• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Special Stages, Bonus Stages, & Time Attack Shown Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qoc-As7hWc4

Just uploaded by the Sonic the Hedgehog YouTube account.

addd7ce26d4ceb9344061a1178b79b23.jpg
d73ea24db08a718dfa967d10960cbec3.png

Also shows some variations of both with Tails & Knuckles (and different scenery), and some new footage of Studiopolis Act 2 & Chemical Plant.

For those who don't know, in the Special Stage collecting sphere increases your speed when you collect enough of them to go up a match speed, while collecting rings increases your time. Your goal is to catch the UFO, which will give you a Chaos Emerald.

Blue Spheres is for checkpoints hit to go to a bonus stage for extra goodies, IE power-ups, lives, rings, etc.

---

UPDATE:

Green Hill Zone Act 1 Time Attack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FvYZotwjOU

BiggNife

God those new special stages look incredible

I was never a fan of Blue Spheres though. Not sure if this is a controversial opinion or not.

MrBadger

Oh shit, Blue Spheres is back after all!

The low poly 3D models are glorious so I'm down for these new special stages. And I know a lot of people wanted Blue Spheres back so this is really cool. It's like how Sonic 3&K brought back the Sonic 1 special stages as bonus rounds. This really could have launched back then!

Also I caught that sneak peak of Studiopolis act 2's music

Ferr986

heh, yikes at Blue Spheres, not a fan of them. Thanks god the actual Special Stages looks way better.

Also, is the second stage shown a new area?

GenericUser

I pray to god you have to earn the chaos emeralds in the new CD-like Special Stages, I hated the blue spheres special stage in S3&K.

Looks dope though, day one.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

God those new special stages look incredible

I was never a fan of Blue Spheres though. Not sure if this is a controversial opinion or not.

Oh shit, Blue Spheres is back after all!

The low poly 3D models are glorious so I'm down for these new special stages. And I know a lot of people wanted Blue Spheres back so this is really cool. It's like how Sonic 3&K brought back the Sonic 1 special stages as bonus rounds. This really could have launched back then!

Also I caught that sneak peak of Studiopolis act 2's music

heh, yikes at Blue Spheres, not a fan of them. Thanks god the actual Special Stages looks way better.

Also, is the second stage shown a new area?

I think Blue Spheres might work better as a Bonus Stage rather than a Chaos Emerald stage, since then the goal isn't strictly just to win them but collect what you can inside of them to get bonuses, like items, rings, lives, etc. I actually think it's a very wise way to handle it.

Second stage shown is Studiopolis Act 2, which we hadn't seen before.

Berordn

So are the S3K stages always going to be at the checkpoints?

Yup, looks like they're just the bonus stages for points/lives/continues/whatever. Probably totally skippable, but there for anyone looking for a challenge.

It actually suits them a lot better, I think. They're long stages and this makes them break things up less than in S3&K, while the new special stages seem really snappy and straightforward.

Loz246789

Man, I'm not a huge fan of sonic 3, but I have to admit the blue sphere stage remix sounds pretty great.

More importantly though, I love everything about the actual special stages. It's nice to have something that isn't a half pipe/based on sonic 1 for a change.

VRMN

Wonder what the bonus stages get you. It looks like they're just the S3&K stages in HD, but bonus stages were for power ups and rings in that game and I'm not sure how they translate here.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell is in that UFO that we need to catch it so badly?

I'm so in on this game...

muteki

Yup, looks like they're just the bonus stages for points/lives/continues/whatever. Probably totally skippable, but there for anyone looking for a challenge.

Now i'm wondering if they could rotate through S1, S2, and S3's stages at the checkpoints like how in Sonic 3 had S1's, the gumball machine, and the other annoying one.

Aki-at

New special stages looks great, I approve!

But I never liked blue spheres so that's my only negative with the game so far.

bede-x

I loved the blue spheres so it's nice to see them back and the new one looks decent as well. Certainly not the CD disaster it could have been.

Guess Who

Banned
Err, didn't see this (longer) thread! Cross-posting from the other one:

1. Special stage design looks clever. I love how there seems to be little shortcuts you can take if you're attentive.

2. Shed a tear at how good Blue Sphere looks. Also, that split-second Studiopolis Act 2 tease!

3. I've been saying this since the very first trailer, but people haven't really appreciated how much of a game-changer Drop Dash is gonna be, especially in speedrunning.

Het_Nkik

Yesss! Blue Spheres is easily my favorite Sonic special stage. Tough but fair with none of that memorization bs like in the Half-Pipe.

I'm so glad Blue Sphere is tucked away in the checkpoints, I like it enough as a small diversion but actually perfecting each stage to get the emeralds in 3&K could be frustarting as heck considering how easy it is to fail with one misstep.

Liking the look of the CD inspired UFO chase, could it be the first special stage I actually enjoy (outside of Sonic 1 MS which was still standard gameplay).

Superior 3D Sonic confirmed lol

Also not seeing Tails loosing rings is good news :p

I LOOOOOOVE THE NEW BONUS STAGE AND THE RETURNS OF BLUE SPHERES!!

GenericUser

THAT S3&K SPECIAL STAGE REMIX, HNNNGHHHH

S3&K Special Stages >>>>> Sonic 2 Special Stages. Come at me!

Sonic 1 SS > Sonic 3 SS > Sonic 2 SS

Genesis couldn't handle 3d tubes, so SS in Sonic 2 was more luck then skill imo. At least you could teach yourself the muscle memory to win the S3 stages. Glad Mania will dump both concepts (at least for the chaos emeralds).

Liking the look of the CD inspired UFO chase, could it be the first special stage I actually enjoy (outside of Sonic 1 MS which was still standard gameplay).

Yeah, I'm digging the short time limits and good deal of control the new special stages give you (relative to other special stages, at least :p). Easily looks like the best version yet.

Sonic 3 blue spheres is the worst out of all 3 main games to me, but glad they are there.

Also a shame blue spheres in mania doesn't use the 3D special stage visuals, the old 3 frame running sprite with some extra shade applied is ugly.

I'm happy as hell to see that the 3d sphere is back and that it's now a lamp post thing (I'll miss the gumball machine though).

The other bonus stage looked like the one from Sonic 2 but tamer and not as fun. Almost looks like a 32x protoype for Sonic Adventure.

Sonic 3 blue spheres is the worst out of all 3 main games to me

Did you play Sonic 1 and beat a stage with 50 rings? Something way worse than Sonic 3 takes place whenever that occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom