• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at Atari's new console, "Ataribox"

Agent X

Exactly. Actually, I would say that retro gaming as a whole IS hot, or at least could be if made and marketed well.

EXCEPT for Atari. Their heyday was in the early arcade and 2600 days. I was there. 2600 games do not hold up. Some arcade titles do, but they're short, shallow, and difficult.

Atari's name recognition has been considered valuable for 30+ years. And in all that time, as it's been bought and sold and kicked around, never has that proven to be the case. If this box is going to succeed, it won't be because of nostalgia, name recognition, or the strength of its past library. It'll have to be on compelling new content.

I have a hard time picturing that happening.

I understand where you're coming from, but I disagree that Atari's content wouldn't hold up in today's market.

Many of the games from their peak (1977-1984, both arcade and home games) would have lasting appeal, if they were made and marketed well.

The problem with "modern Atari" (the company--Infogrames and whatever successor entity owns them now) is that they're bent on rehashing the same 100 or so games over and over again, with self-contained consoles and game compilations for other consoles and computers.

It's evident these ventures do sell to some extent, because they continue to maintain their contract with AtGames, who does minor refreshes of the Flashback consoles on a yearly basis. This is not what I want to see, and probably not what you (or most other longtime Atari fans) want to see, but apparently some segment of the population out there keeps buying this stuff...or they wouldn't bother to put out new iterations every year. If it wasn't selling, it wouldn't be on the shelves.

I do think it's heavily mismanaged, though. Aside from Code Mystics' work (which is ace), almost everything that Atari does these days is farmed out to whatever second-tier third-tier fourth-tier developers will take a cheap contract. Some of these products are just utter embarrassments. At some point, people are just going to get sick of this stuff, and then Atari could really end up buried in a pit of irrelevance.

Many of Atari's best classic games are simple, quick fun--not unlike a lot of mobile games and inexpensive indie PC/console games. They constantly promote their 2600 library as a package deal, and you're right that most of those games don't hold up today. There are a few gems in the library that do hold up magnificently...but Atari's management doesn't seem to recognize them, and I'm not sure that they would take the time to understand why some of their games are more "timeless" than others.

This is why so many people fail to take "modern Atari" seriously--I don't think the management truly understands why the classic games were so appealing in the first place. They need to treat the games with love and respect, instead of just pasting the names of their properties onto some barely-related mobile phone game or PC shovelware. I'd love to see them do "new" games in the spirit of their classics. Look at games like Luftrausers, Race the Sun, or Downwell--those are great modern games with simple concepts that are easy to grasp, yet highly addictive, just as games like Asteroids and Centipede and Breakout were. That is what Atari needs to focus on.

Neith

Banned
Is Atari insane?

I guess maybe there is a market for people that are incompetent and cannot set up emulation or people who simply want some random box.

CamHostage

They need to treat the games with love and respect, instead of just pasting the names of their properties onto some barely-related mobile phone game or PC shovelware. I'd love to see them do "new" games in the spirit of their classics. Look at games like Luftrausers, Race the Sun, or Downwell--those are great modern games with simple concepts that are easy to grasp, yet highly addictive, just as games like Asteroids and Centipede and Breakout were. That is what Atari needs to focus on.

There were a slew of Atari franchises remade in the PS1 era that were handled well. I could do with another revival like that. Pong: The Next Level in particular was a fantastic block-busting/ping-pong type game.

Re-imaging classics is pretty different from just repackaging 2600 and early arcade games, though. The 2600 in particular doesn't have a lot of titles that would hold up today.

Zaventem

Regardless of what it does this design is gorgeous and I'm looking forward to a 'new Atari' console sitting next to my TV. :D

ataribox-2-1.jpg

I honestly love how this looks.

Zaventem

Forbe's contributor is mistakenly assuming that Retro Nintendo games being hot means all retro gaming is hot. It's not. Nobody is clamoring for Asteroids and Outlaw.

You have to remember atqri has branding in the new blade runner too, if only for a moment. That alone can peak interest in the brand and push sales.

AmyS

In AMD's recent earnings call, CEO Lisa Su mentioned that they have a new semi-custom design win for 2018.

Speculation is going around that it might be for the Ataribox.

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-semi-custom-silicon-may-power-atari-ataribox

AMD Semi-Custom Silicon May Power Atari's All New Ataribox

Early last week, Atari finally revealed to the world the [hopefully] final design of its Ataribox gaming console. Pulling from some retro design cues that were introduced with the decade’s-old Atari 2600 console, the smallish box will do battle with the likes of the Nintendo NES Classic and SNES Classic in vying for attention of nostalgic gamers.
However, we still to this day do not know exactly what will be powering the console (or when it will launch). However, in an interview last month, Atari CEO Fred Chesnais confirmed that the Ataribox would be based on PC technology. That isn’t too terribly surprising given that the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 families of consoles are based on AMD’s x86 processor architecture.

However commentary from AMD CEO Lisa Su during yesterday’s earning call might suggest that the chip company could have scored a design win with Atari for the Ataribox. This is pure speculation on our part, of course. The chips that AMD supplies to Microsoft and Sony are part of its “semi-custom” business. So, when Su was asked by Barron’s if there was another new semi-custom chip in the pipeline, she gave a rather curious answer.

She said that there is “one additional design that will ramp in the second half of 2018.” Su went on to mention that AMD would be mum on the subject until its partner is ready to discuss the project further. We have to also consider that Su mentioned this new prospect while at the same time describing an overall softness in the console market.

“In our semi-custom business, unit shipments were up sequentially and down year-over-year as we enter the fifth year of the current game console sales cycle,” said Su. “As we look at the remainder of the year and given the maturity of the current game console cycle, we expect semi-custom revenue to be down for the full year.”

We know that Sony and Microsoft don’t have any additional consoles in the pipeline that will be launching next year (Xbox One X launches in November), and the Nintendo Switch is running on NVIDIA Tegra hardware. Given that the Ataribox is supposed to be a PC-based system — which to this day still doesn’t have a launch date — it seems like the prime candidate for such a semi-custom chip from AMD.

So it could be either Atari or Sony.

chadskin

Got an email with an update a couple of days ago:

Ataribox: Coming Soon!

The buzz on Ataribox continues to grow, and we can't wait to share more news in the weeks ahead.

Ataribox will first be made available via a crowdfunding campaign this Fall 2017 with shipments planned to start in Spring 2018.

Why Crowdfunding? Amazing brands are driven by amazing communities. Coming back to hardware is an important step for Atari, and something we intend to do carefully, hand-in-hand with the Atari community that loves our brand as much as we do. Crowdfunding is the ultimate community approach to bring great products to life; and for Atari, it allows us to reward our community with exclusive access, special editions, and include them as active participants in the rollout of the Ataribox.

Sign up now at www.ataribox.com to join our community and be among the first to get news and updates!

Check it Out !

compo

Banned
Damn, crowdfunding? Why are these retro consoles such crapshoots? There's the artificial scarcity of the Nintendo minis, and now the mystery box preorder for the Ataribox.

I just want a retro console with no bullshit.

ultrazilla

Reminder that you should never ever back hardware crowdfundings

Yeah I'm out after the debacle that was the Retro VGS. I really, really wanted
to believe we'd actually get a new cartridge based retro system with some great
Indie support and perhaps a few AAA developers putting a game or two on the system.

I want to believe ATARI but I can't back the system.

I think a lot of people speculated that they would go the crowdfunding way. Will wait to see how it turns out and I wish them luck but I can't imagine a scenario in which I would be willing to drop funds on crowdfunding this and honestly I doubt this turns out well for them.

Hopefully if it's a good concept and design, they have other options if crowdfuncing doesn't work out for them.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's a shame such a neat looking system is going to go to waste on old Atari games. I'm sorry, but as someone who grew up in that era, Atari's games dont hold up at all.

Quint519

Neo Member
The sad part about Atari as a company is that they never lived up to their potential and always under delivered.I will never forget the Et fiasco or the Pacman arcade to home controversy. Crowd funding is impractable and three years too late. To produce ten aaa games at a conservative 50 million a pop, create an online service and have an infrastructure to sell and repair your hardware would cost a minimum of 1.5 billion. If you throw in a decent marketing campaign the final price could double. In the end the nostalgia hits me hard but my brain screams it's cash grab with little respect for the fans and most importantly their legacy.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The sad part about Atari as a company is that they never lived up to their potential and always under delivered.I will never forget the Et fiasco or the Pacman arcade to home controversy. Crowd funding is impractable and three years too late. To produce ten aaa games at a conservative 50 million a pop, create an online service and have an infrastructure to sell and repair your hardware would cost a minimum of 1.5 billion. If you throw in a decent marketing campaign the final price could double. In the end the nostalgia hits me hard but my brain screams it's cash grab with little respect for the fans and most importantly their legacy.

I don't think anybody but you is wanting Atari to make 10 AAA games at $50M each.......

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Got an email from Atari hawking their Speakerhats, but there was a paragraph that might be interesting?

"Meanwhile, tune your attention to AtariLife.com and AtariLife social where we will unveil something very big... live from the Genius IQ/BBQ on 9/9/17!"

Maybe it's just another hat, who knows.

Got an email from Atari hawking their Speakerhats, but there was a paragraph that might be interesting?

"Meanwhile, tune your attention to AtariLife.com and AtariLife social where we will unveil something very big... live from the Genius IQ/BBQ on 9/9/17!"

Maybe a top hat?

I heard that they are introducing the Atari SpeakerSpeaker. It's a speaker with a speaker on it that features the classic Atari logo on the front. It's technically mono even though there are 2 speakers.

sneas78

Banned
Got some new info in my email:

The pictures we're sharing today are of first prototypes. Everyone that has seen Ataribox first-hand loves it, feeling the Atari 2600 influence, while still being a modern design.

Ataribox will be powered by an AMD customized processor, with Radeon Graphics technology. It'll run Linux, with a customized, easy-to-use user interface. This approach means that as well as being a great gaming device, Ataribox is also a full PC experience for the TV, bringing you streaming, applications, social, browsing, music, and more.

Most TV devices have closed systems and content stores. Linux lets us be more open; you can access & customise the OS, & you can access games you've bought from other content platforms (if compatible with the OS and HW).
There will be tons of classic Atari retro games pre-loaded, & current titles from a range of studios (we'll start talking titles very soon, stay tuned).

AmyS

The pictures we're sharing today are of first prototypes. Everyone that has seen Ataribox first-hand loves it, feeling the Atari 2600 influence, while still being a modern design.

Ataribox will be powered by an AMD customized processor, with Radeon Graphics technology. It'll run Linux, with a customized, easy-to-use user interface. This approach means that as well as being a great gaming device, Ataribox is also a full PC experience for the TV, bringing you streaming, applications, social, browsing, music, and more.

Most TV devices have closed systems and content stores. Linux lets us be more open; you can access & customise the OS, & you can access games you've bought from other content platforms (if compatible with the OS and HW).
There will be tons of classic Atari retro games pre-loaded, & current titles from a range of studios (we'll start talking titles very soon, stay tuned).

Atari Ryzen.

Wow now it gets interesting.

Top Bottom