• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Metal Gear Solid 2 - A Kojima Masterpiece

Hmm, I captured using a GTX980ti and was able to run 3x or 4x resolution without issue. From what I understand, though, MGS2 is one of the more demanding games to run at full frame-rate.
Thanks. Yeah I was surprised that my GPU couldn't go beyond native seeing as my 950 handles the vast majority of content at 3x with ease. But then those games are probably not doing half as much work as MGS2 was.......

-Amon-

Mgs 2 is one of the greatest. Anything in the tanker section is perfect. Unluckily (for me at least ) the game does not ends there.

Metal gear solid and snake eater are superior experiences, for me at least.

The first is more grounded in reality and has a better story. Mgs3 has better gameplay and setting.

Theorry

Mgs 2 is one of the greatest. Anything in the tanker section is perfect. Unluckily (for me at least ) the game does not ends there.

Metal gear solid and snake eater are superior experiences, for me at least.

The first is more grounded in reality and has a better story. Mgs3 has better gameplay and setting.

Snake Eater is for me also the best experience. It just had everything.

MGS2 is really great. it does things that you couldn't do with any other medium. when the bottom falls out towards the end, i couldn't believe what i was playing. playing this for the first time was an amazing experience that was surprisingly quite different from MGS1.

however, the controls are still early and awkwards, and you can feel the series is still sort of stuck to its 2d roots. the Plant looked fantastic but all the backtracking gets in the way of replays. also that damn bridge with all the bombs on it, doing that mission is a huge pain in the butt. at any rate they perfected Plant-style level design with MGSV's FOBs.

MGSV is the only one i can play anymore. the world is too good, the gameplay is too good. but the first three are all bonafide must-play classics. i don't rate any of them, they are all wonderful in their own unique ways.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Easily the most important game ever made from a story and themes standpoint, and also my favourite game of all time. I just can't praise it enough.

samred

I have never felt better about a YouTube channel's Patreon than that of Digital Foundry's. Thanks for these, dark1x.

lmimmfn

Yeah...you're not wrong.

Going through the ending bits again, I was surprised at how relevant it has become. Digital information manipulation being "fake news" and the surrounding issues, for one thing.
I was so exited for MGS2 as 1 was my all time favourite game. It was released on a Friday in Europe, finished it on Sunday, at the time I loved the game in general, especially the dog tag at the end, very neat, but I hated the whole AI story etc. etc. as it had no context at the time, in hindsight though it was brilliant and I think why many gamers have changed opinion of it.
I've never played it since, have the HD collection on PS3, should really give it a whirl again.

Wonko_C

From MGS3 onwards I just couldn't connect with the gameplay. Yeah, the story was amazing and that was my sole reason to keep trudging through the game (The Boss!). But I didn't enjoy being a snake-eating bullet-sponge during my playthrough: In trying to be stealthy I kept getting spotted by enemies who I couldn't see since they were pretty well hidden in plain sight. Even playing it again when Subsistence came out with the full 3D camera didn't help me much, so the game devolved into Snake being chased all over the map, getting shot by hundreds of bullets that barely depleted his life bar (Snake is made of steel?) and eating/healing whenever health got too low.

Previous Metal Gear games handled the stealth gameplay elegantly with the Soliton Radar System and the overhead camera. MGS2 truly mastered all of its elements, that's why it's still one of my top 10 games of all time, and the only Metal Gear game on that list. I still have my PS2 save with every single dogtag in every difficulty obtained somewhere.

Eila

Haven't really played it but the PC port looks pretty good to me. At least with the modern fan laucher.

Trailer was so bloody good back then, and still is. Would love to see a remake of just the trailer in MGS5's engine just for the sake of it.

Still feels like the other day I saw this...Time... why you gotta be like that.

packy34

I agree. Once the tanker part is finished the game falls apart and just tried to be mgs1 but with far worse characters.

That was literally the point of the game.

It was a post-modern dissection of the industry and fan's expectations.

kuYuri

Great episode of DF Retro as always!

Would love to see you tackle Splinter Cell now that you've done MGS. Makes for a good contrast.

HeelPower

Amazingly sad that the Kojima's run with Konami ended on a sour note.

These people worked their hardest and put their brightest minds to task to make MGS , Silent Hill and other series.

Konami's upper management seriously went off the rails lately ,and shifted from making art to exploiting gambling addiction.

How the mighty have fallen.

Daffy Duck

Amazing game.

I don't remember the second half of the game at all and that tunnel section does not ring any bells at l, I should replay the game.

Grief.exe

Haven't really played it but the PC port looks pretty good to me. At least with the modern fan laucher.

I have a feeling it looks worse in front of you than after YouTube compression. What struck me is the game was so sharp but the lack of, or reduction, in DOF, post processing, and other effects meant that the tricks to cover up hardware limitations were non-existent.

Easily the most important game ever made from a story and themes standpoint, and also my favourite game of all time. I just can't praise it enough.

That was literally the point of the game.

It was a post-modern dissection of the industry and fan's expectations.

It's interesting going back and looking at the plot discussing the disinformation available on the internet corrupting humanity which contrasts to the reality in the US, Britain, and French elections.

I haven't played it in so long, so hopefully I'm not overreaching.

Amazingly sad that the Kojima's run with Konami ended on a sour note.

These people worked their hardest and put their brightest minds to task to make MGS , Silent Hill and other series.

Konami's upper management seriously went off the rails lately ,and shifted from making art to exploiting gambling addiction.

How the mighty have fallen.

The console industry is going to be winding down over the next decade, I don't really blame them by tapping out early. AAA game production in particular is a significantly risky endeavor.

I'm surprised Konami hasn't released an updated Legacy Collection for PS4/PC/XBO yet. Those type of remastered releases are low risk and high margin.

Oemenia

Banned
Dark, thank you again for yet another amazing piece of work. Can I make a request? Would you be willing to do Quake 2 and Doom 3. Both games had some incredible ports and who better to explain the wizardry than you?

Edit: What do you think was the reason for the annoying pauses for the codec convo's on the HD versions? Also which version do you think Bluepoint worked off of for them?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I feel like V doesn't have the attention to detail 1, 2, or 3 (or even 4, really) had because it was spread out over such a large area. The same few tricks just get repeated a lot.

Though V has its own technical achievements, for sure.

MGS2 and Mario 64 are the only two games that truly blew me away in their respective time. Both were almost other worldly in terms of what they offered.

The tanker will always be one of my favorite video game experiences.

nOoblet16

Amazing video and love how long and indepth they are. MGS2 was just impossibly good looking for its time.

MGS3 now please. The difference in scope was fascinating since PS2 had to do dense uneven jungle environment for MGS3 with the same sort of attention to detail that NGS2 had and it was fantastic. I absolutely loved the foliage and water in MGS3.

I'd also love to see Sheep Dog n' Wolf for PS1 covered someday but I doubt it'll happen because it's a game that wasn't that much popular plus it's hard to get (I think). It is imo the best looking PS1 game and very closely matches the Looney Tunes cartoons. It was trying to do 2D cartoon look before cel shading shaders were even available.

KdbcY1L.jpg

Check out how that wall goes from appearing like a 3D tunnel but turns out to be a flat 2D wall and this is despite not actually using cel shading (which didn't exist for games then) which is built to give 3D models a flat 2D look.
2s6qLEu.gif

shiyrley

Banned
dark10x, I remember playing the PC version on my old laptop (Intel Core 2 duo P7350 2 GHz, 9600M GT, 4 GB RAM) and the worst issue it had is that the codec loading was insane. Like "I thought it crashed" levels of insane. It would take literally like 10 seconds to open the codec EVERY SINGLE TIME. It was unbearable. Didn't you notice this under any hardware configuration for the PC version? Just curious.

HeelPower

The console industry is going to be winding down over the next decade, I don't really blame them by tapping out early. AAA game production in particular is a significantly risky endeavor.

I'm surprised Konami hasn't released an updated Legacy Collection for PS4/PC/XBO yet. Those type of remastered releases are low risk and high margin.

Yes ,but one would have hoped that Kojima would get out on favorable terms.

It looked really bad at the end.

Wonko_C

Check out how that wall goes from appearing 3D tunnel but turns out to be a flat 2D wall and this is despite actually using cel shading which is built to give 3D models a flat 2D look.
2s6qLEu.gif

What's funny is that to this day many games still do that then change the bitmap with real geometry as you get close. wowsometa.jpg

JOHN YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD! You were my favourite DF person already but dammit, now your a mgs breh.

A thousand thanks for covering this legendary game and my god it looks fucking great, still, running on the ps2. I recently purchased (and of fucking course) played the hd collection on PS3 and wa taken aback and the super clean visuals of mgs2. The post fx, camerawork, hell even textures and weather effects look great even today. I was particularly impressed with what they did with shadows and spotlights.

Mgs2 represents a breakthrough for cinematic gameplay and cutscenes in gaming. It wasn't just Hollywood level productions values that make it special, no it was also a damn fine gaming in visual, audio and gameplay that made it revered.

MGS V, while flawed, was a fantastic game. I probably played it for 200 hours, there really was so many things to do and so many ways you could complete your tasks. Plus it's the best controlling 3rd person shooter yet. It's easily my favorite Metal Gear game to actually play, even with it's annoyances.

Alienous

Man, Kojima's team are some miracle workers. Even up to MGSV, running a solid 1080p/60fps on PS4 and still pushing impressive graphics, animations and AI.

This video has made me really excited for Death Stranding - whatever happens I'm sure it'll be technically impressive.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I hadnt even thought of the 360 version of the HD Collection and BC.

Is this a thing yet? If not, what are the chances it will be?

Watching this brings back memories of how 11 year old me not fully comprehending what was happening on screen especially the story. Truly a masterpiece even to this day.

Grief.exe

Watching this brings back memories of how 11 year old me not fully comprehending what was happening on screen especially the story. Truly a masterpiece even to this day.

☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

Didn't understand the story back then, but I thought the confusing nature made it more interesting.

The story is more relevant these days as foreign powers and political parties use the internet for disinformation campaigns to subvert democracy.

Well they don't like to make money, so it's not that surprising to me.

Well they clearly do, but like many Japanese AAA publishers, they've become risk adverse.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just finished the video, great work.

I really wish there's an MGS3 DF Retro next, more to see the 3DS version being compared to the others.

Top Bottom