• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Thanks Flo_Evans, I just realised I have not posted an image of my current watch:

Junkers Chronograph Flight worldrecords JU 52

Junkers_.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wow, those Nomos watches look great. Where would I be able to buy them in the US?

The strap on my favorite watch snapped, so I think I should get some new watches too...

Rentahamster said:
Where would I be able to buy them in the US?

I think online is your best bet, unless someone here knows of a local importer/dealer.

The Nomos site has these:

Wempe Jewellers
Mr. Ruediger Albers
700 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10019

AMEICO
Peter Kahane
1 Church Street
New Milford, CT 06776

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Rentahamster said:
Wow, those Nomos watches look great. Where would I be able to buy them in the US?

The strap on my favorite watch snapped, so I think I should get some new watches too...
http://www.watchbuys.com is the official AD (authorised distributor) for Nomos watches in the USA, a very reputable seller btw.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Rentahamster said:
Thanks, Onkel. Damn, those timepieces look quite sexy. Hmm, new watch, new lens, new lights...decisions, decisions...
new watch should last you a lifetime and it's sexy understatement...:D
seriously, a sporty watch and a dress watch should be basic components for any serious wardrobe IMHO.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
just picked this up. should be here in a few weeks. probably going to replace my cartier as my everyday black dress watch.

2rw5n4x.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
AstroLad said:
just picked this up. should be here in a few weeks. probably going to replace my cartier as my everyday black dress watch.

2rw5n4x.jpg
congratulations! I am looking forward to seeing real world/wrist shots!

spoon!

GAF, I'm looking to pick up a Submariner LV. It'll be my first watch of this grade so I'm a bit concerned that the green bezel won't be as neutral as the standard black.

I absolutely love how it looks though :lol

Thoughts?

50thsub1WALLPAPER.jpg

I'm looking to buy a watch, but I specifically want a leather strap, silver face, and the three inset faces (chronograph?).

This is what I've been looking at:

352n34i.jpg

and

wguhvp.jpg

and

2uynkv5.jpg

I hate the chainlink strap--I know its effective for size increase/reduction, but it just looks clunky and fat--not to mention kind of gaudy. Looking for a subtle kind of strap.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I am considering going with something for everyday use and have been looking at a couple of Citizen watches, but I am trying to keep it cheap.

41ETf2UOQmL._SS400_.jpg

What do you guys think of that one? Never had an Eco-Drive. It's only $99

Also, this one is $240... very nice tho.

cover.gif

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Wellington said:
I am considering going with something for everyday use and have been looking at a couple of Citizen watches, but I am trying to keep it cheap.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ETf2UOQmL._SS400_.jpg[IMG]

What do you guys think of that one? Never had an Eco-Drive. It's only $99

Also, this one is $240... very nice tho.

[IMG]http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/richmedia/images/cover.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Nothing to do wrong with an Eco-Drive, good value for the money. The second pic doesn't show.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
been toying around with new tablet and old watch:
P1040634-1.jpg

Astrolad, still waiting for an Orion pic of yours...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hehe no prob i'll post it tonight just have to dust off my camera. i'd post a cellphone pic right now but i'm actually wearing my stowa today

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
AstroLad said:
hehe no prob i'll post it tonight just have to dust off my camera. i'd post a cellphone pic right now but i'm actually wearing my stowa today
nice, pic of said stowa would be good as well.

Ryu1999

My grandfather bought this watch in 1980, lost it in 1996, bought the exact same one. Then the tenant of his condo that he moved out of, found it and being a person of great integrity, gave it back to my grandfather. He gave it to me after I passed the bar

V-R10.jpg

Its the closest stock picture I could find, the face is silver, not champagne (maybe its just the lighting)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
astrolad, thanks for sharing! how do you like the Orion so far?
Cereal KiIIer, I LOLed:lol nice watch.
chimster, also nice watch. Which edition is it?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I like it a lot. Only complaint is that my tiny-ass wrist means that even the last notch is barely tight enough so I might have to do something about that.

KBox

Hey everyone, there's this site and magazine called Watchtime.
http://www.watchtime.com
It has a big database of many fine watches. They also have a convention coming up soon in several states, in case any of you are interested. I fancy the Panerai Ferrari watches. Over 7 grand.

24lip28.jpg

Dilbert

...that isn't a Skagen. I like the way they look -- simple, modern, uncluttered -- and the thin/lightweight profile is nice too, but from what I've read, they have two major problems:

1) The crystal covering the face cracks easily. (Some reviews even claim that the crystal cracks spontaneously -- yikes.)

2) They are supposedly loud as hell -- as in, people can hear them over TVs or music.

This watch would be a replacement for my "everyday crap watch" that I've been wearing for years: a stainless steel ESQ with a blue face that looks sort of like this...but less garish:

10224.jpg

The Skagens that I saw came in different coloring, but basically look like this:

41SonKFH8BL._SS500_.jpg

41dD2kiU1tL._SS500_.jpg

So I'd be interested in possibly going up to $200-300 for a decent replacement watch, but probably not more than that. I like the idea of having a nicer watch...but in practice, I only wear a watch consistently to work (since there are some areas that I can't bring my cellphone), so the value proposition isn't high for me. I'm not especially in love with blue faces, either -- black, gray, white all are in play.

I am interested in a nice, special occasion watch at some point, but that is something you only wear every once in a while. I am absolutely in love with the Nomos and Stowa watches that people have shown in this thread, but I don't think I could pull the trigger on something like that right now. :( However, I have made a note of them in case I ever do a "diamond earrings for nice watch" trade on an anniversary or something...

Thanks for any ideas!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
-jinx- said:
...that isn't a Skagen. I like the way they look -- simple, modern, uncluttered -- and the thin/lightweight profile is nice too, but from what I've read, they have two major problems:

1) The crystal covering the face cracks easily. (Some reviews even claim that the crystal cracks spontaneously -- yikes.)

2) They are supposedly loud as hell -- as in, people can hear them over TVs or music.

This watch would be a replacement for my "everyday crap watch" that I've been wearing for years: a stainless steel ESQ with a blue face that looks sort of like this...but less garish:

http://imgs.thewatchery.com/WatchImages/Med/10224.jpg[img]

The Skagens that I saw came in different coloring, but basically look like this:

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SonKFH8BL._SS500_.jpg[img]
[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dD2kiU1tL._SS500_.jpg[img]

So I'd be interested in possibly going up to $200-300 for a decent replacement watch, but probably not more than that. I like the idea of having a nicer watch...but in practice, I only wear a watch consistently to work (since there are some areas that I can't bring my cellphone), so the value proposition isn't high for me. I'm not especially in love with blue faces, either -- black, gray, white all are in play.

I am interested in a nice, special occasion watch at some point, but that is something you only wear every once in a while. I am absolutely in love with the Nomos and Stowa watches that people have shown in this thread, but I don't think I could pull the trigger on something like that right now. :( However, I have made a note of them in case I ever do a "diamond earrings for nice watch" trade on an anniversary or something...

Thanks for any ideas![/QUOTE]

How about a "Riki Watanabe" by Seiko?
[url]http://www.higuchi-inc.com/riki.html[/url]
[IMG]http://www.higuchi-inc.com/AAAA101.jpg

My goodness, what an interesting thread.

And like it was mentioned earlier, I am now fully cognizant of my lower-middle class status

All I have is a Stauer, but I do love it.

AstroLad said:
I like it a lot. Only complaint is that my tiny-ass wrist means that even the last notch is barely tight enough so I might have to do something about that.
What model Stowa do you own and how does that fit? I really like the look of the Antea 365, but I'm thinking my dainty-ass wrists would only be able to handle the Kleine Sekunde.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Antea Creme. I have uber-dainty wrists (have to go to the last notch on both the Stowa and the Nomos), but I actually like the way it looks and feels. The face is not so giant so much as it is deep.

AstroLad said:
Antea Creme. I have uber-dainty wrists (have to go to the last notch on both the Stowa and the Nomos), but I actually like the way it looks and feels. The face is not so giant so much as it is deep.
So the thickness is more of a concern than the width of the face? That's unfortunate, since the 365 is actually slightly thicker than the Creme.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
voodoojohn said:
So the thickness is more of a concern than the width of the face? That's unfortunate, since the 365 is actually slightly thicker than the Creme.
Really? tbh it's one of those things where when you look at it on a table it looks rather thick, but once you put it on you don't really notice it or see it. I don't know if I'd want to go much more than that though.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
As posted earlier in the thread, I have been rocking a Tag Kirium Chronograph for close to 10 years

cat65.gif

Lately I have been looking for a bit of a change as well as something to provide some contrast with a white or coloured face.

After discounting a couple of more expensive options (there was a really nice Rolex that I just couldn't justify), a few weeks back I picked up a Tag Formula 1

415rgSU1EpL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I never liked pictures of these on the net but saw a friend wearing one and liked the look of it in person when I tried one on. Picked one up on my last trip to the US and have been happily switching back and forth between the Kirium and this, with the Formula 1 tending to be the one I now wear on more casual occasions.

I've always been a big fan of watches, but never had a collection. I feel it's going to be a lot less than 10 years until I pick up my next watch :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nice Tag!

I think I'm gonna re-buy a Seiko Marinemaster in the near future, kinda miss it since the first one is gone:

smallP1030220.jpg

smallP1020528.jpg

smallP1020450.jpg

smallP1020427.jpg

smallP1010472.jpg

smallP1010471.jpg

smallP1010470.jpg

Sucks that the Yen is so strong right now...

Top Bottom