• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Beverley kept defending Lebron, and he just kept at it XD. He was seriously key this game.

Second time Beverley has called us a badass team recently.

Love this man so much. I remember being down on him starting over Lin in 2013, WTF

Surprising how good Nene is this late in his career.

He's still just 34. He needs his rest though, never playing back to backs, often resting on strenuous parts of the schedule, etc.

That being said, he's a good mix up from what Capela or Harrell provide. He has a veteran touch to his game, and I know he's pretty close to Harrell (probably helps Capela's game too). Classic "experienced vet" type player.

Seriously great pick-up by Morey this season. The Warriors seriously should have gone after him.

neptunes

Beverley kept defending Lebron, and he just kept at it XD. He was seriously key this game.

Second time Beverley has called us a badass team recently.

Love this man so much. I remember being down on him starting over Lin in 2013, WTF

He's still just 34. He needs his rest though, never playing back to backs, often resting on strenuous parts of the schedule, etc.

That being said, he's a good mix up from what Capela or Harrell provide. He has a veteran touch to his game, and I know he's pretty close to Harrell (probably helps Capela's game too). Classic "experienced vet" type player.

Seriously great pick-up by Morey this season. The Warriors seriously should have gone after him.
No way!!

We back on track!
raw

Enjoy Lauri Markonnen, Boston!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Nene has always been an analytics monster. The reason he seems ancient is because he has spent half his career recovering from constant injuries.

C6xPfTsWwAA4f2i.jpg

Nene has always been an analytics monster. The reason he seems ancient is because he has spent half his career recovering from constant injuries.

Would've been a really, really good pick-up for so many teams that now suffer from not having a good back-up big. Warriors, Celtics, Cavaliers, all of them would have been monstrous with a center that doesn't just fill a rotation spot, but could honestly give them quality minutes in the playoffs (could even start games)

TTG

I went back to check: Lebron's 3 games in the last 4 nights logged 39, 37, and 40 minutes. How much hgh can one man withstand?

rambis

Banned
Offensively, I think Anderson is main constant, he stretches the floor and is probably our best 3 pt shooter. Beverley (one spot-ups) and Capela/Harrell/Nene (one of our bigs, at least) can usually be counted on for scoring some.

Defensively, Ariza, Beverley, Harrell (against smaller teams) and Capela are all great.

Everyone else can either be hot or cold. It's why Harden goes out of his way in the first half to get his teammates good looks, even more than normal. When our other shooters are hot (we have a lot of different shooters who can be hot too), that player seriously goes off.

They don't have any other stars, but they have alot of great role players. But role players can both not show up alot or be the best player on the court.
I see a bunch of ok to good shooters and only 1 player thats really able to create from himself or others. Its no slight, they are obviously playing great but it is a thing to see. They're honestly not that different from some of those Suns teams.

TTG

I keep thinking Capela is more athletic than he actually is and Harden seems to have 1 for 8 from 3 games every other night, that's all the fault I can find with the Rockets. They're a good team.

Jarate

Banned
Remember, that the Sixers beat the Lakers on the second night of a back to back, missing 3 starters and own either their 1st rounder this year, or next year depending on where it lands.

It's a typical D'antoni team that will lose in the playoffs.

Phoenix Suns' 2005 playoffs, 1st seed, 1st year of SSOL:
- Sweep Memphis
- Beat Mavericks 4-2
- Lose 4-1 to the Spurs, WCF, Spurs go on to win championship

Phoenix Suns' 2006 playoffs, 3rd seed
- Comeback from 3-1 to beat the Lakers, blowing them out in the last 3 games
- Win 4-3 against the Clippers
- Lose 4-2 against the Mavericks, WCF

Phoenix Suns' 2007 playoffs, 2nd seed (this one is still contentious with Suns' fans)
- Beat the Lakers 4-1
- Suns lose 4-2 to the Spurs.

I would note that that was easily the "actual finals" for the 2007 playoffs (Spurs crush the Jazz and Cavs afterwards), and there is of course the notorious Robert Horry hip check on Steve Nash that then led to Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw being suspended for Game Five. Asides from the game 2 blowout of the Spurs, every single game was incredibly close.

Do the Suns win without the suspensions? Who knows, but either way, the winning of this series was highly likely going to be winning the championship that year.

Phoenis Suns' 2008 playoffs, 6th seed (55 wins)
- Lose to the Spurs, 4-1. Only time this team lost in the 1st round

Just before the break, the Suns trade away all-star Shawn Marion for an aging Shaq, who "could compete" with Duncan down low. Their offense slows down, especially with hack-a-shaq, and the FO basically partially gave up on D'Antoni's style of play. D'Antoni leaves for the Knicks

New York Knicks' 2011 playoffs, 6th seed (42 wins)
- Swept by the big 3 Celtics

Free agency has the Knicks sign Amare Stoudemire, and then trade away their depth for Carmelo, who they could've just signed that off-season. Amare played the entire series injured. Chauncey Billups gets sidelined after a knee injury in Game 1.

New York Knicks' 2012 (he wasn't with them for the playoffs)
- Linsanity while Melo is ouy
- Melo doesn't want to play power forward in a fast paced offense, after coming back, Knicks struggle again, Mike Woodson becomes coach

Los Angeles Lakers' 2013 playoffs, 7th seed.
- Swept by the Spurs

Don't know where to start with this one. D'Antoni became coach in the middle of the season, after interviewing with the Lakers as a "mere formality". Nash is injured a ton. Gasol gets injured a ton. Dwight is still in Dwightmare mode, at least partially, and still had come back early from his back injury, and also didn't seem to realize how the pick n' roll Dwight of the Magic could've been perfect for D'Antoni (or maybe his injury just made him not want to do that anymore). Either way, Dwight thinks he should be posting up. And he's injured often too. Metta is playing injured too. Then Kobe gets injured in the final game of the season.

So, in the playoffs, their best player is gone, and all of their "big five" injured, on a team with major chemistry issues, against the 2013 Spurs, who were favorites for the championship in the finals against the Heat.

No one is winning with that team.

So in total, we have:
- two straight WCF trips
- a WCSF against the eventual champions, somewhat controversial, and basically the actual NBA Finals that year
- a 1st round exit on a team that just traded one of D'Antoni's system's best players, Shawn Marion, for a slow, older Shaq, so that they could be more conventional and could post up against Duncan, something he failed spectacularly at. Shaq also gets hacked, preventing their offense from being able to properly flow.
- Probably the main egregious loss, getting swept by the Celtics, when the Knicks were supposed to have a decent shot at an upset. Knicks lost their point guard in the first game, and their best player (at that point, it's Stoudemire) is playing the series injured.
- A 1st round exit on a team that I doubt anyone other than maybe Pop could've coached.

Are the Thunder a team that never won in the playoffs? What about Steve Van Gundy?

I mean, there's a glaring lack of a finals trip, but this idea that D'Antoni never succeeded in the playoffs is ridiculous. There does seem to be a Spurs problem, I'll give you that, thankfully I guess we have Harden, who always seems to go off on the Spurs?

And if you're thinking of the Suns when you say that, they only make the playoffs one more time, in 2010, and get to the WCF.

But yeah, D'Antoni teams don't play well in the playoffs

Hitta93

Banned
Can't really hold any other those D'Antoni teams against him after PHX. He was in bad situations in NY/LA.

The only thing that I'm worried about is that we jack WAY too many 3s. It is the offense, but they should reset and run an actual half court offense when it's available for them.

Sandfox

I remember Jalen Rose telling a story about MDA telling his team to not worry about trying to stop Tim Duncan in the playoffs only for him to destroy them.

Remember, that the Sixers beat the Lakers on the second night of a back to back, missing 3 starters and own either their 1st rounder this year, or next year depending on where it lands.

The Lakers are the most garbage team I have ever seen. I would be open to trading everyone, and I mean everyone.

Randall is terribad
Russel is a TO machine.
I would be shocked if Ingram turned out to be anything more than Matt Barnes.

Right now what the Lakers have are solid dudes. I don't see a star among them. Ingram probably is the only one with that kind of ceiling, but it's way too soon. Maybe he's Paul George. But he could also be Tayshaun Prince. It's a solid core but you need that one guy that elevates everyone, and good luck because that's what 90% of the teams in the league are waiting for.

Right now what the Lakers have are solid dudes. I don't see a star among them. Ingram probably is the only one with that kind of ceiling, but it's way too soon. Maybe he's Paul George. But he could also be Tayshaun Prince. It's a solid core but you need that one guy that elevates everyone, and good luck because that's what 90% of the teams in the league are waiting for.

This team needs to be blown up. All of it. every piece.I hope it looks very different come October of this year. I would be open to trading everyone.

Moz and Deng......................jesus Jim. Its like you were sabotaging the team.

This team needs to be blown up. All of it. every piece.I hope it looks very different come October of this year. I would be open to trading everyone.

Moz and Deng......................jesus Jim. Its like you were sabotaging the team.

That's dumb. You aren't going to get anything for young unproven guys on rookie contracts. There is no "blowing it up" when your roster is full of rookies making peanuts.

Sandfox

It makes no sense to "blow up" our current team when we have young guys on cheap contracts and already close to the bottom for drafting.

It makes no sense to "blow up" our current team when we have young guys on cheap contracts and already close to the bottom for drafting.

Seriously what are you going to do? Trade Russell or Randle for, like, the 16th pick in next year's draft for like a 10% chance you get someone as good as they are?

Sandfox

Seriously what are you going to do? Trade Russell or Randle for, like, the 16th pick in next year's draft for like a 10% chance you get someone as good as they are?

I don't really know what some people see. Russell for example is trending to be a top PG in the league statistically, but even Lakers fans have hated on him since draft night. I wouldn't just give that up for the sake of it.

I honestly believe nobody is untouchable on the Lakers including Ingram and D'Angelo.
Magic Johnson will trade anyone for a player he loves watching or tweeting about.

Randle might go for a 16th probably not though. Russell would go for a top 10 pick though.

I doubt it. Not in a draft perceived to be this deep. Even still, it's not like top 10 picks are sure things. Russell is not the next Chris Paul or Steph Curry, but he's also a 21 year old PG averaging 15/5/4 (20/5/3 on 44% shooting since the All Star break) in his 2nd season. The odds of getting a player at that level or better, even with a top 10 pick, is pretty low. People seem to think that lottery picks are gold ignoring the fact that when you really look at it, more often than not they end up being role players or rotation players.

Top Bottom