• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut is coming next week [Up: Out now, my sweet]

So I have a New Game+ save which I haven't completed. I think I stopped playing after
Kaidan's release from the hospital
. If I continue, will I get the new expanded ending or is it better if I just start from the beginning?

Reading threads is hard.

I don't know if I can ever go back to ME3. It wasn't even the ending in itself, really. My problem was that, for me, the game, and perhaps, the series, hit its highest high, and then its lowest low, all within a matter of minutes. I'll probably just watch the additions on youtube, rather than put myself through the dread of knowing whats coming in the came.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
*sigh* That's modern day BioWare for you. Kill off a character that was sort of cool in 2 preceding games on twitter so you can shoehorn in a creepy sexed up version of a video games "journalist" to take her spot.

sP9Td.gif

She wasn't even in ME2. Unless you wanna count emails now.

If you wanna count one journalist that was in all 3 games, it's the punchable woman with the long name i can never remember right.

Son of a bitch. My paragon run through does not have a save at that point- I guess I'll finish it off and do a New Game+ as a paragon. I started a brief renegade run which I plan on continuing. I just hope there is an option of punching Starchild.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Son of a bitch. My paragon run through does not have a save at that point- I guess I'll finish it off and do a New Game+ as a paragon. I started a brief renegade run which I plan on continuing. I just hope there is an option of punching Starchild.
You should have an autosave unless you deleted it...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
No it really wasn't. Not even a little bit. Mass Effect 3 was a fantastic game with a shitty ending. The whole thing through was amazing.

Nope. The game had a shitload of problems besides the ending. Incredibly linear mission design, lack of dialogue options, lack of enemy and encounter variety, terrible intro, a story that makes zero sense with a Renegade Sheperd, ME2 squadmates barely featuring, poorly handled antagonists, horribly basic side 'quests', reusing multiplayer maps as SP missions, crude and content-anemic Earth Battle sequence, Talis face, Ashley hardly having any on ship dialogue, the whole thing was clearly scaled back from what the designers wanted and rushed to market. It was KOTOR 2 all over again.

Nope. The game had a shitload of problems besides the ending. Incredibly linear mission design, lack of dialogue options, lack of enemy and encounter variety, terrible intro, a story that makes zero sense with a Renegade Sheperd, ME2 squadmates barely featuring, poorly handled antagonists, horribly basic side 'quests', reusing multiplayer maps as SP missions, Talis face, Ashley hardly having any on ship dialogue, the whole thing was clearly scaled back from what the designers wanted and rushed to market. It was KOTOR 2 all over again.

THIS.

At this point, I don't know if this franchise (and Bioware itself) can recover the fanbase confidence its lost with this installment. You know this was foreshadowed with how they handled DA2 and the debacle with the Mass Effect Deception novel.

televator

From the official page

extended_cut-01-p.jpg

This one pic alone pretty much confirms that a lot of what people hated about the ending is true.

That, as soon as Shep goes down, every member of your crew suddenly forgets about their resolve (built up over 3 games) and inexplicably decide to run in the opposite direction from the goal which was just a few more feet away...BTW Shep wasn't dead...and they left his near dead carcass there to rot too... Even your romance interest does this...WTF?! It completely betrays all the character and relationship buildup of all the games.

Garrus: "I'm with you till the end Shepard. Me and you are like fuken bros man. We're fuken bros!"

*Shep gets nailed by laser*

"Holy shit! Fuck that! I'm outta here!"

DTKT

What really annoys me is that there are some great moments in ME3. Both Rannoch and Tutchanka are great but the rest of the game just never lives up to these two moments.

Moaradin

There are plenty of great moments in ME3. Tuchanka and Rannoch aren't just the best moments in the game. They are the best moments in the damn series.

For me its just to late. The ending sucks and thats not. What really got me mad was how the "professional video game" press said there was nothing wrong with the ending. Even the guys at Giant Bomb who have all my respect.

Replicant

Reading threads is hard.

And judging from your response being a leaky douche is easier than answering a simple question.

This one pic alone pretty much confirms that a lot of what people hated about the ending is true.

That, as soon as Shep goes down, every member of your crew suddenly forgets about their resolve (built up over 3 games) and inexplicably decide to run in the opposite direction from the goal which was just a few more feet away...BTW Shep wasn't dead...and they left his near dead carcass there to rot too... Even your romance interest does this...WTF?! It completely betrays all the character and relationship buildup of all the games.

Garrus: "I'm with you till the end Shepard. Me and you are like fuken bros man. We're fuken bros!"

*Shep gets nailed by laser*

"Holy shit! Fuck that! I'm outta here!"

Yeah, I was hoping there's something extra if you play from the beginning. But it doesn't look like it. It's just a conveniently shoved, haphazard extra scene that doesn't make sense from character's motivation.

Bowdz

What really annoys me is that there are some great moments in ME3. Both Rannoch and Tutchanka are great but the rest of the game just never lives up to these two moments.

What annoys me was that the bulk of the game is great and really exceed my moderate expectations. As was posted above, the fact that the game hits some of the series' highest notes with the final mission only to fumble the final 20 minutes of the game with the last 10 being some of the worst I have experienced this generation. It was so jarring, such an enormous let down, and has made replaying the game incredibly hard. Bioware did SUCH a good job of building up to the ending, but has failed to deliver an emotional release for the series causing a great deal of anger and apathy in their fanbase.

Darte

Finally I've been waiting for this.

In 3 days....

I can finally
uninstall the game and origin client!

Now are you saying just because it was about a "three second cutscene" that kind of thing should be tolerated ?

No.

I'm saying because the "Best Ending" is only three seconds long, it shouldn't fucking matter so much to people.

Of course companies should not hold back stuff that they know "hardcore gamers" will buy if it is a part of the main game, but come the fuck on. You're not missing anything. There's no new ending sequence, no save file, nothing that honestly matters.

It's a three second cutscene. It does not add anything to the game. Acting like it is essential to your experience is a little extreme.

Now, will this be retconned with the Extended Cut? Who knows.

JonnyBrad

I wonder if we'll actually get to speak to the main antagonist of ME2 or whether he'll be brushed under the carpet.

One of my main problems with ME3 was the lack of interaction with the reapers.

I wonder if we'll actually get to speak to the main protagonist of ME2 or whether he'll be brushed under the carpet.

One of my main problems with ME3 was the lack of interaction with the reapers.

Antagonist.

And they've said Harbinger will get more screen time. Hopefully, it's actually substantial and not just "you will not defeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaat meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee -".

Tsukumo

Entitlement: belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing on the point you made in the last post, but you can't dismiss people's expectations by calling them "sense of entitlement": a consumer who pays, is entitled by definition to have an opinion on what he bought, doesn't matter how far-fetched, prejudicial, and pointless it may be.
This is EXACTLY the type of undertext behind every Bioware interaction with its audience: nerds are a bunch of nit-picking, anal-retentive, puny outcasts who just like to complain; we have done nothing wrong! Everyone liked the ending, the only ones who don't are the nerds.

Petty: having little or no importance or significance.

On this one, we agree

She wasn't even in ME2. Unless you wanna count emails now.
Technically she was in ME 2, if you check the monitor outside C-Sec headquarters in ME 2 you see her as anchor woman for a news channel. I have to confess I was looking forward to seeing Emily Wong again in ME 3. Little did I know what idiocy Bioware had planned for her.

It's a three second cutscene. It does not add anything to the game. Acting like it is essential to your experience is a little extreme.

It may have only been a "3 second cutscene" however the implications of the scene do matter and it adds to the story which is one of the main reasons people play ME games. If you only play single player you cannot access that scene which means
no matter what you do Shepard dies

I am not acting like it "was essential to my experience" I am acting like someone that finds it pretty disgusting that Bioware out and out lied not once but several times about this issue. Even when most fans had discovered the EMS issue and had 100% proof they continued to lie and try to make it look like the fanbase was a bit "stupid".

McNum

Well, I'm willing to give this a fair shake. The lack of an epilogue was my issue with the ending. Hopefully the Extended Cut will answer some of my "But what happened to...?" questions. Like Garrus. Or Wrex. Or the galaxy as a whole, for that matter.

Massa

People are looking at one picture and already jumping to conclusions...

Do yourselves a favor and skip anything Mass Effect related. You won't enjoy it anyway.

Dany

Banned
People are looking at one picture and already jumping to conclusions...

Do yourselves a favor and skip anything Mass Effect related. You won't enjoy it anyway.

Seriously. Dude is just a writer, folks are acting like He knows nothing about what was wrong with the ending. I'm sure from a creative standpoint to have his creative work torn apart, he wants to rectify that.

Dang it.

I visit my parents' place this weekend, bring my 360 back to leave until I head off to grad school at the end of summer, and now I have to bring it back after all. I haven't even touched my 360 since I finished ME3 back in March... Dang it.

Oh well, I guess I can finally see what it is they have been working on.
There's absolutely no way this can disappoint me in any capacity, since I've already been through the worst of it all.

No. The screenshot shows nothing at all. Just a dude watching the game.
Then you didn't look at the screenshot carefully enough. If you direct your attention to what Mac Walters is actually looking at (the monitor) you will see a shot from the EC with the subtitles turned on. If you read what the subtitle says it gives a clear indication of how they are going to explain "Jokers lil Jaunt".

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I do not really get it. Explanation would be helpful.

They added a scene to show why Joker and a random assortment of your crew peace out right before you visit star child. That still leads right into that weird scene of the Normandy running away from *insert color* and crashing on magic jungle planet that may or may not have chipboard plants.

Top Bottom