• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Shift |OT| You'll Get Caught In The Night

cj_iwakura

g9BhoDz.png

• Release Date: Out now!
  • Platform: PS4, XB1, PC/Steam, iOS
  • Genre: Interactive FMV
  • Developer: Wales Interactive

Late Shift is a high stakes FMV crime thriller. Forced into a brutal London heist, you must choose your own adventure in this interactive cinematic experience with adaptable storylines that lead to one of seven conclusions. Your decisions are you.

After being forced into the robbery of a lucrative auction house, student Matt is left proving his innocence in a brutal London heist. Your choices will have consequences from the very start, right through to the end. One small decision could change the entire outcome in a choose-your-own-adventure style gameplay that can lead to one of seven conclusions.

The game features more than 180 decisions in total, and however big or small they may seem, any one of them could be the turning point, sending you off on a different branch of the story. Some players may reveal harder to reach endings, some may make friends or enemies along the way, and some may even play different chapters because of a series of choices which are evaluated at key points in the game. You’ll have mere seconds to make your decisions as the film seamlessly continues to roll with no pauses and no looping footage.

v8ZGeTZ.png

Screens

Media

Official Site
PS Blog Article
Announcement Trailer

GameSpew Review (9/10)
The Sixth Axis Review (6/10)

FMV, live again!

xrnzaaas

I've done my second playthrough yesterday and the changes were nice, got two brand new scenes. As for the story itself, there's one thing that's really bothering me...
why doesn't Parr have any guards? I mean he's selling a collector's item worth millions and anyone can get into his house?

Played this last night with the other half, really enjoyed it, will do the other play throughs at my leisure, also picked up The Bunker which is currently £4.99 too.

fvng

This game is fucking awesome. Especially on follow up playthroughs when you get to see other sub plots unfold.

xrnzaaas

I've unlocked three endings so far and I'm enjoying the differences. They found a nice balance between providing fresh content based on your choices and reusing some scenes without making them look like they don't belong in the current playthrough.

El-Suave

Had a fun time playing this myself and watching my niece play a completely different path. This does a much better job branching and making choices meaningful than the average Telltale game does.

Had another play through last night, chose some different options and got another ending, I like how it really does change the story and doesn't just play the same story out slightly different. All in all a good game and looking forward some more goes and choices.

Tizoc

Had another play through last night, chose some different options and got another ending, I like how it really does change the story and doesn't just play the same story out slightly different. All in all a good game and looking forward some more goes and choices.

That's cool to hear, it reminds me of Banshee's Last Cry and its original JP versions where you choices would drastically change the plot of the path you are playing through.

fvng

I've played each time with a different group of friends abd family members and it's been great seeing how they react differently which ends up in entirely different sub plots.

Also it should. be said that the cinematography in this interactive film is awesome

wilco

Neo Member
I thought the game was ok and got 2 (bad) endings but the lack of fast forward killed my interest in going through it again. Can't play that beginning part over and over again...

Psykotik

just unlocked 2 endings. found 12/14 chapters so far.

my second playthrough had a pretty different third act and ending. good stuff. gonna see if i can get the other 5 endings over time.

My understanding is that The Bunker isn't quite the same as this and has more player input? Is that the case, can my partner and I not just sit down and watch it unfold like this did?

Finally got round to watching/playing this. It's pretty good, I thought the sound mix was really quiet though, sections with music really muddys the voice acting.

I got a pretty naff ending by going trigger happy towards the end hahaha

emag

Played through this on iOS (with chapter select) and got two endings, one bad (
May Ling bleeds out in a hotel room and the police burst in as Matt picks up the knife
) and one that is apparently the best (
Matt and May Ling walk away unharmed as Parr is taken away by the Tchois
).

Late Shift is elevated by its high production values -- it feels like an acceptable TV movie, with inoffensive to serviceable acting, writing and direction, even if the story and plot points are predictable and heavy on cliches. I was hoping for a genuinely surprising twist and a more interesting "best end", but I set my expectations too high. I experienced a few technical hiccups (touch targets in "The Lion's Den" lobby, less than ideal audio mixing at points), but I have to complement the engine and production as a whole, as it largely feels very fluid and continuous. Overall, I found Late Shift to be entertaining but not memorable (which is still a lot better than some Telltale-ish modern adventure games).

Sorry for the necrobump, just wanted to ask. Is there any jump scares or gore in this game? Wanted to try it out with the wife (it's on game pass), but she's not into scary/gory stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom