• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: NISA apologies for localisation, will be patched in November

vkrili

Ah, seems I've confused that with the option to speed up cutscenes then (which would've been helpful for replays in the previous two, but wasn't there before). Sorry about that.

Did you ever try holding down Circle*?

*in the English version I assume X in the Japanese one.

Theswweet

Well... this is unexpected. Sounds like at least a few English VAs are refusing to do re-dubs, and a few of the Trails of Cold Steel/Trails of Cold Steel dub actors have thrown their hats into the ring publicly saying they hope XSEED gets Trails of Cold Steel III.

Not sure how related this is to the thread... but that's a pretty big deal, right?

Well... this is unexpected. Sounds like at least a few English VAs are refusing to do re-dubs, and a few of the Trails of Cold Steel/Trails of Cold Steel dub actors have thrown their hats into the ring publicly saying they hope XSEED gets Trails of Cold Steel III.

Not sure how related this is to the thread... but that's a pretty big deal, right?
Really? Where's the news about vo not wanting to do redubs?

Theswweet

Really? Where's the news about vo not wanting to do redubs?

The most vocal has been Sean Chiplock, and it's been coming from the Falcom discord. That's also where the letter was posted where a few VAs are on record saying they hope XSEED gets CSIII.

EDIT: Removed link.

The most vocal has been Sean Chiplock, and it's been coming from the Falcom discord. That's also where the letter was posted where a few VAs are on record saying they hope XSEED gets CSIII.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...095109643/FINAL_DRAFT_XSEED_Group_Letter.docx
I can't read the file on my phone but I checked out the Discord and yeah that's wild. Add that with NISA giving the translation fix only a month, this could just keep being one problem after another.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member

EDIT: Removed link.
That's my feel good story of the day. They should send a letter to Falcom as well.

EDIT: Updated the quotation.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...095109643/FINAL_DRAFT_XSEED_Group_Letter.docx

Thank fucking christ. Glad to see this happened.

I admit my hate for NIS America may be a tad overblown but it's still standing to this day based on so many bad localization choices and sub-par products they've put out. I haven't purchased anything from them since Soul Nomad back on the PS2.

BTA

So wait. You're blaming the fact that we don't get better localisations on the fact that I (and others, presumably) end up enjoying the game regardless of a few translation issues?

Lol. No.

Maybe I'm just someone who looks on the bright side. At least we *get* localisations for these games. I've been totally crushed in situations where games in my favourite series (you can guess by my avatar) haven't been localized at all. So yeah, I'd rather play a really great game with a some translation issues than not play at all.

And I'll reiterate again. Looking at those images in the OP, some of those translations are hilarious. they make the game even more amusing for me, and i'm entitled to that opinion. :) If something like this makes the game unplayable for you, then don't play it. Plain and simple.

What? Did you even read my post? I said I enjoyed the game myself.

But let's not pretend it's acceptable that we have to take what we can get. It really fucking bothers me that I'm paying money for a worse game, a different game in the worst cases, than what Japanese players got. It's almost more crushing to me than a game not getting localized; at least when something's not localized there's the chance it could be brought over with a great localization still. When something's localized badly and the company doesn't see that as a problem, you're stuck with that bad translation forever. And if you only speak English that is the only version of the game you will ever play. At least books (and subtitled movies/anime, I guess) sometimes get retranslations later down the line. With games that'll only happen if they get remade.

So yeah, "Big Hole's" amusing. But if I was a serious Ys fan who was looking forward to this (apparently fantastic) game, I'd be pissed that my only option is an inferior version of the game. I'd still enjoy the game, sure, but I'd never go "Well, this is what they felt like releasing so it's totally fine if every game they release is like this!"

I'm not telling you to boycott these games. I'm telling you that you should expect better from the companies you're giving money to. Don't just be content because they went through the process of releasing it at all. You wouldn't be so happy if the game was bugged to hell and back but still completable, right?

it should go without saying that I'm talking about actual mistranslation/bad localization and not people whining that Treehouse removed a character's vagina bones and what have you

I hope not. There's a big chance the VAs would change then. No thanks.
even if the voice actors stayed on (they wont) or you played it in japanese (mod or otherwise added in) the english text is still garbage if nisa produces it. Whats the point? So you can pretend its more enjoyable because it came out earlier or because you have an unjustified grudge against xseed.

Ascheroth

Trails in The Sky SC - October 29 2015
Trails of Cold Steel - December 22 2015
Trails of Cold Steel II - September 6 2016
Trails in the Sky the 3rd - May 3 2017
Trails of Cold Steel PC feat. redubbed and newly dubbed lines - August 3 2017

What? Did you even read my post? I said I enjoyed the game myself.

But let's not pretend it's acceptable that we have to take what we can get. It really fucking bothers me that I'm paying money for a worse game, a different game in the worst cases, than what Japanese players got. It's almost more crushing to me than a game not getting localized; at least when something's not localized there's the chance it could be brought over with a great localization still. When something's localized badly and the company doesn't see that as a problem, you're stuck with that bad translation forever. And if you only speak English that is the only version of the game you will ever play. At least books (and subtitled movies/anime, I guess) sometimes get retranslations later down the line. With games that'll only happen if they get remade.

So yeah, "Big Hole's" amusing. But if I was a serious Ys fan who was looking forward to this (apparently fantastic) game, I'd be pissed that my only option is an inferior version of the game. I'd still enjoy the game, sure, but I'd never go "Well, this is what they felt like releasing so it's totally fine if every game they release is like this!"

I'm not telling you to boycott these games. I'm telling you that you should expect better from the companies you're giving money to. Don't just be content because they went through the process of releasing it at all. You wouldn't be so happy if the game was bugged to hell and back but still completable, right?

As a serious Ys fan this is spot on. It's a real annoyance to see an otherwise solid product receive such shoddy treatment when being brought to your own language, and it goes double considering the lack of care shown for my own platform of choice (PC).

Something similar occurred with Tales of Hearts R when it was localized. While the port itself was fine the localization effort was half OK and half over-inflated, random and inaccurate nonsense. That, along with its release
hopefully only temporarily
killing the fan translation of the original DS game, has really kept me away from getting far in it. There's just a strong sense of apathy from the localization team that really cheapens the perception of the experience overall and makes it easier to care less about the product yourself.

As a serious Ys fan this is spot on. It's a real annoyance to see an otherwise solid product receive such shoddy treatment when being brought to your own language, and it goes double considering the lack of care shown for my own platform of choice (PC).

Something similar occurred with Tales of Hearts R when it was localized. While the port itself was fine the localization effort was half OK and half over-inflated, random and inaccurate nonsense. That, along with its release
killing the fan translation of the original DS game, has really kept me away from getting far in it. There's just a strong sense of apathy from the localization team that really cheapens the perception of the experience overall and makes it easier to care less about the product yourself.
Ys is where people are being the loudest due to the change in publisher/localizer, but so many games are eatting shit in the localization process and no accountability is being held.

I mean, look at Blue Reflection's localization, its fucking horrible.

These sloppy translations are such an injustice to the games. I can take my weak japanese and play the original version and guess at the story well enough to get by. That doesn't capture the feeling of the stories and characters, and thats exactly what these localizations are doing, failing that, they are gibberish.

I mean seriously...
DL6ySA1UEAA02It.jpg:large

Tales of Hearts R isn't really a good example. It's a case of localizers punching up boring dialogue into something that is for the most part an upgrade, it does not come across as a result of apathy at all. It mainly bothers people who want literal translations, which they got with Ys 8.

wrowa

hope nisa gets CS3. would rather play it in this lifetime.

I don't think you actually played the CS series. The gap between the English release of CS1 and CS2 was a mere seven months -- how could you possibly complain about that? The only Trails game that took eons to come out was SC and there were a million reasons for that. No other publisher would have bothered with the Sky games to begin with, exactly because it was always an insane idea to bring these games over.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't think you actually played the CS series. The gap between the English release of CS1 and CS2 was a mere seven months -- how could you possibly complain about that? The only Trails game that took eons to come out was SC and there were a million reasons for that. No other publisher would have bothered with the Sky games to begin with, exactly because it was always an insane idea to bring these games over.

Yup 100% this

Very grateful that they've gone back to the drawing board on this. I bought on release and I've barely played it, because even as a fan of bad engrish the localisation is absolutely terrible in the worst of all ways.

Top Bottom