• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

ajim

Guys, is it weird to say that I feel Shenmue, as an experience, has helped me become a better person as I've gotten older? I feel like, playing this game when I was younger had a large impact on me, and the way I view things about being angry for no reason, thinking rationally and going for what you want among other things.

I mean, its a combination of the teachings Ryo has in his so-far-short-quest for revenge, couples by the surroundings, people and music.

I really feel like Shenmue has played a role in shaping some of how I am now, as an adult.

Maybe I'm just stupid. But no piece of entertainment has ever made me feel and think like this.

I feel like this is the only place on the net (and Shenmue Dojo) I could tell someone this. haha.

I LOVE YOU SHENMUE! YU SUZUKI! EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS GREAT GAME!

Jcgamer60

Guys, is it weird to say that I feel Shenmue, as an experience, has helped me become a better person as I've gotten older? I feel like, playing this game when I was younger had a large impact on me, and the way I view things about being angry for no reason, thinking rationally and going for what you want among other things.

I mean, its a combination of the teachings Ryo has in his so-far-short-quest for revenge, couples by the surroundings, people and music.

I really feel like Shenmue has played a role in shaping some of how I am now, as an adult.

Maybe I'm just stupid. But no piece of entertainment has ever made me feel and think like this.

I feel like this is the only place on the net (and Shenmue Dojo) I could tell someone this. haha.

I LOVE YOU SHENMUE! YU SUZUKI! EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS GREAT GAME!

You're definitely not alone on this. The Shenmue games has also inspired many fans to travel to both Japan and China. A few have even made videos like the late Rodger Swan, and the more recent documentaries by Andrew Pine.

Tokyo Swan 39: Real Life Shenmue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfmDm_MKGv0

In Ryo's Footsteps - Shenmue 2 Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UBw7aLpZo

In Ryo's Footsteps 2 - Shenmue Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioy6DEddBUg

Yeah Shenmue was unique in a way that it starred a relatively normal guy who happened to know some kung fu. Most games back than (and still) are about these super characters who goes against unbelievable enemies in fantastic settings. Not that that's a bad thing but the characters and the worlds are harder to relate to than Shenmue's.

Ryo was this genuinely cool and likeable guy who could've existed.

master15

I think many have talked and highlighted what an amazing soundtrack the games have. Along with main tunes, one of my favourite tunes and indeed scenes in the first game was Ryo borrowing Naoyuki's bike

tumblr_m4w7zgZoCd1qed2dxo1_1280.jpg

I also think some of the animation really stands up still

tumblr_ma1u8slaer1rxpb1yo1_400.gif

I think many have talked and highlighted what an amazing soundtrack the games have. Along with main tunes, one of my favourite tunes and indeed scenes in the first game was Ryo borrowing Naoyuki's bike

tumblr_m4w7zgZoCd1qed2dxo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ma1u8slaer1rxpb1yo1_400.gif

Man, this game really does look amazing in HD. What the heck are SEGA playing at? Release the HD collection already.

Borrowing Naoyuki's bike will always be a special moment in Shenmue 1.

Yeah Shenmue was unique in a way that it starred a relatively normal guy who happened to know some kung fu. Most games back than (and still) are about these super characters who goes against unbelievable enemies in fantastic settings. Not that that's a bad thing but the characters and the worlds are harder to relate to than Shenmue's.

Ryo was this genuinely cool and likeable guy who could've existed.

He was likeable, but there was nothing cool about Ryo. He was the ultimate straight-as-an-arrow dork.

"Hey, don't you guys know that blackmail is waaaaay uncool!"

Maligna

Banned
I'm curious. What would you guys think if Shenmue HD was confirmed at GDC as a Vita exclusive? Would those of you who don't already own one, buy a Vita? Or just support it by buying the game by itself without owning the system.

I'm hoping it's announced for PS3, PS4 AND Vita. I'd buy it on all three, two times each. I don't think Vita games have spectacular sales. If it was announced and we somehow made it the best selling Vita game of all time, I think it would go far to proving the series viability and maybe inching us closer to Shenmue 3.

This is all highly unlikely however.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4w7zgZoCd1qed2dxo1_1280.jpg[img]

[img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma1u8slaer1rxpb1yo1_400.gif[img][/QUOTE]
Holy shit, yes! I just got goosebumps listening to that tune.

I didn't even know this thread was created. I'm not hyping myself for the 19th but hopefully it's something good. And every time I see a Shenmue thread, I must post Reuben Kee's arrangement on Shenmue's reflection: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN4QFpKauq0[/url]

...I need to replay this series again...

Atenhaus

My first username on forums was "HazukiDarkside" - obviously influenced by Shenmue. Still my favorite game of all time. Thread subscribed!

master15

tumblr_m3yxmfK69M1qjhya0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m3yxmfK69M1qjhya0o2_1280.jpg

Not sure if this happened to anyone else but either on my first or second playthrough I encountered the "harbour glitch" where essentially a cut-scene with Mad Angels approaching and starting a fight with Ryo isn't triggered thus, if you don't go to a particular area the game keeps playing on a loop. I think I worked like a whole week at the habour but obviously wasn't able to advance the story. It was like a version of ground hog day!

At least I got a ton of money for capsules and soda!

tumblr_m9qirnKDYQ1qfa1jdo1_400.gif

KageMaru

I'm curious. What would you guys think if Shenmue HD was confirmed at GDC as a Vita exclusive? Would those of you who don't already own one, buy a Vita? Or just support it by buying the game by itself without owning the system.

I'm hoping it's announced for PS3, PS4 AND Vita. I'd buy it on all three, two times each. I don't think Vita games have spectacular sales. If it was announced and we somehow made it the best selling Vita game of all time, I think it would go far to proving the series viability and maybe inching us closer to Shenmue 3.

This is all highly unlikely however.

I would buy a Vita just to play the games. IF an HD remake is ever announced, I would hope it's on as many systems as possible. I would definitely buy a copy for every system I own.

And every time I see a Shenmue thread, I must post Reuben Kee's arrangement on Shenmue's reflection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN4QFpKauq0

...I need to replay this series again...

I get goosebumps every time I watch this video. So sad he's no longer with us. =(

Synth

Does anyone else remember this promo footage?

HMV Dreamcast Preview

I got this video from (I think Oxford Street?) HMV when Computer & Video Games magazine ran a Sega Rally 2 time trial there. I've only ever been able to find the Shenmue segment online, but there were trailers for other games such as Powerstone, HoTD2, Code Veronica, Soul Calibur etc on there too. I watched the Shenmue trailer on this an absurd amount of times whilst waiting for the Dreamcast to release. Probably my favourite VHS ever, lol. I'd love to find the rest of it online someday, as I have no idea what happened to my copy.

It's also surprising just how Shenmue II focused the footage was, considering that the first Shenmue was still miles out at the time.

DeVeAn

That main theme always brings a tear to my eye. I wish I could go back and relive the time I first played it.

Videoneon

Can we change our username? I'd like to.

Yeah, just PM a mod. The time it takes to make the change can vary, though.

I haven't played any of the games (was waiting for the damn HD versions of Shenmue and Skies!) but some of the music here sounds great.

Maligna

Banned
Yeah, just PM a mod. The time it takes to make the change can vary, though.

I haven't played any of the games (was waiting for the damn HD versions of Shenmue and Skies!) but some of the music here sounds great.

Thanks! Now how do I find a mod?

And you're right. Shenmue's music is amazing.
Here's a small interview with Yuzo Koshiro (of Streets of Rage fame) who worked on it:
http://www.rocketbaby.net/interviews_koshiro_shenmue.html

ajim

So I started replaying Shenmue this morning on NullDC after my 4th Dreamcast decided to cark it.

Feels cool playing on my laptop, but man are the controls taking some getting used to.

Still has that same Shenmue magic tho!

Also, I've always wanted a Shenmue tattoo but could never decide on it.

Maybe something like:
ShenmueArtbook1.jpg

But more refined.

Are there many Shenmue tattoos out there?

So I started replaying Shenmue this morning on NullDC after my 4th Dreamcast decided to cark it.

Feels cool playing on my laptop, but man are the controls taking some getting used to.

Still has that same Shenmue magic tho!

Also, I've always wanted a Shenmue tattoo but could never decide on it.

Maybe something like:
ShenmueArtbook1.jpg

But more refined.

Are there many Shenmue tattoos out there?

You know you want to. :)

lpshen_01_37b.jpg

ajim

Haha I've considered that, but I can't support the Chi You Men!

For reference, here are some from Shenmue Dojo which I really like:
picture013fj0.jpg

20120419_225505.jpg

20120420_223201.jpg

I think they're beautiful.

orient

Neo Member
Here's mine:
shentat.jpg

I actually got it in Japan when I visited last year. Yokosuka was a bit too far out of the way but parts of Kyoto reminded me of Shenmue. The shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto stops at Yokohama so I did get a little glimpse.

ajim

Here's mine:
shentat.jpg

I actually got it in Japan when I visited last year. Yokosuka was a bit too far out of the way but parts of Kyoto reminded me of Shenmue. The shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto stops at Yokohama so I did get a little glimpse.

Awesome, dude. You've inspired me to get one.

Do you have a good quality reference drawing that you took in or something? That would be handy!

And I went on the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto last year and honestly didn't even notice Yokohama! I'm going back again this year, so, I'll definitely have to pay a visit! And Dobuita street obviously.

Is anyone here expecting anything from the post-mortem @ GDC?

I tend to be very optimistic and positive in general. However, when it comes to Shenmue, I can't count how much times we've been disappointed.

Personally, im not expecting anything other than the usual Shenmue / Dreamcast interview structure.

I'd love to be completely wrong though.

v0rtikal

call me naive, but I'm expecting a PS4-related announcement. Shenmue I and II HD and Shenmue 3 PS4 exclusive ;D , seriously that'd make me buy the console.

Im more inclined to think that there may be a possible announcement at E3 or TGS.

I guess we just have to read between the lines when Suzuki is asked about Shenmue 3 at GDC. Will he look disappointed, happy, etc.

I really hope he doesn't do what he did a few years back, and says that noone can ask about Shenmue 3 during the conference. (French one I believe)

Then again, there's nothing stopping fans from directing their questions towards Mark Cerny.

Cerny and Suzuki should co create Shenmue 3

Top Bottom