• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup 2017 Finals [OT]- To Catch a Predator

Jachaos

Sharks fan huh? Nothing but respect for you guys. Gave us a hell of a battle especially Jones last year. I was lurking here last year and your fans had a lot of class without blaming the rule of offsides for losses.

Thanks, you deserved the cup, the better team won. We finally got our defense in order recently, something Thornton didn't have the luxury of in years before that (hell, just seeing that defense+goaltending in the link I posted makes me cringe), so I was hoping that was finally our year but then you guys came in with such depth and speed on offense. It's too bad we had to come out of the West the first year the East sent this good a team in a long time.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
They're too good of a team to not steal home ice. Pekka and Neal better not fuck up again, and Ekholm should be benched.

Well the Pens are pretty good too. You can never be too good to not steal home ice when the fact that you're on the road means you had less points in the regular season.

j-wood

I'm just gonna continue to challenge this narrative. The disallowed goal was completely legit as his foot was up at the same time the puck hit the blue line, let alone when it crossed the other side. If you don't like the rule ask them to change it in the offseason. No phantom call when Neal clearly cross checked. Be glad all of you flying into Murray never got called.

You misunderstood me. That power play should have been 4-4 because the of the flop.

The offsides? At best that's inconclusive. If you are sitting here honestly claiming you could see his foot and if it was up, then that's just your fandom coming through and I don't know what to tell you.

If the sides were reversed there then I would say the exact same thing, it should be inconclusive. Would I have gladly accepted the reversal? Of course. But I wouldn't be sitting here saying it was a spot on right call.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just gonna continue to challenge this narrative. The disallowed goal was completely legit as his foot was up at the same time the puck hit the blue line, let alone when it crossed the other side. If you don't like the rule ask them to change it in the offseason. No phantom call when Neal clearly cross checked. Be glad all of you flying into Murray never got called.

Totally a penalty by Jarnkrok

And that "offsides" was inconclusive at best to anyone who wasn't wearing homer goggles. Come on, man.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
You misunderstood me. That power play should have been 4-4 because the of the flop.

The offsides? At best that's inconclusive. If you are sitting here honestly claiming you could see his foot and if it was up, then that's just your fandom coming through and I don't know what to tell you.

If the sides were reversed there then I would say the exact same thing, it should be inconclusive. Would I have gladly accepted the reversal? Of course. But I wouldn't be sitting here saying it was a spot on right call.

I think logically there's no way his foot was on the ice. I'll call it against the Pens and admit when it's an undeserved call, but this one seems ridiculous to me. His foot was off the ice as the puck hit the blue line at almost the exact same time. If that's what the call was determining I could see the dispute. but the puck had to make it to the other side of the blue line before his foot came up. There's no way that happened. All the weight was off of it when the puck hit the blue line. It was pixilated but pretty obvious call.

j-wood

People were saying the rule of offsides or challenges shouldn't exist after that call which seems silly to me. People literally want a rule to change just because it benefited the Pens once.

I don't want a rule change. I want an honest call after a review. You didn't catch it live, and no way you could tell via replay. So you let it go.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I don't want a rule change. I want an honest call after a review. You didn't catch it live, and no way you could tell via replay. So you let it go.

well I'll just say again that his foot was off the ice as the puck hit the blue line and clearly off when it was on the other side. Close but correct. Much like an NFL goal line score where the ball just breaks the plain with the tip before being pushed back out.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You should never reverse a sequence of play.

Rule a goal bad, sure. That's done immediately on stoppage. But a goal bad because of something that occurred 30 seconds or more earlier when was originally ruled good? No. Only exception is when a missed goal happens.

At that point why even have linesmen?

Also the way the NHL handles the blue line is dumb. It should be considered neutral where it's both the neutral zone and offensive zone equally. The white ice should define entry and exit in context to the play. They used to handle it this way and I don't really know when or why it changed.

Offside plays should only be for passes too, while we're at it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
You should never reverse a sequence of play.

Rule a goal bad, sure. That's done immediately on stoppage. But a goal bad because of something that occurred 30 seconds or more earlier when was originally ruled good? No. Only exception is when a missed goal happens.

At that point why even have linesmen?

With you on this 100%.

Its like reversing a grand slam because the opposing manager successfully challenges a called "ball" from six pitches earlier.

j-wood

To go with the above to posters, by reversing the entire sequence of play, you are essentially saying that "offsides" effected the play. Does anyone really believe that?

This is also why shit like holding or offsides isn't reviewable in the NFL

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
There's a difference between literal rule and spirit of the rule. Surely, that goal being called off was NOT within the spirit of the rule, even though it might've been the literal rule. That's why the offside review has to be revisited, because this way it's hurting more than helping.

Socreges

Banned
Please everybody stop saying "offsides". You're fucking killing me

dead.gif

That's gotta be a record.

Pretty sure yes, that was I believe the longest time without a shot in NHL SCF finals history, and was the lowest shot total in finals history too...

Fuck it I'll take it.

But like how insane was that, Preds on their 8th shot against allow a goal that puts them down 3-0... they then take about 34 minutes to come back and tie the game... not allowing a Penguins shot on net in that time frame, and then 3 minutes after tying the game, the Pens get their first shot in 37 minutes and go up 4-3...

To spend all the time clawing your way back into the game only to let up a goal on the first shot in 37 minutes is fucking insane.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
People were saying the rule of offsides or challenges shouldn't exist after that call which seems silly to me. People literally want a rule to change just because it benefited the Pens once.

I've been saying the offside rule should change for like 2 years now.

ah it was fun coming here reading the commentary after watching the game, i knew there would be tears.

i gotta say it was a great game. the call to take away Subban's dirty goal was very, very good. one of the best calls i gotta say. Murray tending the goal.. oh man, what is there to say? one of the greatest to ever stand between the pipes. amazing. and of course Crosby and Malkin, beatiful beatiful plays by the two greats. very beatiful. a TREMENDOUS hockey team all around.

better luck to the THRASHVILLE "Predators" next time, maybe try your other Finnish goalie whatever his name was.

the series will be 4-0 for the Pens at this rate, believe me. 3 goals just in the first period in this game, who can argue against that? fantastic start to the series!!

purg3

slept with Malkin
That was one of the strangest games I've watched. Pens are super lucky to have won. I think if they actually start skating again, they will be okay though.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Really feeling #Blessed that Rinne stood on his head during our series, especially the last two games, and then decided that he was done for the year.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
If Rinne can't stop a shot GLOVESIDE with a clear view then he doesn't deserve to win the cup.

To be fair, he hadn't made a save in nearly 40 minutes of game time. Hard to stay focused. I kinda knew that after such a long stretch, the next Pens shot would either go in or Pekka would have a hard time with it.

I'm not sure how much of the game is his fault and how much of it comes down to blown defensive coverage and simple puck luck. Either way, it's just one game; there's still plenty of hockey to play.

ah it was fun coming here reading the commentary after watching the game, i knew there would be tears.

i gotta say it was a great game. the call to take away Subban's dirty goal was very, very good. one of the best calls i gotta say. Murray tending the goal.. oh man, what is there to say? one of the greatest to ever stand between the pipes. amazing. and of course Crosby and Malkin, beatiful beatiful plays by the two greats. very beatiful. a TREMENDOUS hockey team all around.

better luck to the THRASHVILLE "Predators" next time, maybe try your other Finnish goalie whatever his name was.

the series will be 4-0 for the Pens at this rate, believe me. 3 goals just in the first period in this game, who can argue against that? fantastic start to the series!!

Stop before you pull something.

Top Bottom