• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

LukeTim

Wow that website is like one for a 4 year old not a 9 year old who is mature enough to make an RPG game. I have a 9 year old daughter and have been around dozens of her same age friends. Nothing about this rings true.

It's impossible to believe that the same kid responsible for that website also wrote all of the stuff on the KS page that her mother claims she did.

MBison

My 9 year old daughter wouldn't be caught dead with a website with a bunch of kiddie looking monsters that looks straight out of Nick Jr on the front page.

Yasae

Banned
No, it's not. Proof would be statistical evidence. Last I checked, most money goes to means tested bursaries. Many are predicated on being a member of a particular minority group.

Yes, some merit scholarships do exist. And that's good. They serve as more than just a financial aid. They are recognition for achievement, and an encouragement to continue.
Very well. Here's some of the proof (in your opinion, statistics only): http://www.finaid.org/scholarships/20110902racescholarships.pdf
The table on page 17 of the Secrets to Winning a Scholarship (2011) book reports that minority students
represent 33.8% of applicants but only 28.5% of scholarship recipients[...]
Academic scholarships are how a lot of people afford college. They are based mainly on SAT/ACT test scores.

Let's keep going. From here: http://www.good.is/posts/debunking-the-myth-that-minorities-receive-more-college-scholarships/
White students, even those who "have no demonstrated financial need," are also at an advantage when it comes to receiving funding directly from universities. Kantrowitz found that they get more than 76 percent "of all institutional merit-based scholarship and grant funding, even though they represent" less than 62 percent of the student population.
That's a smoking gun. And I've love to start a thread in OT since I'm now derailing, but GAF is just not the climate to do so. You have your hard statistics regardless.

As for minority status being a requirement, I balk as you might expect.

They won't stop this kickstarter either. They only care about people breaking rules when it affects them financially. This thing will be funded and she'll get her money

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
They didn't stop the Penny Arcade kickstarter.
Penny Arcade draws a lot of water in this town. You don't draw shit, Lebowski.

It's still proof of who gets the help in this country. We don't really think there are an overwhelming number of poor kids getting merit scholarships, do we? The research certainly does not support that conclusion. (As an aside, it also doesn't support minorities getting more than comparable white students).

Class worship.

That's another argument though. Problem here isn't because she's rich but rather she's violating TOS by doing this. Justin Combs earned a football scholarship. You can disagree with an academic institution over an athletic scholarship but that's a different discussion..

Takao

Banned
she goes to indiegogo

Doing so proves she was just in it for the free money. She's already said that her daughter's going to camp either way, and that this was some scheme to make her two sons look bad. I'm certain raising $23k would prove whatever point she was trying to make. Unless it was "This is how you get free money from people with less than you!" in which case, Indiegogo ago!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Shit like this is what will be the downfall of Kickstarter. Why would anyone want to pledge any significant amount of money on something that may or may not be a scam?

I think it's in Kickstarter's best interest to cancel this and ban Susan's account.

Vamphuntr

They won't stop this kickstarter either. They only care about people breaking rules when it affects them financially. This thing will be funded and she'll get her money

Yeah but it might ruin their reputation in the long run if they simply approve the most shameful project to get their cut.

Anyway, it might be possible to sue her if she doesn't ship the rewards or complete the game. Here's an example where a backer sued the one in charge of a Kickstarter project when the guy couldn't ship the product people paid for.

http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2013/01/kickstarter-lawsuit-neil-singh/

The guy that got sued went bankrupt. That website is usually very nice for any discussions and news regarding crowfunding.

At this point, so much crap has come out that canning it would most likely actually help their reputation.
So much shit came out about Sarah Palin too, didn't stop her and her supporters from playing the persecution game and using blanket sexism accusations where they didn't apply. And the media cared enough about politics to get into the details. Not so much with some Kickstarter video game thing.

I'm sorry, did Sarah Palin do a Kickstarter that I'm not aware of?
I'm simply drawing a similarity here in how the victim card can be played in the media and how you can have lots of things come out about your history and still stir people up with sexism accusations anyways.

Bedlam

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...lding-an-rpg-to-prove-her-brothers-w/comments

Brian Cohen said:
@Henrik

Yeah this goofy lemonade stand video is really scamming people. I'm sure all us backers are sacrificing our last loaf of bread because Susan's marketing savvy is just too overpowering for us. Oh no! It's an internet video! Better hide your wallets!

Be real: you hate Susan because she's rich, happy, and a woman. You're jealous misogynists. The success of others--especially women--makes you angry.

You are so out of touch that you actually think this reflects poorly on Susan... wow. The success of this project is just another bullet-point on her long resume of successes! Even the controversy only drives her popularity and success forward. I wouldn't have discovered this project without the controversy. Now I'm a happy and satisfied backer.

Way to go Susan and Kenzie. You rock!!! Keep being creative and making the world a better place.

To all the basement-dwellers... you spend your free time attacking the digital lemonade stand of a 9 nine year old. Pretty much sums it up.

Is this some kind of parody account?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Their Kickstarter was bullshit though.
It absolutely was, the sad thing is that this one makes the Penny Arcade one seem like it had a purpose.

statham

what type of digital lemonade stand has a $10,000 tier, 5 of them.The only tier should have been $5 or $10.

People love to give small sums of money on the internet to feel better about themselves. This is the moral of Kickstarter. People will give away their money for no reason other than a false sense of self righteousness.

spuit*11

Banned
She's a real gem this one.

4chan said:
1364168115669gafg5.png

Lol this Brian Cohen guy posting in the comments is definitely Susan or a friend of hers.

Astroturfing is pretty standard operating procedure for shady internet marketing. It is almost impossible to find an honest user review for self published Kindle books on Amazon. There are entire websites where you can pay people to post positive reviews, up vote, link or comment in your favor for like $5 a pop. Extending that strategy to a skeezy Kickstarter is not a surprising development. Sounds like exactly the kind of innovation we should expect from Susan Wilson.

TripleSun

I'm not concerned about that...I just don't like the idea of where all the extra money is going to.

This girl only needed $829. The mother was just using her daughter as a pawn to make a cool 20 grand by banking on her situation and novelty.

Never thought of it like that, damn this is sick.

Top Bottom