard in 10 seconds then obviously this isn't for you, but you surely realize that other people can't and yet may want to. And the fact they can't grow a full beard doesn't mean they don't have to shave, specially if their growth is patchy. Some/many people suffer the hassle of having to shave and being unable to grow out a full beard.

Please stop it with the useless comments. Nobody gives a shit that you or your husbands or brothers or whoever have no problems growing a beard and hates shaving, this is about using minoxidil to help those who want, but can't grow one.

You can state health concerns or advocate caution, but that's that and talking about your full natural beards isn't it.

You care enough to post a salty rant about how no one cares.

Strokes manly full beard grown in a week

I tried.

It just doesn't work. You have to accept your face.

This isn't always the case. You won't know if you have dormant follicles that minoxidil may activate until you try.

That being said, caution is always the best route. Do research about the possible negatives before doing anything.

Silvard

You care enough to post a salty rant about how no one cares.

Strokes manly full beard grown in a week

If it can convince at least one person from derailing the thread with tales of their great effortless beard (in a thread for people who struggle with the same) then it will have been worth it. Right now the score is at -1 because it made you want to post about it.

I'm not salty, I'm literally wondering what compels people into posting that kind of stuff in this thread. It serves absolutely no purpose and no one's asking for it, it just comes across as condescension and bragging, if not outright mean spirited towards people who might be interested in but are unable to grow a beard. And it's "just a beard" but are you really unempathetic enough that you feel the need to flaunt a genetic "advantage" towards the goal of growing a beard at people who can't?

If it were at least actionable advice, or side effects disclaimers then it would be of some use to the thread topic.

Saya

It's not the beard on the outside that counts, it's the beard on the inside.

I don't know if this works, but I've been working out more and drinking protein shakes on a daily basis and I feel that my beard and other hair is starting to grow faster and thicker as well. I guess it's a side effect?

If it can convince at least one person from derailing the thread with tales of their great effortless beard (in a thread for people who struggle with the same) then it will have been worth it. Right now the score is at -1 because it made you want to post about it.

I'm not salty, I'm literally wondering what compels people into posting that kind of stuff in this thread. It serves absolutely no purpose and no one's asking for it, it just comes across as condescension and bragging, if not outright mean spirited towards people who might be interested in but are unable to grow a beard. And it's "just a beard" but are you really unempathetic enough that you feel the need to flaunt a genetic "advantage" towards the goal of growing a beard at people who can't?

If it were at least actionable advice, or side effects disclaimers then it would be of some use to the thread topic.

I agree it's mean spirited but people are assholes and this is the internet. You admit to trying some experimental shit to improve your personal appearance, you can expect some people to be jerks about it.

It's only encouraging me to stay applying consistently. Months from now, when I have decent face coverage, no one in my day to day life is going to care that I put minoxidil on my face to make my bread grow; they're only going to care that I look better and feel better about myself for having a decently full beard. That's what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom