• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

shaowebb

Sorry to say that after I put some more points onto my Japanese account I can confirm that those Cave games are IP locked.
And so is Eschatos I'm afraid.

So while they are region free games themselves, you can't buy and download them outside of Japan it seems.
Wonder if it would be possible to use a proxy server somehow to slip around this rather stupid lock.

If a proxy could solve that it'd be nice. I'm all for importing digitally.

Elixir

I have documented the Games on Demand matter here. VPNs work perfectly fine, the IP check is only at the start and end of the download.

Zeth

Leaderboards on Bug Princess 2 Black Label are kind of boned. I just posted a top score on the Original leaderboard with 1.07bil and I was playing in Novice difficulty. Judging by the similarity of the other top scores, so is everyone else. Would make more sense if the difficulties were separated, considering the way scoring doesn't scale so much with difficulty. Last post about this game, sorry! I know people don't take the iOS leaderboards as seriously as the others. Need to get back on my Akai Katana game. Futari is the only Cave game I've managed to learn reasonably well so far.

vall03

it seems people are talking about Games on Demand on this thread. I actually just purchased Deathsmiles II X from the US XBLM a couple of weeks ago and I was able to download it and it wasn't IP-locked! I don't if people remember about my bitching, but I just assumed everything was IP-locked because I couldn't download the free Halo Reach code I got with the 360. Hopefully this will be the first and last GoD game Im going to buy. And here I thought that Sony sucks with PSN, Microsoft is just as bad...

Zeth

I've recently found using the "switch" button setting works best for Maniac/God. Those modes would be so much better if there were separate buttons to hold down for each shot.

Got the #2 score in BP2BL original with 1.2bil. Ended with counter up around 150k but there's definitely something wrong with the counter/rank. It doesn't seem fast at all even that high, and there's no noticeable speed increase after 100k (if at all).

Play on Hell (arcade) difficulty if you haven't already.

This is sort of the reason I don't have any modes unlocked in any Cave iOS release that has unlockable modes, since I'm too stubborn to play on anything less than the arcade's default difficulty, which in this port is turning it up all the way.

Yes Boss!

This is sort of the reason I don't have any modes unlocked in any Cave iOS release that has unlockable modes, since I'm too stubborn to play on anything less than the arcade's default difficulty, which in this port is turning it up all the way.

I tried Hell Ultra. Only made it to the beginning of stage two. Kinda hard, even with the faster ship movements.

I dunno, I just play all the modes in order. I've got one more shot-type clear on Hard Original, then I'll move up to Hell Original.

And, I always play the novice versions on the 360 ports...great way to check out the stages and music!

word, bought a pal copy of dodonpachi today. looking forward to its arrival.

i bought raystorm hd last week since i've been playing the ios version so much. it's obviously not a cave game so i wont get into it, but, um, that game makes me feel some kinda way...in a not so positive way, if you catch my drift...

shaowebb

Guess what I got in today?

THIS

Guess what? In spite of that very link telling you Espgaluda 2 black label Platinum Collection is region free IT IS NOT. I popped it in and it only says "Play dvd". The thing is region locked and I can't play it.

All of my salt and anger. Before I throw this thing back on amazon make me an offer if you want it. I'd like to cheaply sell it to a gaffer who'd like it for what I paid to spread the Cave game collection around if anyone here has a japanese Xbox 360 and doesn't own this yet.

EDIT: I'm willing to trade for other shmups too, but I doubt anyone here would part with anything they own lol.

THIS

Guess what? In spite of that very link telling you Espgaluda 2 black label Platinum Collection is region free IT IS NOT. I popped it in and it only says "Play dvd". The thing is region locked and I can't play it.

All of my salt and anger. Before I throw this thing back on amazon make me an offer if you want it. I'd like to cheaply sell it to a gaffer who'd like it for $37 to spread the Cave game collection around if anyone here has a japanese Xbox 360 and doesn't own this yet.

Uhhh... that's not what happens when you put a disc of the wrong region. It should still show up in the dashboard as a game regardless of region coding. The region error doesn't pop up until you try to actually start the game. Either it's a bad disc, it's a counterfeit, or your 360's drive is failing.

shaowebb

Uhhh... that's not what happens when you put a disc of the wrong region. It should still show up in the dashboard as a game regardless of region coding. The region error doesn't pop up until you try to actually start the game. Might have just been a bad disc.

Are you kidding me? How in the hell...so is this region free or not?

Here's some pics.
FD0OR.jpg

PYE6Z.jpg

Thing was factory shrink wrapped and the disc looks and feels legit with the quality of its art cover. Does this look any different from anyone else's that has this?

EDIT: Like all games I can pop it into my PC and explore the folders on the disc and its definitely got audio, video, and other files on it. Of course my PC can't access or play any of those, but it does prove its got content on it. Could this be a bad copy or is it locked? Does this happen if its IP locked or is that just a download thing? Im really confused here.

Here's some pics.
http://i.imgur.com/FD0OR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PYE6Z.jpg

Thing was factory shrink wrapped and the disc looks and feels legit with the quality of its art cover. Does this look any different from anyone else's that has this?

EDIT: Like all games I can pop it into my PC and explore the folders on the disc and its definitely got audio, video, and other files on it. Of course my PC can't access or play any of those, but it does prove its got content on it. Could this be a bad copy or is it locked?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you're not supposed to be able to see the actual game filesystem on a regular PC DVD drive

There's no such thing as an IP lock for a physical disc.

All I have to go by is this thread, where someone positively confirms it's region free. I can find no other confirmation (even Play-Asia has U/C as a question mark, meaning they didn't even test it).

I'm leaning towards either lemon disc or your 360 going bad. Try another 360 if you have access to one? Also, are you on the latest 360 firmware?

shaowebb

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you're not supposed to be able to see the actual game filesystem on a regular PC DVD drive

There's no such thing as an IP lock for a physical disc.

All I have to go by is this thread, where someone positively confirms it's region free. I can find no other confirmation (even Play-Asia has U/C as a question mark, meaning they didn't even test it).

I'm leaning towards either lemon disc or your 360 going bad. Try another 360 if you have access to one? Also, are you on the latest 360 firmware?

Im on the latest and firmware, and as for accessing game files I just pop it in and it gives the usual "you do not have permission to access" message. I close that, go to my computer and right click the disc drive and select "open". It'll show you folders and files and such but you can't access them, play them or do anything with them. You can just use it as a way to see if the disc has anything on it for this situation. I found this out after the thread mentioning some games had hidden audio tracks on PS1 and discovered you could see folders and files this way even if you couldn't do anything with them.

I've gone ahead and filed a complaint on Amazon with Akihabaragames and I'll be getting a refund. Sucks because I really want to play Espgaluda 2 after hearing Eternal Aegis is a lot like it. I really liked that game and was eager to play its inspiration.

Is there any other reason it could be doing this?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Probably should have contacted the seller about it first. They should be at least be given the chance to take responsibility for it before getting a mark on their store.

shaowebb

Sounds like a possibly misprinted disc.

Did you try hitting the play DVD button and see what comes up?

Yeah it tries to play a DVD and you get the Xbox 360 logo. I sent the seller a message claiming for a return and listed my problem. If this counts as a complaint filed then thats what it was. If not then the seller's score is fine. I wanted a return though and they got 48 hours standard amazon policy to contact me in response to my email.

Theres no selling it or trading it if its not going to work so I'm not gonna saddle a fellow Cave fan with it Gaf, Amazon, or otherwise. Likely going to get my refund, but if they can prove they got a working copy and send it then sure I'll take a game that works.

EDIT: Can anyone here say they own this game and it plays region free? I'd really love to own and play this so I'd like to know for certain before I consider going back in on the title.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Ah, it looks like you just sent them a message to try and fix things. Sorry for the misunderstanding there.

Well while I don't have that version of the game the only region-locked version of it is the Limited Edition version that comes with the faceplate. (Which I own.)

shaowebb

Ah, it looks like you just sent them a message to try and fix things. Sorry for the misunderstanding there.

Well while I don't have that version of the game the only region-locked version of it is the Limited Edition version that comes with the faceplate. (Which I own.)

Hmm...so the platinum collection above should have played because its not the limited edition with the faceplate? Sounds like its a bad print then.

*sigh*

So close yet so far. Also you got a picture of that faceplate? I got the Deathsmiles one on my 360 on principle just because the game was so good, but MAN it makes you look like a creeper waving around the Deathsmiles plate. If the Espgaluda plate looks cool I may try to hunt it down by itself online sometime to swap out for a prettier (and less Moe) faceplate from Cave.

Here's some pics.
FD0OR.jpg

PYE6Z.jpg

EDIT: Like all games I can pop it into my PC and explore the folders on the disc and its definitely got audio, video, and other files on it. Of course my PC can't access or play any of those, but it does prove its got content on it. Could this be a bad copy or is it locked? Does this happen if its IP locked or is that just a download thing? Im really confused here.

Yeeeaah, that's kinda weird. Sounds like you got a pretty messed up disc. I have the Platinum Collection version of Espgaluda II (bought it from Play-Asia) and it works just fine on my PAL Xbox 360.

shaowebb

Weird, can't really help you out other than to mention that when I bought off Amazon it was this listing as opposed to the one you linked.

Yeeeaah, that's kinda weird. Sounds like you got a pretty messed up disc. I have the Platinum Collection version of Espgaluda II (bought it from Play-Asia) and it works just fine on my PAL Xbox 360.

Hmmm...well then it looks like I'll roll my refund over into that link from Japtor to try to replace this thing. Also props to you Infernal Monkey for sporting an Opa Opa avatar. I love that lil' guy.

EDIT: Left for some "sad panda" playtime in Akai Katana Slash after all the Espgaluda 2 problems earlier. Only got 19.6 million and ended up going through like 6 continues to do it. Reaaaaaaaally bad playthru this time. Though the end boss is mad easy considering the safest pattern for him is rush down and tap fire and catch all the steel you can, back off, flip mode to shoot steal, flip back to shoot swords and ride swords back to the middle to orb collect for the loop of the pattern. This doesn't really work too well on other bosses but that crystal thing puts his bullet origin far enough away to make this point blank rushdown work and you get steel FAST and can pretty much loop steel shot and katana shot ad nauseum till the end.

Starting to get the hang of things on scoring, but geez I ended up accidentally popping off my katanas into random directions a bunch of times which meant I ended up face charging into bullet vomit that was "supposed" to have been eliminated by the katanas I screwed up and shot above or below me. Gotta get better at aiming those things between dodges. Oh well. No Espgaluda 2 today, but at least I got in some Katana time. I think I'll try score attack soon.

Zeth

Sorry for your misfortune, shaowebb. I have what appears to be the same release, and it works fine on my US 360 (though I've barely played it).

shaowebb

Sorry for your misfortune, shaowebb. I have what appears to be the same release, and it works fine on my US 360 (though I've barely played it).

:C

Oh well. Looks like I'll just fetch my refund from the seller and roll it over into the other link to claim a copy.

For the record Espgaluda has a system where you can convert all the enemy bullets on the screen into money right? Thats why I went for it because I really liked the playstyle of Eden's Aegis where you tried to fill your meter forever and when it got full you popped the meter ability to get kills and those who died had their bullets on the screen disappear and convert to money. In Espgaluda I hear anyone you kill period converts their bullets to cash. That and some kind of mode thingy that makes things slower and purple? I don't really understand all that, but bullets=potential cash takes the edge off for me and is more fun than enemies killed with x-item equals cash.

I wanted it for that and its a topdown and I really dig those, but mainly for the idea of playing another "convert bullets to money" game because the atmosphere totally changes to joy when you face bullet vomit with that mechanic. It felt great.

japtor

Don't have any experience with Eden's Aegis, but yeah Espgaluda has a conversion mechanic. In normal mode every enemy you kill releases some gems, of which you can collect up to 500. Kakusei mode (the slow down mode) uses up those gems, and in this mode is where bullets convert into gold, up to 1000. Then there's "kakusei-over"* mode or something which uh...I think uses both gems and gold? Or just gems...whatever the case a lot of crazy shit goes on and it's fun and necessary for pumping up your score, if overwhelming at first.

Not 100% on all that stuff but I think that's the general gist of it. If you like conversion mechanics as you say you'll probably dig it.

*edit-I think kakusei-over is when you run out of gems, then everything turns red and speeds up, and enemies release gold instead of gems. In light of that, I completely forget what the other mode is called. There's a lot of stuff to the game!

Don't have any experience with Eden's Aegis, but yeah Espgaluda has a conversion mechanic. In normal mode every enemy you kill releases some gems, of which you can collect up to 500. Kakusei mode (the slow down mode) uses up those gems, and in this mode is where bullets convert into gold, up to 1000. Then there's "kakusei-over"* mode or something which uh...I think uses both gems and gold? Or just gems...whatever the case a lot of crazy shit goes on and it's fun and necessary for pumping up your score, if overwhelming at first.

Not 100% on all that stuff but I think that's the general gist of it. If you like conversion mechanics as you say you'll probably dig it.

*edit-I think kakusei-over is when you run out of gems, then everything turns red and speeds up, and enemies release gold instead of gems. In light of that, I completely forget what the other mode is called. There's a lot of stuff to the game!

lolll

Above the normal/kakusei/kakusei-over modes from the original game, Espgaluda II adds zetsushikai and zetsushikai-over - zetsushikai is entered by holding the mode switch button instead of tapping it, when you have both gems and gold. It causes bullets, instead of spawning gold, to spawn more bullets when the target is killed. (If the target is killed before it can shoot any bullets, it explodes into a swirl of suicide bullets.) Zetsushikai-over is reached by running out of gems but NOT gold, and is similar to kakusei-over except you get a -lot- of gold for killing enemies.

shaowebb

lolll

Above the normal/kakusei/kakusei-over modes from the original game, Espgaluda II adds zetsushikai and zetsushikai-over - zetsushikai is entered by holding the mode switch button instead of tapping it, when you have both gems and gold. It causes bullets, instead of spawning gold, to spawn more bullets when the target is killed. (If the target is killed before it can shoot any bullets, it explodes into a swirl of suicide bullets.) Zetsushikai-over is reached by running out of gems but NOT gold, and is similar to kakusei-over except you get a -lot- of gold for killing enemies.

So wait...you kill enemies, but they ALL suicide bullet when they die and no matter what you keep ending up with more and more bullets the more you kill? This would equate to insane gold, but oh man would it get rough at times to survive long enough to get some kills. Sounds great!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

THIS

All of my salt and anger. Before I throw this thing back on amazon make me an offer if you want it. I'd like to cheaply sell it to a gaffer who'd like it for what I paid to spread the Cave game collection around if anyone here has a japanese Xbox 360 and doesn't own this yet.

EDIT: I'm willing to trade for other shmups too, but I doubt anyone here would part with anything they own lol.

It's not region locked, I can assure you, both the Platinum and regular first print editions are region free.
However, the Limited Edition is NTSC-J only.

Tain

If you insert a DVD that is region locked into your 360, you should actually still see the game's logo on your dashboard. You'll get an error specifically saying that the game won't run on this region of console. If you're getting "Play DVD" and the system is treating it like a video DVD, I'm betting that your DVD drive is dying. :[

shaowebb

If you insert a DVD that is region locked into your 360, you should actually still see the game's logo on your dashboard. You'll get an error specifically saying that the game won't run on this region of console. If you're getting "Play DVD" and the system is treating it like a video DVD, I'm betting that your DVD drive is dying. :[

The thing is I popped in Akai Katana and it had no problem. Then UMVC3, Culdcept Saga, and Deus Ex HR. All pop up, boot and run fine with no noise or anything. This game just doesn't read for some reason. No image, no nothing. It thinks its a dvd. From what everyone is saying this can happen on bad prints of a disc so it looks like I'm experiencing that since everything else runs including the meaty Deus Ex game and Culdcept which is a card game with a lot of variables to check each hand to calculate phases. If those two aren't putting it through its paces checking for data in various locations on the discs then I'm clueless what would.

Its going back for a copy elsewhere. Sad I waited so long for a dud though. I'll keep a watch on my drive though just in case. I'd hate to rule out a real problem too early. Thanks for the concern everybody. Its been pretty touching how getting a Cave game that won't play sparked something in the hearts of all the company's fans here. Shmup pride. Nice to know everyone wanted to help so much. Thanks everyone.

So wait...you kill enemies, but they ALL suicide bullet when they die and no matter what you keep ending up with more and more bullets the more you kill? This would equate to insane gold, but oh man would it get rough at times to survive long enough to get some kills. Sounds great!

Suicide bullets only spawn from enemies if you kill them before they've fired at you. Otherwise, their bullets phase out and multiply.

Probably best to just show you, here's a random video of the first stage being done I just found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rqRQkdCrIM

If you're confused feel free to ask, I don't play anywhere near this level but I have a pretty good grasp of the game's mechanics. I should be able to explain something if you don't understand what is happening.

blanco21

I've never played one of their shmups, but Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 and ESP Galuda II are the best ones right?

This is the cheapest I could find them (<$40, free shipping, new), but its specifically says it only works on JP consoles...even though its the Platinum Collection re-release.

I'm no expert on this, but these are the versions that can be played on a US 360, correct?

http://www.yesasia.com/us/mushihime...n-japan-version/1023470948-0-0-0-en/info.html

http://www.yesasia.com/us/espgaluda...n-japan-version/1024202659-0-0-0-en/info.html

Thanks.

japtor

Best is a matter of opinion. (...but Ketsui is the best)

I'm not sure what the pricing is on it now, but the euro release of Dodonpachi Resurrection was cheap for a while. Otherwise there's Deathsmiles II and Akai Katana with US releases.

Just bought Espgaluda II on 360...Wow...I thought I knew how to play this game from the iOS version...I really have no idea.

So, I get I have a standard shot, a laser shot if I hold down the other button? Then there's the Guard button and then I have the "awaken" button, right?

So, what am I doing here? There are green jewels, gold sprockets, blue bullets, red bullets, purple bullets...

I also noticed I have a few different shots in "Awaken" mode?

Just bought Espgaluda II on 360...Wow...I thought I knew how to play this game from the iOS version...I really have no idea.

So, I get I have a standard shot, a laser shot if I hold down the other button? Then there's the Guard button and then I have the "awaken" button, right?

So, what am I doing here? There are green jewels, gold sprockets, blue bullets, red bullets, purple bullets...

I also noticed I have a few different shots in "Awaken" mode?

In a nutshell, in arcade/360 mode the green gems are what power your kakusei (awaken) mode - they are collected from enemies while you are in normal mode (blue bullets).

When you enter kakusei, bullets will turn purple (slow) and when you kill enemies, bullets they have fired will turn into gold. Using kakusei consumes green gems. If you get hit in this mode, you will automatically bomb (using half your energy meter).

When your green gems are depleted, you enter kakusei-over. Bullets will turn red (fast) and you will no longer earn gold. While you are in kakusei-over, a meter around your character will fill - the longer you are in this mode, the more you increase an item collection multiplier (which affects how many gems and gold you collect in all modes). You will still auto-bomb in this mode.

I explained zetsushikai (true awakening, I guess you can call it?) in a previous post on this page, and linked a video demonstrating the first stage using it.

I have no idea how the Black Label or Arrange systems work.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I've never played one of their shmups, but Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 and ESP Galuda II are the best ones right?

This is the cheapest I could find them (<$40, free shipping, new), but its specifically says it only works on JP consoles...even though its the Platinum Collection re-release.

I'm no expert on this, but these are the versions that can be played on a US 360, correct?

http://www.yesasia.com/us/mushihime...n-japan-version/1023470948-0-0-0-en/info.html

http://www.yesasia.com/us/espgaluda...n-japan-version/1024202659-0-0-0-en/info.html

Thanks.
Both work on US consoles. I'd go with Mushi Futari only at first, it's great and easy to pick up. Also worth checking out are Deathsmiles and Akai Katana on disc release in the US & Deathsmiles 2X on XBL GoD.

Galuda 2 is pretty hard and complex; I wouldn't recommend it if you've never played a Cave game before.

The thing is I popped in Akai Katana and it had no problem. Then UMVC3, Culdcept Saga, and Deus Ex HR. All pop up, boot and run fine with no noise or anything. This game just doesn't read for some reason. No image, no nothing. It thinks its a dvd. From what everyone is saying this can happen on bad prints of a disc so it looks like I'm experiencing that since everything else runs including the meaty Deus Ex game and Culdcept which is a card game with a lot of variables to check each hand to calculate phases. If those two aren't putting it through its paces checking for data in various locations on the discs then I'm clueless what would.

Its going back for a copy elsewhere. Sad I waited so long for a dud though. I'll keep a watch on my drive though just in case. I'd hate to rule out a real problem too early. Thanks for the concern everybody. Its been pretty touching how getting a Cave game that won't play sparked something in the hearts of all the company's fans here. Shmup pride. Nice to know everyone wanted to help so much. Thanks everyone.
If you still have it try reinserting the disc multiple times and installing it, possibly multiple times as well. Friend without a GAF account asked me to post this.

Top Bottom