• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tracks that are as epic as Duel of the Fates? (Movie soundtrack discussion)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love movie soundtracks. Almost as much as I love game soundtracks. John Williams and his score for Star Wars, as overused and cliche as they have become, still hold the top spot in cinematic music for me. The Imperial March is absolutely perfect for an evil empire and its "the dragon" trope of Darth Vader. And Duel of the Fates is perhaps his magnum opus (good thing, too, as Episode I needed a redeeming factor).

latest

Tell me, GAF. What other tracks are as amazing as this? I'm not trying to say that this one is the best, and none can reach its level of glory. I am legitimately asking what stands up to it, as I really would like to have more music to listen to.

I mean don't get me wrong DOTF has its place in SW soundtrack lexicon but for everything one can criticize about Revenge of the Sith, BOTH is just such an amazing track for honestly one of my favorite set pieces in the series.

Isn't the version used in the final film the concert version or something? I do know that Lucas messed around with Duel of the Fates enough to make Williams unhappy, because the entire final act was reconfigured.

The movie it comes from: Just okay
The use of it in the movie: almost non-existent

BUT:

"What Are You Going to Do When You're Not Saving the World" by Hans Zimmer, from Man of Steel?

Damn good. Daaaaaaaaamn good.

As good as Williams' work on Superman: The Movie? Nah.

Not with the Prelude & Main Title on that score. And not with the Planet Krypton following shortly afterwards.

Hey, speaking of Preludes, probably the best bit of battle music I've heard in on both TV and Film is Bear McCreary's Prelude to War for Battlestar Galactica, which is fucking amazing.

This is partially my fault.

Basil Poledouris' entire Conan the Barbarian score is quite possibly the most epic score for a movie ever even to this day. This isn't a hot take either, its the god damned truth.

Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom

The Kitchen/The Orgy

Battle of the Moudns

This is some truth.

I think Brothers in Arms from Fury Road fits the bill.

This also works damn well.

Although speaking of Mad Max - technically this isn't film score, but one of the best trailers FOR Fury Road used this old piece by Verdi and it fit so well, they put it in the movie during the Bullet Farmer's last ride.

Depends on what defines as epic, but these themes and pieces of bits always leave me on the edge of my seat, thus I'd classify them as epic, only the first I'd argue is directly epic as Duel of The Fates. Some of these scores are very obscure on this site, so you may have not heard them. I prefer to spotlight lesser known works because I love film music in general, while these thread tend to turn into the same fifty or so more "mainstream" tracks eventually being posted.

The amazing Final Conflict theme everyone.

And lets not forget the best track from the score either.

Ben Hur

El Cid

The Lion In Winter

Zulu

Zulu Dawn

Lifeforce

Total Recall theme

Slipstream

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Sleepy Hollow

Judge Dredd

Jupiter Ascending

Stargate

And so on.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ennio Morricone was also a master of the epic track. Whether it was The Ecstasy of Gold from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly or the amazing set of songs used for what was quite possibly the greatest gun fighter dual ever in Once Upon a Time in the West.

Edit: To get a better feel for just how god damned good the tracks for the final duel in Once Upon a Time in the West really are you need to watch the entire scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwb3P0fuM1c&t=328s. Huge spoilers but god damned if this isn't one of the best scenes in cinema history.

Hans Zimmer - I Don't Think Now Is the Best Time

This has become one of my favorites. It's essentially a PotC score "best of" compilation in one track played at the climax of the trilogy. I don't even particularly like the movie it's in, but that music is epic as hell.

Also, anyone who doesn't like the docking scene of Interstellar and No Time For Caution can just get the fuck out of my face.

Hot take. I like "Battle of the Heroes" more than "Duel of the Fates."

I agree. Both Battle of the Heroes and Anakin vs Obi-Wan are fantastic and I love how Williams weaves the classic themes into them.

Top Bottom