• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Spwn

Quick ?

The game she is creating is through RPG Maker

Are you allowed to sell your RPG Maker game using their assets?

Shouldn't the company that created RPG maker get a cut or sue the ever living shit out of it?

I've been wondering this as well, but as of my understanding, she isn't actually selling the game. You are allowed to share your RPG Maker games non-commercially. The project is for funding her camp expenses, the game is just a by-product.

And that is also the reason the project is violating the KS TOS.

Top of the page recommendation: Don't support this project.

Ravidrath

Why would you ever fund...a *game* by yourself? Are you expected to funnel all of the profits into your wallet too? I mean...something like paying your own ticket is one thing. Paying to build something tangible from the ground up? It's rare that you should do that. Millionaire or not.

Because he made several million in profit doing it before, and could probably do it again if he wanted to?

I'm just saying that with his resources he could easily fund that game himself, and make a tidy profit on Steam. He will probably make less money doing it this way than if he had done it himself. But there's less risk here, obviously.

Quick ?

The game she is creating is through RPG Maker

Are you allowed to sell your RPG Maker game using their assets?

Shouldn't the company that created RPG maker get a cut or sue the ever living shit out of it?

Wait...if this is true, doesn't it mean that To The Moon couldn't have been commercially released? (I thought they used RPG maker to make the game)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
You are allowed to share your RPG Maker games non-commercially. The project is for funding her camp expenses, the game is just a by-product.

The tiers do make it commercially no?

Adding in names to the Credits of Backers shows that they invested in this

Wait...if this is true, doesn't it mean that To The Moon couldn't have been commercially released? (I thought they used RPG maker to make the game)

Sorry I have no clue what To The Moon is

She's not a genius. People are just stupid.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
She's smart enough to capitalize on the gender equality issues going on in the video game industry right now, using her children as the bait.
It's kinda hard to deny that this isn't a smart move, regardless of the morality behind it. There's a part of me finds it hard to hate in her. Girl knows how to hustle.

I took the time to bother and ask a question on there because this kind of thing just pisses me off. This is the reply:

Rv7O6LA.jpg

kuroshiki

Richard Garriet got away with kickstarter and got like what, million+ dollars?

People should just think for themselves for a sec and stop giving away their hard earned money like cheap candies.

Also kickstarter will get their 1~3% cut (don't remember exactly) so I think they are also ok with this. Free $300~900.

People should just think for themselves for a sec and stop giving away their hard earned money like cheap candies.

Also kickstarter will get their 1~3% cut (don't remember exactly) so I think they are also ok with this. Free $300~900.
There's a difference between trying to fund a video game and sending your kid to summer camp.

She's smart enough to capitalize on the gender equality issues going on in the video game industry right now, using her children as the bait.
It's kinda hard to deny that this isn't a smart move, regardless of the morality behind it. There's a part of me finds it hard to hate in her. Girl knows how to hustle.

But Kickstarter´s probably not the right platform for her. If you want to abuse the masses, you should be prepared for scrutiny by those same masses and be aware things can backfire. Clearly she didn´t expect anyone would thoroughly look into who she really was, other than that great mom of a greatly talented kid she presents herself as on KS.

Jac_Solar

saw this in the comments.

I don't get it. Is she asking for men to give money to women? What? Why? Is this what the female empowerment group have been doing?

Surely there are several social reasons for the lack of females in different fields of engineering, mathematics and innovation, but I think the most major, and significant reason, is that they aren't interested. Or so it seems, anyhow. I remember reading some email/mail reply in a gaming magazine, where one of the magazine guys asked the question "How many girls build their own computers?" (On the subject of girls and gaming, I think. Not sure.)

I think the fact of the matter is, guys just generally have a higher amount of interest in the mechanics of things, like taking stuff apart and putting them back together. Has this ever been associated with females? Surely there are exceptions, but that's just it, exceptions. Most of the females do not seem to be interested in these things, so why be surprised when there aren't many females in those fields?

It might have something to do with the chemical makeup of the different groups of sex -- ie; Male chemical reward triggers are triggered when unscrewing/screwing things together/apart. Females have different reward triggers.

That doesn't mean that I think that progress shouldn't be made to make it more normal for females to go into those fields, but there seem to be so many other issues that are far more important, and would need to be solved before the problems related to such relatively superficial social standards and image can be fixed. Females can still go into the various fields, but might be looked down upon.

I've also heard that women get paid less than men, and this is very unfair -- it's probably related to the social image of females in engineering/mathematics on some level, but not directly.

I mean, assuming that they aren't interested in these fields, do they somehow deserve lower levels of pay in all other fields? Or even if they were interested? That's a different issue. It's probably related to the idea of women being the inferior sex, which is one of the most serious issues that need to be fixed before attempting to mainstream the idea of women going into engineering or whatever, in my opinion.

Anyhow, what if 90% of a group of people don't display any interest in a subject? Would we advance any further if we created a new standard where that group of people, who have no interest in it, were expected to participate in whatever it may be?

Boxing people into cliches and standards is a very bad thing for society in general when it's not true at all. But what if it's quite accurate? It's not that great then either, since there will be exceptions, and some people might look down on them.

Is the solution to break the assumed boundaries, or to simply get people to accept the exceptions? But how do we get to that point? Do we need to break the boundaries, even if it's an imaginary one because a group has no interest?

Standards, categorizing different groups of people into certain roles, or cliches, seems to have a soothing effect; it creates some sort of order out of the chaos.

It is, indeed, mostly the very negative, cruel and judgmental standards that should be removed, but this isn't a very negative/cruel one in my opinion.

Maybe the majority of females are interested in mechanics, engineering, and have the chemical reward tiers, but it's inhibited due to the, basically, forced standards in a modern society, so it would be required to remove those boundaries. Perhaps there would be more exceptions if this artificial barrier was removed, or perhaps it become normal.

The way we look at the different sexes today has been a part of humans since the dawn of man and woman, but could that simply be a consequence of the way things worked before? Just an assumed set of roles from the dawn of early man/woman? Men are typically physically bigger, which I assume was far more important back then. So, it's not hard to understand that, perhaps, men just took the role, and forced women into a role they might not want to be in.. Maybe they want to be hunters, maybe they want to bring home the meat. However, the fact that women produce children, and it takes 9 months, implies that it's unlikely.

Things have improved for women throughout the ages, and particularly in modern times, so it seems to be related at least. One thing is for sure, they deserve much more respect.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Sort of related, but...

Do people have issues with millionaires like Chris Roberts and Richard Garriot using crowdfunding to fund games they could easily fund themselves?

I do and that's why I don't support them. Kickstarter is being ruined by greedy people who don't want to assume the risk for their pet projects.

The bubble is going to burst eventually when a few high profile projects fail and that's going to ruin it for everyone.

pakkit

Banned
I'm sorry, why are we angry at this entrepreneurial woman who just taught her 9 year old daughter how to make money using new technology? Is it because she has money? Is it because people were dumb enough to fund this? Kickstarter is a business model...so sometimes you'll get your project funded...and other times you'll get your project funded and then be able to run away with some of the rewards. But I don't see why anyone would report this to Kickstarter, unless I missed some sort of violation.

Esiquio

Interesting quote on the KS comments page:

Henrik said:
You know what's the ultimate proof that this KS was never primarily set up for the good of Susan's daughter? The fact that she hasn't pulled the plug on it yet. The camp is paid for anyway. Every responsible mother would've done that by now to avoid further harm to the child inflicted by the (justified) public backlash that is happening right now. Susan decided to put her children out there. Susan ridiculed her sons numerous times in the KS description and updates. Susan wrote this KS pretending to be the voice of her daughter, coming up with jokes that could only come from an adult faking a child's thoughts (birthday cake) and faking a D&D sheet (fake errors, handwriting). Now she has the power to end it but she won't. Because this was never about the children, it's all about money.

On top of that, the message this KS sends is more than detrimental to the feminist cause. She despicably plays the sexism card in the KS video, indicating that her daughter will end up in the hands of a "sugar daddy", as she puts it, if we don't support this KS. This KS supposedly is also about teaching Susan's daughter to be an independent and strong woman. And how? By asking others for money? Susan pretends to be a feminist (just as she pretends to be part of the 99% while being a multi-millionaire) but what she actually does is exploiting gender issues for money.

Also quoted this picture. Apparently it's from this woman's blog or some such:

G25TKZN.png

rrs

He had an actual product plan vs charity to send a 9 year old to a camp to make something. One is allowed on Kickstarter, even if the man behind it is a millionaire, and the other is something I'd go to a charity cookout for.

But Kickstarter´s probably not the right platform for her. If you want to abuse the masses, you should be prepared for scrutiny by those same masses and be aware things can backfire. Clearly she didn´t expect anyone would thoroughly look into who she really was, other than that great mom of a greatly talented kid she presents herself as on KS.
Of course she's using kickstarter in a very devious way, but this is clearly the right platform for her. People are freely giving her money. Think about that. People are giving away their money, to no end. There is no product to get at the end of this (except maybe a really shitty game). I almost wish I had this idea, except I'm not sleaze.

kirblar

Truespeed

It's troubling when I see people, with lots of money, asking for money for personal expenditures.

One must ask, though, what would Adria Richards do?

boltz

You could also say this about all other sorts of scammers and rip-off artists. Exploiting people's emotions can require some creativity, but it's all despicable just the same.

Of course she's using kickstarter in a very devious way, but this is clearly the right platform for her. People are freely giving her money. Think about that. People are giving away their money, to no end. There is no product to get at the end of this (except maybe a really shitty game). I almost wish I had this idea, except I'm not sleaze.

What I meant to say is that if you were scamming people in a more classic way (like face to face) you´ll probably have to put more effort in it, but chances you are caught red handed (and that things backfire on you) are also likely to be lower than on KS.

Also on the internet nothing ever disappears. Even the 9yo McKenzie Wilson will be associated with a scam for quite a while now...

LukeTim

So, by now most people have accepted the idea that this whole thing is a scam... but I think there is a more compelling explanation for it all.

Susan Wilson is a complete idiot, and didn't think about what she was doing before she started. The blog posts and FundHer.com website support it, too... the blogs are simply stupid, and the website is just terrible.

kirblar

So, by now most people have accepted the idea that this whole thing is a scam... but I think there is a more compelling explanation for it all. Susan Wilson is a complete idiot, and didn't think about what she was doing before she started.
She's not an idiot. She's just completely and utterly shameless.

Kusagari

He's also getting an entire team together and needs to help pay them too. Garriet is making an actual product and there's no real problem with asking for money to fund it. It's stupid to expect millionaires to fund a business proposition entirely on their own.

My problem with Garriet's kickstarter is the whole thing felt half-assed to the max and that he didn't really know what to do with it.

This is a mom asking for less than 1,000 bucks to send a kid to camp. She didn't even include the part about sending backers the game until later.

So, by now most people have accepted the idea that this whole thing is a scam... but I think there is a more compelling explanation for it all. Susan Wilson is a complete idiot, and didn't think about what she was doing before she started.
This is too perfect to be anything other than a scam.

So, by now most people have accepted the idea that this whole thing is a scam... but I think there is a more compelling explanation for it all.

Susan Wilson is a complete idiot, and didn't think about what she was doing before she started. The blog posts and FundHer.com website support it, too... the blogs are simply stupid, and the website is just terrible.

Unlikely imo, as this is her second KS project. She´s a serial entrepeneur that will try anything where she thinks (easy) money is involved.

LukeTim

Unlikely imo, as this is her second KS project. She´s a serial entrepeneur that will try anything where she thinks (easy) money is involved.

True. She has had a lot of projects in the past.

Either way, the whole thing has me completely fascinated...

Ravidrath

My problem with Garriet's kickstarter is the whole thing felt half-assed to the max and that he didn't really know what to do with it.

The concept art and everything shown was definitely less-than-inspiring.

Obviously people come and go, but when I was interning on Ultima Ascension they had some amazing concept artists, and I would imagine he could have at least ponied up the cash to get commission a few pieces from them.

moka

Wait if women control so much spending power shouldn`t that be taken away and reduced to 50% so that its even?

No, you're not getting it. This is equality. If you make it 50/50, that's sexism and is a very misogynistic thing to suggest.

Comparing it to the millionaire game designers that used Kickstarter misses one main reason this is still against the terms of service. Kickstarter funds can be used to hire the crew to complete your project. It's not used to fund education that could then lead to a project. Richard Garriott wasn't asking for money to put a dozen programmers through intensive training to then be capable of making a product.

MBison

The "new day" update is hilariously awful.

How they were going to do a family video to prove realness but then, shockingly, didnt. Yeah. This is so pathetically fake.

I almost want it to go through to see what ridiculously sad RPG game is made by a "9 year old"

Kalnos

Banned
Comparing it to the millionaire game designers that used Kickstarter misses one main reason this is still against the terms of service. Kickstarter funds can be used to hire the crew to complete your project. It's not used to fund education that could then lead to a project. Richard Garriott wasn't asking for money to put a dozen programmers through intensive training to then be capable of making a product.

I think people are misreading that rule.

No "fund my life" projects.
Examples include projects to pay tuition or bills, go on vacation, or buy a new camera.

The purpose of the Kickstarter is not to pay the tuition of her course, the purpose is to create a game, which is why this is not against the rules. If you think other game-related Kickstarter projects haven't used some of the funds in order to buy educational books, take programming courses, or buy tools like a camera then you're fooling yourself.

With that said, I originally had no problem with this but it has since been proven that this Kickstarter has other problems that make it really shady and I don't see why anyone would want to donate to it.

How they were going to do a family video to prove realness but then, shockingly, didnt. Yeah. This is so pathetically fake.

I almost want it to go through to see what ridiculously sad RPG game is made by a "9 year old"

It´s not just a 9 year old, but a highly talented one filled with anger about her brothers mocking her with all kinds of sexist remarks. ;-)

On a side note: isn´t Borderlands 2 rated M? Why is a 9yo playing that game?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Interesting quote on the KS comments page:

Also quoted this picture. Apparently it's from this woman's blog or some such:

G25TKZN.png

Why is she asking men to give money to women if women control 80% of spending?

Is she trying to guilt-trip men with her 'omg the world is so sexist' view, into giving her money?

Having a family chat on a video would have proven anything beyond their parental abilities being awful.

Kusagari

My goal is to raise $829 to cover the cost of RPG Camp. But my Mom just told me about the Veronica Mars campaign so now I'm secretly hoping to raise more. My Mom said I can put any extra toward a laptop. I asked her if I raised even more than that, would she let me spend another week away at RPG camp. She said if I raised the money, she'd send me to RPG Camp all summer (which would be amazing because my friends at home are great but they're not really gamers like me so it'll awesome to hang out with hardcore gamers like me that are my age).

There is no way a 9-year-old wrote that. And now the extra is going toward getting this girl a laptop?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think people are misreading that rule.

The purpose of the Kickstarter is not to pay the tuition of her course, the purpose is to create a game, which is why this is not against the rules.

Sorry, but she says three times, straight up, that the money is being raised to pay for the course.

The game isn't a standalone project. It's an artefact of the course. Any tuition could be spun as a project if this is allowed.

If it is a standalone game project, then where's the functioning prototype I believe KS requires from game/product projects? It doesn't fail on one set of criteria it fails on another.

MBison

I'm proud of NeoGAF going off on this but kind of disappointed that the Internet swell to destroy this has been rather slow.

JABEE

Susan Wilson isn't an idiot based on her status as a business person. She knows what she is doing. She used the same tactics on her last failed Kickstarter.

moka

It´s not just a 9 year old, but a highly talented one filled with anger about her brothers mocking her with all kinds of sexist remarks. ;-)

It's absolutely terrible what 9 year old girls have to put up with nowadays.

This'll show 'em.

Top Bottom