• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: How To Fake Your Way Through Conversations About The Hottest Video Games

Corpekata

Banned
That's cool, but they can't then turn around and ask people to take their next article about gender issues or violence in video games seriously. Nothing wrong with being a parody site like the Onion, but you can't have it both ways.

Yes you can? This seems like a pretty arbitrary rule.

Can you not read the New Yorker's regular articles because they print satire ones as well?

That's cool, but they can't then turn around and ask people to take their next article about gender issues or violence in video games seriously. Nothing wrong with being a parody site like the Onion, but you can't have it both ways.

pretty sure you can still make jokes while talking about serious issues

see: literal centuries of satire

Yes you can? These seems like a pretty arbitrary rule.

Can you not read the New Yorker's regular articles because they print satire ones as well?

I guess, but if that were the case with Kotaku, why would there be people in this thread taking this article seriously? Maybe because they have set a precedent for themselves?...I don't know.

eXistor

Why would you fake your way through any conversation? Just tell the truth. If people ask about Overwatch I say I don't play becasue it's not my kind of game. There, conversation about boring game over and they won't bother me about it at a later date.

SystemBug

people are losing their shit over this article really need to chill out. its obviously supposed to be tongue in cheek about how seriously people take video games.

sonicmj1

I guess, but if that were the case with Kotaku, why would there be people in this thread taking this article seriously? Maybe because they have set a precedent for themselves?...I don't know.
Kotaku have already set a precedent by breaking multiple big game leaks, putting out long form article dealing with the industry and gaming culture at large, and interacting with the community and taking in feedback.
I'm not even the biggest fan of Kotaku but going at them for a silly little satire piece is the definition of nitpicking.

Kotaku

What it is
Click baity trash journalism about video games and popular culture (nerd stuff).

Uncontroversial statements
"jason schreier is the only good thing about them"

"Are they not banned on GAF yet?"

"They're not as bad as Polygon"

Don't bring up
Hulk Hogan sex tape and being black balled by publishers.

Eject Button
Tell people you haven't read their latest breaking news because you read it first on GAF last week.

Yes. Kotaku is garbo.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Gamers lack basic social tools to detect satire and humor?

Actually I had assumed the people taking it "seriously" were also employing the same brand of satire but now I'm not so sure.

Budi

How to fake your way as a journalist.

4BvHSffsBtRJu.gif

Lijik

at the very least this thread hasnt had someone pull that corny shit of posting their mission statement yet

So people are saying this is a joke.......so where is the joke?
It's both a joke about the absurdity of the premise (needing to fake that you've played the latest Hanes for street cred) as well as the repetitive nature of discussion on popular games. Hence all of the easy non-controversial statements you can offer, along with the hot button issues to avoid. I thought that was pretty obvious.

IcyStorm

Kotaku have already set a precedent by breaking multiple big game leaks, putting out long form article dealing with the industry and gaming culture at large, and interacting with the community and taking in feedback.
I'm not even the biggest fan of Kotaku but going at them for a silly little satire piece is the definition of nitpicking.

lol the hatred against Kotaku and the Gizmodo Media Group is pretty unreal. It's often a completely narrow minded and very simplistic view of their publications, and their "critics" really love to use Gawker's mistakes to paint all the publications with the same brush. Not to defend every single thing that every one of the websites has done, because they've all made their share of mistakes, Gawker and old Gizmodo in particular, but it's ridiculous.

... but they can? And we as readers have the ability to use our heads and read articles differently using context even if the articles come from the same publication. Kotaku isn't trying to be a completely serious website all the time - it never has been and it doesn't HAVE to be. You can have a mix of great news coverage of the industry, deep looks at the various subcultures and special interest happenings, and purely silly, fun things like this. There's a perception that "legit" journalism requires a publication to be 100% serious reporting with no fun and no humor, but that's not true.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I thought the whole reason people read GAF was so we could fake our way through conversations about games we never played.

Just me?

Yeah, no one actually plays games here. We're all just too busy talking about them. It's much easier to do that than boot up a game on console or PC. That shit's a commitment.

jholmes

How to fake your way as a journalist.

Kotaku

What it is
Click baity trash journalism about video games and popular culture (nerd stuff).

Uncontroversial statements
"jason schreier is the only good thing about them"

"Are they not banned on GAF yet?"

"They're not as bad as Polygon"

Don't bring up
Hulk Hogan sex tape and being black balled by publishers.

Eject Button
Tell people you haven't read their latest breaking news because you read it first on GAF last week.

Savage, but I laughed.

Is it just me or are the worst people always on my team, and the best people are always on the enemy team? Overwatch matchmaking am I right people? [takes a sip while glancing around the table hoping for positive reactions]

wamberz1

Funny article. Indeed poise discussion is to be avoided, learned that the hard way.

And I see as usual people are tripping over themselves to get hot slights off at an article that is clearly meant to just be a fun thing, but hey whatever gives your E-Peen a hard on I guess

AgeEighty

I think it's supposed to be a fairly tongue in cheek humor article designed for people who have in fact played those games, so the number of people in this thread treating it as a serious advocacy of bluffing your way through game conversations is fascinating.

sonicmj1

You make it sound like that would increase the chances that people mistake it as real news, but isn't it the opposite?

Usually satire is marked as such

If the title of this article isn't enough of a marker for you, then you're probably beyond help.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Why would you say you've played a game you haven't?

Did you forget where you are? I fully expect 50% of the users of Neogaf to believe the article is completely serious, 25% to realize it's humor, and 25% to realize it is humor and still be offended.
It's satirical, but I'm also wondering, do people actually do this?

What....

They're allowed to make a joke every know and then...

Because people see Kotaku and lose all sense of rationality

I mean, maybe because those people are just kinda dumb?

And this

So people are saying this is a joke.......so where is the joke?

The whole thing? You can not find it funny if you want but it doesn't make it not a piece of humour writing

SystemBug

Back here just to soak in some of the replies. This article, continued with this thread. It's like a circle, and makes this experience so much funnier.

Top Bottom