• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

I have no idea...

Five cuts are clear: Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake), Eddie Johnson (Aris Thessaloniki)

That leaves two, a forward and a midfielder, to be cut from these 25:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton)

DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Jay DeMerit (Watford), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan), Heath Pearce (FC Dallas), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)

MIDFIELDERS (10): DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers), Alejandro Bedoya (Örebro), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Stuart Holden (Bolton), José Torres (Pachuca)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Edson Buddle (Los Angeles Galaxy), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Herculez Gomez (Puebla)

NoRéN

Sol.. said:
You cut Beasley and Ching.
5 more...and why Ching? That guy is a workhorse. He can hold the ball, take the abuse(which the US forwards always get) and never gives up. Maybe he'sot a starter but he can come on as a sub and really provide a spark for the Nats.

ngower

How are you guys saying Rogers is an easy cut? He had a great run out tonight.

I cut:

Jonathan Bornstein
Chad Marshall
Alejandro Bedoya
Sacha Kljestan
Brian Ching
Eddie Johnson
Feilhaber/Buddle/Torress/Gooch/Goodson

My rationale behind the last bit is that Feilhaber is great, but might be too one-dimensional, Buddle could just be scoring in MLS, Torres is quality but could get tossed about, Gooch could be injured, and Goodson could be easily exploited.

I take Rogers, he's an amazing option off the bench.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
woodchuck said:
holden looks like a stud. he showed creativity and confidence going forward.

Showed an awesome amount of hustle

US defense looked soft though. I liked the look of the offense but I'm not really looking forward too tit for tat goals.

NoRéN

ngower said:
How are you guys saying Rogers is an easy cut? He had a great run out tonight.

I cut:

Jonathan Bornstein
Chad Marshall
Alejandro Bedoya
Sacha Kljestan
Brian Ching
Eddie Johnson
Feilhaber/Buddle/Torress/Gooch/Goodson

My rationale behind the last bit is that Feilhaber is great, but might be too one-dimensional, Buddle could just be scoring in MLS, Torres is quality but could get tossed about, Gooch could be injured, and Goodson could be easily exploited.

I take Rogers, he's an amazing option off the bench.
But we have to see this based on positions. Donovan will most likely be our starting LM. So, he needs a back-up and Beasley earned it(or at least made a good case for it). Rogers would just be a 3rd LM.
Torres plays the same position, LM. He has been great as a sub in qualifying. Don't rule him out cuz of size. Counter-attacking football is what the US can do and him coming on in the 60th is something that could prove very useful.

woodchuck said:
holden looks like a stud. he showed creativity and confidence going forward.

FUCK YES!!!!!!!! Thank you, Owen Coyle!!!!

Eteric Rice said:
We have a soccer team? Is there a stream somewhere? I don't have cable. :(
ESPN3 and channelsurfing.net are your friends.

Wes

venison crêpe
You looked organised most of the time but flaky under pressure. The third goal in particular there were numerous chances to clear the ball. Remained a constant threat on the counter even without your best attacking talent.

We played Mexico so as to familiarise ourselves with a team from North America and their playstyle but the fact is the two of you play quite differently. Hope we're not reliant on that as I can still see us faltering in Rustenberg.

Oh and the WC thread should be ready to go up tomorrow.

NoRéN

Wes said:
You looked organised most of the time but flaky under pressure. The third goal in particular there were numerous chances to clear the ball. Remained a constant threat on the counter even without your best attacking talent.

We played Mexico so as to familiarise ourselves with a team from North America and their playstyle but the fact is the two of you play quite differently. Hope we're not reliant on that as I can still see us faltering in Rustenberg.

Oh and the WC thread should be ready to go up tomorrow.
Thanks for your insight, Wes.
Yeah, I figured that was the purpose of the Mexico Friendly. And, you're most definitely right. Mexico is a FOOTBALL country with a damn rich history of Football and play down-right great on the big stage. So, it is definitely different from the brand of Football we play(out of necessity).
Regarding the Defense, it's always shaky. There was only one starter tonight ans he was playing his first match after returning from a knee injury that kept him out for, what, 7 months.

sestrugen

I'm excited to see the USA on this next WC, I think they can really show their true worth this time around. Always good to see a team from my area do well in the WC. Sadly the chances of seeing my national team on the world tournament seem pretty slim.

NoRéN

J.M.Reyes said:
I'm excited to see the USA on this next WC, I think they can really show their true worth this time around. Always good to see a team from my area do well in the WC. Sadly the chances of seeing my national team on the world tournament seem pretty slim.
Chin up, man. I've met nothing but cool Guatemala fans at qualifiers. Hey, we've gotten this far. I'm sure the development is in the books for ya!

sestrugen

NoRéN said:
Chin up, man. I've met nothing but cool Guatemala fans at qualifiers. Hey, we've gotten this far. I'm sure the development is in the books for ya!

Thanks man. It's kinda sad to see all the other national teams develop and improve over time but Guatemala seems to do the complete opposite :eek: but anyways, best of luck to the USA, Mexico and Honduras on the WC, will be watching their matches for sure and I hope we can get some upsets on the big teams (looking at you England!)

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
NoRéN said:
5 more...and why Ching? That guy is a workhorse. He can hold the ball, take the abuse(which the US forwards always get) and never gives up. Maybe he'sot a starter but he can come on as a sub and really provide a spark for the Nats.

I agree with bhaskar's list I was just adding the last two.

And to be frank I don't like Ching.

yep...

NoRéN

Sol.. said:
I agree with basher's list I was just adding the last two.

And to be frank I don't like Ching.

yep...
Oh, ok. Aww, come on! Ching's good. And, a real cool guy. Really humble(at least when i met him).

xbhaskarx

NoRéN said:
Regarding the Defense, it's always shaky. There was only one starter tonight ans he was playing his first match after returning from a knee injury that kept him out for, what, 7 months.

The defense isn't great, particularly with the questions at LB, but the bigger problem today was that the US just isn't very deep. The drop-off from the starters to the rest of the roster is considerable.

timetokill said:
So it's something like....

1. Football (NFL)
2. College football (NCAAF)
3. Baseball (MLB)
4. Basketball (NBA)
5. College basketball (NCAAB)
6. UFC/MMA
7. Ice Hockey (NHL)
8. Women's Beach Volleyball
9. Little League World Series (LLS)
10. Soccer

:p
You forgot the national spelling bee

I love the WC. GO USA!!!

xbhaskarx said:
I don't really understand the point of these comments when my point was that soccer is NOT popular relative to other team sports here in the US.

It was half a joke, half a response suggesting that saying soccer is the "fifth most popular sport in the US" is still overselling it.

In all honesty I'm really thankful for your OP and for the thread. :D I didn't mean to burst your balloon or anything. I always end up watching the World Cup anyway even though I hate some aspects of the sport. This thread will be really useful.

Between this thread, the Nike promo, and the sick US jerseys, I may actually be into this whole World Cup thingy the world keeps talking about.

I'll have some of my soccer fan friends guide me. Getting a US home Altidore jersey next week. Luckily I don't work or have classes to attend this summer during the World Cup time.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
GoldenEye 007 said:
Between this thread, the Nike promo, and the sick US jerseys, I may actually be into this whole World Cup thingy the world keeps talking about.

I'll have some of my soccer fan friends guide me. Getting a US home Altidore jersey next week. Luckily I don't work or have classes to attend this summer during the World Cup time.

Its always fun actually witnessing the controversy (that's always sure to happen), like Zidan's head butt from the last WC.

Subitai

timetokill said:
So it's something like....

1. Football (NFL)
1a. College football (NCAAF)
2. Stock Car Racing (Nascar)
3. Baseball (MLB)
4. Basketball (NBA)
5. College basketball (NCAAB)
6. UFC/WEC/Strikeforce/MMA
7. Ice Hockey (NHL)
8. Golf (PGA)
9. Soccer
10. Lacrosse

:p
Fixed :p

I was looking at those player rankings and Howard is rated lowest of the 3 if I'm reading it correctly. What's the deal?

So I'm all getting hyped for the World Cup myself.

To show my support, I went and bought a Nike ID version of the USA team's away jersey. It also has a nod to me being a Fullmetal Alchemist fan. :lol

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

Will definitely be wearing it Day 1. :D

I measured myself and I fell into the range of a small jersey according to the sizing chart at worldsoccershop.com. I normally wear medium sized shirts, but I never really have properly fitted myself or anything. How do they fit?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
On behalf of ScotGAF, you have our support when you play England. I'll be watching the game live at 3.30am in Tokyo, and I can already hear the Japanese/American people asking me why I'm supporting the USA.

Ikuu said:
Hopefully you guys can beat England, after that I don't really care though it would be nice to see Edu do well. Last time I saw Beasley play he was utter shit and could barely handle playing against fucking Hibs, not sure if he got any better as the season went on.

Beasley's been released. He was a decent player, but the abuse aimed at him was fucking ridiculous.

GoldenEye 007 said:
I measured myself and I fell into the range of a small jersey according to the sizing chart at worldsoccershop.com. I normally wear medium sized shirts, but I never really have properly fitted myself or anything. How do they fit?

Slim.

I'm personally a medium, but though the medium was perfect, it was just a bit more snug than I wanted it to be, so I had to go with a large for the jersey - which is a bit too loose. I really hate being in between sizes... The upside is that it's much more breathable for when it heats up during the summer.

Also picked this shirt up at the Nike store (size M).

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

Auron_Kale said:
Slim.

I'm personally a medium, but though the medium was perfect, it was just a bit more snug than I wanted it to be, so I had to go with a large for the jersey - which is a bit too loose. I really hate being in between sizes... The upside is that it's much more breathable for when it heats up during the summer.
Hmm. Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of lol -- don't want it too tight, but I don't want it loose either.

I went to the official US Soccer store and they have a small at 35"-38" chest and 5'7"-5'9" height. I measured myself at 37" and 5'11" height. The recommendation from them is the chest size rules if height goes in another category. Decisions, decisions. Guess I can err on the side of a bit more snug if it comes down to it.

GoldenEye 007 said:
Hmm. Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of lol -- don't want it too tight, but I don't want it loose either.

I went to the official US Soccer store and they have a small at 35"-38" chest and 5'7"-5'9" height. I measured myself at 37" and 5'11" height. The recommendation from them is the chest size rules if height goes in another category. Decisions, decisions. Guess I can err on the side of a bit more snug if it comes down to it.

Yeah. In retrospect, I'd probably get the medium, but the large is perfectly serviceable. I pretty much tried on just the regular jerseys at the Nike store before I placed my order, since you can only get Nike ID stuff online. Small was quite snug, but I fit into it easily. Medium was ideally perfect, but just a bit tight around the sleeves. Large is baggy everywhere (chest, sleeves, hip area). Extra Large felt like a night shirt. :p

xbhaskarx

industrian said:
On behalf of ScotGAF, you have our support when you play England. I'll be watching the game live at 3.30am in Tokyo, and I can already hear the Japanese/American people asking me why I'm supporting the USA.

It's okay, just remind them that Stuart Holden was born in Aberdeen, Scotland.
And of course Maurice Edu scored a 93rd minute winner for the Rangers against Celtic.

santouras

Will be following Onyewu's progress. As a Milan supporter was disappointing to see him unavailable for 99.9% of the season, but hoping he has something to offer.

Socreges

Banned
I was in Madrid, in a bar, surrounded by Spaniards and Americans, when the U.S. beat Spain last year in the Confederations Cup. They really gained my respect with that win. I still can't fucking believe they did it. It was incredibly unlikely.

I just picked my bracket and I've got the U.S.A. bowing out in the quarters.

xbhaskarx

Subitai said:
I was looking at those player rankings and Howard is rated lowest of the 3 if I'm reading it correctly. What's the deal?

The US produces a lot of good goalkeepers... Metrics like the Castrol rankings are interesting, but wherever he may place on the list I don't think any US fan would argue that Howard shouldn't be starting for us.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Damn, impressive thread! I will be rooting for the US this world cup, along with a few other underdogs like Chile.
The England/US match should be epic, if somehow the US wins, the meltdowns in the UK will be glorious and hilarious.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
missbreedsiddx said:
Damn, impressive thread! I will be rooting for the US this world cup, along with a few other underdogs like Chile.
The England/US match should be epic, if somehow the US wins, the meltdowns in the UK will be glorious and hilarious.
hs2nh3.jpg

I particularly love football fan over-reactions. It's just so epic :D

Kabouter

xbhaskarx said:
1.American football (NFL)
2.Baseball (MLB)
3.Basketball (NBA)
4.Ice Hockey (NHL)
You would think that many decades of large scale Latin-American immigration into the US would lead soccer to eclipse ice hockey in popularity.

xbhaskarx

Kabouter said:
You would think that many decades of large scale Latin-American immigration into the US would lead soccer to eclipse ice hockey in popularity.

Ice hockey is mainly popular among white people. Latin American immigrants are still soccer fans, but they are also into both football and baseball.
I think soccer will eclipse ice hockey soon enough. As much as I hate ESPN, they will use their hype machine to push soccer considering they have the US television rights to the next two World Cups. Their coverage of this World Cup is going to be quite impressive.
Edit: On the other hand, Americans love winners, and the national ice hockey team is a lot better than the national soccer team. And as someone stated earlier, the best players in the world are in the NHL, whereas MLS is not highly regarded internationally.

missbreedsiddx said:
If there is one thing that is certain, is we will not be defeated by USA

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Other than the match with England i hope you guys do well :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom