• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scanline screenshot thread. Because 240p is all the p's I need.

Vespa

Nice seeing a variety of screen displays here!

Some pics from an LCD screen + OSSC line x4 mode + N64 with deblur on

34086720406_2c8f0f38ba_o.jpg

34127244585_9bf365165a_o.jpg

33996830741_86ed342c9f_o.jpg

piggychan

ah well I think my sony BVM died a while ago so haven't been posting much on here. I think the colors were going off. These were the last pics I took before it messed up. Might look into getting an OSSC if I can get my hands on one...

Atomic Robo kid - pc engine
atomicrobo1.jpg

atomicrobo3.jpg

ah well I think my sony BVM died a while ago so haven't been posting much on here. I think the colors were going off. These were the last pics I took before it messed up. Might look into getting an OSSC if I can get my hands on one...

Atomic Robo kid - pc engine
atomicrobo1.jpg

atomicrobo3.jpg

which model number did you have and how many hours on it?

wondering how long mine will last =/

TeaJay

Got myself a SNES Mini, 1chip model with RGB mod. The picture quality and sharpness is really out of this world compared to my old PAL model. You have to see it to believe it, I dunno if my cell phone pic does it justice.

Vespa

Great shot, TeaJay! Love the art style of Link to the past.

33977984350_1d8826d81f_o.jpg

1-Chip SNES+OSSC line 4x mode on a pc-CRT. It really looks like emulation with super sharp pixels, my non 1-Chip SNES is noticeably softer.

piggychan

i'm trying to buy 2!

thanks.
sucks that it crapped out on you =/ do you have another studio type CRT?

nope.. Don't know if I am gonna buy another one. I was gonna look for one when I was in Hong Kong for a few weeks but couldn't find anywhere that had any for sale or display. But the OSSC is definitely on my radar now.

zmet

Played some Joe&Mac on the Megadrive w/ Pyron's color enhancement hack. Highly recommend everything mentioned here!

Holy shit, that looks great! It's so much more closer to the arcade version in color. Is it easy to apply? I've been wanting to do the Final Fight CD color hack for the longest but never got around to doing it.

TeaJay

Holy shit, that looks great! It's so much more closer to the arcade version in color. Is it easy to apply? I've been wanting to do the Final Fight CD color hack for the longest but never got around to doing it.

Yeah, that's the idea behind the J&M hack - to make it closer to the arcade version. The same can be said of many others of Pyron's color enhancement hacks, they replace some strange MD color schemes with more arcade-style colors. They're fantastic. (although I think sixteen-bit was disappointed for transforming Eric LeCarde's hair color from green to brown in New Generation/Bloodlines.)

http://www.romhacking.net/community/3226/

Applying them is simply a matter of using Lunar IPS and patching a rom. I use the GoodGEN set and always had success.

e: I don't have the Mega CD so can't comment on Final Fight CD, but I've done plenty of MD/Gen rom patches.

Galdelico

Yeah, that's the idea behind the J&M hack - to make it closer to the arcade version. The same can be said of many others of Pyron's color enhancement hacks, they replace some strange MD color schemes with more arcade-style colors. They're fantastic. (although I think sixteen-bit was disappointed for transforming Eric LeCarde's hair color from green to brown in New Generation/Bloodlines.)

http://www.romhacking.net/community/3226/

Applying them is simply a matter of using Lunar IPS and patching a rom. I use the GoodGEN set and always had success.

e: I don't have the Mega CD so can't comment on Final Fight CD, but I've done plenty of MD/Gen rom patches.
That looks pretty amazing. I didn't even know a color hack for that game existed. Thanks for sharing! Related: is Genesis the only way to go, in order to play NTSC Joe & Mac, right? No Japanese version, I assume.

TeaJay

Okay, this gon' be a double post now but have some SOTN from me too.

I was playing a patched version with japanese voice acting and english translation + all kinds of text/menu improvements and it's still one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen.

H7EtRET.jpg

TeaJay

Awesome shot, TeaJay! Is it the psx version being patched?

Yes. I love the Saturn but unfortunately I can't get around playing SOTN on it for long due to the slow ass map and menu loading times. Also I do like to play it in english to remember what the various items are.

Which is a shame since I'd want to play as Maria and explore the new areas. Maybe I will tackle Saturn version after my PSX playthrough when it is still in fresh memory.

Vespa

Those sprite anime cutscenes look amazing, BTails. Is it fully animated?

@TeaJay Thanks for the info. I've yet to play SOTN but was probably going to play the psx version, I'll make sure to check out the Japanese audio with English menus. I hear the Saturn version has a stretched aspect ratio? and a fair bit of slowdown. Shame it got such a lackluster port.

BTails

Those sprite anime cutscenes look amazing, BTails. Is it fully animated?

Nope, more like "lightly animated". Relatively still with slight movement here and there. But honestly, if you haven't watched the opening to Lunar the Silver Star on Sega CD, you should DO SO RIGHT NOW! Everytime I boot the game up, I usually sit through the intro because it's less than 2 minutes, and gets me so pumped to play the game.

Kawika

I was playing a patched version with japanese voice acting and english translation + all kinds of text/menu improvements and it's still one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen.

H7EtRET.jpg

My modded PSX died and half my collection was imports. Now I need to get another PSone or PSX chipped. Once I do, I would love to play SotN again that way.

Jockel

Recently sold one of my PVMs, a 2130QM. Looking to upgrade to a BVM 2010P, but I figured you guys would probably enjoy the pictures:

I think my colors are messed up. Whites seem a little red. Anybody have basic PVM menu settings?

There's a reset flag hidden in the service menu.
Alternatively, the factory values that I've been told were
BIAS R, G, B: 128 each
GAIN R: 192
GAIN G: 197
GAIN B: 208

Most likely those won't be optimal, though.
I have a PVM that served thousands of hours at a TV station, my values are in the 500-600 range.
Normally, if your blacks are off you fiddle with bias, if your whites are off it's gain.
So either turn down red gain a bit or add some green and blue in equal measure.

TeaJay

Recently sold one of my PVMs, a 2130QM. Looking to upgrade to a BVM 2010P, but I figured you guys would probably enjoy the pictures:

How reliable are those wireless controllers for the SNES and how much do they cost?

Love Demon's Blazon too.

Jockel

How reliable are those wireless controllers for the SNES and how much do they cost?

Love Demon's Blazon too.
They're pretty much perfect. I don't notice any lag and they feel like the real thing. D-Pad is a bit "stiff", but that's probably due to being used to 20 year old pads. I'm picky with controllers and generally don't buy third party stuff, but this is my main SFC pad now.
You can get those beauties at Play-Asia for 31,99$ or slightly cheaper (25,45$) at Aliexpress. Make sure to buy a receiver as well.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oyfR0uG.png[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rQKz9ZW.png[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AuQZACF.png[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/roUdFmK.png[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0Bsedo6.png[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZdBVGsz.png[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WDRTEBB.png[/IMG]

That shot looks really nice. I had to get a loose Japanese cart a while back because my US copy suddenly died on me.

Yeah, that's definitely a common issue from what I've heard over the years.

I love the music in that game. Didn't the Genesis version come with two different modes? I remember it feeling like two different games.

Yup. GS has a straight forward powerup system whereas the original V・V mode has like a Gradius style system.

ToD_

Macro shot of Terry's burning knuckle in Garou MOTW. MVS on BVM-20F1U:

(click to enlarge)

I should have wiped the screen before taking the picture. The dust is actually not visible from a normal viewing distance, but a macro lens picks it up easily.

H7EtRET.jpg

What patched version are you referring to?

Also, that screenshot is beautiful

Top Bottom