• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saint's Row was always better than GTA but lost its way

LordRaptor

Even the creators knew it wasn't as good as gta. Why else would they have turned it into an open world circus?

The makers of saints row knew they were making a videogame, and enjoy videogames so tried to make a fun videogame.

The Housers give the impression in many of their games that they don't much care for videogames and really wish they were in hollywood instead.

Evilisk

I feel weird for liking both Saints Row 2 and 3. They're both good for different reasons imo.

I prefer SR at this point over GTA, but I really feel like if they just mixed the strengths of 2 and 3 (ie 2's attention to detail and world, with 3's mechanical improvements and story) and maybe dial back the craziness from 4, they'd have a really damn solid game. (Please make a SR5 exactly like that)

They used to be a poor man's GTA until SR3. With 3 they finally embraced the craziness and went all-out with it and it worked to a tee. They finally had an identity. They threw it all away with IV though, which was just...just terrible, it felt like a shitty expansion streched out to a full game. What a waste.

Isn't that exactly what 4 was?

I actually didn't play the games until 2015, but I recall that the superhero stuff being announced as DLC at some point. Then the next thing I heard was SR4 being announced, and considering THQ's situation at the time, I always assumed that SR4 was just that DLC stretched to a full game.

Ravi_elite

Banned
HOW WAS I SO LATE TO THIS THREAD...SMH ANYWAY straight to the point.. Saints Row 1 the ORIGINAL..not sr2, not sr turd, not srHIV OR ANY of the other sr trash out there...SR1 HAD All the chemistry and mechanics of evolved shooters...best shooting/movement mechanics...one of the first and for sure definitely the first shooters on the 360 to have a full fledged clan system with clan leaderboards(gang leaderboards)..with sound effects that lit off in the matches when a player wrecked the other team (killing spree="Unstoppable") (rampage="SERIAL KILLAH") (DOUBLE KILL="187 BABY") the quick switching with the weapons making the competitive nature of this third person shooter go up in charts...as opposed to "chicken walking" with the AK47..ALSO The meaningful online modes Protect tha pimp(PTP) ; Blinded out ride(BOR) GANGSTA BRAWL(GB)..ALL THESE MODES BEAT ANY MODE IN GTA 5 WITH THE EXCEPTION of FREEROAM ..WHICH would have been great for the hardcore fan base of Sr1 to see freeroam introduced in a proper online sequel..however it wasn't..Anyway...our small Sr1 fan base still awaits BC at the very least for SR1...But still hopes one day SR WILL GO BACM TO ITZ ROOTS...anyway I have a club on Xbox dedicated to the original Saints Row..the club name is infact... Saints Row so if anyone wants to join and is also a fan of the original roots..request to join and I will gladly accept you..thanks for reading~ godzhand

Nightbird

Jumping from the helicopter into the pool, crashing the party, all while "Power" was running as BGM in SR3 was one of my favorite Gaming moments ever
and also the moment i stopped being a Nintendo Fanboy

Boss Mog

the craziness of sr3 and 4 was the only reason i played them, I put down GTA games with vice city and never went back.

SR2 was the pinnacle of the series as a GTA-like game, it's just a shame that it wasn't more polished technically like SR3 and SR4 were (on 360 and PC at least, can't speak to the other versions personally). Like you I liked SR3 and SR4 for their over the top craziness, I never tried to compare those to GTA though, they were in a class of their own and when you looked at it that way,it was easy to have a good time with those games and not take them too seriously. GTA games have amazing open worlds and presentation but the actual gameplay of the missions is usually severely lacking, GTA5 was better in that respect though.

PS: Lol at your rising sun Tiffany avatar. Is Seohyun whispering "traitor" in her ear :p

mlclmtckr

Banned
The Housers give the impression in many of their games that they don't much care for videogames and really wish they were in hollywood instead.

The gaming press fawning over their barely-competent gangster movie knockoff scripts kind of encourages this too.

Not even close!

Saints Row 2 is more fun than GTAIV though.

After SR2, they became some of the worst games I've EVER played!

I've never been disappointed with a game like I was with SR3.

I can't speak for all comparisons, but I definitely enjoyed Saints Row 2 over GTA4. It was just more....fun. Also I've finished three Saint Rows (2, 3, and 4), but have yet to beat any GTA.

So you are saying SR should fight to be a better GTA when GTA has 50X budget?

They are going in the right direction of just being stupid medicore silly fun games.

The king arrives this holiday so it's all good, Crackdown 3!

It's like GTA on steroids. Shooting, destruction, racing, platforming, strategy and all round mayhem. The ultimate sandbox game.

Though I wouldn't agree with the OP, GTA is better than Saints Row in almost every department. But even that game has become a little stale imo. I hope GTAVI brings some innovation!

Greddleok

Lost its way? More like found it. The Saints Row games just get better. 3 was a peak for me, with 4 feeling like an add on for 3.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
i mean that whole post is pretty 'the fuck' worthy

Indeed, but the cliff notes are especially eyebrow raising.

Back on topic - Saints Row the Third is just a deliriously delightful caper. It's well documented how much fun Volition had making it and that shines through practically every single moment of the game. The shedding of the shackles of reality, the rise in the Boss' powers and power. Everything is just so completely off the rails in the best possible way.

I can totally understand why it's not for some folk, especially so those looking for that off-season GTA replacement, but I firmly believe Volition took the series in the best possible direction, carving out a wholly unique direction for what was once a "me-too" series.

I didn't much care for four other than the increased zaniness but it felt that they were doing checkboxes on big moments from 3 that just didn't hit home. Hopefully their next game, while certainly looking tied in, gives them enough distance and perspective to come back to the Saints with fresh ideas and further evolves what a Saints Row game can and should be - FUN!

Ravi_elite

Banned
Saints Row 3 and Saints Row IV are trash...Agents of Mayhem is also going to end up trash....the first Saints Row had the greatest multiplayer...the 2nd Saints Row had a good Co-op...we need a Saints Row 1/2 Hybrid on the Xbox one...like yesturday

When you come at the king, you best not miss.

Volition = Stinkum

In all seriousness, it's hard to compete with a game from such a high pedigree developer and on which whose publisher is willing to pour a hundred million dollars. I think the crown would have been there for the taking had R* delivered another GTA4, but the gloves came off with V.

Sky Chief

Not even close to as good as GTA, the best games in the series are when it isn't trying to be GTA or as OP says "it lost its way"

zMiiChy-

Banned
Nah, the games were way more enjoyable when they weren't GTA clones.

Saint's Row 4 is hilarious, and the super powers are fun for a while.

On the other hand, I utterly despise GTA.
Quite possibly the most offensive franchise in the industry for me.

dakun

Saint's Row 1 - A bad GTA knock-off

Saint's Row 2 - A good GTA knock-off

Saint's Row 3 - A good Saint's Row game

Saint's Row 4 - The best superhero game ever made

I'm glad they decided to leave GTA behind and become more their own thing.

basically this. Saints Row 3 remains my favorite Saints Row.

None of the saint's row games come close to gta v, sr2 was also always tainted for me cause I played on PC and the port tucking sucked.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
True Crime was more entertaining than GTA for me. So was the spiritual successor Sleeping Dogs but Im probably the only one on that.

Saint's Row had the likes of Burt Reynolds, Hogan, Terry Crews, Sasha Grey, and Mila Kunis voicing characters. And Keith David fought Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Not sure why this thread was bumped but clearly OP has bumped his head because this hot take is surely delusional....but whatever you enjoy, that's okay with me.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Nah, the games were way more enjoyable when they weren't GTA clones.

Saint's Row 4 is hilarious, and the super powers are fun for a while.

On the other hand, I utterly despise GTA.
Quite possibly the most offensive franchise in the industry for me.

You can't possibly say that in comparison to Saint's Row's shit-tier toilet humor.

I mean come on.

sakuori

I like both of them, but I prefer Saints Row and didn't think that it actually lost its way. SR tried to make its own identity by 3 and then doubled the craziness by 4.

Of all the games, I loved SR The Third. I probably would've loved 2 better but the PC port really ruined it for me, it's a neat game though.
I think a lot of people didn't think highly of 4 since it suddenly went Aliens and Superpowers. It's still fun nevertheless.

Disagree.

To me the first two saints row were generic, flavorless clones of GTA games with no really redeeming qualities and somewhat lacking in terms of personality and mood... While GTA was delivering hits after hits with GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas.

Then GTA4 came out and it managed to suck out most of the fun of the series. The protagonist was booring, gone was the funny tone, the story was bland, it was all about going bowling with your cousin, graphics were atrocious on PS3 (like someone smeared vaseline on the camera in an attempt to hide the gazillon jaggies), the driving was terrible, the city was bland, the humor was lacking and town felt empty of anything to do asides from going bowling and getting drunk.

Thankfull, at that time, it seems like Volition realised that there was a market that was unhappy with GTA4, and they decided to fully embrace the humor/quirky nature to deliver Saints Row 3, a game that had way more personality and originality than any previous iteration. Was it perfect ? No, but it imho sure as well was more entertaining than GTA4 ever was, and as such was imho the closest the series has been to being "better than GTA".

That said, GTAV managed to bring back the fun while really pushing the boundaries and making a gameworld that felt real, with interesting characters and imho a great narrative... Meanwhile, Saints Row went all in absurd with superhero stuff, essentially switching genres to something more akin to infamous or prototype... Which is fine, but It might actually be a little too over the top for my tastes.

Xero

they were able to flourish thanks to rockstar doing their damnedest to make gta 4 boring in every regard. does matter if nico is ,ore developed if its boring as hell.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
True Crime. Played it to death on Gamecube. It was the closest thing to GTA on the system.

Good times.

The melee combat was pretty fun and quite deep considering the limitations of the system and the missions were good. The twist near the end was a mess but still a well done game.

Id put SR2 above GTA 4 for sure, and maaaaaaaybe 5. It's definitely the closest a game has gotten to capturing what makes the GTA games work for me. SR3 has grown on me over the years, but it was definitely a step back, and the new town sucked ass.

Saint's Row 1 - A bad GTA knock-off

Saint's Row 2 - A good GTA knock-off

Saint's Row 3 - A good Saint's Row game

Saint's Row 4 - The best superhero game ever made

I'm glad they decided to leave GTA behind and become more their own thing.

My thoughts exactly. Anyone who wants a return to a more "grounded" SR game has terrible taste.

gogosox82

SR2 was the strongest in the series but I don't think it was anywhere close to topping GTA. They really needed to polish what was wrong with SR2 (I love the game but it ran like ass) and then they really could've had something but instead they went in this weird direction and SR is now a sandbox superhero game basically. Its really a shame but I guess it sells more copies being a sandbox superhero game then a GTA clone.

Edit: Why the thread bump?

My thoughts exactly. Anyone who wants a return to a more "grounded" SR game has terrible taste.

nope
IQSK4Qy.gif

I believe the gta series peaked with san andreas. Vice city was my favorite open world game to date until SR2 came along. I played both for hours on end and I can't really decide between the two. 4 and 5 never did anything for me after I completed the story lines. I do enjoy 5's world though, R* excelled at that along with the combat system. If only I could mod a septic truck in los santos, that would be a blast(
of shit
)!

Though on that note, I would have to say, I like the SR games more because, on pc at least, they are more mod friendly while R* says they have no problems with mods and yet it seems they intend to break them each time with updates. With gta online attached to V, it makes modding it even more of a nightmare because of the updates.

V had the potential to topple SR2/ Vice city off my most favorite list but I felt they squandered it's single player potential for online. instead of the cool businesses that multiplayer has, we get the half ass properties which were better handled in vice city. I'm a fucking manager of a movie theater, why do I have to fly a god damn plane to advertise a movie? Why do I have to deliver beers to my bar because the driver sucks? I felt that businesses in single player should reflect on the characters themselves. Trevor, for example, sells drugs so why didn't we have a business around that? Nope, all the cool stuff goes to online and I don't want to play online. Maybe I don't like getting griefed during a mission? Maybe i don't like doing a heist and almost completing it when johnny shits has to leave because it's his bedtime?

For this reason, I ain't looking forward to RDR2 because it's gonna get worse. single player will be bare minimum and multiplayer will get all the fun stuff. If you ask me, R* is overrated.

Saint's Row 4 is wacky for the sack of being wacky, the game in and of itself is bad and low budget.

It doesn't have any focus, the cars are useless in the game for exemple, the story was an incoherent unfunny mess who just put you in dumber set piece the further it went.

There's a reason Volition didn't up and do Saints Row V, they completed butchered the franchise and there's no where to go from here.

Saint's Row 2 and to a lesser extend 3 were perfectly calibrated between dumb fun and something grounded? I really hope they go back to something like that.

Saint's Row 4 is wacky for the sack of being wacky, the game in and of itself is bad and low budget.

It doesn't have any focus, the cars are useless in the game for exemple, the story was an incoherent unfunny mess who just put you in dumber set piece the further it went.

There's a reason Volition didn't up and do Saints Row V, they completed butchered the franchise and there's no where to go from here.

Saint's Row 2 and to a lesser extend 3 were perfectly calibrated between dumb fun and something grounded? I really hope they go back to something like that.

Right, that's the entire point. The game is designed to take the piss out of 2010s gaming conventions. Cars being rendered useless is part of the joke. Constantly trying to one-up itself is part of the joke. Exaggerrating the terrible humor from other games into almost anti-comedy is the goddamn joke. Why is it so hard for people to see this?

SR3 veered way too far into the stupidity it was still fun but it felt like a step back in a lot of ways to SR2, I might've enjoyed SR2 more overall than GTA IV though to say the series was always better is insanity.

None of the saint's row games come close to gta v, sr2 was also always tainted for me cause I played on PC and the port tucking sucked.

Yeah, I bought the PC version a while ago and started playing it last month, holy shit it's horrible. Volition and CD Projekt should be ashamed and embarrassed for that mess. I'm glad I first played through it on PS3.

I actually feel GTA lost its way, probably around San Andreas, and started taking itself more seriously than it deserves and its satirical undertones becoming clumsier and less pointed.

I was pretty shocked how long it took me to realize how terrible GTA4 was versus what I was expecting.

Pizza

I'm surprised SR5 isn't an open world game thats beating GTA6 to the punch with a fully multiplayer-focused online game.

The story never gripped me: by 4 I was the president in the matrix? It seemed like the story was linked between games but all I knew about 3/4 was the dubstep gun meme or whatever

I think if an arcadey GTAV clone with a muuuuch less restricted open world dropped it'd be really successful. Especially if they were able to make an island the same size as GTAV's but with more places you'd want to go and less dead space. Especially with the level and variety of character customization.

Right, that's the entire point. The game is designed to take the piss out of 2010s gaming conventions. Cars being rendered useless is part of the joke. Constantly trying to one-up itself is part of the joke. Exaggerrating the terrible humor from other games into almost anti-comedy is the goddamn joke. Why is it so hard for people to see this?

Because all of this doesn't matter if the game isn't fun to play.

It's not funny, it's not creative in its level design, the gameplay isn't improved and was already one of the weakest point of the previous games.

So we're left with not much to be enjoyed.

Broank

Well I've only played Saints Row 4 which was completely different than GTA, but it was certainly about 1000x more fun that GTA5 which felt like a bit of a chore to finish for me.

Top Bottom